Author Topic: sweet potato raw tastes good  (Read 11287 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
sweet potato raw tastes good
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »
i tried it today, it tastes sweet, crunchy, and juicy. tasty!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: sweet potato raw tastes good
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:22:15 pm »
I liked the taste and texture after I soaked it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »
i tried it today, it tastes sweet, crunchy, and juicy. tasty!
Never would have none if it wasn't for raw paleo.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:48 pm »
I ate a sweet potato today for the first time, it was nice. I searched on the internet though and have seen on numerous occasions that raw sweet potatoes inhibit trypsin, which apparently is needed in the digestion of protein. So I'm not sure if frequent consumption is a good idea.
Has anyone here noticed that their digestion of meat is poorer after having eaten sweet potatoes earlier in the day?

The following is a quote from http://www.ehow.com/list_7488865_trypsin-plants.html :

"Sweet potatoes are a variation of the starch potato family which are grown under ground. They contain a large amount of trypsin inhibitors, which is why they must be cooked before consumption. It is possible for the consumption of a single raw sweet potato to damage and even cut off the pancreatic production of trypsin. However, once cooked, a sweet potato has a fair amount of beneficial nutrition properties".
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »
The following is a quote from http://www.ehow.com/list_7488865_trypsin-plants.html :

"Sweet potatoes are a variation of the starch potato family which are grown under ground. They contain a large amount of trypsin inhibitors, which is why they must be cooked before consumption. It is possible for the consumption of a single raw sweet potato to damage and even cut off the pancreatic production of trypsin. However, once cooked, a sweet potato has a fair amount of beneficial nutrition properties".

Bullshit. I've regularly eaten raw sweet potatoes since 1987 and never noticed any trouble, even if I eat raw meat in the same meal. There are different varieties of sweet potatoes, only the ones pink inside are good raw. Biochemistry and interactions between living things are ways more complex and subtle than simplistic assumptions derived from our extremely limited knowledge and understanding.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:14:49 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
Why is it that only the ones that are pink inside are good raw? The one I had was orange. I'm also curious whether or not it's good to eat the skin?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:52:15 pm »
One thing that I will miss dearly on my new diet is baked satsumaimo. It was my favorite type of sweet potato. I ate it with coconut oil and it was one of my favorite treats. It was not as "sugary" when cooked and had a nice chestnutty flavor. I don't think I would ever eat it raw since it's dry and extremely hard when uncooked.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:26:06 am »
Why is it that only the ones that are pink inside are good raw? The one I had was orange. I'm also curious whether or not it's good to eat the skin?

Yes, orange - pink. I said pink, but we can rather see it as orange. If you like the skin, you can eat it. Sometimes I eat it with the skin and sometimes not. The skin is not as sweet as the inside, but I find it edible.

I tasted the white (inside) ones but didn't like it at all. Anyway you can try it, they might be good to you!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:33:31 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:38 am »
saitsumaimo! japanese sweet potatoes ftw :)

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:22:59 am »
saitsumaimo! japanese sweet potatoes ftw :)

It's SOOO good, but it kills my blood sugar now.  :'(
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:06 am »
Lately these scientific studies do not mean as much to me anymore. When I ate the raw sweet potato, I ate it in a meal that also had some meat and other lettuce vegetables. I didn't notice any problems with digestion. On the contrary, I felt light the whole day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk