Author Topic: Raising Livestock Yourself  (Read 32920 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Raising Livestock Yourself
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:00 am »
Anyone here interested in that? Do you do it yourself or know of anyone close to you that does?

I am interested in raising livestock eventually in my life. I am going to school this fall and I am thinking about being a persona trainer for a while and then eventually raising meat to sell. I would think many people from this forum would like to buy from me. Especially for the quality, and the ability to order any part of the animal from me.

It is just a thought now, but I am seriously want to look into it. Maybe even start a small community and raise livestock together.

Any thoughts?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Livestock Yourself
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:52:18 am »
I live in Wisconsin and I was thinking more towards only raising Native Animals. In Wisconsin that would be bison, turkey, elk, deer, duck etc.

Offline PrimalLadyRosy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Primal Diet Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:51:34 pm »
I live in Wisconsin and I was thinking more towards only raising Native Animals. In Wisconsin that would be bison, turkey, elk, deer, duck etc.

What part of Wisconsin.  I know someone else interested in raising animals naturally in Wisconsin and eating raw.  Maybe you two could talk.
I am the creator of the primal diet friends social networking site, thanks to Jim and Barbara Ellingson's suggestion.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:50 am »
What part of Wisconsin.  I know someone else interested in raising animals naturally in Wisconsin and eating raw.  Maybe you two could talk.
I am located in Milwaukee. Yeah, that would be nice, let me know what's up!

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:23:15 pm »
Anyone here interested in that? Do you do it yourself or know of anyone close to you that does?

I am interested in raising livestock eventually in my life. I am going to school this fall and I am thinking about being a persona trainer for a while and then eventually raising meat to sell. I would think many people from this forum would like to buy from me. Especially for the quality, and the ability to order any part of the animal from me.

It is just a thought now, but I am seriously want to look into it. Maybe even start a small community and raise livestock together.

Any thoughts?

Sully, I've been wanting to have my own dairy goats... even if just for me. Partly because I think little baby goats are one of the cutest things in the whole entire universe. And partly because I feel like there isn't enough supply and there could potentially be a lot of demand. I know of only two natural (not "certified organic") companies (Redwood Hill Farm and Meyenberg) and all the products I've come across are pasteurized. There may be smaller scale dairy goat farms with raw products, but I haven't found any locally yet. I've never had raw goat's milk (feeling only slightly deprived) and I feel that I would do really well on it in moderation - and ayurvedically, it suits my constitution.

In addition, I could make truly raw goat cheese, super natural goat milk soaps, and in general (or "best of all!"), just have the cutest little kids bucking around! ;D

Your idea is very cool. It could possibly be a self-sustaining community farm/ranch and we could all be "weird"/natural/normal/primal together.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:53:41 am »
Cinna
Your idea about goats sounds good, especially for money, since I think many people do better on goats products than cows. I have had the same thought though, you know, even if I don't sell it, I will raise it for myself.

Oh, I am sure new born deer are cute too, and native! But I guess domesticated animals would be better for milk.  ;)

It is like a dream for me, we can make a bigger change in the world coming together. People might even want to make documentaries on us. Even I could make the documentaries, because I have experience editing and filming. Imagine what impact we could make while still being able to live comfortably and feed ourselves.

SO you stay in California?
The only question would be where would people want to live coming from different places on earth. Perhaps we can have multiple farm communities that are tied together all over the USA. I myself want to stay in temperate climate. I don't like desert dry heat places like Arizona and some places in California. If I can't walk around in the sun for two hours without getting burnt, I am not meant to live there. I almost never get burnt here in Wisconsin.
I stayed in Jordan for 2 months, I know.....   

It's not just me rambling... It will happen. mark my words!  ;)

We should have a poll on the forum, it would be like

Are you interesting in living in a farm/livestock raising community?

Where would you like it to be? Temperate zone? Desert/desert mountainous? Etc etc

What would you like to raise? Native animals? Dairy animals?

Do you want to grow plants? What kind? 

I want to do this, but it would be much easier with more people.
Even if I get a farm and start inviting people to come live on it. It will happen.

I am going to college for 4 years at University Wisconsin Milwaukee (my mom is poor, getting lots of benefits!) starting this fall. Maybe they will have a course that would be beneficial for this task.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:05:10 am »
I wanted to bring up farms in multiple areas on the globe because if I was 100% African, I wouldn't want to live in Wisconsin.
I am sure I would feel more suited to a warmer climate. You know. If I was full blooded Arabic, maybe I would prefer a Mediterranean climate like some places in California. Temperate zone is my favorite, and I can say that because I experienced the other climates. If I was somewhere in Arizona, I would want to be in the mountains where they get snow. But I still would get burnt in the summer.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:47:30 am »
So, people who live in this community.. Will they get everything there? Meaning, they will be able to live on the site, work the farm, eat the food produced from the farm etc..? Because that sounds good to me.

I'd go for somewhere where you could be outside all year round without insulation, and get chilled at the coldest points, but not need to put more on or go inside(though you may want to, you wouldn't feel it was necessary - you could take it if you wanted to, and just be cold). It'd be nice if there was nearby wilderness, so that people could go for spells out in the wild if they wanted, and just to be surrounded by a nice environment and clean air. The place should have plenty of plant-life, varied terrain, water. The site should not impose on the landscape or the environment. If it were to, then it should instead be built nearer the cities...

If it could be unimposing, then I might suggest somewhere like Montana... But if it would be, then I think you should not ruin some nice wild place, and instead build it in the countryside near a city or something... It also depends: Of course if you want to be exporting, and taking visitors and stuff, then it'd need to be near'ish a city, maybe California or something..
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 05:08:35 am »
Sorry to hear you have no access to raw goat milk Cinna!  After much searching here in the UK, I've had 3 or 4 good sources of high quality raw goat milk.  I used to make my own kefir with it and experimented with cheese.  Even though I don't currently consume any dairy, it's still a dream of mine to raise goats, chickens, fruit/veg etc.  Maybe the WAPF real milk campaign/website could help you find a source of raw goat milk?

The community you guys are talking about would be superb.  I hope it is something you do manage to organise Sully.  For a little experience, have you ever heard of WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) or the book 'Diggers & Dreamers'?  Albeit non yet paleo oriented but the world sure has it's fair share of such communities already.  On my travels across England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany and Canada I've done voluntary work on some of these places.  WWOOF and similar organisations contain lists of all the 'hosts' across the world.  One of the best I've stayed is a place in South-West England called Tinkers Bubble.  Basically, it's around 50 acres of woodland and meadow in one of the most beautiful parts of the country owned by a co-operative of about 30 or so adults and children.  I stayed there for a few weeks.  Members build their own house in a clearing in the woods (strawbale, yurts, timber-frame etc), grow and trade their own food, share meals around the open fire (not raw!) etc.  They have goats, fruit/veg, even an occasional pig!  There are many similar set-ups around and I'd recommend trying the lifestyle for size before you commit to starting your own.

On the subject of raising livestock, it's certainly something I have ambitions towards eventually.  Unfortunately, the price of land in the UK is crazy now so I'm planning on moving elsewhere for such a venture eventually unless I suddenly come into some serious money!  I have a few friends also keen on the idea so am hopeful it will happen.  I think it'd be a wonderful way of life and the quality of food & health it would bring would be phenomenal.  There seems to be a hell of a lot to learn to raise livestock in the normal fashion but to be a 'grass-farmer' I don't envisage as being too difficult.  Remineralisation of the soil is the key of course.  I highly recommend you research the work of William A. Albrech, Dr Elaine Ingham, Dr Arden Anderson, along with particular books including Bread from Stones, The Survival of Civilisation and Mainline Farming for Century 21.  The US organisation 'Acres USA' is also a source of great information.

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:50:49 am »
Miles,
Yeah that is my thought, all food will be provided from the farm/land. But no one said we can't hunt too. Imagine everyone with a hunting license, that's a lot of deer rabbits, etc!!!!!!!!!!! And we could hunt on are own land!

Hmmmm, I am not down with hot all year round myself. But anywhere you go you would need protection. South America lots of rain, desert gets freezing at night. Wisconsin and other temperate places gives you a taste of everything.

Ahh and yes, I was thinking the same. On the outskirts of a city. Not too close, but not too far. So we could ship meat and other stuff to local food coops. There is the Outpost Food CO-OP here in Milwaukee, they have three stores. There is also Sendiks and Health Hut they ahve multiple stores also. Near a city with many health food stores would be ideal.

Michael,
Yeah I have heard of WOOFING, that's what some call it right?
It would be nice to live with some grass fed bison farmers to see how they do it. I want bison because they are native to America, and there used to be millions. I don't like the idea of raising highly domesticated non native cows. (maybe 1-2 dairy animals for people who wish to have milk)

I don't know if there is much to learn from woofing that I will need to know. I would like to see how some grass fed farmers do it though. They say you can't get close to bison!! Big and mean and wild, just the way I like it.

land here in Wisconsin is cheap from what I know. It seems easy to me.
It could start off small...first raise turkeys (something small), then work are way up to deer and or bison, deer are smaller and docile. Most of the meat would be sold instead of eaten at first of course. WE would have plenty of food from hunting too, 10 dear can last all year round.
We need land and a house on the land. It could start off as 10-30 people in one house (depending on the size of the house). Start off small. In the beginning we could have fruits and vegetables and something small like turkey. I have it all mapped out at least for wisconsin here.

There is the Outpost Food CO-OP, Sendiks and Health Hut grocers they have multiple stores.  Not too mention farmers markets here too. Whole Foods grocery also. People on the forum could buy from us too.

BTW I skinned animals before and I am not squeamish one bit. I know what to expect and what to see. Nothing is eye opening to me.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:03:13 am »
To add, fruit would be a big thing for money (here there would be, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, pears, currants, mulberries, raspberries, cherries etc.), to think, we don't need much money, gas vehicles, shipping stuff, equipment. Taxes every year is cheap. Water cost (water would be cheap if it is coming from lake Michigan).

just got to network with  people who are legit and are seriously interested. I got a facebook page if anyone wants to add me. If you see my face book page, videos photos etc. You'll pretty much know me without even meeting me.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000035678641
 highlight the whoel thing and paste it, for some reason only part of it is clickable

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:07 am »
In the future I'll be buying from you  :D

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:09:39 pm »
In the future I'll be buying from you  :D
Hah thanks!
I can see my self screaming in a market! I got EYBALLS! WHO WANTS EYEBALLS? TESTES! ANYONE NEED TESTES? Haha just kidding.
But yeah when I raise animals, I will allow my costumers to have anything they want! Everyone should be able to have anything from the animal.

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 05:36:28 pm »
Sorry to hear you have no access to raw goat milk Cinna!  After much searching here in the UK, I've had 3 or 4 good sources of high quality raw goat milk.  I used to make my own kefir with it and experimented with cheese.  Even though I don't currently consume any dairy, it's still a dream of mine to raise goats, chickens, fruit/veg etc.  Maybe the WAPF real milk campaign/website could help you find a source of raw goat milk?

Hey Michael, when I looked at the WAPF site a long time ago, I must admit that I was pretty lazy about looking up the location of every goat dairy farm... If I hadn't heard of the city/town, I assumed it was too far and I just wanted my local HFS to carry the milk for my convenience. Some of the farms are a few hours away, but I may have found one that is maybe an hour and a half away! I really just need to do more investigating... I swear, I bet there is an organic, pastured dairy goat within a 15-mile radius... I live in the suburbs, but there are many rural-ly pockets in this area - I just know there is some raw goat milk around, just not advertised and maybe not for sale. I'll have to ask my sis... she has visited clients who had farm animals. So thank you for reminding me to look at the WAPF site again. :)

The community you guys are talking about would be superb.  I hope it is something you do manage to organise Sully.  For a little experience, have you ever heard of WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) or the book 'Diggers & Dreamers'?  Albeit non yet paleo oriented but the world sure has it's fair share of such communities already.  On my travels across England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany and Canada I've done voluntary work on some of these places.  WWOOF and similar organisations contain lists of all the 'hosts' across the world.  One of the best I've stayed is a place in South-West England called Tinkers Bubble.

I had never heard of WWOOF - very cool! And Tinkers Bubble is, like, the most amazing name ever. I think a baby goat should be named Tinkers Bubble. ;D  Thanks for the great info... so much to look into.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »
Ill buy from you to. Im an hour and a half away from milwaukee. Maybe eventually I can get some fresh non-frozen healthy meats!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 07:00:05 pm »
Cinna
Your idea about goats sounds good, especially for money, since I think many people do better on goats products than cows. I have had the same thought though, you know, even if I don't sell it, I will raise it for myself.

Oh, I am sure new born deer are cute too, and native! But I guess domesticated animals would be better for milk.  ;)

Yes, I do think all baby animals are cute. When I saw two little baby goats scampering around in a village in Nepal, I was beside myself. I didn't know that something so tiny, so cute, and so nimble could exist. I wanted to take them home... my Polly Pocket goats.

It is like a dream for me, we can make a bigger change in the world coming together. People might even want to make documentaries on us. Even I could make the documentaries, because I have experience editing and filming. Imagine what impact we could make while still being able to live comfortably and feed ourselves.

You could be a great teacher... you could make instructional hunter-gatherer videos. Teach workshops. :)

SO you stay in California?
The only question would be where would people want to live coming from different places on earth. Perhaps we can have multiple farm communities that are tied together all over the USA. I myself want to stay in temperate climate. I don't like desert dry heat places like Arizona and some places in California. If I can't walk around in the sun for two hours without getting burnt, I am not meant to live there. I almost never get burnt here in Wisconsin.
I stayed in Jordan for 2 months, I know.....    

I am going to college for 4 years at University Wisconsin Milwaukee (my mom is poor, getting lots of benefits!) starting this fall. Maybe they will have a course that would be beneficial for this task.

Yes, I think multiple farm communities, tied together eventually, would be cool. Yes, start small in your area, the place you know. I'll visit. :)  I think a place in California would be ideal - not just because I'm already here, but California has a lot to offer and I think enough open (at first I typed "crazy," but I'll just say "open") people who would be down for cool stuff like this. And if there aren't enough "open" people here right now, California attracts plenty of open people on a regular basis. :D

I encourage you to take whatever classes interest you that could prepare you for making this a reality. I know you will make your truest dreams come true. I'd like to help in ways that I can, but just FYI, I'm still part So Cal princess (quite low-maintenance for So Cal standards) so I prefer to do anything light and girly. I would milk goats and keep house. I'm open to learning how to hunt (and possibly butcher animals? hm...) and I loved fishing when I was little, but at the moment, I'm not like dying to build a house... I do dream of living in a log cabin, like the one Betty Ross lived in in the "Hulk" movie.

Also, something clothing optional would be awesome too. :o  

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:11:13 pm by Cinna »

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:21 am »
Hah thanks!
I can see my self screaming in a market! I got EYBALLS! WHO WANTS EYEBALLS? TESTES! ANYONE NEED TESTES? Haha just kidding.
But yeah when I raise animals, I will allow my costumers to have anything they want! Everyone should be able to have anything from the animal.
sully, U R AWESOME and so does your topic ! this is so interesting that recently i'm buying my products from an amish farmer from PA and i pay huge bills for eyeballs, testes, ovaries, glands, stomach, brain...etc. you just name it. i get them twice a month supply. comparing to buy from internet, this is the best. raising livestock also my life long dream. i see my entire family in back home does that. recently i've bought a country property to raise my own goat, sheep, deer, cow, roosters, ducks, turtles...etc. if there's a chance that we can do something together, i'm very interested to join with you. all the best!
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »
Raw,
Nice, I only got eyeballs and testes form wild animals.

Got you own property now. Did you get any of the animals you mentioned?
I am interesting in joining anyone who shares similar goals of mine! ;)

But, you know, what if I bought some land. And started a small community that got most of there food from hunting instead of farming? That would be illegal I guess (can't hunt all year round. Only Certain times and license is needed for legal activity)

But yeah, hooking up and raising animals would be nice. Perhaps you wouldn't even have to sell meat solely for income. Petting zoo? No feeder pellets, just give them some dandelion greens like I did at a farm. People were giving these already bloated goats pellets, and I gave em some dandelion greens :)

Or even have somewhat of a school to teach people about animals or something. Kids could take school field trips to the farm. Have people come and pick apples or other fruit. they pick what they want, and i'll just sell it buy the pound.

I don't want to turn into this big company. With thousands of animals. Just a small piece of land and be at peace with "enough money" TO LIVE HAPPY.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 12:26:34 pm »
Raw,

But, you know, what if I bought some land. And started a small community that got most of there food from hunting instead of farming? That would be illegal I guess (can't hunt all year round. Only Certain times and license is needed for legal activity)

But yeah, hooking up and raising animals would be nice. Perhaps you wouldn't even have to sell meat solely for income. Petting zoo? No feeder pellets, just give them some dandelion greens like I did at a farm. People were giving these already bloated goats pellets, and I gave em some dandelion greens :)

Or even have somewhat of a school to teach people about animals or something. Kids could take school field trips to the farm. Have people come and pick apples or other fruit. they pick what they want, and i'll just sell it buy the pound.

I don't want to turn into this big company. With thousands of animals. Just a small piece of land and be at peace with "enough money" TO LIVE HAPPY.

Get a good paying job or better start your own business...wisely invest then buy your own farm. I've looked into it and I can afford a farm outright but I don't know about the loneliness factor. I would rather have a place in the city and a farm owned outright. Live 50/50.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 11:46:50 pm »
Some of the farms are a few hours away, but I may have found one that is maybe an hour and a half away! I really just need to do more investigating... I swear, I bet there is an organic, pastured dairy goat within a 15-mile radius... I live in the suburbs, but there are many rural-ly pockets in this area - I just know there is some raw goat milk around, just not advertised and maybe not for sale. I'll have to ask my sis... she has visited clients who had farm animals. So thank you for reminding me to look at the WAPF site again. :)

Great news Cinna!  You could soon be enjoying your very own local raw goat milk.  I also highly recommend obtaining some kefir grains and using the milk to make raw goat kefir.  Glad I was able to help in some small way.
You know, it's amazing.  I bet you'll end up finding a supplier of raw goat milk close-by to where you live, that has been there for years and of which you've always been completely oblivious.  After years of buying mine from 300 miles away, I ended up finding TWO sources no more than 30-40min drive away from my home!  It really adds to the whole experience too when you get to meet and play with the goats, share tea and raw goat cheese with the owners etc!  :)

I had never heard of WWOOF - very cool! And Tinkers Bubble is, like, the most amazing name ever. I think a baby goat should be named Tinkers Bubble. ;D  Thanks for the great info... so much to look into.

Great idea!  I agree that it'd be a wonderful name for a goat.  I'll try to remember that for when I finally manage to get my own little goats. :)  Good luck with the investigations.  Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 11:57:02 pm »
Michael,
Yeah I have heard of WOOFING, that's what some call it right?
It would be nice to live with some grass fed bison farmers to see how they do it. I want bison because they are native to America, and there used to be millions. I don't like the idea of raising highly domesticated non native cows. (maybe 1-2 dairy animals for people who wish to have milk)

I don't know if there is much to learn from woofing that I will need to know. I would like to see how some grass fed farmers do it though. They say you can't get close to bison!! Big and mean and wild, just the way I like it.

It'd certainly be useful to learn from a variety of different grass-fed farmers and learn from their individual methods and experiences.  I think the WWOOFing (as they do indeed call it!) experiences would also be useful if you get to stay on some existing communities.  You may actually find that the way of life doesn't appeal to you in reality as it's not all quite as perfect as it may seem in theory.  Having said that, you do strike me as someone who would thrive in such an environment.

I agree with others that being close to a City and supplies would be preferable if possible as isolation is not necessarily a positive thing in many respects.  I do find I'm personally inclined towards a hermit existence but I'm not sure it's a natural or healthy way to live.  Sharing a community life with like-minded people whilst being able to dip in and out of 'normal society' certainly seems to offer a wonderful compromise.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 11:49:23 am »
kurite
Nice, when my dream does happen, I will kill the animal right in front of you, for some super fresh meat!

Cina
I like to teach people as long as they want to learn what I am teaching them.  Hah
I was thinking about getting some land with a house (and a barn) already instead of building a house. (perhaps build something in the future)

Clothing optional? Being naked when I choose is another dream of mine.

wodgina
That is what I was thinking, save money with a good job until I am about 30 or even younger. Then invest it in a farmland.

Michael
I am sure how some farmers live will not be appealing to me. But I am sure how I do things will be a bit different :)

Yeah, how some people act nowadays being a hermit doesn't sound that bad. I have very few good friends. Maybe less than five.

If  there were to be a whole community of people living on some land. A close bond between 20 or under people would be better than a so-so bond with hundreds. But there could be other farms/communities that are like partners you know.

For anyone interested in a community farm, we could talk on Skype. Skype is free to download. Instant chat, video chat, and mic chat. Easier to chat and share ideas quicker.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »
Raw,

sully, same way i think too. for me farming is only which is a hobby farm where me and my toddler will  enjoy animals as they are our pets. to eat them, i better prefer to go in wild and hunt them (even though i never done that before). in new jersey, you can hunt animals all year round from your property. in new york you can do that too, but i don't know the rules in other place else. i've just bought my country home and renovating this now. but i do see bunch of wild turkeys and deers all around my property. we (raw paleolithic diet) definitely need to build up our own community. when i go out with my toddler, it's not normal for him seeing other toddlers eating all those unhealthy foods when he only knows raw meat as his staple food. i mean it's really hard to see that entire civilized society on a wrong diet.   ???

for real, i am interested to do that. we all should contribute labors or money or both to build up a small community. if the land is huge and we are just a small group living in jungle, who'll know that! in Hawaii, some people living like that too (they are raw foodist, but not raw meat eaters). :D

bugs or country chickens

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 05:46:11 am »
I was thinking about getting some land with a house (and a barn) already instead of building a house. (perhaps build something in the future)

This makes sense I think Sully.  It's another dream of mine to build my own timber frame home but starting with an existing building is very wise.  I've known close friends and family who lived too many cold winters in caravans on site whilst building their dream homes and it doesn't appeal!

That is what I was thinking, save money with a good job until I am about 30 or even younger. Then invest it in a farmland.

If you can find work which pays very well then, yes, this is probably the best way to go about doing it.  I'm at this crossroads myself.  I've previously had a lucrative software development career but, finding it unrewarding, spent the last 10 years working in social work with vulnerable adults including substance misuse, mental health, offenders etc.  The pay wasn't good and I now have to decide whether to try getting back into IT to fund my self-sufficiency/farm/community dream or do it the hard(er) way.

I am sure how some farmers live will not be appealing to me. But I am sure how I do things will be a bit different :)

I get that impression! :)  It was more the living in a community setting that I thought may be worth trying first.  Although, in my experience, there's a big difference between joining an existing community and living with people you wouldn't, perhaps, necessarily choose to live with to setting up your own with others of your own choice.
I've tried on a number of occasions, on a small scale, to get like-minded people together to start a small eco-community.  I probably wasn't determined enough but found it a very difficult thing to do.

Yeah, how some people act nowadays being a hermit doesn't sound that bad. I have very few good friends. Maybe less than five.
Yes, my sentiments exactly.  I find there are very few people in the world that I'd be interested in being very good friends with.  Likewise, I have probably around 5 very close friends.  But, I guess everyone's like that.  It's all about our social circles - close friends, other friends, acquaintances etc.

For anyone interested in a community farm, we could talk on Skype. Skype is free to download. Instant chat, video chat, and mic chat. Easier to chat and share ideas quicker.

I've never really got on with Skype to be honest.  I think, living quite rurally, my internet connection is just not up to it.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 07:03:48 am »
Raw
It's good you have a kid, it's the best way to pass down information (especially raw meat eating etc.) I want to have kids as soon as I meet a woman on a raw meat diet.

Yeah a community for raw paleo dieters would be ideal especially for raising children. Community farm seems like a haven. A place of peace.
We need a good group of educated people. We could be are own doctors for stitches and broken bones. I know how to use a gun, skin a animal, skilled in martial arts everyone will bring different skills to the table. Carpenters, electricians etc.

I heard pf the group in Hawaii. I wouldn't be into that weather though. Tsunami, hurricane etc. Any place with little threat to a natural disaster sounds good. I am willing to relocate, just think my body is more suited for a temperate climate.to a place that gets snow in the year.

michael
Yeah, I don't want to join a already existing group that doesn't really fit me. It's better to start a community from scratch with people (15-20 perhaps.) that actually can coexist like family. When living with someone, you got to have minds in harmony and debate without conflict.

skype is a simple program easy to run, networking sites like facebook however have instant chat as well.
(anyone interested in a instant chat about a communality farm just send me a private message here through the forum)

I want to be part of a community of raw paleo/primal/raf within 8 years. I think the biggest issue would be people willing to relocate.

If you think starting a community of raw animal foods is hard. Look what he accomplished, makes you feel like you have no excuses for not doing what you want.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gc4HGQHgeFE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk