Author Topic: All the causes of crooked teeth...in ONE THREAD :)  (Read 12707 times)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
All the causes of crooked teeth...in ONE THREAD :)
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:35:21 am »
In this thread I hope to include ALL causes of crooked teeth.  So far we have

1. Vitamin K-2 deficiency.  K-2 helps widen the skull, jaw, and probably ribcage.  If the jaw isn't wide enough, the teeth don't have enough room.

2. Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency.  The bones won't form correctly without these.  Magnesium and phosphorus also play a very small role here.

3. Individual genetics.  You can inherit a small jaw and large teeth, resulting in a increased chance of crooked teeth.  You can also inherit a problem, larger or smaller, with processing/using Vitamin K, Vitamin D, etc..

4. Racial genetics.  The longer a particular population is on grains, cooked food, etc., the smaller their teeth/jaws get.  This takes thousands of years.  Some groups (notably the Australian Aborigines) have very large teeth/jaws, since they have been on cooked/modern food like grains for only a very short time. Other groups, like East Asians, have smaller teeth/jaws (and even lack wisdom teeth, in many cases) because they have been eating grains and cooked food for a very long time. You can see pictures of relative tooth sizes in Dr Price's book. The Aborigines have very large teeth, whereas individuals from other populations often had teeth less than half that size.

5. Jaw exercise.  If you're eating mush that doesn't require chewing during your growing-up years, then your jawbones will not be as large, dense, or well developed as someone who is constantly chewing on tough things.

I put those in rough order of importance, although remember that's only rough order.

Any thoughts?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: All the causes of crooked teeth...in ONE THREAD :)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:33:03 am »
Interesting, I had no idea that aborigines had bigger teeth. Not sure if they had less time exposed to cooking, though, compared to other populations. Grains are, of course, a different matter.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:52:35 am »
6.paradontosis. You can be born with the best set of pearly whites since Eddie Murphy but this will turn your mouth into a battlezone if left untreated. As an added bonus it is under suspicion for being trigger of heart attacks and a range of other serious illness.

7.mouth breathing.

8.Those ting kids are given to suck on. Cant remember what its called in english. a 'Sucker'?

Will ask the house expert when she awakenes.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:29:55 am »
'Sucker'?

Dummy in England, Pacifier in USA.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:57 am »
2. Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency.  The bones won't form correctly without these.  Magnesium and phosphorus also play a very small role here.

Why do you say that phosphorus plays a very small role? Teeth and bones contain large amounts of both calcium and phosphorus.

It's been a while since I read Weston Price's book, but if I recall correctly, he placed an equally important emphasis on both calcium and phosphorus.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:27:44 am »
Why do you say that phosphorus plays a very small role? Teeth and bones contain large amounts of both calcium and phosphorus.

It's been a while since I read Weston Price's book, but if I recall correctly, he placed an equally important emphasis on both calcium and phosphorus.

Not many people are deficient in phosphorus. 

Another one is lack-of-breastfeeding, although I'd say that, if the jaws are large enough, any temporary thing like bottlefeeding, pacifiers, or this cannot permanently misalign the teeth.  The teeth naturally migrate to their optimal places, as long as the jaw is large enough.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »
Dummy in England, Pacifier in USA.
Lol in America its a sucker, lollipop or dummy.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:36 pm »
update; I was informed that we had found some good things, but that it was a multi faceted problem, so the short answer is "all of the above". The issue is so complex that dentists have to take an extra 3 year education and they can only get access to it if they have worked as a practicing dentist for atleast 2 years.

I think what she is hinting at is that we can make all the lists we like, but we will get no closer to an explanation (science isnt really, except it is "a multi faceted problem"). Rather it is just a list of things that combined can turn into some real problems. but may not cause any problems at all.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
One theory is that we're designed to lose a couple of teeth so we simply have too many in our jaw.

Another idea that comes to my mind is the growth of the jaw due to lack of testosterone in modern people.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »
I find the big teeth/small jaw arguement pretty funny, what intelligent human could believe that concept?

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 09:15:28 pm »
Well I don't really buy it, but I suppose if you're coming from a perspective of looking at modern hunter gatherers eating cooked food and carbs and getting decay it could make sense.

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »
One theory is that we're designed to lose a couple of teeth so we simply have too many in our jaw.

Another idea that comes to my mind is the growth of the jaw due to lack of testosterone in modern people.

Yes, hormones. The imbalances in hormones being caused today in most humans could be attributed to almost any problem..

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:13 pm »
I find the big teeth/small jaw arguement pretty funny, what intelligent human could believe that concept?

Genetics do play a key role. The argument presented is not the best in the world, but the concept holds true. unless I misunderstand something?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:06 pm »

And he even emphasized phosphorus a bit more than calcium:

“The quantity of the mixture of butter oil and cod liver oil required is quite small, half a teaspoonful three times a day with meals is sufficient to control wide-spread tooth decay when used with a diet that is low in sugar and starches and high in foods providing the minerals, particularly phosphorus.” --Weston A. Price, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, p. 295

And regarding magnesium there is this from Dr. Michael Eades:

"Magnesium is just about our favorite supplement. In fact, if we just had one supplement to recommend, and no other, it would be magnesium." http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/magnesium-and-inflammation/
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk