Author Topic: Your experience with DATES?  (Read 31239 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Your experience with DATES?
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »
I saw some dates in my in laws' refrigerator today.

They tasted pretty good.

I remember the vegan promoter Dr. Tam Mateo promote dates.

How about you?  Are dates raw?  Do they do you any good?

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Your experience with DATES?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:04:17 pm »
I like them TOO much! They are very addictive. Probably in very moderate qnt could be good but It is very difficult to get "stop" signal. According to inflammation index they are very much pro-inflammation (if belive source of info). IMHO, I drop them for good...

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:07:10 pm »
I like em with tea! someone told me once that its good for your testicles or something haha

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:08:34 pm »
The various dates I've eaten always resulted in some weird black gunge coming out of the side of my eyes, for a few days afterwards, making it look, bizarrely, as though I was wearing some sort of mascara or eyeshadow which was coming off. I figure, there must be nasty chemicals in them. Plus, I vaguely recall someone claiming that all commercial dates sold are invariably steamed beforehand - not sure re this, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:46:26 pm »
I've had raw undried dates a couple of times..they're a yellow fruit, bland and mealy Ok but nothing special. I like the dried medjool dates. I might eat some organic ones for Christmas.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 11:41:44 pm »
Most commercial dates are treated either by steam, deep freezing (Californian dates) or a gas to kill the insects that could be on it. Some are even coated with glucose. The only dates I trust are the ones from Orkos. They have about 20 varieties !
http://store.orkos.com/eng/raw-food/dates.html

I don't have any problems with them, as long as I'm careful to stop at the slightest feeling of "too sweet" starting to be unpleasant in the mouth, and also as long as they are not eaten in the same meal with meat or other animal food. It's better to eat it alone.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:50:35 am by TylerDurden »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 12:17:54 am »
Wow 20 kinds  :o
I prefer prunes because they are less sweet but some dates can be real good.
I recently got the "Fresh Dates" from Moshkan brand ( http://www.moshkandate.com ), from Iran... they are the Rotab Mozafati type, like this from your site: http://store.orkos.com/eng/raw-food/dates/date-mozafati-soft.html
I think it could be from the same guy.
I don't know how raw they are but looking at the site they use no pesticides and grow them traditionally. They look pretty raw/fresh to me and sure taste like it, insanely sweet though, it competes with honey, I could only eat one or two. The "skin" looks nice and clean, not crystallized. It leaves a nice "burn" in my mouth after, like so sweet its spicy  -d

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 12:20:15 am »
I've had raw undried dates a couple of times..they're a yellow fruit, bland and mealy Ok but nothing special. I like the dried medjool dates. I might eat some organic ones for Christmas.
I've eaten the dried organic medjool dates quite a bit, before. I would be surprised if they weren't steamed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:49:19 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:56:42 am »
I could only eat one or two. The "skin" looks nice and clean, not crystallized. It leaves a nice "burn" in my mouth after, like so sweet its spicy  -d
Mozafati dates are really sweet and tasty! This producer looks good, and if you can't eat more than one or two, they are most probably raw and ok.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 02:15:42 am »

I've also eaten these yellow undried dates. You need to leave them on the counter for at least few weeks (possibly longer), and they will eventually become soft and dark brown and quite tasty and sweet. They're no good when hard and yellow.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 02:16:20 am »
I had fresh dates in Jordan. There is a red and yellow variety I tried. They are somehwat bitter if they have some green. As they ripen that strt to turn black/brown and soft and sweet. The red and yellow have a very distnct taste. The red having a stronger stop signal for me also. I like the yellow more. I also had a smaller hard date, not soft and seemed more what a wild date would be like. Thin flesh and very hard.

These are fresh one I had on the upper right hand.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 02:19:16 am »
Fresh dates with a bit of ripening are the best way to go. I like them when they are crunchy but start to get little black spots. dates are good at all stages. In a desert people would have experienced all the stages of dates. Fresh, fresh with black spots, fresh fully black soft and sweet. Then finally dried date.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:23:15 am »
In Jordan they had a name for fresh date which sounded like "bellehh". Dried date was called something like "temer".
I am just spelling it out the way it sounded.
Cool they had 2 names for dried and fresh.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:24:48 am »
Aye, and those grapes had seeds!!!!!!!!! ???

All the grapes I had there had seeds!

Edit: and the bananas were bland surprisingly

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 02:30:10 am »
Aye, and those grapes had seeds!!!!!!!!! ???

All the grapes I had there had seeds!

Edit: and the bananas were bland surprisingly
I have never quite figured out how to eat grapes with seeds in them.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:04:13 am »
In Europe, almost all the grapes have seeds! You eat the whole grape with its seeds, what's the hell?

Yes, fresh dates are delicious.

Beautiful fruits platter, by the way, Sully!

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 08:08:06 am »
Yeah you can eat the whole grape but its easy to spit the seeds out as you eat them, they are kinda bitter seeds.
I had no idea people didn't know how to eat grapes though, lol  ;D

The bananas were bland? hmmm so far all bananas seem pretty bland to me, they don't have any strong taste as I remember.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 09:11:23 am »
Yeah, I just swallow the seeds, sometime sthey get munched by accident.

@yuli It's just was not as sweet as other bananas. It was local, they grow some bananas there. Perhaps the soil or variety. I was surprised, expecting it to be really sweet at the ripeness it was.

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
I love dates, but I'll only eat two or three at the most. They are so incredibly sweet to me. I'll take them if my energy wanes, or to hold me over until I can eat a meal.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:04 pm »
I love the taste of good quality raw dates (about 20$ per kilo)
They are indeed very sweet.
AFAIK gladiators in Ancient Rome ate a lot of dates.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:27:11 pm by Hannibal »
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 01:05:05 am »
I love grapes with seeds. It's so fun to collect a bunch in my cheeks and spit them out. It seems a lot of times though I accidentally buy the seedless kind and I get disappointed.
Dates are also fun because I like carrying the pits around in my mouth for a little while, rolling them around a bit before I spit them out. I like the texture on my gums and cheeks.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 03:53:56 am »
Dates are also fun because I like carrying the pits around in my mouth for a little while, rolling them around a bit before I spit them out. I like the texture on my gums and cheeks.

I LOVE DATE PITS XD I will also chew them and play with them in my mouth, I love how they are covered with these stringy things and this kinda velvety skin, fun.

Have you tried the little wine grapes, they are tiny round black grapes and the flesh is kinda neon green with huge seeds in it. They are tarty and sour yet sweet - very nice.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 06:15:33 am »
a lot of dates.

Sounds like a good source for high amounts of raw carbs.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 07:19:31 am »
Because they are sooo high in sugar, they will cause a lot of inflammation if you over eat them. The key with dates is moderation. Eat a very small handfull at once no more than that. And eat them slowly.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 08:29:30 am »
    Isn't it AV's favorite fruit?  I don't mean for recommending, but for himself.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk