Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 265901 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #375 on: May 30, 2011, 06:56:08 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iu7g5m2aQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNfuIvtLos

Scheuer has been in the Daily Telegraph recently, pointing out the lies the US and other western governments have been peddling re their real intentions. Here, he is, unusually, praising Osama, whereas the US media just spreads lies, hypocritically calling Osama and his cohorts "cowards" etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:02:36 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »
Oldschool Rave Happy Hardcore

This is fresh and rejuvenating, isn't it!?  :)

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #377 on: July 18, 2011, 04:08:50 am »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:08 am »
Now this is my most favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7rACI-WJEw
bugs or country chickens

Offline crobiruiz

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:21 pm »
I personally like to listen Classical music during study time. It is very quite, cool and enjoyable music which can change my mood and provide a better quality of life. really this is the best entertaining music.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 07, 2011, 06:45:05 pm »
Raw,

Wow excellent! Thanks.
Cheers
Al

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #383 on: September 07, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »
I'm going thru vid clips of students....so mostly I'm listening to original songs from my performance-level students.

But I think when I work out I'm gonna kick on some NIN and maybe some old Rush.......
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:08 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:52 am »
 Look at the faces of these old boys in the band! They really have fun:

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan
Löwenherz  :)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:55 pm »
Lyle's stuff is nice.

Lyle Lovett-Simple Song
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »
You gotta wonder what the pilots are thinkin' as they can no doubt hear this from the front.

World's Coolest Flight Attendant
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:08 am »
If this doesn't tug at your heartstrings, go to see a cardiologists to verify you have one.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/W86jlvrG54o?rel=0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:41:39 am by raw-al »
Cheers
Al

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 10, 2012, 04:11:46 am »
If this doesn't tug at your heartstrings, go to see a cardiologists to verify you have one.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/W86jlvrG54o?rel=0

I was fighting to hold back tears. That was inspiring and touching.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #390 on: February 10, 2012, 04:33:55 am »
Those who are sick and tired of the US's endless wars against the Middle-East etc., may well be more impressed by the Southern US/ConFederacy National Anthem, which is quintessentially pro-American in its rebelliousness and yet is in tune with current Anti-American sentiments (and even pro-British sentiments(!) given one sentence within the song re the Declaration of Independence):-

Chant Sudiste - I'm good old rebel - long version

It's all a hell of a lot more interesting than John Lennon's hypocritical "Imagine " song.

" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »
"for this fare land of freedom I do not care a damn."

Hmmm, a very telling lyric. Not at all surprising that a foreigner would like THAT tune.

I am indeed sick and tired of the US's endless wars against the Middle-East and recent targeting of Iranian (Aryan) and Turkish folk. I also see the irony of praising people who fought a war to enslave people and trying to connect that to a distaste for foreign wars.

If you should bother to dig deeper, I think you'll find more love of the War Party's interventionist leanings among the sons of Confederates than the sons of Yankees. Indeed, some of Ron Paul's strongest support comes from New England and the libertarian Free State movement is occurring in New Hampshire.

Do you hold the same love for Irish rebels that you do for Southern rebels? Irish rebels never proclaimed, like Fitzhugh, the blessings of slavery, as far as I know, so presumably they would be worthy of far more praise.

My own ancestors fought the Southern rebs, BTW, including an officer in the Union army, but I won't take it personally. Plus, one fourth of the soldiers from my home state of Vermont who participated in the Civil War reportedly became casualties, as Vermonters quickly became recognized as prime fighters and were put at the front of many assaults. Their blood liberated many slaves and sanctified the soil of this nation.

Here's a Yankee cry for freedom for people of all colors:
Battle Cry of Freedom

And a glorious jubilee tune appropriate for troops returning home after Ron Paul ends the foreign entanglements they're currently engaged in:
When Johny comes Marching Home
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:39:37 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #392 on: February 10, 2012, 02:11:22 pm »
The reference to "freedom" in the song was supposed to be ironic, since all Southerners had their infrastructure destroyed after the War, being reduced to poverty etc.. As regards the issue of slavery, that is only one of the reasons given for the Civil War, not the only one. Especially given that many blacks and Native Americans willingly fought on behalf of the Confederacy - somehow I doubt they were fighting in order to preserve slavery.

What is interesting to me is that one of the other reasons given for the Civil War was that the Federal government hated allowing the various States to have any rights and had, right from the beginning of independence, tried to   crush them. The ACW was, imo, the last gasp for States' rights, and, thereafter, inevitably, the Federal government became bigger and more oppressive until today. If the Confederacy had won, slavery would anyway have been abolished eventually since many Southern leaders anyway wanted gradual emancipation for the blacks, much as what happened in the North.

Anyway,I like the rebel anthem as it's so virulently opposed to the US government, while still being basically pro-American.

What amuses me is that PP's  patriotic speech above is eerily similiar to the standard  NeoCon guff about  "freeing" the Iraqis and the Afghans and "defending American values".

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:09:37 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 10, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »
Are not the black folk of this country also Americans who deserve freedom? Without individual liberties, states can become tyrannies, which is exactly what some NeoConfederates I've communicated with claim they want, with re-establishment of slavery and the whole nine yards. States aren't people, they're governments. Regardless of why other people fought or supported, some of my ancestors were abolitionists and later some of their descendents were civil rights supporters. By the way, the biggest element of support for abolition and civil rights came from people of British background. That's one thing the English got right about early on before a lot of Americans.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:35:40 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #394 on: February 11, 2012, 12:22:08 am »
You're missing the point. I wasn't defending slavery. I simply pointed out that,  if the ACW had never happened or if the Confederates had won, slavery would have anyway been gradually abolished over decades. Instead of a steady, reasonably problem-free transition over a period of time, you had a massive war which led to bitter poverty and social chaos for both whites and blacks for many years thereafter.

Slavery is actually just as harmful to the masters. For example, Ancient Greece discovered steam technology but never used it in any practical way because they had slaves to do everything anyway. Without slavery, Ancient Greece could have conquered the whole of Europe, not just the Middle-East.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:50:59 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2012, 02:08:09 am »
Well, let's just say that I'm not as certain as you, but it's not worth arguing over, as what's done is done and there's no way of proving what would have happened.

My father was born and raised near the heart of the most fervent abolitionism and not far from where the foundational meeting of the Republican party was held (and the main topic was advocacy for abolition) and not that far in another direction to a monument to John Brown, so you're not likely to gleen a lot of sympathy from me for the Confederacy. If the Confederacy had its way, my male ancestors on my fathers side would have been slaughtered, imprisoned or cowed and the freed slaves they helped and their black friends hunted down and enslaved. It was Southern slave hunters going into abolitionist towns and catching freed slaves, some of whom were regarded as beloved members of the community, that helped strengthen the abolitionist movement, lead to the Dred Scott Case and eventually help trigger the Civil War. Just one town over from where my father was born, when a slave hunter caught and imprisoned a freed slave, the local townsfolk rose up and liberated the slave. Attempts, both successful and unsuccessful, were also made in other towns and cities to free re-captured slaves, such as Boston, another place where there was an abolition movement, though not as strong as in New York. This is a little-told side of the story of the era before and during the Civil War. Nowadays we mostly hear from the Confederate side, as the losing side always remembers best and longest. I was ignorant of much of it myself until I learned about some of it from local newspapers and museums while spending summers in my father's homeland in upstate New York.

It would be like trying to get NeoConfederates to have sympathy for the Union and embrace Yankees. If the Confederacy had abolished slavery, I would be much more sympathetic, especially if they did it before the Union did. "Would have," "could have," don't mean much to me.

Besides, like I said, some of these Neorebs want to re-institute slavery after they secede. Some claim it will be "voluntary slavery," which is an oxymoron. They even tried to elbow their way into the libertarian Free State Movement, but the leader of it rejected their calls for eventual "voluntary slavery" and a secessionist theo-fascist state government in New Hampshire. They tried to get a secession movement going in South Carolina. I wonder how that's going.

I welcome whatever support those nostalgic for the Confederacy give libertarianism, but when they start to try to undermine and coopt the movement and rail on about the blessings of voluntary slavery, establishment of the Ten Commandments as the law of the land, stoning of gays and stuff like that, they lose me. Luckily, you're not one of those true radical NeoConfederates. You've had too much good influence there in the UK and you recognize the harm that slavery does to the slavemasters as well as the slaves. I've had NeoConfederates tell me that slavery was the best thing that ever happened to Africans and a blessed institution.

A side note of interest, the Civil War wasn't just a political war, it was also a war between peoples of different religions, cultural and ethnic/tribal backgrounds. A cousin of mine recently pointed out the religious aspect of it. The states lined up very neatly along religious lines and those differences persist to this day, though they are becoming watered down by homogenizing secular modern culture and mobility. Florida is rapidly becoming a culturally Northeastern state, for example. I have some sympathy for the dying Southern cracker culture.

I even have some sympathy for at least one reb--Stand Waitie. Interesting story, his.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:34:55 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2012, 05:06:21 am »
I still say it would have been much smarter to find a non-military solution.  I don't think anyone at the time had the power, influence, or charisma to make it happen, though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19:25 am »
Quite right. People didn't think in terms of Gandhian nonviolence in those days, unfortunately, and people didn't even think that the nonviolent civil rights struggle of the 60's would work and many called for violence even then. Remember, males had been warriors for 2.5 million years before Thoreau, Gandhi and MLK came along and demonstrated another method of liberation struggle.

Considering that Tyler is right that ending slavery helps in the longer run the slave owners as well as the slaves and liberates the society from a tyrannical system that limits economic productivity, education and individual liberty, one could argue that in the long run the Civil War helped the South, whites as well as blacks, more than it did the North, and I have seen historians make that argument. Still would have been nice if there had been an MLK back then. Maybe there was, but he failed? Back then people would lynch a black man as easily and casually as spitting. And they often didn't just hang him, but added other nefarious acts.

This leads me to another tangent, hope you don't mind. I still hope that some day the Palestinians will give a more thorough and prolonged try to nonviolent resistance. The Provincial IRA had their greatest success when they did nonviolent hunger strikes (and the original IRA had their greatest success by their leaders getting shot, not by any military victory, although violence instigated the executions). I think the Palestinians might also have better success with nonviolent tactics.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:35:08 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #398 on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:36 am »
I disagree, wars never ever solve problems, they just make things worse(look at our recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for confirmation).

I even recall one rather hopeless teacher telling me decades ago in school that it was a pity that our generation weren't facing a world war because our lack of wars were making football hooligans out of us(the idea being that military discipline would supposedly make us more polite and socially obedient etc.). I was just appalled.

The fact is that the Northern US had it easy, they had a whole 60 years in which they gradually emancipated the slaves bit by bit, but they wouldn't allow the South any time to transition from a slave-economy to an industrial one.

Come to think of it, the North didn't ever really abolish slavery. I've heard all sorts of horror-stories about immigrants from Sweden etc. in the nineteenth century being forced to work in New York etc. as wage-slaves on below-minimum wage salaries in slum-factories, with even their children being forced to work as well. Nowadays, the West, of course, treat the Chinese and other foreigners in much the same manner.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 11, 2012, 08:25:08 am »
Nowadays, the West, of course, treat the Chinese and other foreigners in much the same manner.

That's been going on for a very long time. That's where the expression "Coolies" comes from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie They have been shipped to Brazil US Canada etc.

Lots of Chinese died building the Canadian Railway through the mountains on the west coast.

Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk