Author Topic: Living in the wild  (Read 67432 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Living in the wild
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
Well a good way to start would be to do it for the summer or even a couple of months.
You can stay in a pretty wild place but with a small town within a reasonable hike away, in case you run into emergencies. If you bring some equipment for emergencies too, its very possible and doable. Even if its not private land its pretty wild no one will be there to notice you, or that you're living there, no one will really give shit about you lol. As for entertainment I spent a month almost in the wild and I was never bored, and I live in the city so it was quite a change, trust me if you're in a beautiful place there's no time for boredom, in the summer anyway haven't tried it in winter.

My ideal life is working in the winter, and living in nature in the summer, best of both worlds  ;)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:55 am »
For me the idea was never to start living in the wild, long term. My idea was more in the lines of a survival holiday. Perhaps a month.

Now that being said I would never ever do it for the first time with out proper planning, modern amenities such as fire, shelter, GPS, satellite phone etc.

If anyone was thinking we could just walk into a forest and survive then yeah, that's quite naive.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:25 am »
I thought  of renting a place with a fellow raw meat eater.
Or even a few. If you pay only like $150 each a piece.
You could save money fast for some land in the future, and only have to work part time.

Edit: I amsure this only applies to people around my age. lol
Since many of you have solid jobs and prob laugh at that.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46:44 am »
I thought  of renting a place with a fellow raw meat eater.
Or even a few. If you pay only like $150 each a piece.
You could save money fast for some land in the future, and only have to work part time.

Edit: I amsure this only applies to people around my age. lol
Since many of you have solid jobs and prob laugh at that.

I think you should consider becoming a farmer Sully. Sounds right up your alley.

My personal dream is to pursue my career in filmmaking and eventually live on a ranch and be totally self sufficient, grow my own meat, milk and veg whilst working as a director.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:14 am »
I think you should consider becoming a farmer Sully. Sounds right up your alley.

My personal dream is to pursue my career in filmmaking and live on a ranch and be totally self sufficient, grow my own meat, milk and veg whilst working as a director.
Dude that sounds great, I was thinking to switching my major to filming. It's one of my many passions. I can edit films, good camera man, etc.
I just need a degree.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:19 am »
I'm going to go and live in the wild in the Spring. Who knows how long I will be out there for, it's not the end of the world if I end up back where I started. I'll have had that experience and can then make my next move.

If I come to an alternative, which I can start on before the spring, then I may go for that. However I won't wait beyond that, so if I have not decided on some alternative before then, that's what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:24:51 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:16 am »
I've done the farm half-step. One thing one immediately notices is

it gets cold.
after awhile since there is no 'inside' that gets kind of old.
if months pass and a branch falls on your tent in a rainstorm inverting it, you might actually trade even a woman for a hot shower, a rusty cot, and some college credits :)

I think what would be the most realistic and involve less commitment, would be to try to get a bunch of people involved in the same WOOF program (probably in Europe) and then go on week/2 or so long excursions and document everything. from there hell..you might be able to get some kind of funding.

another thing I imagine would be important would be having some kind of meditation practice, or just having a really strong sense of self, as mentioned there is not all that much to do at times to occupy the mind the way modern civilization 'conveniently' does for us. :)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 10:14:34 am »
I would sleep together naked like the INuit and many other people did. I house made by Tee peeing sticks and insulating with animal skinds with fur. Or  a snow den *(depends on where you are, even a cave will do)
 Sleeping on layers animal skins and using them for blankets and being with other naked people will surely keep you warm.

Like I said along these lines before, thinking like the average person will get you killed in the true wild.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 10:34:29 am »
wwoofing together would actually be an awesome idea! i can't believe i hadn't thought of that. i've wwoofed multiple times and loved it. would be awesome to team up with another rpder. would make take some of the edge off eating raw in front of the owners too. i'd be down for wwoofing if anyone else is. would be a good start. then we could move on to the wild.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40:23 am »
If you want to live in the wild, then I think the best place would be a tropical island. No need for warm clothes, warm shelter, or fire. Lots of fruit, coconuts, seafood, and meat. Rain isn't so bad if it's not cold. And you can go swimming for entertainment. That would be paradise. Something like Pangaia (http://www.pangaia.cc/).

My personal dream is to pursue my career in filmmaking and eventually live on a ranch and be totally self sufficient, grow my own meat, milk and veg whilst working as a director.

My dream is similar to yours. I would like to live on a farm/ranch and work in my spare time as an independent scientist. I would make a living by selling grass-fed tenderloin and other lean meat, while feasting on the fat and organs that nobody wants :)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:49 am »
and being with other naked people will surely keep you warm.

you are really ambitious  ;D

sometimes it is really difficult to be with just one naked woman, and you talking lots of naked people.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:36 am »
Whatever we do, we should try to live wild, or as wild as possible this summer and then report our adventures here after! That would be fun  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:00:26 am by yuli »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 11:22:01 am »
wwoofing together would actually be an awesome idea! i can't believe i hadn't thought of that. i've wwoofed multiple times and loved it. would be awesome to team up with another rpder. would make take some of the edge off eating raw in front of the owners too. i'd be down for wwoofing if anyone else is. would be a good start. then we could move on to the wild.
I would do that. What did you do when wwoofing? Where at?

It be cool to try an once a year thing too like Yuli is mentioning.

First testing are wits in summer or warm climate would be wise.

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »
LOL...I am the female version of exactly that, tall & tiny but strong legs, a whiteafrican, even my hair is curly/frizzy but its light color, on a humid day I can put it as a Fro pretty easy...ha ha  O0

Edit: what is your background?
english/scottish/german. ya basically im all legs and core, pure forager without the big belly some of them have.

Anyone know y they have those bellies?myb some grains.../dairy?
The price is wrong Bob

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 12:09:06 pm »
Whatever we do, we should try to live wild, or as wild as possible this summer and then report our adventures here after! That would be fun  ;D
I am serious into doing this for like 1month to see what its like. If we start planning this now would u guys actually wanna c if it could take  off? We'd have to have a good spot scoped with lots of wildlife like a good inhabited natural park, and what about hunting tools like bows ect?

Im quite stoked if we could get like 6-10ppl or w,e to seriosuly do this.
The price is wrong Bob

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 01:48:11 pm »
For me the idea was never to start living in the wild, long term. My idea was more in the lines of a survival holiday. Perhaps a month.
That's exactly the same idea that I'm thinking about.
I don't see living in the complete wild for the rest of my life as the best option.
But periodically, far away from civilized worild - that's really enticing.
If you want to live in the wild, then I think the best place would be a tropical island.
I think the same - wartmth, a lot of sun, wild fruits, animals. Besides you can hunt and kill wild animals without any risk of beinig held accountable; in Poland, there are huge fines for killking wild animals without a permission. 
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »
haha. In that case i'll be Mrs. Howell.
Someone will have to carry around my foot massage tank, lounge chair and sun umbrella, and Prada suitcases filled with all the latest outdoor fashions.

LOL... I shall be Mary Ann.

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 03:11:53 pm »
Ioanna, Yuli, Cinna, Raw... needed!  8)

So kind of you to remember us women, Hannibal... :)

I'll come visit you wild folk - for drum circles and haflas, for sure... I'll be an intermediary between you and civilization. Maybe I will produce simple shows to entertain you - or I will bring in small audiences so you can entertain us. It will give you something artistic/creative to work towards/on. :)  If you build a yurt, I will consider staying overnight. ;)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 03:51:08 pm »
  If you build a yurt, I will consider staying overnight. ;)
You won't be disappointed ;)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »
Dude that sounds great, I was thinking to switching my major to filming. It's one of my many passions. I can edit films, good camera man, etc.
I just need a degree.

Camerman is a pretty cool job. You will probably start with some country TV station and work your way up to maybe even filming documentries and stuff, people I went to school with have done this.

Getting a job really is the way to go, when you get older you'll understand this more.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 07:41:20 pm »
If you want to live in the wild, then I think the best place would be a tropical island. No need for warm clothes, warm shelter, or fire. Lots of fruit, coconuts, seafood, and meat. Rain isn't so bad if it's not cold. And you can go swimming for entertainment. That would be paradise. Something like Pangaia (http://www.pangaia.cc/).

Sounds like my country. The problem would be mosquitoes and possibly malaria.  So bring mosquito nets.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 07:59:09 pm »
malaria.
That's a good oportunity to detoxify oneself, get rid of degenerative tissues and strengthen oneself.  8)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:56 pm »
Just get used to the mosquitoes, after a week of getting bit it didn't affect me so much...you'll build up a tolerance after a while...you can also jump in the lake to get some quick relief, or make a small fire at night (they don't like the smoke).
Some summers I have more mosquitos in my yard and flying into my house (no one ever closes the doors) then when I'm camping ha ha

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »
I also find that mosquitoes don't bother me much. Probably because a good diet causes the immune system to function properly.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/journals/sully%27s-journal/msg40169/#msg40169

In Canada, the hysteria is not about malaria, but west nile virus. I don't worry about it at all.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »
Bacteria are not the same as parasites.... getting a normal midge bite is not the same as getting a bite from a malaria infected mosquito... etc...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk