Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 369454 times)

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2010, 06:44:12 pm »
thanks, good info
currently i'm eating 1 pound of ground grass fed meat a day (beef, lamb, or vitellone) and i'm wondering if i should do more. its certainly a grand experiment.

How much fat / carbs do you eat with that? I eat about 500g meat + 200g fat in a day.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 10, 2010, 09:47:28 pm »
most of the time when i attempt that i either eat too much or too little. my body doesnt seem to "know" y'know.

Yes it does, you just need to learn how to listen.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 10, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »
Insert Quote
Quote from: dsohei on June 06, 2010, 05:23:04 AM
most of the time when i attempt that i either eat too much or too little. my body doesnt seem to "know" y'know.

Yes it does, you just need to learn how to listen.

I don't agree with this...when you're starting out your body is conditioned to a completely different diet, and not adapted to it. Even when you're into it, I find it very easy to crave the wrong foods.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 11, 2010, 02:02:26 am »
I don't agree with this...when you're starting out your body is conditioned to a completely different diet, and not adapted to it. Even when you're into it, I find it very easy to crave the wrong foods.

Nobody is talking about cravings. Your mind is in control there most of the time.

I'm talking about the amount of food to eat, i.e. when to stop eating
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 11, 2010, 02:10:54 am »
I don't see the distinction between listening to the body and cravings exactly, but I don't think the body will necessarily tell you how much meat and fat to eat at first. Even paleo people had limits imposed by nature, so it's hard to say how they would cope with unlimited whatever. Maybe, Maybe not.

When I tried that, I ate too little calories and went into starvation mode or didn't eat enough fat, or wanted to carb binge. If it worked for you great, but I've had more success measuring meals.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2010, 03:08:22 am »
I always weigh my food. It may seem pedantic, but that way I don't have to worry about it. Otherwise I will eat too little and get fatigued during the day, or I'll eat too much and feel sluggish from that.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 13, 2010, 11:53:44 pm »
I do have to force myself to eat more than my body signals for, or I lose too much weight--and I already have what some people would consider an "emaciated" body (though that's largely because I was born very thin and with fine bones and very little muscle tissue). I also have to drink more than my body calls for to minimize dehydration (and even doing so I'm still chronically slightly dehydrated). The Instincto instincts idea doesn't work for me--probably due to my body being messed up in some way. I know this is hard for people who have perfect instincts to understand, but I hope they will try to understand that not everyone has perfect instincts--even many months after adopting a RPD.

I think the key lesson to bear in mind, once again, is to speak for one's own experience, rather than for everyone.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »
I do have to force myself to eat more than my body signals for, or I lose too much weight-

That is the clear sign of digestion inefficiency and/or energy utilization. I was in exactly the same boat.  I am slowly gaining weight eating more or less the same amount.  I do not eat if I do not feel hungry.
I would like to think my digestion improved.
If and when I get to 10lb gain I would post more details.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:44 pm »
I do have to force myself to eat more than my body signals for, or I lose too much weight--and I already have what some people would consider an "emaciated" body (though that's largely because I was born very thin and with fine bones and very little muscle tissue). I also have to drink more than my body calls for to minimize dehydration (and even doing so I'm still chronically slightly dehydrated). The Instincto instincts idea doesn't work for me--probably due to my body being messed up in some way. I know this is hard for people who have perfect instincts to understand, but I hope they will try to understand that not everyone has perfect instincts--even many months after adopting a RPD.

I think the key lesson to bear in mind, once again, is to speak for one's own experience, rather than for everyone.

Sounds like you have poor nutrient absorption

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2010, 11:49:21 pm »
I've often wondering about this same issue and the above seems not to match up with conventional wisdom or science. I have never used a scale in my life with food, but since I get most of my intake from markets that labeled weight etc.. its easy to carve out through a visual estimate. Plus even if I had no health or body-weight concerns, I would have to estimate what I want to get per week or per order etc...

I find that there is a conscious amount to eat more than I care to at each meal (usually 2) but the total amount ends up being pretty low if one is to compare it to an average male of my size and build with the same goals. I suspect I have at least some digestive/absorbtion issues, but it seems like the tipping point of what turns into steady weight gain is still lower, and my body seems to be satisfied eating alot less - just not enough to corespond with those goals, so I dont know if this can be distilled entirely to inefficiency or deficiency. Although 'low' appetite might be indicating something. conversely, eating huge amounts of food w/o gain, or being constantly hungry, or visible signs of poor quality in tissue: skin, hair etc...or just obvious things like undigested matter in stools or indigestion symptoms, might be further confirmation.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 15, 2010, 01:59:34 am »
Instincts are good...but I don't think they'll always serve you right. A lot of animals overeat in captivity. I'm not saying we don't have any good instincts worth listening to, just that I don't think the idea that everything can be perfect and natural works.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 15, 2010, 04:48:30 am »
PaleoPhil and Josh, I answer to your last posts here :
explain-instincto-diet-fully/msg37600

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
OK, tomorrow I am going abroad for a while. I really, really want to avoid the Internet until c. early or mid-August , so please don't PM me or ask me any questions. I might be able to access the Internet once every 10 days or so, but I would far prefer not having to answer any questions and just quickly read a few e-mails each time, nothing more.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:20 am »
Have a good time!
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:16 am »
Sounds like you have poor nutrient absorption
Correct, and for probably my entire life, though it’s much improved over what it had been--as do others. That's one reason why relying on instinct alone can be dangerous for myself and probably others and why it's important that people not tell everyone in general to rely solely on instincts.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #490 on: July 03, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »
Well I'm back if only  for a few minutes. I'm eating raw horsemeat which is great stuff. Plus raw samphire, raw limpets and raw sea-urchin eggs and the like. The only minor flaw was remembering to bring a passport to the internet cafe. The fools in the Italian government passed a law, you see, which requires proof of identification in case you might be an Islamic terrorist or some such nonsense. Thank god we don't have such b****cks in the UK.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #491 on: July 03, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »
raw samphire, raw limpets and raw sea-urchin eggs and the like.

What do urchin eggs taste like?  I don't think I've ever seen nor had a chance to try any of those, but my mouth is watering.  I almost always like a new seafood.  I'm going to check if my oysters are still good.  They're in a plastic bag, yuck.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #492 on: July 03, 2010, 04:31:37 pm »
Difficult to say, I can never properly describe taste - a slimy, more sweet variation on raw oysters?

I note we have 1000 members, not bad.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »
Back for an hour or so. Been eating raw horsemeat and swimming in the sea and local mountain streams.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2010, 03:22:17 pm »
Interesting to see how old people over here routinely complain re temperatures above 30 degrees being too hot.  Aajonus stated that the glands are the most affected by cooked diets, and it seems he was right as the glands control so many  processes such as body temperature etc.

Well, not much to report from over here, except that sun-exposure seems to always make me glow with health. Perhaps it should be made  legal  for people to go around town with their tops off in summer so that we can all get enough sun.

Back in 2 weeks.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 17, 2010, 05:55:24 pm »
Well, if my skin is bare, high temperatures are nice, and give me no discomfort. Just wear a t-shirt though, and aside from insulating me unnecessarily, it is stopping me from perspiring effectively.. Then I get very uncomfortable. And and almost everyone over here wears a t-shirt no matter what the temperature...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #496 on: July 30, 2010, 09:07:43 pm »
Just had yet another accident when going down a steep path from some rock-pools up a mountain-stream. My blasted, faulty sandals came apart(the kind that have an adhesive section) so I fell off to the left and got a branch gouging  2 minor wounds in my skull and face, respectively. Got stitched up as a result of  competent doctors and assistance of some Swiss tourists. Just need stitches removed in a few days.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #497 on: August 03, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »
Well, it seems I am now in the process of doing a top-secret RPD experiment. I will reveal all in a few months or so.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 03, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »
Oh shit, sorry you had an accident. Look forward to hearing about the secret masterplan.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 03, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »
Williams pemmican diet?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk