Author Topic: What cooked, non-palaeo foods are you eating?  (Read 18574 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What cooked, non-palaeo foods are you eating?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:49 pm »
Also I know some of you don't like to hear it but GENETICS also plays its part, my boyfriend smokes a lot, does some drugs, eats a lot of crap, processed sugar here and there (although I am working hard on improving this guy  ;D), well he looks MUCH younger then he is and has a lot of hair on his head and never gains a pound. Hmmm why is that, maybe genetics, his dad is old and doesn't take great care of his health and he also still has his hair and looks young, in their case the only thing I can attribute this to is genetics.  -\
Today he in good shape. But look at him when he'll be 50 or 60 years old.
The older we become the better the differences of the health between people.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 07:41:38 pm »
Non-paleo? Depends on how you're defining paleo, I guess, because I eat a lot of fruit & veggies.

Yesterday I ate the rice that was under my sashimi. Rice is certainly not a paleo staple.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:32 pm »
hmm...icecream. a grilled steak here and there. I dont think I am that paleo really, I just happen to eat a lot of stuff that paleo people also eat and share interrest in the subject. I dont want be religious about my diet.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
Non-paleo? Depends on how you're defining paleo, I guess, because I eat a lot of fruit & veggies.

Yesterday I ate the rice that was under my sashimi. Rice is certainly not a paleo staple.
Raw Fruit and Veg are definitely Raw and Palaeo.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:04 pm »
I've cheated with all kinds of crap and gone astray...chocolate is the worst drug.

In terms of choosing a meal when I'm out and hungry, I'd normally go for:
Egg mayo sandwich filler tub from the supermarket with cooked meats like ham, pastrami chicken etc
Pate from the supermarket
Lamb shish or Chicken doner kebab with salad and no pitta
Foo Yung (omelette) from a chinese take away
Biltong or Droewors from a South African shop

I'd say the SA products or Egg things are the best as the first is somewhat grass fed beef and the latter isn't cooked for a long time. What do you think?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 04:39:55 am »
Today he in good shape. But look at him when he'll be 50 or 60 years old.
The older we become the better the differences of the health between people.

Hmmm, my dad is 50 or 51 I think and he looks amazing, every woman comes on to him practically, he smokes and eats all sorts of cooked food, the only thing is he exercises a lot, and in general is a very happy guy. He bikes like a maniac, many younger bikers can't keep up, he did a distance swimming race in a lake last summer and came in 2nd, there was 20 young healthy dudes in the race, the guy who came in first was 20 y/o and in great shape....
One thing my bf. does which is good is he never ever overeats, he eats raw stuff sometimes (including raw meat), cooked stuff and junk sometimes, but all of it in much smaller quantities then the average guy, he is hardly ever sick (I think I saw him sick maybe 5 years ago when he overate oily roasted nuts lol), he smokes too, he is 36 by the way ... his father is over 60 and looks pretty good for his age too...
I have seen some other older people looking pretty good on all sorts of diets...exercising, not overeating, and general quality and happiness in life, as well as genetics, seem to all play their part. The point is there are too many other factors involved.
If you don't exercise, your bones and muscles weaken with age, no matter how your diet is...and you will get all sort of problems in old age if you do that, no matter what you eat.
Maybe someone who is on RAF and healthy lifestyle will look & feel better then someone regular diet & healthy lifestyle at 80 & 90, but then WHO CARES! lol ... Really.... at 90...who cares how you look, as long as you stayed active and healthy and don't overeat sugar and processed foods and get all your necessary nutrients....
Also if you take a look at some of the longest living people in the world they are all on different diets, whatever worked for them I guess  :P

The point is I do this diet because it makes ME feel good, NOT because I think it will make me look better at 60, not because it will make me live forever! I couldn't give a crap if I died at 90 or 100...as long as the life itself was good and meaningful.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:06 am »
OK, this is a joke-thread where people can post about their forays into SAD-eating territory etc.

OK, I shall start:-

Today, being in Vienna, I had an Esterhazy-schnitte, a type of cake, and a couple of other cakes such as Malakofftorte with some relatives. They are full of pasteurised dairy, and processed stuff, but it reminds me of my childhood, and Viennese cakes are far superior to most foreign varieties, so I don`t react to them anywhere as badly as other non-RPD foods.
What are the ingredients beyond pasteurised dairy?

Since I visit Vienna only very rarely(once every 5 years usually), this one occasion is no big deal for me. Will also be eating some partially raw Treznewski sandwiches(very high quality, not train-station fare)
What are the ingredients of those?

and likely some cooked elements from a possible future meeting at a local  sushi bar meal( 1 thing that really annoys me is that much of so-called sushi actually involves cooked fish - I even saw at the airport  some Marks and Spencer sushi boxed sets where they idiotically and proudly asserted on the labels that there was no raw seafood  whatsoever in any of their sushi boxes)
Technically, "sushi" basically translates as "vinegar rice". Westerners associate sushi with raw fish, because that's the most outlandish aspect of the cuisine to most Westerners.

Myth: Sushi means raw fish...
01/01/07 00:00 Filed in: Urban Myth
Does Sushi means raw fish?
http://www.everythingyouknowisalie.co.uk/urbanmyth/files/sushi.html

Myth

Popular culture would have us believe that the famous Japanese delicacy of Sushi is created from raw fish. This is described in films, television programs, books and magazines.

Reality

In Japan the word sushi refers to a broad range of food prepared with sumeshi or sushi meshi, which is vinegared rice.

Outside Japan, sushi is often taken to mean raw fish. But this is totally erroneous and has been confused with sashimi.

Sashimi ("pierced body") is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh seafoods, thinly sliced and served with only a dipping sauce (for example soy sauce or ponzu sauce), and a simple garnish like shiso and shredded daikon radish. ....

OK, so I`ve confessed my sins, over to you:-
Wow, that's a surprising amount of cheating. At least that shows you're not totally dogmatic and that your health is good enough to handle it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 11:05:33 am »
the longer I'm on raw paleo, the less I "cheat" because the cheating usually results in feeling really bad or off.

yesterday I had roasted pork loin
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 03:35:00 pm »
What are the ingredients beyond pasteurised dairy?
What are the ingredients of those?

Technically, "sushi" basically translates as "vinegar rice". Westerners associate sushi with raw fish, because that's the most outlandish aspect of the cuisine to most Westerners.
Wow, that's a surprising amount of cheating. At least that shows you're not totally dogmatic and that your health is good enough to handle it.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/hungariandesserts/r/esterhazytorte.htm

Treznewski sandwiches have things like cooked eggs, raw gherkins, fish. The plant food is mostly raw, the animal food cooked. It is kind of semi-organic in tone.

As for the dogmatic comments, they are way over-the-top. I have come across plenty of 100 percent RVAFers who were not dogmatic at all, yet encountered many, many cooked-foodists who were extremely  fanatical and dogmatic in their denunciations of Raw-animal-food-eaters, to the point of actual hysteria. Being a 100 percent raw is not a sign of being dogmatic. Nor does having issues with cooked foods mean one is unhealthy. Indeed, like many long-term RVAFers, I tend to get more issues with cooked foods over time, partly because the body gets so much more efficient at detoxing  poisons etc.. There are other points:- for example, I find that while raw foods digest really well, my ability to digest cooked foods is lessened(due, no doubt, to my body being now more oriented to digesting more water-rich raw foods), so that if I eat too many cooked foods at a time, I get a vomit reflex as the cooked foods take much longer to pass through my digestive system than raw foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 08:21:49 pm »
the longer I'm on raw paleo, the less I "cheat" because the cheating usually results in feeling really bad or off.
I'm the same. At this point cooked foods just make me feel blah so I don't have any desire whatsoever to "cheat".
In my mind any cheating for me are the rare occasions when I indulge in fruits as these exacerbate Candida issues. These are still raw though.
I think it's been maybe 6 months since I ate anything cooked.

I do have to say I'm surprised at the amount of people here on the forum who are indulging in cooked or processed foods and the frequency it seems to occur at. I'm glad we have this thread as it really opens my eyes to the full breadth of others experiences. It's also good as it gives newbies some confidence that even if they indulge here or there so long as they work towards an overall RPD they will make gains in their health.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 09:33:07 pm »
I have seen some other older people looking pretty good on all sorts of diets...exercising, not overeating, and general quality and happiness in life, as well as genetics, seem to all play their part. The point is there are too many other factors involved.
I totally agree that there are many other factors involved.
But there are millions of people who eat cooked neolithic foods and suffer from a plethora of diseases. It's a rule. Your examples are the exceptions. :)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 02:16:58 am »
To me its VERY hard to determine is something is really paleo, I mean cmon, that was a LONG time ago...many plants animals have changed since then...I look at paleo as in the terms of modern-paleo...something that is clean, drug/hormone-free, organic and raw...its pretty paleo to me....but the real PALEO cavemen people didn't have access to it, but WE don't have access anymore to the things THEY had. I don't see any mammoths running around do you? Well they didn't have any cows, but I see nothing wrong with eating grass-fed cows, cats are not paleo but we have cats as pets, and then some people even eat cats (eeek)...and they are beneficial, so its all relative.

Yes, good points. Our experience (some 40 years of 100% raw paleo for GCB and friends, 23 for me) shows that truly Neolithic foods such as dairy and grain - especially wheat - cause problem such as spontaneous infections, nervous excitation,  inflammations and so on. Those experiences and experiments show that we should rather consider the classes of food (such as meats, fish, eggs, fruits, nuts, veggies) rather than each and every specific specie and variety in itself. Shellfish and wild fish were not artificially selected, wild flora and fauna neither, so there’s no problem at all with these. But produce of the agriculture and domestication may also be suitable, under certain conditions. This has been explained at lengths by GCB here and perhaps followings and preceding posts, I think.

Saur kraut is not paleo, oh well, I still think its an exceptional nutritional food item. Neither is ACV, but its awesome as well... Maybe not EVERYTHING we modern humans invented in terms of food is bad? Anyone though about that?  -d

Of course, it’s even one of the battle horse of our former member Alphagruis… Maybe… but so far it remains to be demonstrated in the long run.

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 02:18:04 am »
But there are millions of people who eat cooked neolithic foods and suffer from a plethora of diseases. It's a rule. Your examples are the exceptions. :)

Very true!

Being a 100 percent raw is not a sign of being dogmatic. Nor does having issues with cooked foods mean one is unhealthy.

Exactly. An experiment can only be meaningful and conclusive if done properly, in our case at 100%.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »

Maybe we are exceptions  :'( , but theres such thing as overdoing...When I am around my area I am always surprised by the amount of fat and unfit people, its freaky...they probably go to that Harveys everyday and eat ketchup and greasy fries with their burgers. I always see the fat people coming out of Harveys lol
When I was on cooked food I would have borscht with beef, salads, many fruits, steaks, chicken soup, chili, baked potato, butter, eggs, only SOMETIMES junk like a pizza, I would only eat grains on some days, but mostly instead of porridges my choice of grains was hard sourdough bread (which I found superior to plain cooked grains or plain bread)...
Thats why I think my dad is not exception, if most people replace their crap with even moderately healthy food (not rice lol) they would be a heck of a lot better. Maybe not 100% better like on raw paleo, but like 70% better, especially if they moved their asses more  :P
Oh and if I ate rice every day, yeah, I would definitely have a plethora of diseases coming  :) I have no clue of how people can eat rice every day, or white bread every day, yuk!

Edit: all in all I guess I'm trying to say that even cooked Paleo foods are so much better then Neolithic foods...Plus there is things like fruit and berries and most greens which people don't cook anyway, they eat them raw...

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 01:46:17 pm »
all in all I guess I'm trying to say that even cooked Paleo foods are so much better then Neolithic foods..
I totally agree.
Plus there is things like fruit and berries and most greens which people don't cook anyway, they eat them raw...  
In Asia there are lots of people who think that even fruits should be cooked - otherwise they've got the chilling proporties.
Haven't you ever heard of cooked bananas? ;)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 04:11:29 pm »
I totally agree.In Asia there are lots of people who think that even fruits should be cooked - otherwise they've got the chilling proporties.
Haven't you ever heard of cooked bananas? ;)

I've even known health food owners who cook all their fruit for themselves to eat for good health, and avoid vaccines, do everything natural pretty much except they cook.  I'm not talking Asian people, nor in Asia.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »
As for the dogmatic comments, they are way over-the-top. I have come across plenty of 100 percent RVAFers who were not dogmatic at all,
Relax, I was commending you for NOT being totally dogmatic.

is lessened(due, no doubt, to my body being now more oriented to digesting more water-rich raw foods), so that if I eat too many cooked foods at a time, I get a vomit reflex as the cooked foods take much longer to pass through my digestive system than raw foods.
Interesting. So the vomiting is from the cooked foods being drier? Do dehydrated foods give you the same vomit reflex?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 10:12:41 pm »
So the vomiting is from the cooked foods being drier?

In me, I wouldn't call it vomiting from cooked food, but if I eat a little cooked, I get a little reflux in my throat.  Eating raw adrenals give me full out projectile vomiting, as do raw clams I think, at least now.  Most raw food for me just goes down well, no reflux at all.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 06:06:56 am »
@Tyler: and did the Esterházy Schnitten contain wheat flour, or just nut flour and/or starch. I looked it up and found that it apparently was made with nut flour but these days can contain wheat flour and/or starch of some sort.

In my case I can handle cooked meats and animal fats, but breads and cakes are more of a problem in my case, because of my gluten intolerance and sensitivity to plant carbs. My sister does make occasional cakes made from nut flour, however, so she might be interested in a nut-flour version of Esterházy Schnitten.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 07:41:42 am »
Raw Fruit and Veg are definitely Raw and Palaeo.

Yeah, but I've run into folks in the past who consider it less than paleo if you aren't extremely low carb or zero carb (which is why I said "depends on how you define it").
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 08:34:21 am »
I've run into folks in the past who consider it less than paleo if you aren't extremely low carb or zero carb (which is why I said "depends on how you define it").

I've encountered both all that from some members previously on this forum too.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 04:04:25 pm »
Yeah, but I've run into folks in the past who consider it less than paleo if you aren't extremely low carb or zero carb (which is why I said "depends on how you define it").
Strictly speaking, the whole point of the palaeolithic diet is what it excludes not what it represents.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 04:06:20 pm »

Interesting. So the vomiting is from the cooked foods being drier? Do dehydrated foods give you the same vomit reflex?
  I haven' t eaten any dehydrated foods since going rawpalaeo, I reckon., but yes, I think it`s most of the reason.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 04:06:54 pm »
@Tyler: and did the Esterházy Schnitten contain wheat flour, or just nut flour and/or starch. I looked it up and found that it apparently was made with nut flour but these days can contain wheat flour and/or starch of some sort.

In my case I can handle cooked meats and animal fats, but breads and cakes are more of a problem in my case, because of my gluten intolerance and sensitivity to plant carbs. My sister does make occasional cakes made from nut flour, however, so she might be interested in a nut-flour version of Esterházy Schnitten.
I assume it was wheat.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 12:25:46 am »
My wife and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary on the 4th. We were cleaning some things out of the freezer yesterday and found our top tier of our wedding cake (very unconventional; cheesecake made with only cream cheese, egg, and maple syrup) which we had saved for our first anniversary and never go to so we defrosted it. My wife ate the majority of it (it was barely 1 serving worth) but I shared a bite. Tasty, albeit very sweet to me, but again not worth it. Had a bit of a headache and general malaise for a few hours.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk