Author Topic: Matter of taste  (Read 6027 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Matter of taste
« on: November 06, 2010, 04:03:21 am »
Before this diet my sense of taste and smell were dull. I was eatting different foods,trying to find a more healthy diet and it was very hard for me to decide what was good or bad based on my taste.

I tried to eat greens even though I didn't like them, I ate yogurt even though it was bland and neutral to taste. I never really had any powerful craving for the taste of a certain food on my old diet.

Now my sense of taste and smell has become more powerful and can be overwhelming, I was just curious if anyone else noticed the same thing. Things I once  tolerated now seem totally disgusting. Just a whiff of onion, cabage, or garlic can make me queasy with distaste. When I was carving the Halloween pumpkin the smell of the pumpkin guts was very repugnant. I crave pure taste now and even the littlest speck of spice can make a good cut of meat taste off.

I can now discern the differences between different meats and If I don't like something about a food I will avoid it completely. In my sad days I would keep eatting foods that didn't taste good out of nutritional principle, but now if I dint like the taste of it I wont buy it again, I don't care how pure and wholesome it is claimed to be.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Matter of taste
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:33:25 am »
As my health deteriorated on cooked diets, ages ago,  I found my sense of smell and taste to pretty much disappear. I would eat lots of cooked foods but find them all bland in taste, even if I was addicted to many of them. My sense of taste did recover, though I would not call it acute. My sense of smell isn't that great but better than in pre-RPD days.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:51:30 am »
Now my sense of taste and smell has become more powerful and can be overwhelming, I was just curious if anyone else noticed the same thing.

Great! Yes, I did!

It looks like you are re-discovering the principle of instinctive nutrition as described by GC Burger in his book :
http://www.reocities.com/HotSprings/7627/ggindex.html

I was amazed that no other raw dieter without any prior knowledge of it hadn't self found it again! 

Francois
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:02:58 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:43:28 am »
Absolutely
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:59:07 am »
Before this diet my sense of taste and smell were dull. I was eatting different foods,trying to find a more healthy diet and it was very hard for me to decide what was good or bad based on my taste.

My tastes were dulled but not to a big point, some of this was because my mom and me both tend to cook simple foods (well now I don't really cook anymore  ;) )...we'd cook things like chicken, but a meal would be just roasted chicken with a little cayenne and sea salt, and something like a spinach salad dressed with olive oil and lemon or ACV, when I ate bread it was always dark, hard sourdough, if I ate dairy it was kefir (the real one)...so even on a cooked diet, things like chips and cookies tasted very strong to me, I would eat them but I would still find them intense, it something that would always remind me to not overeat them. But one thing I admit I'd eat extremely spicy foods!!! So I'd make things like super-hot chili, or soups so spicy to the point my ass would be burned the next day, lol

Just a whiff of onion, cabage, or garlic can make me queasy with distaste. When I was carving the Halloween pumpkin the smell of the pumpkin guts was very repugnant. I crave pure taste now and even the littlest speck of spice can make a good cut of meat taste off.

Totally agree! I can smell someone frying onions from downstairs and my door is closed, it will make me want to gag sometimes. Now if I taste some cooked foods I used to be ok with they are too salty or have a very extreme taste thats off.
Its crazy I can even smell when someone boils water downstairs sometimes...

Now if I eat anything cooked it has to be simple, and even then its not often I do it. Usually its just too much. The last time I was starving and I had no food I simmered plain buckwheat in water and ate it with flax oil...to normal people that'll be a bland meal, to me it was full of taste...

Sometimes I visit a friend's place where they eat so much junk and processed crap, when they microwave something the smell makes me want to puke...when I look in their fridge it looks like something from a different planet, lol

I love the taste of fruits now more then ever. And I am picky with my raw meats too, I have thrown away some pieces or gave it to my family to cook because something was off taste-wise...thats kinda mean, I won't eat it raw so I cook it for my relatives...oh well they wont eat raw meat no matter how much I try to oblige them.

Offline 00nightstorm

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:11:16 am »
My sense of taste increased greatly and I learned to really appreciate sugar and wheat and all the foods that I cannot eat now.  As far as raw meat goes, it tastes just as bland and unappetizing as the very first time I tried it.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:33:56 am »
As far as raw meat goes, it tastes just as bland and unappetizing as the very first time I tried it.

Exactly even the eggs are still disgusting a little bit but less than it was at the very first time.
I think our taste mechanism changed alot from the beginning of cooking,processing,etc...

Also I dont think our ancestors really enjoyed the food dopamine wise but they ate it for survival means.
I once seen something similar at National Geographic channel.
It was about some guy who got lost in middle of sea in his boat he had nothing to eat he fasted for VERY VERY LONG TIME
and then some routine in his brain started to function and he automatically without any fishing skills caught a fish with his hands or a spear he put the hands on his boat and then his brain made him pick up the most nutritional organs of the fish and he automatically ate it raw !! all the fishh he was like in a trance like his brain started a survival function!!

The guy survived someone found him and now they are trying to figure out what the hell was that!!! :o
He said he lost control over his body!! Its like when you recognize something as a danger you have HUGEE adrenalin release you feel like you can move mountains and you see everything superfast  but the thing is almost every action under this situation is not a choice of yours but your brain does it all by itself!!!   its so weirdd like we have programs in our brains

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 02:24:51 am »
It usually takes c.8-12 months for people to eventually get used to and enjoy the taste of raw meats. Some things take longer than others, IMO, such as raw wild game or raw organ-meats, but 8-12 months is about right, overall.

There is another way round such as cooking meats but gradually reducing the cooking temperature until you cn eat and enjoy the taste of raw meat at room-temperature. It also helps to use raw spices/sauces at first, though one should over time reduce the amounts of those to zero over time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:44:58 am »
I got my lamb fat the other day an it tasted like rancid grains; I totally couldn't eat it, and now I am struggling to find a good fat source in order to maintain myself. I bought some lamb belly trimmings that were real tasty. It seems that if I eat the wrong food my body now totally knows and will reject it , whereas pre paleo I was totally clueless.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:50 pm »
For me there was no adjustment period in terms of taste...

The first raw meat I tried was pre-packaged beef mince which was laced with chemicals, and it tasted horrible.

The next raw meat I ate was fresh top-side of beef and it was the nicest thing I'd ever eaten.

The first raw meat I had would taste the same to me now as it did back then. In fact, a few months ago I was not aware one day that it was a bank-holiday. I'd gone the whole day not eating, as usual, and been active. Then I ran several miles to the supermarket for my meat as well only to find it closed. I then ran many more miles(about 10 in total) trying to find an open shop that might have some fresh meat. In the end I went to the corner shop/post office across the road from my house and bought pre-packaged beef mince, as I was very hungry by this point(so didn't want to wait 'till the next day to eat), and it tasted exactly the same as before, vile... so I spat out that first bite and gave the remains to a friend to cook for their self. So I went back and got a load of fruit and vegetables instead. This was the first time I ate anything but raw meat, since the first time I'd tried it.

I came from eating cooked-meat paleo previously. Before I tried raw meat, cooked meat was the nicest thing I'd ever eaten. I wanted to eat nothing but meat, but it didn't feel right eating only cooked-food, I always felt I needed some raw fruit to balance it. So I thought of eating raw meat, and it was great. It made me feel good and satisfied like cooked meat did, but it was also neutrally refreshing(with cooked meat I would feel the need to eat something refreshing i.e. raw fruit/carrots, but raw meat didn't make me feel this way).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:47:35 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:10:35 pm »
pre-packaged beef mince, as I was very hungry by this point(so didn't want to wait 'till the next day to eat), and it tasted exactly the same as before, vile

Just looked in the supermarked cooler a while back and found "veal steak" with, and i quote; as much as 98% percent veal. ...wait...wot?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 04:22:49 pm »
My sense of taste increased greatly and I learned to really appreciate sugar ...  As far as raw meat goes, it tastes just as bland and unappetizing as the very first time I tried it.

Yes, sugar is crazy strong tasting when I've gone with extremely little to no carb for a while on high fat.

At least now you know it may have been the herbicides, wormers and such that turn you off to your meat taste.

I like the taste of meat better than I did before now that I've been feeling the effects from it for a while, but still not a lot.  It doesn't matter though as it feels healthier than anything.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk