Author Topic: best animal fats for skin  (Read 17637 times)

Offline a87.pal

• Trapper
    • View Profile
best animal fats for skin
« on: October 15, 2010, 05:34:14 am »
I'm trying to find the best way to increase absorption of animal fats into my skin.

Last time I used suet, it stuck to my skin and 24-48 hrs later I had some acne (may or may not have been related)

Previously I had been using plant oils (coconut, macadamia, olive) which seem to have better absorption. I also used these oils to clean my teeth (oil pulling + brushing).

Basically, I'm trying to determine the types of fats (rendered or not) I should consider using. Perhaps egg yolks are a solution - though practically it is hard to find them with a decent omega 3:omega 6 ratio.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: best animal fats for skin
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 05:46:15 am »
fatty raw fish:

blue marlin
tuna
wild salmon

raw fertilized / organic eggs

raw bone marrow
raw live beef / horse / sheep fat
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ster546464@yahoo.co.uk

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:20:29 am »
Emu oil is an animal oil.

Did you mean something you apply externally to your skin, or something you eat to make your skin better ?

Emu oil is applied on the skin and not eaten. Why an animal fat, though, if that was your question ? Jojoba, castor oil, sweet almond oil, aloe vera are also good.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:29 am »
Ironically, suet has been the best fat of all so far for my now resolved acne and dry skin. It's amazing the differences in reactions between individuals.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:23:51 am »
Ironically, suet has been the best fat of all so far for my now resolved acne and dry skin. It's amazing the differences in reactions between individuals.

You put suet on your skin?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:37:47 am »
For everyday stuff I use 100% pure hand-made Shea Butter, by Nharro, that stuff is awesome.
Its especially rich in vit E which is excellent for the skin.
It also looks like animal fat, saturated and hard at room temp.
My skin has absolutely no reactions or any pimples from it...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:49 am »
You put suet on your skin?
If "put suet on" means rubbing it on, yes, I do (and I've reported this before), why do you ask? I also have used tallow (and lard) like a thick lotion, but I haven't made tallow in a while. Part of my approach is that if it's not edible, or nearly so, I'm not going to put it on my body. Edible personal care products are as safe and healthy as it gets.

I find that other fats high in saturated FAs also work very well for me, like cocoa butter, which I buy sticks of because they're convenient and socially acceptable outside the home, and shea butter, which Yuli mentioned. The more solid and saturated the fat is, the better it seems to work for me. It's not that surprising, since human skin is rich in saturated and monounsaturated fats. After decades of dry skin and acne I tried many different things and suet and tallow, used both externally and internally, have been the most effective of all for keeping my skin healthy, followed by cocoa butter and shea butter (mostly externally, though I occasionally eat some organic dark chocolate, which contains cocoa butter--though the skin benefit from that is probably more than offset by the berries or raw honey I eat with it to avoid stomach upset). Runny lotions and oils just don't work nearly as well for me and they tend to leave more greasiness on my skin as well and require more rubbing-in to get rid of that. I haven't tried marrow fat yet,

I've also found that eating suet and other saturated-fat-rich animal fats and minimizing carbs helps even more to clear up dry skin and acne for me. Lately the only time I've needed to use suet or cocoa butter on my skin is after I've eaten too much carbs. Others report very different experiences and it's fascinating the range of responses among various individuals. YMMV and to each their own.

------

"Mutton tallow is a natural product with a relatively long shelf life. As a skin care product, it penetrates the skin, providing more softening power than petroleum-based products, which sit on top of the skin." http://www.ehow.com/about_6516251_mutton-tallow_.html
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:55:08 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline a87.pal

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:49:00 pm »
Guess I should have been more specific:

I mean the best animal fats to apply externally to skin, and any preparation before application.

By preparation I mean things including heating the fat up, quantity, mixtures, etc. (Essentially, the best way to get the fat to absorb without just sitting on top of the skin.)

Also, I'd like to know why some of you choose to use shea/cocoa butter over coconut oil or macadamia oil. Is it even practical to find shea/cocoa butter cold pressed?

As far as vitamin E goes, wouldn't olive oil or palm oil be better than shea butter?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »
why do you ask?

Makes sense Phil. Seems like it should be much better than any modern skin-care products. I only asked because I thought you'd misread his question. I wasn't expecting that you would answer 'yes' =)
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:24:40 am »
check the amazon reviews of emu oil

also, use goat milk based soaps for washing,

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 06:01:08 am »
... I mean the best animal fats to apply externally to skin, and any preparation before application.

By preparation I mean things including heating the fat up, quantity, mixtures, etc. (Essentially, the best way to get the fat to absorb without just sitting on top of the skin.)
I don't need any prep, but I recommend experimenting with different fats and products like I did and see what works best for you. I'm continually amazed at how different people's experiences can be with the same stuff. Lots of Paleo folks talk about n=1 experimentation (experimenting on yourself to find out what actually works for you) these days. As long as it's done safely, I think that's generally the way to go.

Also, I'd like to know why some of you choose to use shea/cocoa butter over coconut oil or macadamia oil. Is it even practical to find shea/cocoa butter cold pressed?
In my case I tried shea butter and cocoa butter and coconut oil externally and coconut oil internally and I found that raw suet (and occasionally tallow or lard) and cocoa butter work better for my needs. I haven't tried macadamia oil, but I have tried jojoba oil and pure vitamin E oil (externally), walnut oil and extra virgin olive oil (internally and externally) and some other oils and found I preferred the harder fats, particularly for external use. It wasn't at all what I expected. Originally I thought oils like jojoba would work better externally and would be just as good or nearly as good internally, but they didn't work out that way for me, and I found them to be much more greasy than the harder fats like suet and cocoa butter.

As far as vitamin E goes, wouldn't olive oil or palm oil be better than shea butter?
I haven't tried palm oil. I prefer shea butter among that lot, but again my advice is to try what you think are the best candidates yourself. Different people have different preferences.

Makes sense Phil. Seems like it should be much better than any modern skin-care products. I only asked because I thought you'd misread his question. I wasn't expecting that you would answer 'yes' =)
:D I know it's an unorthodox skin treatment, so I'm not surprised that you didn't expect that answer, but raw suet is as pure and natural as it gets, it's almost always available in my house and often at work, it works very well for me, and over the years I've become bolder about trying things that modern society looks down upon, especially in the privacy of my own home.

As I've learned to keep the carbs down to avoid acne and dry skin, I rarely need a skin treatment of any kind anyway, whereas I used to need to daily use skin care products and take zinc supplements. I know that this has not worked for everyone, though.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 06:34:50 am »

There is a Nharo! Store my area, and the nice lady there always packs the fresh shea butter into containers and sells them.
See http://nharo.com/  ...from their site "100% Raw Organic Shea butter: Our organic Shea Butter comes from Ghana, West Africa where pure shea butter has been used for over 2,000 years. Shea nuts are collected from nature, and not cultivated, making the product organic and biodynamic." So I like this thing because its not only natural and raw but also wild.

The butter in the container is not white like some refined ones, its greyish in color and looks "dirty"  ;) My skin seems to absorb it the best and there is no greasiness, it leaves less grease then even coconut oil and my skin absorbs it better.

If you need more vitamin E though you can just use the pure vit E oil on your face - but I find thats too much. I put pure vit E on only if I have a skin wound that I think may scar after it heals.

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:39:41 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asses%27_milk_%28Donkey%27s_milk%29

Cleopatra bathed in donkey milk, however its very expensive.

Use emu oil, its said to help dry skin etc

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 05:10:15 pm »
I've got a natural soap made from seal fat

It has got good lubricating properties.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 05:10:57 am »
What is your reason for wanting to put anything on your skin?

My GF and I do a daily self massage prior to bath. (abhyanga) She uses coconut in the summer and almond otherwise. I use olive all year. Then I put some mixtures of oils in, appropo to our doshas. Done so for about 25 years.

Ghee or clarified butter is used in Ayurveda for skin issues of certain types. It is not paleo, as it is heated.
Cheers
Al

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:46 am »
What is your reason for wanting to put anything on your skin?

My GF and I do a daily self massage prior to bath. (abhyanga) She uses coconut in the summer and almond otherwise. I use olive all year. Then I put some mixtures of oils in, appropo to our doshas. Done so for about 25 years.

Ghee or clarified butter is used in Ayurveda for skin issues of certain types. It is not paleo, as it is heated.

What type of skin issues?

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »
I'm trying to find the best way to increase absorption of animal fats into my skin.

Seriously, try eating them. Animal fats will work wonders for you better internally than externally (grass fed of course). If you want to use an animal fat for your skin. I recommend Goat Milk Soap. That's what I use.

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 03:01:17 am »
when I tried making beef jerky using the 100% grass fed ground beef from trader joes, I put the beef in my cheap dehydrator and I think the temperatures got up to 160ยบ F, it was hard to get an accurate temperature reading and there was no temperature control on the device.. well anyways, it got pretty hot and a lot of the fat melted off and collected in the bottom of the dehydrator in liquid form, it was a yellow oily liquid and I did not want to waste it so I poured it into a glass jar.  once it cooled it is now the consistency of soft butter, whiteish in colour, and I smear that stuff on my skin whenever it feels dry.. I keep it in my bathroom, not refridgerated.  It's pretty oily, though it seems to absorb well and make my skin soft, even though I know it's heated but at least I know it's from grass-fed beef and not really processed other than for melting it off the ground beef in my dehydrator, and no chemicals. 

I also have my own aloe vera plant that I got from my uncle, who's all into organic and natural eating (though not raw, and little meat) and has his own chickens that he feeds bugs and garden he grows himself and stuff.  My cat kind of demolished it a bit, but I can still rip off the leafs and put the pure aloe vera gel on my skin.  I still get pretty bad acne on my face, but I think that's because I'm not really eating well enough, but putting those things on my skin doesn't seem to make it any worse.  I would also put raw grass-fed butter on my skin if I didn't have that ground beef melted fat, but my butter is expensive and that melted fat was cheap plus I'd rather eat the butter since it's raw.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk