Author Topic: Quote of the Day(inspired by SD's post)  (Read 140176 times)

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
Re: Quote of the Day(inspired by SD's post)
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »
"lol i dunno. i just feel like destiny child r kinda lame. i have no prob w music lyrics, just destiny child? rly? they dont even write their own shit"

The PresidenT

Lead singer Beyoncé Knowles is a singer-songwriter and according to Wikipedia, "wrote and produced almost every single track on the [Survivor] album." The quote is perfectly worthy here.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 09:45:01 pm »
"A strong hatred is the best lamp to bear in our hands as we go over the dark places of life, cutting away the dead things men tell us to revere." -Rebecca West

Sounds like Carl Sagan in a BAD mood!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58:46 am »
"Seize from every moment its unique novelty, and do not prepare your joys."

Not my fave, but I like (need!) being reminded to enjoy the journey as I often make long term goals, rush to the finish line, and then the accomplishment is entirely anti-climactic at best. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 01:02:45 am »
I've written this on stall walls all over North America...  ;D ;)

To be is to do — Socrates
To do is to be — Jean Paul Sartre
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra
Cheers
Al

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 01:11:16 am »
I don't like formal gardens. I like wild nature. It's just the wilderness instinct in me, I guess.

-- Walt Disney

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 10:07:23 am »
"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line. .... There is a fractal face to the geometry of nature." --Benoit Mandelbrot, The Fractal Geometry of Nature, 1983, pp. 1, 3
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »
"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line. .... There is a fractal face to the geometry of nature." --Benoit Mandelbrot, The Fractal Geometry of Nature, 1983, pp. 1, 3
Thanks for the tip PP I have it on order from the library.

If you're going through hell, keep going. --- Winston Churchill
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:35 pm »
Now I know I have a heart... 'cause it's breaking ! ---- The "Tin Man" in the "Wizard of OZ"

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004331/quotes
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 11:41:22 pm »
"Do unto others as they would have done unto themselves." --- Dr Tony Alessandra... "The Platinum Rule"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjpwXIwUuc
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 08:39:31 am »
A couple more interesting variations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWcgsQOrXgE

The Gold-Plated Brazen Rule
This rule was described by Robert Axelrod in his book The Evolution of Cooperation and labeled by Carl Sagan. It was found to be the most effective strategy in the Prisoner's Dilemma game.

Be friendly at first meetings.
Do not envy.
Be generous; forgive your enemy if he forgives you.
Be neither a tyrant nor a patsy.
Retaliate proportionately to an intentional injury (within the constraints of the law).
Make your behavior fairly (although not perfectly) clear and consistent.

You're welcome, Al.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »
"We are not held back by the love we didn't receive in the past, but by the love we're not extending in the present."

Marianne Williamson

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 11:05:41 pm »
"the speed of combat is quickly becoming too fast for human decision makers."

--JOHN MARKOFF, "War Machines: Recruiting Robots for Combat," NYT, November 27, 2010, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/science/28robot.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 10:16:27 am »
"People need to believe that order can be glimpsed in the chaos of events.” — John Gray, Heresies

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 07:17:00 pm »
"The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do."
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem."
"A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron."
Joseph Stalin
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 03:08:53 am »
"Let's start with one simple idea: Mother Nature isn't stupid. She didn't make human beings the only species that prefers foods that will kill us."   - Tom Naughton, Fathead (the movie http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head - warning, the movie promotes cooked LC diets and features the Eades prominently as experts, so it would likely anger folks like Tyler)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 04:22:25 am »
"Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances."
Herodotus

"In soft regions are born soft men."
Herodotus

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 08:24:08 am »
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the Americas Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon."
-Chris Rock
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 08:32:08 am »
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the Americas Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon."
-Chris Rock
Now, that's a good one!
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 10:23:04 pm »
-Chris Rock
Excelente!!
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:50 am »
"Until shortly before the common era, the very last 1 percent of human history, the social landscape consisted of elementary self-governing kinship units that might, occasionally, cooperate in hunting, feasting, skirmishing, trading, and peacemaking. It did not contain anything one could call a state. In other words, living in the absence of state structures has been the standard human condition."

- James C. Scott, PhD, The Art of Not Being Governed

Hannibal, could you please make this thread a sticky so it's easy to find?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2010, 01:23:32 am »
The further backward you can look,
The further forward you can see.

Winston Churchill
Cheers
Al

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 01:56:27 am »
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you." (Ted Nugent)
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 02:52:27 am »
 O tempora! O mores! (lit. "Oh what times! Oh what customs!") - Cicero(in his speech denouncing Catiline).
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 03:44:55 am »
“He who is brave is free."
“As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.”
-Seneca.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2010, 08:16:43 am »
“If you're not willing to lose everything, you'll never be able to gain anything.” —Costas Gournas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk