Author Topic: Beef and fish raise insulin?  (Read 10909 times)

Offline Adam

• Forager
    • View Profile
Beef and fish raise insulin?
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »
Is there any truth to this?
"A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (vol. 66, p. 1264, 1997) by the department of biochemistry at the University of Sydney, Australia, found that beef raised insulin levels more than white pasta and that fish raised them more than whole-grain bread. When compared with rises in glucose levels, beef raised insulin levels 27 times higher than brown rice did!"

http://www.earthsave.org/health/hiprotein.htm

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Beef and fish raise insulin?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »
Cooked or raw?

When I ate cooked beef, I experienced fatigue more often.

Offline andvanwyk

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:02:50 pm »
Protein can raise insulin and blood glucose levels...

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
Its true but what they neglect too tell you is that yes it raises your insulin but unlike carbs it also releases glucagon which is an antagonist to insulin

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:05 pm »
Its true but what they neglect too tell you is that yes it raises your insulin but unlike carbs it also releases glucagon which is an antagonist to insulin

Yeah. Another problem is that the insulin index study was done on patients who had likely previously been on some sort of carb based diet. Not to mention that this was done with very lean meats, and relatively little fat.

The real problem is that your insulin mechanism and the pancreas have a memory. Your insulin response to food is based on what you have been eating lately, not what you have eaten just then. It takes a day or two, if memory serves me correct (and my experience confirms this), for your insulin response to food to change.

However, I will say that if you are significantly insulin resistant and have either hypoglycemia or diabetes, that even if you are zero carb, too much protein can cause problems similar to too many carbs.

People like me have their insulin/glucagon response damaged and too much protein for me causes the same reactive hypoglycemia I get with carb intake, so the insulin response is still too high for the glucagon to completely counteract it if I'm not careful.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:16:26 am »
In "There is a Cure for Diabetes" by Gabriel Cousens, he writes on page 39ish that although meat, fish and dairy are low gylcemic, they are high insulin index

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:56 am »
I was developing diabetes prior to the raw diet, my sugars would spike up to 130 after I ate any carbs and even higher if I ate a large meal 170 -180 as soon as I switched to a very low carb raw ketogenic diet my sugars would only spike to about 110 after a big meal of meat and fat , and after a month it leveled out to 100 and then about the three month mark it stabilised into the mid 80s

now I eat a large meal of meat and fat and my sugars don't go over 85 (I call this diet a cure)

All mainstream diabetic studies are conducted by scientist who begin with preconceived false hoods that whole grains and vegtables are the optimum food for diabetics so when they study the effect of meat on diabetics they don't remove the poisonous carbs and repace it with raw fats, and low and behold the meat causes the insulin spikes and worsens the condition, These scientist are working from a faulty template and there are big money organizations that will never do double blind studies on people like me who thrive off of a raw ketogenic diet
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:30:37 am »
I was developing diabetes prior to the raw diet, my sugars would spike up to 130 after I ate any carbs and even higher if I ate a large meal 170 -180 as soon as I switched to a very low carb raw ketogenic diet my sugars would only spike to about 110 after a big meal of meat and fat , and after a month it leveled out to 100 and then about the three month mark it stabilised into the mid 80s

now I eat a large meal of meat and fat and my sugars don't go over 85 (I call this diet a cure)

All mainstream diabetic studies are conducted by scientist who begin with preconceived false hoods that whole grains and vegtables are the optimum food for diabetics so when they study the effect of meat on diabetics they don't remove the poisonous carbs and repace it with raw fats, and low and behold the meat causes the insulin spikes and worsens the condition, These scientist are working from a faulty template and there are big money organizations that will never do double blind studies on people like me who thrive off of a raw ketogenic diet

Man I hope this way of eating fixes mine like it did yours!

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 05:26:07 am »
yeah I am on a very low carb diet 30g per day or so, My main carb source is coconut butter and lemon water, 70% calores fat(fatty meat , Lamb suet,bone marrow)25 protein(red meat and eggs),5% carbs(lemons coconut)

The occasional avocado okra or tomato,(fruit makes me feel bad so I strictly limit it)

also oysters, and organ meats once a weak or two

The key is the 70% RAW FAT, THATS WHY ALL THOSE STUDYS SHOWING NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF MEAT CONSUMTION DONT APPLY TO US LOW CARB-ERS, they all assume that you can eat grains and high glysemic foods without negative effects(you cant if you are already have a damaged insulin glycogen responce)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:16:46 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk