Author Topic: Reccomend a good natural deoderant  (Read 13735 times)

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Reccomend a good natural deoderant
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:26:08 am »
sorry if this has been covered. I am looking for a good natural one.

The freaks from the PD say just rub a lemon on your pit. Sorry dudes, I need to smell a bit more alluring and not have bugs attracted to me.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
Re: Reccomend a good natural deoderant
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:17:56 am »
if u are complete raw paleo, "DON'T NEED ANY DEODORANT". i can use lemon if i need to (i don't smell). eating fresh cilantro can gives body nice smell. or if u can eat a huge watermelon in the summer, u can achieve a sweet smell from that too. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:25 am »
If you want to small nice and fancy mix a little of your favorite essential oils with a hard fat like shea butter and use that, there are so many essential oils you can create any pleasant smell you want, yes even alluring ones, I like clove or lemon-grass myself   ;)
You can put it on your armpits or any place that you would use some perfume, like on your neck or inner arms, just don't put it on your crotch LOL  :o

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »
Sometimes you can use rubbing alcohol or vinegar. Don't know how healthy that is.

You can also wash your armpits with soap more often(not take a shower but just wash the armpits)

Or you can buy some kind of non-toxic powder(if there are any) and put that under your armpits as that will keep them dry which will stop the smell.

IF you have armpit hair you can trim it down as that will reduce the odor that comes from under the arms too.

There should be other solutions or ways too

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »
I only use deodorant made from alum crystal - it's 100% natural.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:59:09 pm »
I use a deodorant called "Trust". You apply it on the hair under the arms before going to bed and get rid of it in the morning when you wash. It has unnatural ingredients such as petroleum jelly, but the rest is made up of antibacterial herbs etc. which mean that you don't smell at all for 3-5 days after applying the stuff.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »
I use a spray deodorant which is essentially a saline solution.
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Spray-Mist-Deodorant-oz/dp/B000B969B4
I used to get reactions to regular deodorants/antiperspirants. I found a deodorant stone from the company and began using that but the stone would retain my body odor smell after a couple weeks. This spray is a suspension of the deodorant stone salts in water that you spray on. Works like a charm for me.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline ster546464@yahoo.co.uk

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:54:07 pm »
would lemon oil work as a spray ??

or is it too strong ?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:17:52 am »
All these salt crystals and sprays are ok but they try to act as antiperspirant, meaning they try to absorb the odors or sweat etc...
As Ms. raw already mentioned, I don't know if you guys have this, but on a clean diet there is not that much smell....
Hence why I suggested using the essential oils, the OP mentioned he wanted to smell "alluring"....
Lemon, alcohol, vinegar, saline, do not at all smell alluring in any way whatsoever!

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:21:16 am »
I just use a nice soap. As long as i keep low on carbs, I have very little body smell so I dont use deodorant. If I am going out for a special occasion I use Azzaro-silver black, which is neither natural nor healthy, but it smells really nice! so I figure that once in a great while wont hurt.

I think a good soap and a general good attitude to hygiene will get you a long way. It is a cultural thing to loathe sweat so much, and if you sweat has a smell to it, I would argue that you are eating something your body does not get along with well.

diet makes a radical change in the odour of the stuff my body excretes in various ways. It never really gets pleasant, but it is better than back in the days where i with tears of dispair and the gnashing of teeth, clawed at the bathroom door to try and escape the horror I had in the making. Just sayin.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:18:25 am »
Armpit and private area sweat is meant to smell. There are two types of sweat glands. The sweat on most of your body is not meant to smell, but in your armpits and around your reproductive area there is a second type of sweat gland, which is meant to cause a smell when metabolised. A healthy person should smell in these areas(unless they have killed the bacteria which would metabolise the sweat), but not elsewhere. It should smell strong if you've not killed the bacteria, but not 'bad'. Although in the modern world any natural smell is considered bad.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:02:01 am »
All these salt crystals and sprays are ok but they try to act as antiperspirant, meaning they try to absorb the odors or sweat etc...
Antiperspirant means it prevents the body from sweating.
My deodorant doesn't stop me from sweatign at all it just tempers the scent. There is still a bit of smell but it's not an overpowering muskiness.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 09:11:37 am »
My deodorant doesn't stop me from sweatign at all it just tempers the scent. There is still a bit of smell but it's not an overpowering muskiness.

Sorry I didn't phrase that properly (no one should prevent their body from sweating thats horrible, those chemical antiperspirants should be illegal)...I meant like there is two reasons to wear these things...
- to eliminate "bad" scent
- or to make you smell "pretty"
I thought the OP was asking about something that would make him smell attractive or alluring, so even if you use deodorant that absorbs your sweat it may not make any other "alluring" smell, to add a nice smell essential oils can be used. Like if you go on a date or to a fancy-shmancy event and you want people to be really attracted to your smell...You could even use specific oils to work with your natural smell to make a whole new interesting concoction  :P
Aromatherapy can be really effective...but just not smelling is obviously better then stinking!

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:57 am »
Honestly I don't know what the natural smell of a healthy, clean but unwashed/water-washed, un-perfumed etc female is, but I think that's the smell I'd find most attractive, strong or not. Although as I haven't experienced it, I don't know what that smell is.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 02:28:17 pm »
Honestly I don't know what the natural smell of a healthy, clean but unwashed/water-washed, un-perfumed etc female is, but I think that's the smell I'd find most attractive, strong or not. Although as I haven't experienced it, I don't know what that smell is.

Well now my smell is much less intense then before. Its like a mix of very light musk, ocean and some kind of fruit but I don't know which, lol ... I kind of like it...There was a time when I was doing chemical drugs and my body sweat smelled horrible, when I stopped the smell improved, when I changed the diet it improved further.
I have smelled men with horrible body odor and some who smelled interesting, but most men wear these nasty chemical deodorants & colognes so I never know the real smell  :'(
By boyfriend - as much as I love him - has a very pungent/strong underarm smell if he forgets to shower for a while so at times it can get a little too intense. But then again I have a very very sensitive sense of smell which probably makes it worse. However I prefer that much over cologne and perfume. And depending on how I feel it can be sexy.
I remember when I was really young there was this guy that whenever he walked past me had this amazing smell that really attracted me, later I befriended him and found out he smokes a shitload of weed all the time, so much that the smell of the weed was always coming out of his sweat glands, but mixed with his sweat it created an amazingly pleasant smell (at that time I didn't smoke pot so I had no idea that that was the smell I was being attracted to heh heh)  ;D

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:28 pm »

An often used ingredient is zinc (mostly as oxide etc) and stuff like aluminum chlorohydrate. But...it can really help people who sweat a lot to eat foods high in zinc. I havent read up on why, so I dont know. But I know its used and advocated as a solution to sweating a lot. So is white vinegar as a deo. Just rub some under your armpits with it. Baking power and soda might also do the job

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:32:47 pm »
Armpit and private area sweat is meant to smell. There are two types of sweat glands. The sweat on most of your body is not meant to smell, but in your armpits and around your reproductive area there is a second type of sweat gland, which is meant to cause a smell when metabolised. A healthy person should smell in these areas(unless they have killed the bacteria which would metabolise the sweat), but not elsewhere. It should smell strong if you've not killed the bacteria, but not 'bad'. Although in the modern world any natural smell is considered bad.
wow! good to know. but i just don't smell and i 'm not judging by myself. the other day i took shower 2 weeks later and right before that i ask my aunt to smell me (gross, i know), out of curiosity (to see the effect of strict raw meat diet, i do many crazy things). ididn't ask my husband, 'cause he always stays with me. you can imagine, if i take sunbathing and sweet a lot, after that if i don't take shower...etc. probably it's also the power of sun and wearing nothing for hours when i bathe. it's very true that being nude also eliminate the body odors. i also sees my toddler the same thing. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »
i also don't shave my underarms. :(. i need to share that with you ;)
bugs or country chickens

Offline Fatguy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 05:06:28 am »
I use "crystal stick", I'm not sure who the mfr is. It works really really well.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 06:11:12 am »
i also don't shave my underarms. :(. i need to share that with you ;)

Pip pip. Bravo old bean.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 09:23:24 am »
I have been told that I have a very strong odor, and some may some take offence , but it seems normal to me and my woman never complains about it., Anyway, some of my first memories of the teenage change of life was my parrents insisting that I put this awfully smelling slimy green deodorant that I absolutely hated. I have fought tooth-in-nail to be able to have the right to smell like a natural human in public, and have begged my woman to quit using deodorant and quit obsessively shaving the hairs that make us mammal's.(paleo man loved his stinky, hairy females).

I have had to compromise my position seeing that I am a service electrician and have to do frequent house calls in the sterility that is suburbia. I rinse myself off after a hard day of work and then often rub myself down with coconut oil. In the morning on my way to work I swipe a couple of strokes of either Burt's bees or Toms(aluminum free) just enough to buffer the natural scent and provides mild odor protection without completely eliminating that human musk that us paleo people appreciate so much.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 09:42:03 am »
Danny Roddy recommends this:

http://www.iherb.com/Crystal-Body-Deodorant-Crystal-Body-Deodorant-Stick-4-25-oz-120-g

Description
No Aluminum Chlorohydrate
All Natural Protection
Hypoallergenic
Fragrance & Paraben Free
Natural Deodorant Protection
Crystal Body Deodorant is made of 100% Natural Mineral Salts which eliminate odor by leaving an invisible protective barrier against odor-causing bacteria. It is fragrance free, non-sticky, non-staining, leaves no white residue and can be used by both Men and Women, Crystal Body Deodorant can last up to a year of daily use.
Safe for the Environment
Endorsed by Cancer Treatment Centers

My lady friend said I smell like raw meat and she doesn't like it much but she doesn't find it horrible either.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:31 am »
Swimming in ocean works well.

I still prefer to let my smell roam. Deoderant and B.O. is a new invention.

Do any of the girls here not wear form of deoderant at all, like some of us men on here?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 02:53:00 am »
I don't :)
I must say that I smell harder than in my fruitarians days, but if I follow very strictly the golder raw paleo diet I may smell better !  :P Also maybe some detox ?
But before switching my fruitarian diet for paleo, I was afraid to smell very very bad which is not the case.
I don't use perfume, or maybe once in a while I like to smell a drop of essential oil around me.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37:56 am »
My armpits used to smell bad and sweat more when I was eating the SAD. On RPD the smell is much milder. I think my lady probably smelled the raw meat from my breath, although vegetarians do claim that meat eaters have a distinctive odor. They also claim that their poops don't smell, but both my armpits and my poops smell worse to me when I eat more plant foods.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk