Author Topic: Paleo breakfast ideas?  (Read 13118 times)

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Paleo breakfast ideas?
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »
It has been a half of a year since I joined this board and started a transition stage to raw paleo diet. I am doing more or less ok - still have a lot of bad habits like too much alcohol, sweetened beverages like coffee and tea, but I am happy to report that I do not have that much cravings for sweets. In the past when I was raw vegan I eat huuuge amounts of sweets. Suprprisingly too I lost interest in fruit - they are neither nutritious for me nor appetizing in taste.

The problem is that this diet for me now lacks variety. It is ok for me with main meal (dinner or lunch) when it usually is a raw beef or raw salmon or steamed chicken breast (with veggie salad). But when it comes to evening meal or morning meal I have no ideas what to eat and therefore have tendency to eat unhealthy foods.

I do not know why but in the mornings I have no interest in meat or anything heavy. But I crave sweet things a lot. In the evenings - it is ok - I can eat whetever I feel like but i am not really interested that much in raw meat after I ate it for a dinner.

What do you guys eat as this smaller meals in the mornings and evenings?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Paleo breakfast ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:21 pm »
There is way more variety in raw animal foods than just raw, grassfed beef or lamb or raw chicken eggs. There's raw oysters/swordfish/scallops/mackerel/squid/octopus etc. plus raw wild game like raw mallard duck/wild boar/wild venison etc., plus raw goose/duck/pheasant/quail eggs or raw cod roe or raw goatmeat etc., then there are the multitude of different raw organ-meats like raw liver/kidney/heart/tongue/brains/lung etc. etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »
    Suck some raw eggs.  Pork belly.  Herrings.  Fruit?  There are so many kinds.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:28:44 pm »
liver ground red meat onions butter berries and citrus
or yogurt chicken yolks and berries
greens and herbs with both
broths with herbs and twigs and roots and berries and citrus
if you are willing to accept minerals from plants zucchini and cucumbers are delicious in broths, zukes should be cooked, cukes not so much, specially varieties that are more melons like such as armenian cukes(amazing veg/melon)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:16:46 am »
for breakfast, I eat eggs or meat, and a piece of fruit. Something to drink

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:25:03 am »
No breakfast for me! In principle, nothing before 11 am except water or sometimes cassia fistula. Then, most of the times I eat fruits at lunch time.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:43:09 am »
purgative for breakfast eh? are there any other medicinal benefits you use the cassia for?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:37:22 pm »
No breakfast for me! In principle, nothing before 11 am except water or sometimes cassia fistula. Then, most of the times I eat fruits at lunch time.
I usually do a similiar sort of thing. I leave my raw meat meals until the evening, mostly, except at weekends - and I eat nothing at breakfast as I feel bodged if I do.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »
My regular breakfast these days are, - short after waking up -
1 pound of elkmeat, ground and made to burgers, dried on low heat over night in the dehydrator.
Because elkmeat has almost no fat (2-3%) I eat them with extra virgin, raw coconutoil on the top. About 1 tablespoon.

So delicious! :) And makes you feel sated for.. many hours. Usually I get a little hungry about 6-8 hours later.

Then, sometimes I eat wild berries for dessert.
 Sometimes plain, sometimes mixed with a little coconutbutter. 

Lambs-heart eaten plain are also very god, gives so great energy! Here are (was my dinner, but wonderful breakfast too) lambs-heart and lambs-liver with fresh dandelions picked from garden.

If you want something really delicious, refreshing and full of nutrients, but easy to eat you could try this:
(I eat it sometimes as dessert in the evening)

4 very well whipped (I use electric mixer) eggyolks
Wild, raw honey about 1 tablespoon
Wild berries, about 1 cup
Mix the honey with the berries, crush them a little. Eat with the eggyolk foam.

Another variable, dried elkmeat pieces, eaten with coconut oil and organic minicucumber. This is great for lunch at school / work, cause easy to carry with you.

Inger

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »
I just love the tidy, aesthetic way you organise your foods in those photos, Inger! It makes a raw-meat-based diet seem so wholesome and natural! By contrast, my plates usually resemble the cast-off remains from a slaughterhouse even before I start eating!
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »
purgative for breakfast eh? are there any other medicinal benefits you use the cassia for?

I don't use it for some (whatever, supposed or real) medicinal benefits, but just because I feel like eating a bit of it - only as long as it tastes good at the moment.

Sometimes I suck a few disks at night if I can't fall asleep. It makes me sleep quickly.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 05:55:46 pm »
I just love the tidy, aesthetic way you organise your foods in those photos, Inger! It makes a raw-meat-based diet seem so wholesome and natural! By contrast, my plates usually resemble the cast-off remains from a slaughterhouse even before I start eating!

Might be, because I am a woman and you are a man. ;)

Inger

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
Might be, because I am a woman and you are a man. ;)

Inger
  Well I was going to add the adjective "feminine" to my earlier description until I remembered that I know of several chaotic female relatives who always leave their rooms/kitchens/plates etc. in an appalling mess.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »
Quote from: TylerDurden on Today at 04:07:41 pm

Might be, because I am a woman and you are a man.

Inger

hrm i am not sure i agree that it is totally dependent on gender:)

beef liver and ground roast, butter and baked squash i grew myself
spoon is for asthetic purposes only as i tend to eat with my fingers:)
i guess i clean the bowl with my fingers too

inger....elk is amazing, its my meat of choice when available...i am surprised you eat it with coconut oil though, its interesting how different people can tolerate different fats, do you ever eat butter or marrow?  i am also a fan of cucumbers, have you had armenian cukes? they are a bit more tender and juicy, try them if you ever have the chance :) i will be making whipped egg yolks today as i have eggs that didnt seem tempting just raw and i wasnt sure how to prepare, thanks!

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:46:27 pm »
Jessica, what is THAT?!  ;) To be honest - my food looks like that sometimes too.. ha.

Today I had clams, first time raw. Delicious! At the right side of my plate some wild greens and berries I found outside.
Might be a bit too time-consuming for breakfast though.. l) Hard to eat those bastards! After a few they started to close themself so hard I barely was able to open them! They do not want to be eaten I think. -X

LOVES

I squeezed a little organic lime on them, but they were as nice without, too!

Inger

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:58:25 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:06:32 am »
Whenever I eat fresh clams they do seem to bite back hard...

what kind of berries are those?

these look like they could be mussels, no?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 01:47:42 am »
Yes, those are mussels, not clams. Mussels are much easier to open than clams: pull out the kind of string which used to attach them to the rock, then press a rounded knife in the little valley and cut 'em open. 

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 02:24:26 am »
Oh yes, sorry - my mistake. Of course they are mussels. Thank you for the tip on how to open them, Iguana!  :)

KD the berries are aronia-berries, they grow here a lot in parks and such. I think they are planted though.
They taste great, but I can only eat a small handful, then they start to "stick" to my throat.

Inger
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:59:24 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 06:56:48 pm »
Inger,

I am also whole heartedly impressed with the presentation of your meals. On another note, I see you eating raw mussels there. Early on in my adventures into raw palaeo I got a nice bout of food poisoning from mussels: unable to move from bed except to vomit for two to three days. Since I have not been anywhere near bivalve crustaceans. I wonder what other people's feeling or experiences are in regards to them - considering they are grown or farmed offshore, where here in the UK chances are there's a sewage outlet not too far away.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »
    Opening mussels cut my hands up pretty good.  The first time I ate a pound of live clams, I threw up what seemed to just be clean water a day afterward, no discomfort.  Live scallops and oysters are purported to detox a body faster than any other meat, and thrive better and better in filthy waters, but there are limits to certain toxins for them, beware.  Live clams have done me really well, and live cockles are sweet tasting.  Healthy eating-wise, bivalves are great, unless you really dislike salty flavor.  I do, so I add lemon to cut the flavor sometimes.  I find the smell of "dry" scallops more tolerable after fermenting them making them high-meat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »
You have to be very careful that the mussels are alive when eaten! They start to get poisonous shortly after they die. Just take care that they are closed, when open, then you just knock on them and if they don't close soon, they are dead. Throw away. Never eat a dead mussel. A mussel alive open and close itself.
I controlled every single mussel before I ate it, and no problem whatsoever. :)

Farmed mussels are very good - as very natural. They do not get fed or anything, farmers just put up some wooden poles or strings or such into the sea to which the mussels attach themselves. Nothing else is done, they are free in  the water, no food or anything added. Very easy and good for the environment!  :)  So do not be afraid of farmed mussels.

I really felt great after eating them so that is for me a sign that they are totally a superfood. ;)

Inger

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »
I took a pic from my breakfast today. Elkburgers and one large teaspoon of virgin coconut oil.
I broke one in two so you can see inside.

I use the coconut oil for fat because at times I have difficulties to find other sources of good fat. They have only marrow from grainfed cows here, I do not get it down anymore.. -[ I tried, believe me.
I will order grassfed fat from Germany, soon, when it goes colder. I could buy it from here too but it is a long way to travel and I have no car. Hubby has a lot of work so has no time to drive me there right now. I do miss it. I get fatty wildcaught fish regularly though, and that feels great!

Inger

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:55:34 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »
You have to be very careful that the mussels are alive when eaten!

They stink when they are dead and get toxic for you, you can't miss it unless you close your nose (or cover their own smell with lemon)!  But even then, without lemon juice, their taste would tell and you would spit it ;) It's the same for all shellfish.

Strangely, some people like dead shellfish and it doesn’t seem to be toxic for them.  l)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 10:57:00 pm »
I far prefer shellfish to be alive, but I don't mind dead shellfish.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 11:04:39 pm »
I always use a metal walnut-cracker to break the mussel's main hinge and it splinters the shell into smaller parts too. The walnut-cracker does wear out and eventually breaks, of course. Ages ago, I did try the old method of using a sharp oyster-knife in the back of the mussels, but the trouble is one has to be very  dexterous, otherwise one shoves the knife into the opposing hand by mistake every so often.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:06:27 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk