Author Topic: what is the best fish oil?  (Read 9070 times)

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
what is the best fish oil?
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:10 am »
I have read that if fish oil makes u burp and does not smell like the ocean its not quality/is rancid. The kind i have jsut tried (carlson) does this to me, but i am not sure if its the oil or the fact taht it has the added orange taste i despice(cannot find non-tast added kind). I have read the topic on fishoil being good/bad, but i have read online its good given how its produced (is it raw/boiled, what kind of fish, freshness ect)

Of those of u who do use/advocate fish oil, what brand is best and digestes well? Thanks, Andrew
The price is wrong Bob

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: what is the best fish oil?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:41 am »
I suspect that if the fish oil does not smell then it is so highly processed it should be thrown away.

The only genuinely raw high quality fish oil I know of is Blue Ice raw fermented cod liver oil. Oh and, according to PP, there is kriaxanthin raw  krill oil too.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:05:05 am »
I use Carlson but just the plain one, no flavoring...There is no rancid taste just an oceany/fish taste when I drink some.
Taken from their product link (http://www.carlsonlabs.com/p-108-cod-liver-oil-regular-flavor.aspx)
"
From the deep, unpolluted waters near Norway, Carlson brings you the finest cod liver oil which is naturally rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, EPA and DHA. Only cod fish caught during the winter and early spring are used, as the liver oil content is highest at this time of year. The oil is separated from the liver tissues without the use of chemicals. To ensure freshness of Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, the air inside the glass bottle has been replaced with nitrogen.
Natural vitamin E is added to the cod liver oil to protect the freshness of the EPA and DHA both within the bottle and our bodies. Vitamin E prevents oxidation of polyunsaturated oils.

THIS PRODUCT is regularly tested (using AOAC international protocols) for freshness, potency and purity by an independent, FDA-registered laboratory and has been determined to be fresh, fully potent and free of detrimental levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB's and 28 other contaminants.

"

Its pretty natural and raw but if it gives you problems maybe you don't need it.
I have on occasion taken up to four big gulps of this stuff (yes I know you are not supposed to do this)...and had no issues, on an empty stomach too, lol.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:07:11 am »
I use Carlson too, it actually has a pleasant taste. Not sure if it's raw or heated.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:11:30 am »
I don't use any.
I have regular access to raw fertilized duck eggs which are high in omega 3
And I have regular access to blue marlin and tuna sashimi which are high in omega 3.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:18:47 am »
I use Carlson but just the plain one, no flavoring...There is no rancid taste just an oceany/fish taste when I drink some.
Taken from their product link (http://www.carlsonlabs.com/p-108-cod-liver-oil-regular-flavor.aspx)

Its pretty natural and raw but if it gives you problems maybe you don't need it.
I have on occasion taken up to four big gulps of this stuff (yes I know you are not supposed to do this)...and had no issues, on an empty stomach too, lol.
Ya i usually buy it too, but no one in london carries the unflavored. Also from where u buy is it refrigerated before seal is broken?
The price is wrong Bob

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:24:32 am »
I use Carlson too, it actually has a pleasant taste. Not sure if it's raw or heated.

I don't think its 100% raw (because they need to use pressurized steam for extraction) but it is the freshest, its bottled immediately after extraction and the extraction process is done on freshly caught fish. It is the quickness of the extraction that allows it to keep all of its natural nutrients. I buy it because of that, the fact that it is well preserved.

Here is a PDF on how its made:
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/productliterature/carlson_cod_liver_oil.pdf

The fermented one may be better never tried it...I also love the taste of the Carlson one!

Ya i usually buy it too, but no one in london carries the unflavored. Also from where u buy is it refrigerated before seal is broken?

Nope it is not refrigerated where I buy it, you don't need to as the air in the bottle is replaced with nitrogen. It only says to refrigerate after you open it (because of the air will damage it)...after opening you can fridge it for about 100 days it says. I get it in the small glass bottles.

Its too bad they don't have the unflavored - why would they want to flavor that nice taste  ???

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:50:51 am »

Its too bad they don't have the unflavored - why would they want to flavor that nice taste  ???

Londoners are kinda closed minded, shallow. They like their health products in capsules even though u pay 2x the price and get half the product. EVERYHTING MUST TASTE GOOD TO SELL HERE. i am living amonst retards i feel at times, thats y i m moving to calgary and then myb toronto with my dad in 5years.. ty 4 info tho folksssss
The price is wrong Bob

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:51:27 am »
I suspect that if the fish oil does not smell then it is so highly processed it should be thrown away.

The only genuinely raw high quality fish oil I know of is Blue Ice raw fermented cod liver oil. Oh and, according to PP, there is kriaxanthin raw  krill oil too.
That's their claim, though I'm more skeptical of Kriaxanthin krill oil than I am of the well-established Blue Ice CLO product. For those who want to be really sure I would go with Blue Ice. If that's not raw then I doubt any retail fish oil is.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »

That one is a huge delicacy. I can feel that exquisite fermentation ;)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 12:50:36 pm »

That one is a huge delicacy. I can feel that exquisite fermentation ;)
i love the taste, smell everything about this oil. my toddler develops gas from it. so, i get regular 3d cod liver oil from whole food. he loves that. this is only pasteurized oil he eats. my husband gets diarrhea after consuming the " blue ice".   
bugs or country chickens

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »
my husband gets diarrhea after consuming the " blue ice".   
Really? :o
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »
fresh> fish skin, fish roe, fish brain, fish fat

get it whole from the animal if you can

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk