Author Topic: Lifestyles of The Raw and Paleo  (Read 35778 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Lifestyles of The Raw and Paleo
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:23 am »
KD,

I gotta' know: how did you go from a scrawny fruitarian to your present state? I find that (although I've just begun this diet in May and have been bouncing around without any stability) I can't seem to put on weight. I think I've lost more weight on a RAF diet than on a vegan diet.

Was it the food that sparked an increase in energy which you used productively to exercise and build your body? Or, did the muscle and bulk build up from the foods that your provided your body?

Could you describe this process of transition for you and some insight as to how I might achieve similar results?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:02 am »
KD,

I gotta' know: how did you go from a scrawny fruitarian to your present state? I find that (although I've just begun this diet in May and have been bouncing around without any stability) I can't seem to put on weight. I think I've lost more weight on a RAF diet than on a vegan diet.

Was it the food that sparked an increase in energy which you used productively to exercise and build your body? Or, did the muscle and bulk build up from the foods that your provided your body?

Could you describe this process of transition for you and some insight as to how I might achieve similar results?

When I first began eating RAF... which was years before I joined here I dropped down super low in weight.

It was awful

I don't want to be responsible for telling people that if they are in some slump that is just detox or tranition..that is all the rage on low fat fruit sites or whatever.

Unfortunately I believe there is some truth to it, and even when I settled on my current diet I really did not do good or feel good.

As for the muscle thing, if you ever come across a muscled fruitarian..rest assured these people had muscle prior to being on that diet. I more or less have been at periods having 0 muscle in the last 6 years or so..being at rediculously low weights 3-4 separate times. At the same time, i've been working out for 12 years (not super seriously...but still) so that is a factor that I can't attribute entirely to diet or my current routeines..you know? theres some degree of muscle memory..or something I am sure...

Of course personally I believe the way that I eat is the smartest way for me to eat...for performance and health based on my prior experiences and assment of other people that I respect..either for their own experiences or the research they present. I have to assume that at least for where I am at..that this intake has served me well. Perhaps it will change. There are particulars in other places like "what foods are you eating" threads etc...

I generally wouldn't eat anything to aid my physique or performance if I thought it was bad for me..so i certainly don't take any kind of supplements other than fermented fish oil (just recently) and some D3 (last winter and likely this winter). I have found eating some cooked vegetables and animal foods seem to have at least a cosmetic effect in this way, but its not super often that I'll eat those at least for these reasons.

The crappy answer is: time. I tend to agree with AV that 1.) being underweight is not good and 2.) that inability to put on weight is a poor sign of health and not a positive one..that it takes time to assess and resolve underlying things before people fill out..particulary on an all raw diet. You have these folks that say..oh I can eat all these carbs and not gain weight..so its only SAD diets or something where that is bad, but the thing is..you are supposed to gain weight doing that, thats likely how our ancetors put on weight for the winters.

so if you are on a carb based diet I would suggest eating more starchy and assimilatable carbs..I don't know a bunch about that but I know for most people that eating fruits and meats will not pack on lbs. Most fruitarians that arn't anorexic eat bagels and shit and this is from eye-obserations. Part of this I believe is those diets that do not contain proper ammounts of fats or create intinsic body fat that can be burned - do not actually facilitate moving crap out of the body. There are other factors but this isnt' my approach to speak much more about.

on a fat based diet, you could try eating more carbs...which likely won't work, or eating a very diverse diet, including a variety of fat sources. Of course I'd be remiss or paleo-PC to not say that I find dairy fat (not milk) to work alot better than ONLY suet, marrow etc..that I can only get frozen. Of course like cooked-foods one could say that one puts weight on due to some toxcitiy or something, but i've come across so many raw foodists that now eat cooked foods to know that even if true this really doesn't matter. Having a sustainable diet that allows for that level of healing over time in addition to getting tons of sleep, rest and emotional support should work better than eating a random assortment of "non-toxic" food.. which very well might also be toxic.

---

There was no food that sparked energy..I think in my other journal I mentioned about feeling shitty and working out anyway. If you have ever been seriously depressed..maybe you can understand how that kind of thing perpetuates and flows into the positive.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 11:50:29 pm »
Thanks KD. It's good to know that others went through a similar stage on this diet, too. I'll continue to work out a diet that focuses on my well-being and long-term sustainability while not trying to worry about my weight too much.

I noticed that I felt best on this diet when I first began, when I was transitioning from a vegetarian to a RAF diet. At this time I was still getting a lot of vegetables (cooked and raw) and then just a little bit of meat. Then I began the mistake of experimenting with RZC and wasn't able to stick it out. Now I find myself unable to justify eating a lot of vegetables or carbohydrates because of a mental stigma I've created in my mind. The idea of a balanced diet of all foods raw and cooked seems most pleasing to the mind, too. Especially now that it is getting colder, I wouldn't mind some a warm bowl of something to warm my bones.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
Thanks KD. It's good to know that others went through a similar stage on this diet, too. I'll continue to work out a diet that focuses on my well-being and long-term sustainability while not trying to worry about my weight too much.

I solved my weight gain thing with:

- probiotics overdosing which made my gut solid
- deworming... got rid of my tape worms
- raw wild honey (I make lemonade)
- durian season is great, this month is durian season, durian every day.

Aajonus says being a bit overweight is a good thing.  So I'm gunning for 140 lbs.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 07:56:16 am »

I solved my weight gain thing with:

- probiotics overdosing which made my gut solid
- deworming... got rid of my tape worms
- raw wild honey (I make lemonade)
- durian season is great, this month is durian season, durian every day.

Aajonus says being a bit overweight is a good thing., So I'm gunning for 140 lbs.

I noticed that I felt best on this diet when I first began, when I was transitioning from a vegetarian to a RAF diet.  

ok heres some of my opinions on that:

my understanding of Aajonus' thing is that he does think its healthier to be somewhat heavier than what he calls 'fashion thin' . This has to do with buffering modern toxins. Worth noting is he's speaking about modern people in a modern environment, not HGs who are clearly lean, muscled, and sinewy BF wise.. More importantly He recommends (to my understanding) that people gain and lose weight so that toxins fill the fat stores and can be burned off.  

Theoretically, this seems to be one reason for doing a ketogenic or at least a low-carb paleo diet..as its should yield the similar results over a period of time whereas without doing the primal things..like eating tons of honey, carby dairy.. juices...as it is likely not going to happen just eating fruit and meats if they are raw. cooked 'paleo' with starchy tubers might be different.

He says something about fatter people being generally happier and when they actually do lose weight that often they end up looking better than skinny people their same age...or something which seems empirically accurate to me. This agitation/unhappiness in skinny people he attributes to all kinds of toxic crap, but also carby diets, fermentation, blood sugar stuff etc... as well as lack of nutrition. Eating comparatively excess [raw] nutrition and/or staying away from toxic food doesn't necessarily address such things even in comparison to some healthy cooked diets that don't have the fermentation, blood sugar problems, can build adipose> etc....

---

I don't doubt that part of the issue for people is lack of proper bacteria..or even preexisting parasites that a huge % of the population probably does have that are indeed no good. Only a s system that is healthy is relatively immune to most parasites IMO and otherwise its not a great situation. There might be some kind of better transition or precautionary mesures or protocols  before eating heavy raw meats for people with compromised systems

A bigger reason I think...a good deal of it... is what Lex and others report..that when eating fats it can take years to properly transition to that kind of fuel...never mind the actual repair which takes precedence over cosmetic stuff. That or the body isn't 'programmed' to know the most efficient way to remove modern toxins, or unfortunately the body might 'know' on some level that it needs to but its not going to have that appetite or make use out of raw foods to always make storing fat happen.  This is where it gets into problems that AV touches on with damaging your organs or so forth when 'detoxing'..while actually eating raw, if there is no fat to store it so toxins coming out can be more damaging than ones going in.

With RAW carbs often people are not digesting them properly, absorbing the nutrition, or they just feed fungus and cause all kinds of problems...so they can't build healthy tissue at all never mind add fat or muscle. Look at the range of people in the real world and in the raw food world as a whole you are going to see certain people doing at least seemingly ok eating all kinds of diets and some people doing way better with different amounts and types of plant foods, fats etc... Its unfortunate that generally people that have more build up of crap are gong to have those poor conditions like candida..that will inevitably make high sugar diets not workable regardless of what the natural human diet is.  Its super ironic then that the people close to nature -presumably healthier -  are going to have less problems with raw sugary carbs and yet these people even in tropical areas eat a huge majority of cooked and starchy carb foods. Also that people that have the worst extreme problems are often seen as exceptions that needing to go on low carb approaches. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense... unless one is saying that for relatively healthy people it doesn't matter as much, which I would agree but this doesn't say much about what diet our natural diet is.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:32:16 pm by KD »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:58 am »

I noticed that I felt best on this diet when I first began, when I was transitioning from a vegetarian to a RAF diet. At this time I was still getting a lot of vegetables (cooked and raw) and then just a little bit of meat. Then I began the mistake of experimenting with RZC and wasn't able to stick it out. Now I find myself unable to justify eating a lot of vegetables or carbohydrates because of a mental stigma I've created in my mind. The idea of a balanced diet of all foods raw and cooked seems most pleasing to the mind, too. Especially now that it is getting colder, I wouldn't mind some a warm bowl of something to warm my bones.

I often see people saying they are embarking on a 'ZC' diet and I really don't know why..or what benefits they think they will get that won't come from eating a minimal to moderate range of carb foods, those that contain nutrients which even in an all wild meat diet might not be present in domestic ruminants muscle or even organs. Its a genuine curiosity of what those intentional reasons are. I don't think its 'bad' and would suspect that especially for short term it would be ok or good in comparison to alot of other diets. I can see people who can't seem to digest much else, I just don't get the thought process when you hear people who post that are already eating a range of raw and presumably cooked foods too. eating a raw diet (particularly 100%) is hard enough..socially, transitions, detox etc...without putting up unnecessary roadblocks unless there is some very pressing reason for not allowing for a gentle transition and functional WOE. Certainly warm bones beats pure diet, being able to go outside, hang out with your friends and to feel good about yourself beats pure diet...

I don't know or care if we would classify as 'carnivores' or not depending on how much meat and how little plants we are supposed to eat but I personally don't think carbohydrates or vegetables are toxic in the ways in which they are described here sometimes, and the degree to whether cooked foods are toxic is extremely relative to me in comparison to what else someone is eating. I mention that alot it seems.  

Its tough for me because on one hand I believe The Weston Price folks and 'real food' types overestimate the ability of that WOE to clean out and buffer toxins or do serious repair. Of course some people have lived more or less healthfully without medicine to 100 eating toast in bacon fat too. The key there likely is the joy in their lives, the purity of their environment (at least for a chunk of their development) and usually NOT doing whatever other factors. For our generation, Hoping to live that way is somewhat wishful thinking now with people today probably not being able to get away with bad foods so easily along with our genetic and environment inheritance as well as previous worse habits during most peoples early development. Folk like Daniel Vitalis and some other people I know of seem to in turn straddle that zone where my thoughts are and the ancestral cooked diet 'extreme'. When it comes down to it between a all raw diet and those folks...I think most people should not only be healthy eating in that range..but should also be able to reverse health problems that many raw food diets (even those including animal foods) might not.

I'm definitely way closer on the spectrum of thinking that raw foods - including animal foods can be pretty important to restoring health. The idea that our cooked paleolithic ancestors were toxic walking death however: pretty weak. I think most people on this forum can agree to that. Maybe where I disagree with some is that while I think alot of amazing things can be done with raw food, this idea that people eating a raw food diet late in life are going to transform and live -naturally- forever and much more healthfully than folks hundreds or thousands of years ago I think is sorely mistaken. In fact the only way I think this IS possible is if one takes in to account human technologies (not medicine and technology per se) but things like luxury and leisure, joy, spirituality etc..which seem to go a long with way in extending life say in pre modern Japan or something. This combined with some inteillgence about diet which shifts and changes with new knowledge that becomes available..whether its eating more fats or less meats or more of this or that miconutrient than we typically would because of depled soil excess of other heavy metals or any other factors.

There is no consensus really on health or nutrition. There is basically universal ignorance as to what foods and processes actually can help a modern person out of poor health and really only a range in credible observations and trends. I look to nature to see what kind of things might be ok in that vacuum of which it was..not which things necessarily reverse some crazy modern dilemma. You have to actually look at people's bodies today to figure that out.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:37:41 pm by KD »

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:05 pm »
I often see people saying they are embarking on a 'ZC' diet and I really don't know why..or what benefits they think they will get that won't come from eating a minimal to moderate range of carb foods, those that contain nutrients which even in an all wild meat diet might not be present in domestic ruminants muscle or even organs. Its a genuine curiosity of what those intentional reasons are.

To answer your question, I believed that if simply eating raw meat could create the vitality that I felt when I first began eating raw meat I thought a diet that purely consisted of raw meat must be the logical developmental step. However, I would say that for me this was too extreme and the original variety and balance I had may have been better.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:21 am »
Hey KD,

I just read over your journal and wanted to give you a shout out.

You have transformed yourself into such a handsome, healthy young man! I wouldn't even be able to guess that the pictures you posted of yourself earlier were the same person.

Congratulations on finding your way. Not only do you look fabulous, but your intelligence and common sense in your writing shines through.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and your thoughts.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2011, 05:36:23 am »
Hey KD,

Congratulations on finding your way. Not only do you look fabulous, but your intelligence and common sense in your writing shines through.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and your thoughts.

Thanks for the shout out Dorothy.

I sure have alot of thoughts.

but I know for sure that for whatever physical transformations I've gone through, my mental clarity and genuine peacefulness (usually despite whatever external crap) is at its height as I near entering my 7th year messing around with raw food. This is certainly worth noting because at many times in that period it was as far below normal as it gets. I try not to play pop-psychology, but quite often I find myself wondering which kind of programs seem to match up with which kind of mumbo jumbo.

I'm grateful we have you and an increasing amount of members like you that share new information and ask good questions.

I guess I assume people are on a forum because they have some mix of doubts (which we all should have) or curiosity about something, that they want to tweak and experiment and discover new information - whether things are working fantastic or not - and have a kind of self-honesty about those things. That kind of curiosity to me seems innately "paleo",  otherwise we wouldn't have got very far. Or perhaps that is hows we got addicted to all kinds of shiny and toxic crap! heh heh
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:38:40 am by KD »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2011, 06:39:45 am »
on a related note, I just ordered some interesting gear from a raw vegan site. Some kind of bamboo charcoal purifying sack - thats supposed to top an air cleaner in every way, a fermented kelp chlorella product, and some kind of Polynesian nuts (havn't really been doing any nuts the last 2 years). This week I've dipped into my 2 month plus sheep liver, ate a whole beef heart, some local husk cherries - which are an awesome low-sugar fruit, a lb of liver, some sauerkraut and kim chi.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:38:28 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »
The crappy answer is: time. I tend to agree with AV that 1.) being underweight is not good and 2.) that inability to put on weight is a poor sign of health and not a positive one..that it takes time to assess and resolve underlying things before people fill out..particulary on an all raw diet.

How did you manage the passage of time? Did you seek out the assistance from a professional to ensure you were on a path suitable for  you? Or did you experiment and continue to eat raw animal foods according to your instincts and adapt continually?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 12:15:12 am »
Did you seek out the assistance from a professional to ensure you were on a path suitable for  you? Or did you experiment and continue to eat raw animal foods according to your instincts and adapt continually?

heh, well, what I feel are my instincts are fairly shaded by my observations. following many of my true instincts in this society would direct me to jail and potato chips. I can say I have less addictions or cravings or needs than I can remember. I enjoy most things I do, make compromises here and there and enjoy those too. I do add fat to my meals whether I feel like it or not or it tastes as good as muscle meat because thats part of my diet. I can't afford much meat or have concerns about eating lots of protein anyway. Based on my need for a certain amount of energy - ascribing to this idea that I would be jeopardizing getting energy that way by eating more carbs - that makes the most sense to do .

I certainly eat less things from my wild environment - ie. the supermarket - than I would if I didn't care or know anything about diet or assess how I feel, but overall my cravings seem to go inline with what I eat and are satisfied.

I eat the way I do based on what made the most sense to me and attempting to not listen to outright crap that didn't go inline with what I saw. I wouldn't call any of it "professional advice".

---

After the original raw/RAF experiments years prior. I decided to go on a 'primal blueprint' type diet. Sicne I was already indoctrinated and afraid of cooked food or whatever the idea only was to be sorta healthy but sorta normal. ..and that just didn't last long. This is partly because although I did feel better with specific symptoms due to LC..my diet was so strict (much more than most of those folks do) that I decided to go back eating all raw due to all the boiling eggs and meat or whatever.

So the actual symptoms I was experiencing went away ...but I felt most of the other crappy stuff that I guess paled to what I was feeling on all other diets with the presumed constant fungal stuff. So I think what I was saying is in those periods I felt more of a chronic fatigue..rather than having all kinds of awful symptoms. I did have periods with some of that though..fevers, vomiting etc.

So that is how I understand it, but I don't feel exactly comfortable recommending people stick it out though all symptoms etc...so its hard to say.

How did you manage the passage of time?

I think having a passion, goals, or at the very least hobbies are really necessary in life and particularly for transitions or hard times. Ideally this isn't news or conspiracy websites. Definitely having something where if all this raw food bullshit falls though..there is something else that has meaning and significance..and the world is not over or whatever. Anything that makes seeing such as just another weird thing to do and thus probably lets the brain focus on more healing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:22:41 am by KD »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 07:28:23 am »
Sometimes I find myself out with cool people and I'm forced to cheat on my diet.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 09:07:12 am »
Ha-ha.

Tea party!  ;D

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:03 am »
I can't blame you on that one KD. :D
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 02:34:41 am »
That kind of social pressure cannot be conquered with will power. Imagine if you said no? You might have been cuddled to suffocation and not been able to "bear" it.

Really cute KD.  ;D

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 02:54:31 am »
Funny stuff.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 09:57:47 am »
luv it KD! :D

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »
Sometimes I find myself out with cool people and I'm forced to cheat on my diet.

I guess your nice friends are breatharians, right?

Löwenherz

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2011, 06:44:25 am »
luv it KD! :D

thanks guys. I have to admit I just stumbled upon these folks randomly visiting some odd town, but they did know how to have a good time.   8)

---

I'm having fun experimenting with some of the products I got from the 'superfood' site.  Tried a few varieties of nuts and even a jungle peanut (presumed to be a legume still I guess) . Its fall so I've had less local fruits and have skipped out on much of anything sweet for the most part but interestingly now I can just eat a small amounts of nuts without pounding a bag like in the past. I'm trying pine pollen too, but like the nuts and other things..I basically forget to eat them regularly, not ultimately being very entertaining compared to my outer life. My favorite thing I got is a fermented kelp & chlorella product. Supposed to have clinical sucess with pulling out metals in the intestines, preventing their re-absorbtion and chellating them out of the body. Tastes great too with raw and cultured veggies which I've been eating more of.  I also got ahold of some supposed ethical veal suet..which is a fairly unreal and subtle fat.

I bought one of these too, supposed to be documented better than any air purifier - but since I have no real sensitivities its hard to tell if its made an improvement.

http://mosonatural.com/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:00:14 pm by KD »

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2011, 07:09:32 pm »
I don't know or care if we would classify as 'carnivores' or not depending on how much meat and how little plants we are supposed to eat but I personally don't think carbohydrates or vegetables are toxic...

Let me throw in my thoughts about carbs:

After eating a raw food diet for over 12 years now I finally arrived at ZC/very very low carb and have no doubt any more that FRUCTOSE in fruits is purely toxic to my body.  Not because I just believe it, but because I can SEE and FEEL the damage every day. The higher the fructose content, the more damage. I needed years to realize that. Or in better words: I needed years to stop ignoring all signs of damage from fructose due to my sugar addiction and Arnold Ehret brainwashing (one of my first raw food books). Mangos, apples and watermelons are extremely bad, for example. All low sugar salads and vegetables are fine and I think that they are really health promoting.

Of course, I still 'LOVE' the taste of sugar sweet watermelons and apples.

Are these foods 'natural'? NOT AT ALL. Only in instincto illusions...

And I still 'LOVE' the taste of beer, champagner, potatoes, chips, big macs, chocolate, milk shakes, orange juice, popcorn, gingerbread etc. etc. etc.

Löwenherz

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:57 am »
There is just no way any animal given a a constant choice of food that our modern system provides is drawn to the same proportions of things it gets in nature. Looking at the larger world, certain 'modern' diets work better than others, and these have to do with compositions, quality and proportions which is unfortunately going to be left to peoples experiences and scrutinous examination of traditional diets and modern research. If we are talking domestic animals (arguably less deranged according to raw/hygienic thinking than humans) and feed them some religiously constructed diet of raw foods independent of how they should eat they certainly will eat it and WILL do worse than modern dogfood.

if one wishes one can easily poison bears, wolves, (omnivores and carnivores alike) with natural substances put in attractive food. If you can sneak outright poison into foods, certainly people won't use their taste to decipher how much fructose is taken in or how much internal fermentation or fungus or any other thing is being created unless the symptoms are addressed and analyzed. Often if people have internal inbalances they will crave what these imbalances crave.  Likewise, protein will likely taste good regardless of whether it is causing long term problems or short term poor use for energy in comparison to fats (or complex carbs). Foods not even on the menu for religious reasons of course will not be craved or if so, not sought out. Your body doesn't seem to have an intelligence at all to respond on a day to day in any meaningful way, only adjusting here and there to our decisions to ensure our best survival - which is not thriving.

For me no matter how poorly my health was exacerbated by all natural raw diets all the culprits still tasted fantastic and could eat more and more of them as you point out. Its easy to rationalize ones feelings as ideal or as natural consequences if they aren't actually being tested regularly in that natural environment or even comparing them to other diets.

With fructose I do think this is A issue, I'm not sure if its the main issue and would even pose a more radical view than some other paleo theorists that even other high fructose diets will not necessarily have the same issues as high fruit diets. The idea that anything unrefined is harmless is clearly absurd. Whole families of humans could be killed by a 16 oz tonic featuring 100% belladonna and yet individuals can drink 16 oz of coke almost every day and some of these people end up like Clint Eastwood. With fruit there are even GI issues that come into play that aren't factored in with regular table sugar which absorbs quite differently.

I have noticed myself the higher fructose content fruits generally do seem to be the most problematic and this is pointed out by others as well. I know I've eaten most of the tropical fruits off the tree in a semi-wild (unsprayed) environment. In order to get at the best tasting fruit you have to pick it at a certain point then sometimes still put it in a bag to ripen, otherwise you are picking from fermented fruits (which will from experience create more internal fermentation i.e. alcoholic spots on bananas) on the ground filled with ants and other insects. Most of these so called 'fruits of our origin' are not found in the plains but in jungles rampant with all kinds of scary small predators which seem to innately scare the shit out of humans. This makes the whole idea of 'easy access fruit abundance' where lone wanderer eating under a tree in blissful harmony quite absurd. Killing one animal can keep one full - back at base for weeks, that is when humans can garner energy from the fat of animals, which they undoubtedly are able and would have been required to do in nature.

Even looking at the composition of these things, durian, mango, jakfruit, the seeds are MASSIVE and yet these fruits are more specifically adapted to humans rather than fruits like berries where we can transport the seeds?? Oranges, limes, tomatoes, cucumber, gourd, guava, etc., are berries. These fruits or things like pineapple where the seeds are scattered on the outside, or fruits like papaya and breadfruit (a more starchy/fatty fruit) and squashes who have smaller softer and even more edible seeds also seem to be more sorted to being symbiotic with humans. Many of these are found in Africa and even these fruits are smaller in nature, less sweet and difficult to get in quantity.  Is it no mystery that people generally do better on these fruits, particularly when combined with animal foods diet.  Most of these are fairly uninteresting or unable to be binged upon. guava? papaya, pineapple? breadfruit? not exactly my cup of tea for 80% of my calories day in day out. 

At least the modern fruitarians tend to combine some level of science? as they notice (probably correctly) that when you add a fair amount of fat (and animal protein always has SOME fat) that there are going to be even issues for a perfectly natural person - never mind a modern person with predisposition to all kinds of problems - doing so. I see no evidence currently that raw fruit carb-based diets (animal food or not) can produce people that are healthy enough or have the strength and energy to actually stalk and hunt large prey at all. I have no interest in saying LC, VLC is superior to other diets only suggesting that the above 'diet' really has no record of success in existing modern or traditional peoples (heavy on lean heavy animal meats and tropical fruits). In traditional societies with perfect access to natural food we see either fat burning or a multitude of carb-based diets of cooked compact starchy foods even when fruits are everywhere. http://world-food-and-wine.com/food-in-Africa

I really have no problem with people promoting carb based diets as long as they realistically are meeting nutritional requirements and not saying eating 20 sweet modern fruits are better than some yams and vegetables because one is raw and the other cooked. These type of arguments clearly have no integrity or awareness to the realities of the past and the present.

On the other hand, obviously carb-based systems require and crave carbs. I don't think this makes any type of carb craving evil or unnatural as certainly vitamins and minerals are present in these foods, but if someone can't just eat a piece of fruit and then walk away, obviously there is some kind of fungal or addictive problem. Most people easily can skip to eat fat or protein if they are eating tons of sugar and I would suggest that entirely as a case for addiction rather than natural proclivity to carbs as energy.  I can eat small amounts of all three if I had to, I'll just be hungry (eventually) as nature has twistedly only left us with those three things to choose to acquire fuel that all have supposed consequences. Most of this energy would have gone to acquiring more food.  The most efficient system of building energy (fats which then probably over time transitioned to complex carbs) wouldn't have so easily compensated for mediocrity in a natural setting.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:29:09 am by KD »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:26 am »

Or in better words: I needed years to stop ignoring all signs of damage from fructose due to my sugar addiction and Arnold Ehret brainwashing (one of my first raw food books). Mangos, apples and watermelons are extremely bad, for example. All low sugar salads and vegetables are fine and I think that they are really health promoting.

sure I've read Ehret and all other 'greats'. These people spinned amazing tales that if you ate in their way, the way that they believed 'nature' to be than of course! your health would be far better than all the cooked toxic wastes dumps who use trickery to appear healthy, strong and live a long time. Then when it didn't people turned to each and every other factor in their life (wholesome environment, exercise, rest) -possibly not a bad thing per se- but without examining that foundation of what is 'reasonable' as an entire diet. Some people seem to think a diet is just a accumulation of subjective criticisms about what isn't good. HMM ok. Lack of criticism to the original theory translates as more and more obsessive rules about what is good, what is ok to combine with what. what times a day one can eat food etc...just to stay alive, nevermind thrive as a human being in a modern society.

I do (still ,I think) tend to assume one can construct a raw diet that has better nutrition and less disease causing agents than cooked diets. I don't of course think a raw diet that includes cooked food is automatically going to be worse than some random other raw diet. I still think that raw diets are going to have the leg up on certain kinds of healing if done appropriately, although even since getting back to RAF I no longer consider 'raw' to be that X-factor in whether someone succeeds in diet,healing, or life. These assumptions and pressures seem to all inevitably lead to choosing ideologies and holding out for long-term predictions over actual successes.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:44:19 am by KD »

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:44 pm »
Good two posts there KD.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2011, 02:47:29 am »
I do (still ,I think) tend to assume one can construct a raw diet that has better nutrition and less disease causing agents than cooked diets. I don't of course think a raw diet that includes cooked food is automatically going to be worse than some random other raw diet. I still think that raw diets are going to have the leg up on certain kinds of healing if done appropriately, although even since getting back to RAF I no longer consider 'raw' to be that X-factor in whether someone succeeds in diet,healing, or life. These assumptions and pressures seem to all inevitably lead to choosing ideologies and holding out for long-term predictions over actual successes.

KD, I fully agree!

Thanks a lot for your posts. I really enjoy reading them.

Löwenherz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk