Author Topic: Strange reaction from raw liver?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
Strange reaction from raw liver?
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:35:33 am »
I finally received my first shipment from UsWellness today! I got some heart, liver, and loads of ground beef. I know, I'll get some good fats next time..

But, to the point..

I opened the package of liver and cut out maybe around a 4th of the whole thing (the package is a pound).

I was surprised, it was sweet and delicious.. and then I felt like my body was just hit with some kind of drug after just a few minutes.

I felt a bit nauseous, but not like usual. Vision was getting blurry, felt like I was going to pass out and my ears and certain parts of my body felt like a hot rush was passing through them. It felt like a rush of blood going to my head mainly. I did my caveman squat and got a grasp and felt fine and still do now after a half an hour.

Can this be from the Vitamin A? My father tried to convince me that raw liver has much more vitamin A than cooked liver.

I am glad, at least, that I listened to my body..

Has anyone else had such a reaction to liver or other organ meats?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:06:28 am by Caveman »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Vitamin A Toxicity from Liver?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:21 am »
No, never. The above notion re vitamin A and liver sounds highly dubious to me. The only mention is an urban legend about the possibility of suffering health-problems if one eats raw livers from arctic mammals like sea-lions or polar-bears. Stefansson mentioned something about this, and stated that people eating those specific livers would get various side-effects(non-fatal, though, or too seriously harmful). But normal raw livers are fine. In my own case, during those occasions in the past when I overdid raw liver consumption, all that happened to me was that the raw liver passed through my body largely unabsorbed, and rather too quickly for my liking, nothing more.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Strange reaction from raw liver?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:08:57 am »
@ TD ... How much do you recommend eating in a day/ sitting?
I just got my hands on a whole one and have never eaten liver as a meal before.
Should one mix or eat alone?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »
shipment from UsWellness today! I got some heart, liver, and loads of ground beef. I know, I'll get some good fats next ...

Has anyone else had such a reaction to liver or other organ meats?

Was it frozen?  I swelled from eating frozen cow thymus.  I also swelled from eating non frozen bison testicle (about a quarter of the teste).  I've projectile vomited after bison tongue, also after adrenal.

Personally I find it hard to tolerate beef, ground beef moreso, and beef liver the worst.  That being said I did buy beef liver today as it was the only liver that looked fresh.  I have a very old cat who will starve herself if I don't eat with her, and she won't eat a meal of anything but liver, and she won't touch food if it isn't very fresh.

I did try fermenting frozen beef liver.  It improved it for me.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
@ TD ... How much do you recommend eating in a day/ sitting?
I just got my hands on a whole one and have never eaten liver as a meal before.
Should one mix or eat alone?
If you have a seriously wrecked digestive system, it would be best to eat the raw liver on its own. As for amounts per day/sitting, that all depends on the individual. A number of people are like me and seem to do best with 1 or 2 raw lamb's livers every couple of weeks or every couple of months, while other RVAFers I know go in for large raw-liver-feasts in which they eat something like 10-15 percent of their diet in the form of raw liver. One really needs to experiment a lot with RVAF diets to see what works best for one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:20:46 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:17:08 pm »
10-15%  :o
Thanks! I will have to do some experimenting.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:28:44 pm »
I've been eating about 3/4 kg of beef liver per day since saturday with raw fat and i've got about another 2 to 3 kg in the fridge which i intend eating before the weekend. This is because I have nothing else to eat. So far i havn't noticed any side effects.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk