Author Topic: Non-organic but grass fed ground lamb - should I get some?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Non-organic but grass fed ground lamb - should I get some?
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:19:09 am »
It's at a cheap price and I want to try it, but they said the grass that the sheep are fed is not "organically" grown. Should I buy it or not? I'm not sure if this will make it bad for me to eat.

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Non-organic but grass fed ground lamb - should I get some?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:39:21 am »
It's at a cheap price and I want to try it, but they said the grass that the sheep are fed is not "organically" grown. Should I buy it or not? I'm not sure if this will make it bad for me to eat.

1. I also have the same question.

2. Moreover, sorry for my little knowledge, but what is the difference between Lamb meat and fully grown SheeP?

3. I went to nearby city in search of pastured meat, and that is what I get. The person there told me that Lambs are given grains in last few months, while Sheep graze the grass almost whole year (they are not given grains any more while no chance of their growing bigger that they already are). Therefore he suggested me to buy the Sheep meat.

4. Another problem is I could only buy Half sheep (15 kg approx.).  Therefore I have to keep 5-7 kg fresh, while other 7 kg I am planning to freeze. But really is freezing the meat good idea`?  How does it changes the health benefits and taste?

5. Is sheep meat enough (with out organs), or I have to eat suet and organs extra?

6. Can we freeze the suet too?

7. Is consuming grain fed animal's suet dangerous to health?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:32:47 am »
Yes. Organic means nothing. Grassfed > organic.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:23 am »
NOT organic can mean many things. Non-organically grown pasture grass suggests the use of synthetic fertilizers, and perhaps the use of pesticides and/or herbicides.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:02:55 am »
And shitload of hormones too :)

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:08:06 am »
Your best bet would be to find out what inputs the animals are given.

Ask if they are given any drugs or hormones.
Ask if they are given any vitamin supplementation and if so in what form, some mineral blocks have chemical additives, others are just the minerals or kelp as they come from their sources, no tampering.
Are any chemicals used on their forage? Any pesticides, herbicides, fungicides?
If they are unfortunately fed grains, are those grains grown with pesticides? Are they GMO? Are they treated with any chemicals for preservation?

I know it's kind of annoying to do this with every new producer, but you can't imagine the creative ways they dream up to get chemicals and bullshit in to our food supply!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk