Author Topic: my so called journal  (Read 123264 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: my so called journal
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2009, 12:48:16 am »
Thanks lex. I have a little scale and if I feel strongly enough about it I'll break it out and weigh the usual amount of suet I eat. The scale only goes up to 100 grams so I would probably have to use a tared container and weigh several portions. With the meat it would take even longer. That's why I didn't feel like doing it.

So last night I had a head ache and didn't feel much like eating. For lunch I had my usual fare, and at night I just had a little bit of heart and then a little bit of suet. I'm trying to keep my weight at least where it is now while I go through these changes. Oh also I had perhaps a tablespoon of honey at lunch.

I don't know what it is keeping me from doing my normal cheat meals.

The most challenging part is that I'm feeling a little less good than normal and also not enjoying my food.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2009, 07:31:16 am »
I had a cheat meal last night and it's much like I expected, I felt the same as any other time. It's really a bummer I can't eat spicy food anymore without getting stomach cramps.

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2009, 02:55:27 am »
I never really could eat really spicy food without getting stomach cramps, even on SAD. I loved indian food, but whenever I ate it I had horrible indigestion followed by a lot of gas. After a while I decided that even though I loved the flavors of spicy foods, they weren't worth the discomfort that followed.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2009, 04:27:54 am »
It's a hard lesson to learn.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2009, 12:39:29 am »
I've been very derelict in my journal.

Update, I'm going to give zero carb, or as close as I can come to it, a try for this week and see what happens. I have a modeling meeting (possible new job opportunity in the works for me) and want to see if there will be a short term loss of a bit of fat and water weight, and maybe a skin improvement.

Then I will probably go to eating perhaps a piece of fruit a day along with muscle meat, fat and organs. I'm slowly giving up the idea that I can have a cheat day, as every time I try that the effects end up being more negative that the meal is worth. Sometimes the meal isn't even that good, it's more the anticipation and memory of how much I used to like this or that. I'll have to try and keep my mind occupied with coming up with an exciting fruit to try a bit of rather than planning out a restaurant trip once a week.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:08 am »
My weekend was a little crazy. Friday night I had a headache, got to my friends house, he was having a huge loud party, and I had to get to sleep so I could wake up at 6:00 am the next morning. I didn't bother eating a dinner as I wasn't in the mood to be the center of attention for my raw meat eating with my headache and all, I was already the center of attention for having to go to sleep to get up the next day for this modeling gig. I used to like being different, but with food it's getting old.

Anyway, the headache went away during the night, although I didn't sleep much. Some of my friends were still up and partying when I got up.

I've been sticking pretty close to my new plan. I had some raw cheese I bought a couple weeks ago that I ate a couple times throughout the week, and had a couple teaspoons of raw honey last night. Saturday night I had some fruit salad with walnuts and honey drizzled on it, that was pretty damn good. I limited myself to a small bowl full. And during this week I've been eating pretty much all muscle and fat, sometimes with a sauce on it. The down side is that the sauce isn't raw or anything like that, but I just try to put a little on to keep up my interest in the food. I find that the longer I go without eating something off the diet, especially if I'm at or near zero carb for a few days, raw meat meals look less and less appealing.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2009, 01:01:32 am »
Oh geez, it's been a while. Well I certainly went off my diet a bit recently due to social reasons. New girlfriend and all. I made some pemmican recently which was fun. I might go in for some more cooked paleo type stuff while cooking for my gf and friends to try and bring them over to a better diet. Not a bad compromise I think.

One thing I noticed is dandruff after consuming a lot of carbs. It will be interesting to see how quickly or if that goes away once I lower them back down to my previous levels.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:45 am »
I'm having trouble keeping up with the forum anymore. If anyone has a question for me or a thread I was posting in and forget to respond, please pm me about it if you can.

I'm mostly raw paleo still, trying to keep it real. My girlfriend even tried a piece of raw ox liver this weekend. I didn't even ask her too. That's the best way to get people to try something, not try, just lead by example and anyone with half a brain and curious nature will eventually want give it a try.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2010, 07:18:23 am »
I'm gonna try and do a Primal Diet experiment. No green juice though, maybe a green salad every few days instead. My girlfriend said she'd try it with me.

Offline aunaturale

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2010, 07:23:29 am »
I'm gonna try and do a Primal Diet experiment. No green juice though, maybe a green salad every few days instead. My girlfriend said she'd try it with me.

Let us know what your diet will consist of. I'll post up something similar when
I get my 30 lbs of fat this Friday  -v
haha.
"The more I learn what is a man, the more I want to be an animal."

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2010, 07:20:20 am »
I'm gonna have to wait until I can place another order with my co op, but I'm thinking one or two of the Primal diet moisturizing formulas a day, probably with less honey cause I try to keep the carbs lower then AV recommends. Then maybe a milkshake every day, maybe less often. Other than that just stick to what I'm doing, raw muscle, fat and organs. And then every once in a while a green salad with non sweet fruits and maybe a raw dressing. I'm more adding some Primal things than doing exactly what AV says. I will not go back to green juice, it's way to expensive, time consuming and doesn't even make me feel good.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:51 am »
Well my Primal Diet experiment ended pretty quickly with mildly negative results. Just like I remembered dairy shakes, however raw and grass fed, make me feel a little bloated. The feeling is actually worse then most cooked foods. I'm thinking liquid foods might hit the digestive system to fast and hard, not to mention the allergic nature of the proteins and sugars in dairy.

More broadly I'm coming slowly to the conclusion that cooked paleo foods, at least for me, are better than raw non paleo foods. Even the foods some people claim as paleo, like most fruits.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2010, 05:43:37 am »
What other negative results do you have?  or is it simply bloated feeling?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2010, 07:27:12 pm »
Well unfortunately I don't notice a whole lot of things when I change what I eat. I think in the grand spectrum I'm much less sensitive to food than many of the people on this forum. One thing I notice though is dairy does tend to give me a stuffy nose, especially when I'm going to bed that night. That's the only thing I notice consistently other than the constipation.

One another topic I'm looking at schools to apply to for a biology or related PhD program. I found at UPenn in Philadelphia some interesting stuff, like paleobiology, but the staff I've been emailing are discouraging.

Here's how the conversation went. I said greetings, then this:
"More importantly I'm interested in applying to UPenn as a graduate student, I earned my B.S. in biology at Rowan University in Spring 2008, and could use advice on a program. My main interest in biology is diet/nutrition and it's effects on disease, how nutrition works with genetics, etc. My second interest is in ecology. I think I would be happy doing research in any topic related to those, but my main passion has to do with the effects of diet on health, looking at how different food processing techniques change the food at the molecular level and gene expression ala epigenetics. Do you have any staff working on anything like that? I'm at the seminal part of my grad school search so any advice would help."

and this was the first response:

"Thank you for your interest in the Biology Graduate Program at the University of Pennsylvania.  I will be glad to answer your questions and assist you through the admissions process.

The University of Pennsylvania does have a Paleobiology Program and Ocean Biogeochemistry program, but they are in our Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences Department, not in Biology.   Here is a link to the website - http://www.sas.upenn.edu/earth/research.htm.   However, it is possible that you were also reviewing Penn State University's website. They have Paleoecology and Oceanography.

Penn State University is a different institution than the University of Pennsylvania, but sometimes, people do confuse the two schools.   Penn State is a state-run school with campuses throughout the state of Pennsylvania.  The University of Pennsylvania is a private school with one campus located in Philadelphia, PA.  Please note that our application process is not connected at all.  There have been a few cases where someone is applying to our program and meant to apply to Penn State, and vice versa.

Penn State's website is http://www.gradsch.psu.edu/prospective/.

The Biology Department does not have a program in diet and nutrition.  There is a possibility that the Biomedical Graduate Studies Program in the Medical School may have something of interest to you.  They have programs on diseases and genetics, but I am not sure about diet and nutrition.   Their web page is http://www.med.upenn.edu/bgs/index.shtml.   The Cell and Molecular Biology Program has sub-divisions in Cancer Biology, Gene therapy, and Genetics.

Our School of Nursing does have a Nutrition minor for undergraduates.  They also have a Doctoral Program which is one that develops an individualized plan of study.  You may wish to contact this department to see if they can assist you with your goals of studying diet/nutrition and efforts on disease.  Their web page is http://www.nursing.upenn.edu/admissions/doctoral/Pages/about.aspx."

which was pretty ambiguous and not helpful, so I decided to give a little information about my interests, and this is what I got. this next message was from another staff member, the first one forwarded my second email and asked if they had any suggestions:

"It sounds like your interests mostly relate to human nutrition. This is not Penn's area of strength, but we do offer a minor in nutrition through the Nursing School. I think you should explore the programs at Penn State.  But, don't tell them about your interest in the paleo diet.  No one really knows what people ate before the invention of agriculture, and they will think you are a nut. In any case, this interest is not the sort of thing you build a career on."

I left out the greetings and sincerelys, but that's the body of my correspondences so far. Not very encouraging at all, that last one very discouraging, in a lightly put kind of way. The main reason I didn't go straight to grad school in the first place was the attitude of the biologists I'd come into contact with. I knew that I would have to keep my mouth shut about certain stuff and go along with the pack until I finish a program, but right off the bat I'm getting dismissive emails from staff. I'm not going to give up or anything, but it's very frustrating to see that biologists are mostly concerned with building their careers and don't seem to care about respecting nature and learning about it. These days biology is about fighting nature, dominating it, and the results as we've seen tend to blow up in faces. Science is great and all, but most of the journal articles I read seem weak science at best, and the attitude of the scientists is arrogant and like I've said dismissive of other viewpoints. There is more money to be made in genetic engineering and the production of pharmaceuticals, which is probably a big reason.

So it's an uphill battle, but I'm going to try and get into a program somewhere and eventually try and do some research towards the end of getting studies about raw/paleo foods/lifestyle in the mainstream of scientific journals. Wish me luck!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:53 pm »
Well if we ever manage to get an article on health benefits of raw foods in New Scientist magazine then we will have really reached the mainstream. In the meantime we do have plenty of studies damning cooked foods.

Any rate, good luck with the above.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2010, 04:24:01 am »
Anyone have any advice?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2010, 05:37:36 am »
advice as far as what? other programs? making yourself more attractive to UPenn? I think you are right towards the end about how biology depts. probably work in terms of phiosophy and incentives. Other than position in academia, it might not be the most fruitful career path in terms of $ for yourself and research if that is a deterrent, but I don't think your ideals will prevent you from landing yourself within a program that works for you.

There was a recent post on some Anthropological diet mega-seminar, showing a sign of more acceptance of evolutionary approaches within nutrition in Academia if not medicine.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/infonews-items/ancestral-health-symposium/

perhaps there are people featured there you could contact or their respective universities about their experiences with less than popular research.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2010, 05:54:22 am »
heres a few I spotted:

Daniel Lieberman, PhD, Harvard University, Professor of Human Evolutionary Biology
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/danlhome.html

Craig Stanford, PhD, USC, Professor of Anthropology, Director Jane Goodall Research Center
http://college.usc.edu/labs/stanford/home/index.cfm

not saying these programs would be best, but the individuals probably would know at least what you are talking about and if it would be plausible to make it work at a University which might not seem as accommodating, or know of more related programs. can't hurt :/

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2010, 07:48:33 am »
Thanks a lot, I'm gonna check out those leads.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:34 am »
Thanks a lot, I'm gonna check out those leads.

I think I read somewhere, probably here, that Dr. Price's book was required reading in Harvard's anthropology program.  I definitely think that anthropology and human evolutionary biology are more fruitful areas of study.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2010, 03:26:46 am »
Anyone have any advice?

Write to someone in academia who works in evolutionary nutrition (or evolutionary medicine), tell them about your interests, and ask for advice. Some well-known people working in this field are Staffan Lindeberg, Loren Cordain, and Boyd Eaton.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56:33 pm »
Another person who might be able to give you some advice, is Stephan from this blog:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/

In particular, take a look at this post:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/08/dr-stephan.html

He's interested in nutrition and paleodiet, but his doctoral thesis was about something different. I wonder if
he wanted to do a thesis on paleo nutrition, but couldn't find a willing supervisor. That's something you could
ask him.

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2010, 09:29:50 pm »

If you still think it might be dietary detox let me know and I'll send you some of my world famous Lex's Detox Diet Aid.  It's a proprietary "all natural" blend of the worst tasting things I can find made into an alcohol infusion.  It's just $250 USD per oz. but you need to act quickly as supplys are limited.  You put one drop under your tongue 1/2 hour before each meal and again at bed time. (There's a 50% discount if you sign up for my monthly automatic reorder plan.)   I guarantee you'll be feeling better in no time.  Of course, on the off chance the problem is greater than expected, you may wish to order my all natural Super Herbal Nutritional Supplement made from 120 exotic healing herb and fruit extracts plus Colonol Sander's 11 Secret Herbs and Spices,  Aroma Therapy Candles (contains real camel dung from the Sahara Desert), Tantric Reflexology Chart, and Super Pyramid Color Light Spectrum Filter (cheap iridescent prismatic Mylar sheet mounted in a pyramid shaped cardboard frame) for your reading lamp.  Contact me directly for a package deal. 

The sad thing is I actually fell for this nonsense myself.......more than once I might add -[,
Lex

Thanks Lex, your sense of humour is incredibly good, you made me laugh ;D
I do believe in the theory about toxins and poisons that are leaving our bodies as soon as we switch to a 100% raw food diet.
The best description of the whole process can be found on the website founded by famous Stanley Bass.
According to him, all we can do to speed up the process of detoxification is to let our body rest as much as possible.
And that's what I'm doing these days. It works for me and many other people - plenty of rest, pure water and raw food (no silly detox aid or other nonsense).
However, I do have a secret detox weapon - it's hot water in my bath! (helps me every time and brings so much pleasure and relaxation) ;D
And it's the best aid for headache and other ailments/detox symptoms/healing crisis etc.

Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2010, 06:35:29 pm »
Unfortunately it seems the two schools that keep being recommended to me for biological anthropology, Penn State and Rutgers (New Brunswick) aren't really a comfortable commute for me.

I'm thinking I might look more into cellular/molecular biology. I could do stuff with how carbs and fat and protein work in cells. That's always a hot topic here, and scientific data about it is as yet sparse. I think I could find grant money from places like diabetes foundation for some of that work. It would be more difficult to find funding for any kind of raw food molecular research, but I could try.

My main concern is that I think I would enjoy the classes more in anthropology rather than cell/molecular. But it seems I might be able to do more in the end, in terms of making $ and even doing diet research, with the latter. That combined with the distance issue for anthropology schools is making it seem more attractive as an option. That Stephan guy on wholehealthsource.blogspot did work on something about brain fat regulation, I didn't read too much into it yet. I think I could find something to do at least in the world of paleo diet, if not raw paleo diet.

William

« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2010, 02:39:44 am »

I'm thinking I might look more into cellular/molecular biology. I could do stuff with how carbs and fat and protein work in cells. That's always a hot topic here, and scientific data about it is as yet sparse.

If that is the same as microbiology, I suggest you look into the death rate of microbiologists before deciding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk