Author Topic: Salmonella food poisoning  (Read 38566 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Salmonella food poisoning
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:04:51 pm »
So after 1lb and 1/2 of raw free range chicken...I acquired Salmonella food poisoning
 last night  -v. Any advice on treating it or overcoming it quicker? What should I eat?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Salmonella food poisoning
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:06:31 am »
How do you know you have it?

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:33:55 am »
Because i have all the symptoms:
# Sudden onset of symptoms
# Severe headache
# Vomiting
# Diarrhea
# Abdominal cramps
# Fever
# Flu-like symptoms
# Loss of appetite

Offline andvanwyk

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:45:25 am »
I got very ill from raw free range chicken in January as well. It put me off eating raw for many months. I've eaten venison raw, beef raw, fish raw (some of it quite stinky and old) and felt fine. Still scared to try chicken again...

All the things I did in January when I got ill weren't very paleo at all, but seemed to do the trick. I think I took deglyzzyrinized licorice root, aloe vera, vitamin c, probiotics and lots of bed rest.

I remember reading on Dr. Mercola's website a while back that for Salmonella he just gives a good strength probiotic every hour until the patient starts to feel better.

Good luck!

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:25:44 pm »
Haven't tried but 8 drops of Lugol's solution should do the thing. Have read that it takes as little as one hour to get over of it. If not another dose should be taken. Probably depends how severe the case is.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:59:24 am »
Note to every newbie here:- Avoid raw chicken like the plague, no matter how organic or grassfed it is. Chickens, even organic ones are in 99.9% of cases so intensively farmed and fed organic soy and other crap , that they are nutritionally worthless, quite aside from potential side-effects. Go for animals raised on grass such as raw lamb etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:59:06 am »
Several months ago now I ate about 20 organic free-range chicken breasts and some thighs every single week for a couple of months. I used to eat this plus much raw fish like tuna and salmon and a little fruit, including avocados when my eczema was very bad. My eczema improved on this diet.
I bought the chicken from sainsbury's supermarket. But I havn't eaten chicken in ages now, because I moved house and didn't live near a sainsburys supermarket and then I moved country where sainsburys doesn't exist and, for the reasons Tyler mentioned, I don't trust most chicken.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:37:54 am »
I thought I was safe because I got my chicken from Slankers : http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/pastured_chicken.htm. But I guess not...it makes me question their other products. I really wish I had access to wild game because that is truly the only way to be absolutely sure the animal was raised properly...unless of course you own some livestock and raise it yourself.

I had to go the emergency health care clinic because i was getting too dehydrated due to running to the toilet every 30 mins for the last 24 hours. Explaining that I intentionally ate raw chicken was an interesting experience and the doctors seemed to act very condescending after that. They injected me with antibiotics, gave me a prescription for more antibiotics and told me to eat the BRAT diet (Bananas Rice Apple Sauce Toast). Right now I'll probably follow it a bit since I've completely lost my appetite for raw meat at the moment. Hopefully I'll be back to raw next week...though everybody in my family is giving me the "Told you so!" routine after warning me of the dangers of consuming raw meat.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:48:56 am »
What do you think of free-range raw chicken eggs?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »
I personally am OK with free-range, organic raw eggs. The kind I get taste far better than merely free-range raw eggs. I wouldn't call them ideal but I eat them if I can't get hold of decent amounts of raw fats like raw tongue or raw marrow.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline quietmule

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • The Crumbs of Society
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 05:36:05 am »
I thought I was safe because I got my chicken from Slankers : http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/pastured_chicken.htm. But I guess not...it makes me question their other products. I really wish I had access to wild game because that is truly the only way to be absolutely sure the animal was raised properly...unless of course you own some livestock and raise it yourself.

I had to go the emergency health care clinic because i was getting too dehydrated due to running to the toilet every 30 mins for the last 24 hours. Explaining that I intentionally ate raw chicken was an interesting experience and the doctors seemed to act very condescending after that. They injected me with antibiotics, gave me a prescription for more antibiotics and told me to eat the BRAT diet (Bananas Rice Apple Sauce Toast). Right now I'll probably follow it a bit since I've completely lost my appetite for raw meat at the moment. Hopefully I'll be back to raw next week...though everybody in my family is giving me the "Told you so!" routine after warning me of the dangers of consuming raw meat.

don't know if eating raw meat so quickly after antibiotics is a good idea. if you get sick again from something, you're immune system won't be able to handle it. maybe just take some probiotics for a little while.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:28 am »
Any advice on treating it or overcoming it quicker? What should I eat?
Activated charcoal or/and bentonite clay in adequate amounts (with water).
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:46:58 am »
I sometimes wonder if salmonella is just a scapegoat that distracts people from the fact that there are other contaminates involved in food poisoning that allow the bacterial bugs to infect those afflicted.  The recent egg recall was linked by the mainsteam with feed contaminated with "salmonella" but I'm not convinced. The feed might of been contaminated with other toxins that weakend the immune systems of the birds and allowed the toxic waste to be passed on to who ever eats it, and salmonella is singled out as a cause, while all other factors are ignored.(germ theory)

I used to eat raw chicken when I started out paleo, sometimes I would feel good after eating it and sometimes it would not set right with my instinctual intuition(no food poisoning, just a hunch)I did have diarrhea after eatting some chicken livers, so I quit eatting chicken alltogether, I keep 6 free range chickens and drink about 3 eggs a day.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »
I sometimes wonder if salmonella is just a scapegoat that distracts people from the fact that there are other contaminates involved in food poisoning that allow the bacterial bugs to infect those afflicted.  The recent egg recall was linked by the mainsteam with feed contaminated with "salmonella" but I'm not convinced. The feed might of been contaminated with other toxins that weakend the immune systems of the birds and allowed the toxic waste to be passed on to who ever eats it, and salmonella is singled out as a cause, while all other factors are ignored.(germ theory)
That's why it's very important to eat only organic, free-range and pastured chickens, hens, roosters, ducks, etc. and their eggs.
Commercial paultry is a disaster.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:04:02 pm »
Activated charcoal or/and bentonite clay in adequate amounts (with water).

I wouldn't use clays that have been produced through volcanic activity , like most bentonite clays They contain a lot of heavy metals.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 06:11:19 pm »
I wouldn't use clays that have been produced through volcanic activity , like most bentonite clays They contain a lot of heavy metals.
These potential heavy metals are effectively binded by the particles of the clays so they are harmless.
But you can use activated charcoal as well - it's very good.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:18 am »
I also got salmonella poisoning the one time I tried eating raw chicken.  I don't eat raw chicken anymore; I stick to herbivores exclusively.  I'll occasionally eat eggs, though.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
    I tried that stuff labeled "bentonite" clay, with adequate water.  It made me sick.  Now I read it's sodium based and exposed intentionally to high heat processing.  I find terramin clay good.  It's also considered a bentonite, but not heated and calcium based.  Being calcium based I think it would also absorb excess fluoride out of you.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:28 am »
Note to every newbie here:- Avoid raw chicken like the plague, no matter how organic or grassfed it is. Chickens, even organic ones are in 99.9% of cases so intensively farmed and fed organic soy and other crap , that they are nutritionally worthless, quite aside from potential side-effects. Go for animals raised on grass such as raw lamb etc.
this is the same reason i never tried raw chicken ever. i don't mind the wild turkeys though.
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 05:50:38 am »
this is the same reason i never tried raw chicken ever. i don't mind the wild turkeys though.

No problem here as long as the chicken is truly pasture raised etc.  Wild turkey, wow, I should try that one.  Was it hard for you to get?  I was scared of trying chicken at first, more than all the other meats.  It did me no harm though.  I stopped eating it this year; because most of the chicken around has never seen the light of day.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 01:02:27 pm »
    No problem here as long as the chicken is truly pasture raised etc.  Wild turkey, wow, I should try that one.  Was it hard for you to get?  I was scared of trying chicken at first, more than all the other meats.  It did me no harm though.  I stopped eating it this year; because most of the chicken around has never seen the light of day.
i see so many of them(wild turkeys) in my country home. they are roaming around my property all day long. i'll try soon and you can join with me.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 03:42:22 am »
I think I may have gotten salmonella poisoning too, or something I'm not sure, because I've had diarrhea for 3 days now.  No vomiting, only slight headaches(more likely from dehydration than anything else), I don't know if I have a fever or not i don't have a thermometer, and I only get bad stomach pains when I have to use the bathroom, after I go I feel better for a little while, though still a little sick, but it's bearable.  So it seems only a mild case, if it's even salmonella, though I don't know what else it could be, even though I didn't even eat any raw eggs/meat for more than 24 hours before I got sick.  I haven't eaten anything either for about a day and a half now, hoping that would help, because eating only seems to make it worse, so I want to try to fast until this goes away.  But it's been more than a day, and I'm pretty hungry, and the symptoms haven't gone away.  I don't know what I can do to make it better, though.

Where do you guys get your charcoal/clay?  I've never seen that stuff on sale anywhere, I have no idea where I'd be able to get any.. Also what kind of probiotics do you take?  I'd prefer to take more natural probiotics, like high-meat, but unfortunately I don't have any high meat.  I have read on the labels of the raw milk and butter I've bought that it's a good probiotic, so I was wondering if I should go buy some raw milk today and drink it?  And maybe eat some raw cultured butter, too.  But I'm also afraid to eat anything because it only seems to make the symptoms worse.  As for the other kind, though, I'm assuming they're something like pills or powders or liquids or something of the sort, what brands/types are best to take?  I don't know if I'll even be able to find any probiotics, other than milk and butter, but I can check today before I go to work.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:21 am »
I think I may have gotten salmonella poisoning too, or something I'm not sure, because I've had diarrhea for 3 days now.  No vomiting, only slight headaches(more likely from dehydration than anything else), I don't know if I have a fever or not i don't have a thermometer, and I only get bad stomach pains when I have to use the bathroom, after I go I feel better for a little while, though still a little sick, but it's bearable.  So it seems only a mild case, if it's even salmonella, though I don't know what else it could be, even though I didn't even eat any raw eggs/meat for more than 24 hours before I got sick.  I haven't eaten anything either for about a day and a half now, hoping that would help, because eating only seems to make it worse, so I want to try to fast until this goes away.  But it's been more than a day, and I'm pretty hungry, and the symptoms haven't gone away.  I don't know what I can do to make it better, though.
What was the last raw meat you ate before you got sick? Also what other things you ate in those 24 hours? Maybe its just food poisoning... I had food poisoning 3 times in my life from cooked food and never from any raw meat...so it could have been a bad pizza, I once had a 'fancy' pizza and was sick for a day and a half after (my bf. had the same pizza and also felt real shitty, so we knew exactly what it was).

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 06:44:23 am »
What was the last raw meat you ate before you got sick? Also what other things you ate in those 24 hours? Maybe its just food poisoning... I had food poisoning 3 times in my life from cooked food and never from any raw meat...so it could have been a bad pizza, I once had a 'fancy' pizza and was sick for a day and a half after (my bf. had the same pizza and also felt real shitty, so we knew exactly what it was).

I'm pretty sure it wasn't raw meat.  But I only eat organic 100% grass-fed ground beef from trader joe's.  It might have been raw egg yolks, though they were organic free-range eggs, but I ate them in the morning.  That night, many hours later, I ate some pineapple and mango, and then well.. I stuffed an entire slice of pizza down my throat nearly swallowing it whole, to impress a guy (stupid, I know, but the heart is foolish.) and hardly chewed it, probably about 5 - 10 chews, and swallowed the whole slice down in about two bites.  The night and even the next morning I felt fine, but a little later in the day I felt sick.  I thought it was the pizza that had me feeling sick, the first day I had stomach pains and diarrhea, but then when the diarrhea continued to persist, I thought maybe it was something else.  My dad ate from the same pizza, and is perfectly fine.  So I have no idea what it could be.

Would raw milk and raw cultured butter be an effective antidote, though?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 06:59:21 am »
Okay well, I'm about to leave soon so I can stop by the store before work, lets hope drinking raw milk and eating raw cultured butter doesn't kill me.  or make me sicker.   :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk