Author Topic: Winter running  (Read 34953 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Winter running
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 11:55:19 am »
Sprinting can burn you out in the matter of seconds calling for an increased need for oxygen.

Sprinting jogging, biking, swimming. All to different.  ;)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:32 pm »
It's because running is more balanced across your body than cycling. Unless you're very adapted to cycling specifically, and you're generally healthy, the main cycling muscles, the quads particularly, will begin to tire before you get out of breath.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 12:41:27 pm »
don't quite understand the discussion. I mean its true that biking up a hill can be more difficult than running, because of the nature of how the bike works, but as a general rule you are going to use less of your energy and endurance per distance on a bike and that wil afect your heart rate and be prone to differnt effects of oxygen etc.. unless that is stating the obvious.

I have no choice but to bike and it drives me crazy in bad weather. I would much rather run if feasable. I've never been much of a distance runner but can bike endless distances. I'm doing most of my cardio indoors doing various box jumps and lateral jumps, rowing and some static running and jump rope. these to me represent more efficent modes of cardio then the biking or running - at least as a comparrison to my biking which is mostly what I am familar with anyway. Can't really compare to regular jogging becuse I just don't do that much other than the runs at crossfit.

I like running as part of workouts with weights, multiple series of 500 m or 800 m back and forth...its intense. I won a bike sprint in ~26 seconds even though my foot slipped out - lost time - and had to pedal not strapped in. I have pretty good times on both rowing and ped sprinting but I wouldn't attempt these outside right now :) for the reasons listed in this thread in regards to conditions.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:49 am »
Back to winter running, you don't need shoes to run in winter.  It takes some time, but you can acclimate your feet to handle cold surfaces.  I started January 1 here in Vermont (New Year's resolution), and can now run a mile or so through the snow, slush and ice before my feet feel too cold and I need to stop and put shoes back on.  You do need to make sure you aren't running through salt, though.  Salt tears your foot pads up, and will cause the skin on your soles to wear off very fast so that your feet will be raw even after very short runs.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2011, 11:52:58 am »
Actually when it snowed was when I started running barefoot again after going with vibrams for a few weeks in the cold/icy weather. Since I was running on tarmac, the snow actually provided insulation and made it warmer for my feet. Also, my vibrams were too slippy on the slush but my feet were fine. Grit was also no problem.

My experience is that my feet usually start off warm, cool off, and then get warm again and stay warm, when running barefoot in the winter.

5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 10:22:36 am »
My experience has been similar.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »
Actually when it snowed was when I started running barefoot again after going with vibrams for a few weeks in the cold/icy weather. Since I was running on tarmac, the snow actually provided insulation and made it warmer for my feet. Also, my vibrams were too slippy on the slush but my feet were fine. Grit was also no problem.

My experience is that my feet usually start off warm, cool off, and then get warm again and stay warm, when running barefoot in the winter.

Wow I don't imagine how you could do it. I tried to keep up my barefoot runniing in winter but one day my smallest toe started getting blue and it did fell numb so I put on shoes the next day. Maybe I will try again this year  ;)

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 01:47:02 am »
I too am wearing minimalist running shoes, I like Merrell's I get 1/2 size larger than my foot to accommodate pure wool socks, no cotton at all. I have the leather ones $120, but they have water proof men's pair, when it is icy you can put the ice cleat things that go over your sneakers, I bought mine at walmart about $10. For high snow I wear gators. That's one option.

However, I just came across this video on my barefoot running site. The have a group called the barefoot savages for paleo barefooters, I think raw should be part so I stay in the group. They hardly talk about diet at all.
      Please check this guy out. He (Wim Hof) ran barefoot north of the Arctic circle. He did get frost bite but, he healed it with meditation, and he had a medical team and lots of documented science checking him out. He trained his son and others to do what he does. I'm reading his book on Kindle its incredible. He also climbed Kilimanjaro and ran without water in the desert. He say he can controll his autonomic nervous system through meditation and breath work. He has trained himself to do this on the fly.

the next bunch of stuff is my attemt to attach a link to the youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/madoDvtKEes

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=DRKhE&m=3keWunXFWlvjB9e&b=ifh0vMbwNkAOhSvnlEYHQQ

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=DRKhE&m=3keWunXFWlvjB9e&b=ifh0vMbwNkAOhSvnlEYHQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madoDvtKEes#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madoDvtKEes#

I'm so confused as to how to give you the link, so if you can't get to it from my attempts go to youtube and search for iceman barefoot running, the one I like best is through the discovery channel.
His website is called

www.innerfire.nl/english

I don't think any of my attempts worked to provide links, I'm very sorry the website is www. innerfire.nl/english

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:57:02 pm by djr_81 »
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 07:57:39 pm »
I don't think any of my attempts worked to provide links, I'm very sorry the website is www. innerfire.nl/english
I fixed what I could Adora. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2011, 12:09:42 am »
He also climbed Kilimanjaro and ran without water in the desert. He say he can controll his autonomic nervous system through meditation and breath work. He has trained himself to do this on the fly.

This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

"tell me about your hobbies" haha.

---

the kind of stuff he's engaged with...unfortunately is under the radar of many 'health' folks.  Kinda shows the primacy of lots of (unknown?) factors in terms of how we can change our circumstances....other than through diet/cleansing of course.

Although, in my experience...eating a healthful diet has generally been a prerequisite to any kind of moving around of energy in any beneficial way. Some people figure out other paths somehow..

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 03:20:04 am »
This adds a new element to the "are people naturally tropical organisms or are they adapted to cold climates?" (can't remember the exact wording), discussed in an earlier thread.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:43 am »
Wim Hoff apparently uses Tummo. It comes from Tibetan Buddhism which, interestingly, allows meat consumption.

Even the Dalai Lama eats meat, which many people do not seem to be aware of. Meat eating is not only not necessarily bad, it can be sublime.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2011, 10:36:51 am »
I don't use any special techniques like Wim Hoff, but I also seem to adapt well to cold weather running and swimming. I don't think I'll be running a half marathon barefoot over ice and snow, but a couple miles wouldn't be a big deal. As the years go by I suspect it will become less and less of a big deal, and my ability to run a couple miles might eventually morph into the ability to run a half marathon.

I also swim in Lake Champlain throughout the winter, as long as I can find a safe place to get into the water (in colder winters the lake sometimes freezes over; it did last year so I couldn't swim from December through late March). I was swimming just yesterday on the winter solstice. I took the water temp after I got out, and my thermometer read 43 degrees Fahrenheit. I wasn't in the water too long, maybe just a few minutes, but then it's the first time I've been in since the water temps fell below 50 so I'll take things slow. I've noticed that when I first get in my muscles want to tense up, but if I can keep them relaxed then that initial feel of "Holy Shit the Water's Cold!" passes in a few seconds and it's easier to stay in the water. I do get out once I start shivering though.

I should try Wim Hoff's method of willing the body to be warm. I've trained in Qi Gong and martial arts more generally for over a decade, and have good control over my body's energy. I'm planning on going for another swim on Sunday if it's not too rainy, so I'll make a concerted effort to try warming my body while I'm in the water to see if I can notice any difference.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2011, 02:03:51 pm »
Wim Hoff apparently uses Tummo. It comes from Tibetan Buddhism which, interestingly, allows meat consumption.

Even the Dalai Lama eats meat, which many people do not seem to be aware of. Meat eating is not only not necessarily bad, it can be sublime.

If you don't eat meat in the winter in Tibet, you can die.  There's not much food in the winter there, other than butter/cheese/meat, and the meat helps keep you warm.  Tibet is coooold in the winter.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:02 am »
If you don't eat meat in the winter in Tibet, you can die.  There's not much food in the winter there, other than butter/cheese/meat, and the meat helps keep you warm.  Tibet is coooold in the winter.

Does he still live in Tibet? I think wherever he travels, he eats meat one meal per day, breakfast or lunch.  Says it's to be gracious, but there were reports he had been vegetarian for I think one year's time, got ill trying that, and his doctor then told him he has to eat meat for his health. I'm not sure where it was.

Anyway, people are always saying nowadays to tread lightly on the earth and take nothing but pictures, lighten your carbon foot print etc.  Cows step hard and hurt your foot, smash the soil with tough hooves making it become hard to grow things, no? Felines and many predators step literally lightly with sensitive feet (lion & thorn fable), and I believe them eating the weak from the edges of the wild herds is helping take care of the Earth, something the Lama may understand.

Running, I should do this, need to find some running shoes, it may be too cold to run barefoot for me at the moment.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2012, 08:16:43 am »
According to news reports, the Dalai Lama's main home currently is in India, as he is in exile. He adopted a vegetarian diet after escaping to India, as a courtesy to his hosts. He became chronically ill on a vegetarian diet and his physician strongly urged him to add meat back into his diet, which the Dalai Lama did and recovered. One rarely hears about this, perhaps because of the pro-vegetarian bias and fear of red meat of much of the news media and Internet.

I've noticed many people respond with shock when they learn that most Tibetan Buddhists eat meat, including even the Dalai Lama, as pure vegetarianism and veganism have bogusly become strongly linked to all Buddhism and "holiness" in many Westerners' minds.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk