Author Topic: Heribert Watzke says humans are coctivores  (Read 6820 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Heribert Watzke says humans are coctivores
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:26:29 am »

His theory sounds a lot like Wrangham's, but he makes some interesting points regarding the intelligence of the gut.

Looks like some people already added some comments about raw meat to his video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/heribert_watzke_the_brain_in_your_gut.html

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Heribert Watzke says humans are coctivores
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:00:33 am »
Even if he's right that we are who we are because of cooking, that doesn't mean that the heavily cooked, mushy diet he spoke of is optimal. The changes that occurred from cooking could theoretically all be degenerative.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:44 am »
His theory sounds a lot like Wrangham's, but he makes some interesting points regarding the intelligence of the gut.

Looks like some people already added some comments about raw meat to his video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/heribert_watzke_the_brain_in_your_gut.html

That was hilarious. My favourite part was when he said something along the lines of "...our gut shrank 60%...but in my case, it's hard to tell..." while pointing at his oversized gut. A raw food diet would do him some good. The ending quote, "I cook, therefore I am", was also funny.

On a more serious note, I think that it might be plausible that cooking helped increase our brain and shrink our gut. But we have evidence that our metabolic machinery has not fully adapted to cooked food (AGE, HCA, etc). So now that we have big brains and an abundance of food, a raw diet leads to optimal health.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:06 am »
To me this theory doesn't make much sense, I certainly wont totally dismiss it but but why would cooked food cause our brains to develop?

I think it's more likely that man evolved to eat meat which lead him only needing to eat once per day. This would promote more time for multidimensional thinking, building, hunting and creating instead of walking around gathering fruit and plants all day just to survive.

So all that spare time they had to think and improve there for enlarged their brain. That sounds more logical to me to say the least.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:01:20 am »
Many raw animal foods are easy to eat, liver, heart, tender meat, brain etc.
I can chew them once and they go down easliy. The ony thing I need to chew thoroughly is certain fats. But they are easy to chew too, but have little moisture unlike flesh, so more chewing is necessary.

He also fails to mention tools (which humans evolved with etc.)

Even birds make houses and chimps make tools, its in our "big brain small gut nature" to make tools and weapons to survive.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:03:48 am »
His only real point for cooking food is that we don't have large k-9s.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:13:22 am »
My contention that humans haven't fully adapted to cooking is the fact that in the realm of HEALING, it is RAW FOOD that delivers the cures.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:52:58 am »
wow I just learned a new word, coctivore...
Yeah baby I am a coctivore  ;)  ....heh heh...sorry...I couldn't resist saying that

And humans can adapt to anything, don't mean its good for them, what other animal can live its life and smoke a pack of cigarettes everyday  :o

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »
wow I just learned a new word, coctivore...
Yeah baby I am a coctivore  ;)  ....heh heh...sorry...I couldn't resist saying that

And humans can adapt to anything, don't mean its good for them, what other animal can live its life and smoke a pack of cigarettes everyday  :o
Lol i was thinkig of saying something about that.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »
Yeah baby I am a coctivore  ;)  ....heh heh...

All women are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk