Author Topic: Japanese QUake  (Read 31761 times)

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Japanese QUake
« on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:17 am »
The damage is horrendous...

Thank god my family and relatives are probably safe...

Times like these that reinforce my convictions to be a doctor and work for Doctors Without Borders. Can't wait to get to medical school!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Japanese QUake
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:35 am »
Well, I hear that the Japanese are well prepared for this sort of thing, having made sure that their skyscrapers were earthquake proof etc.

GS must be pretty blase about this sort of thing. I mean he gets tsunamis, hurricanes,flooding,  volcanoes etc. etc all the time in his native Phillipines.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:56:45 am »
The damage is horrendous...

Thank god my family and relatives are probably safe...

Times like these that reinforce my convictions to be a doctor and work for Doctors Without Borders. Can't wait to get to medical school!
Same here.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:13:02 am »
Well, I hear that the Japanese are well prepared for this sort of thing, having made sure that their skyscrapers were earthquake proof etc.

GS must be pretty blase about this sort of thing. I mean he gets tsunamis, hurricanes,flooding,  volcanoes etc. etc all the time in his native Phillipines.

Sure, such things happen about everyday in the Philippines:

Videos are a must see
What did you smoke, Tyler  ???  ???
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 03:47:09 am »
2012  -d

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:03 am »
one of their nuclear plants just popped. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1

I really hope they get that under control.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:54 am »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:44:46 am »
All my Japanese friends on facebook are talking about how thankful they are that they are safe and how frightening the experience was. The whole country seems to have a united and determined outlook- which is what tends to happen after people are hit by tragedy and disasters. It's in people's nature to galvanize and help.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:46:40 am »

GS must be pretty blase about this sort of thing. I mean he gets tsunamis, hurricanes,flooding,  volcanoes etc. etc all the time in his native Phillipines.

Not blase about it.
I left to drive to the beach at Laiya Batangas Friday afternoon.
I slept inland Friday at Candelaria with my professional healer friend Vander.

This Japan earthquake / tsunami is probably the totally worst thing that has ever happened in history.

Such things do not happen all the time in my country.

What's common is typhoons, volcanoes have early warnings (except for Pinatubo 1991).
I experienced the big 1990 earthquake. (no tsunami)

But those are all pittance damage to what this Japan earthquake / tsunami has done and still doing.

Japan will need to muster up its women to create new babies to replace the lives they lost in this tragedy.

(they are in absolute population decline since 2007).

Just you wait for the nuclear fall out, chernobyl type.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Quake
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:13:41 am »
The Nuclear stuff is worrying indeed..
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 08:12:37 am »
Japan will need to muster up its women to create new babies to replace the lives they lost in this tragedy.

no worries for japs.  they are already hugely overpopulated.  there is not a single unused square inch of space.  a thousand or so lost lives is really a drop in the ocean of 127+ million.  that's almost the population of russia, look at the map and compare.

for comparison US deaths from driving is 30,000+/year. 

they will rebuild and in a few years no one is going to talk about it just like no one brings up 2004 tsunami anymore which killed 230,000+.

as population grows events like these will affect more and more people.  it is what it is.

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:29:26 am »
^ i'd comment on how ridiculous your perspective is but i think u'd probably have to lose relatives or have your house washed away before you'd change it so i won't comment much further on it

wiki says 10,000 people unaccounted for so far besides the confirmed deaths and other countries having casualties and damage as well from the tsunamis...yikes

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 08:48:46 am »
you really don't get it.  think about it before you call someone's reply ridiculous.
you sound exactly like my brother-in-law, who is a doctor, but completely nutcase, he wants to save africa and feed all the hungry, and give every homeless a shelter, and make rich people pay for everyone else.  absolutely no sense of reality whatsoever.

even if the toll is higher than what i've said earlier it does not change my point.  and it has nothing to do with me being affected by it or not.  even if my house gets washed away the fact still remains the same - japanese population will not see a slightest dent.  why don't you ask a few scientists and see if they have the same consensus or not?

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:35:55 am »
rofl

to feel empathy for stabbing victims, i myself need not get stabbed

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Quake
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:36 am »
rofl

???... He is replying to GS about population, not individuals.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »
rofl

Empathizing with people you don't know is pathological.  I can empathize with friends, family and people I meet.  You are reacting emotionally to a mediated experience.  Television and internet media are not real, they are just representations, but useful for keeping oneself informed about the world.  Though your reaction is pathological, it is hardly abnormal.  The elicitation of such emotional responses are intended by the media, which is informational as well as entertainment (in this case, the form of entertainment is tragedy, a form of drama going back thousands of years)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »
Right, so I guess your thinking justifies/supports ys's perspective of brushing off mass casualty events as "drops in a bucket" and good for a country because of overcrowding.  How absurd. Feeling empathy for people you don't know ie. strangers is pathologically abnormal? Tell that to anyone in the medical profession or rescue profession and they will laugh at you. Seriously.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »
Right, so I guess your thinking justifies/supports ys's perspective of brushing off mass casualty events as "drops in a bucket" and good for a country because of overcrowding.  How absurd. Feeling empathy for people you don't know ie. strangers is pathologically abnormal? Tell that to anyone in the medical profession or rescue profession and they will laugh at you. Seriously.

Maybe you should read:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Empathy_vs_Sympathy

Here is from the above site:

Emotional differences between sympathy and empathy

Sympathy essentially implies a feeling of recognition of another's suffering while empathy is actually sharing another's suffering, if only briefly. Empathy is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes".

Empathy develops into an unspoken understanding and mutual decision making that is unquestioned, and forms the basis of tribal community. Sympathy may be positive or negative, in the sense that it attracts a perceived quality to a perceived self identity, or it gives love and assistance to the unfortunate and needy.

One feels empathy when one has "been there" and sympathy when one hasn't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can certainly sympathize with the surviving victims, which requires an act of the imagination.  But I agree with ys that it is insignificant in terms of casualties as a portion of the population and the deaths mean little in terms of the nation-state of Japan.  Even if 20,000 died, that is (20,000/127,000,000)*100%=0.015748031%.  Very small.  If a tribe of 100 lost one member that would be 1%.  They might mourn the loss of their member, who they actually knew (so it makes sense to empathize among the members), but life would go on much as usual.  

The most damage is not in terms of lives lost but in damage to building, infrastructure, and so on, at least if you are considering the effect of the quake on the economy and society (standard of living).  An enormous amount of capital was destroyed by the earthquake.

I am not concerned with the country, as the quake is likely to have little effect on the power of the state.  It will likely continue to oppress the people just as it had before the quake.  The danger to the population is in trying to use the quake as a justification for increasing the power of the state further.  The quake could very well be harmful to the people of the country if the state of Japan opportunistically decides to expand its powers in order to "protect" the people from such occurrences in the future.

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:12 pm »
nothing further to say to you. I just don't agree with any of your thinking.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »
http://twitpic.com/492zbg

Shinmoedake volcano erupts!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinmoedake

Earthquake
Tsunami
Nuclear Melt Down
Volcanic Eruption

More doom... add more doom...
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
It was on the internet two weeks ago that March 11 is a day that something will happen in this earth. The moon also looks very weired and more disasters!!  :'(
bugs or country chickens

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:52 am »
nothing further to say to you. I just don't agree with any of your thinking.

Strange, since everything I have said is merely factual.  The idea of not agreeing with reality is quite strange to me.

That's like me saying: "Water expands when it freezes," and you replying: "I just don't agree."

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 04:40:15 am »
http://twitpic.com/492zbg
Shinmoedake volcano erupts!
Earthquake
Tsunami
Nuclear Melt Down
Volcanic Eruption
More doom... add more doom...

This whole thing makes my respect for the Japanese people grow to near awe. It speaks to their enginuity that it hasnt gone worse and that they have kept everything so well together in the face of all this. In interviews they are still fairly positive about the whole ordeal. "yeah its pretty shit atm, but it could be worse tho.......atleast its not raining!" <3

Throw a couple of nukes at them and they build a behemoth economy on nuclear power. How is that for a "yeah, well right back at you buddy!". Come hell or high water and it doesnt stand a chance against Japan. fact.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 05:10:24 am »
This whole thing makes my respect for the Japanese people grow to near awe. It speaks to their enginuity that it hasnt gone worse and that they have kept everything so well together in the face of all this. In interviews they are still fairly positive about the whole ordeal. "yeah its pretty shit atm, but it could be worse tho.......atleast its not raining!" <3

Throw a couple of nukes at them and they build a behemoth economy on nuclear power. How is that for a "yeah, well right back at you buddy!". Come hell or high water and it doesnt stand a chance against Japan. fact.

Their culture definitely drives them towards a kind of excellence that I do admire, from a certain perspective.  And the appreciation for quality is higher among Japanese people, as well as the Chinese.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:39 pm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk