Author Topic: too much honey  (Read 11366 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
too much honey
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »
Lately I've been eating up to a half pound of raw honey per day. I feel as though it is doing some pretty good healing so i just take a lot. I was just wondering if that's too much honey or not. I dont feel any negative symptoms from it like when i eat too much fruit but it still seems like it might be too much.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:46:12 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: too much honey
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:49:23 pm »
Hmm, half a pound is 8 ounces. I used to eat that amount daily at certain points in my diet. I reduced the amount because I didn't feel so good on that much sugar. I wouldn't say it's bad,  but raw honey should be more of an occasional treat than a staple food. On the other hand, if you feel it's more effective re health than other foods, by all means stick to it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »
That sounds like an intense amount of honey. I take it you don't eat fruit on top of that? I imagine you're meaning some deficiency, but you'll eventually have to slow down or stop....
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:09:40 pm »
I do also eat fruit, sometimes with the honey. I've just been trying to limit the fruit since I've been getting some symptoms when I go overboard, but I never got anything bad from the honey so far and it does seem to be healing me. What does fruit intake have to do with it?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:33:31 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:21 pm »
What does fruit intake have to do with it?

carbs
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 05:26:08 am »
If it's not hurting your teeth, messing up your blood sugar, causing emotional instability/anxiety, or causing skin problems, you might be OK to eat that much.  I've eaten nearly that much daily at one or two points during the last 6 years of RVAF, but not for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:07:52 am »
imo your teeth will eventually suffer from that much honey. better cut back now than wait until they start hurting.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:58:34 am »
I've heard that the way raw honey is structured that it doesn't affect one the way normal sugars do since they are predigested by the bees. Have you heard of any cases of tooth problems from unheated honey or is it just your assumption because of the sugar?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:13:55 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 01:04:41 pm »
imo your teeth will eventually suffer from that much honey. better cut back now than wait until they start hurting.

I agree with this.  I've had tooth sensitivity get worse from eating raw honey. Moderation is a good thing.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:21:35 pm »
Here an article I found that says raw honey has other properties in it that protect your teeth.

http://mizar5.com/honeyoralhealth.html
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 01:23:57 am »
That's all well and good, but I'm speaking from experience.  Experience trumps chemistry here. :)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:38:12 am »
Are you sure your honey was completely raw? Most raw honeys arent really raw unless it says unheated or never heated.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 03:20:21 am »
I found that raw Pacifica chunky honey, certified as unheated by Aajonus, gave me mild nausea, like with most other raw honeys, whereas fermented raw honey doesn't give me any nausea no matter how much I eat of it (and I've tried eating one and a half pounds of it at one sitting). I also noticed that all nonfermented raw honeys give me more dental crud than fermented honey and some of my teeth loosen and some even become sore if I eat too much nonfermented raw honey. For me the fermentation aspect seems to be even more important than the rawness. YMMV.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 09:01:22 am »
Lately I've been eating up to a half pound of raw honey per day.

Such amounts of super dense sugar would make my life really miserable..

Löwenherz

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 11:45:26 am »
Here an article I found that says raw honey has other properties in it that protect your teeth.

http://mizar5.com/honeyoralhealth.html

I read that article, and I a familiar with other material about dental care on mizar5.com. I didn't read that mizar5 is recommending raw honey consumption to protect teeth. Two conclusions I found were that
(1) when honey is selected for antibacterial properties, antibacterial action can be seen in dental applications;
(2) when honey is selected for antibacterial properties and not subjected to heating in the candy-making process, the resultant candy is less damaging to teeth than candy made with sugar.

Another thing to consider in honey is pollen content. Some conscientious beekeepers insist that filtered honey, even if raw, is NOT honey simply because the pollen is absent.

My conclusion: know your apiarist!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk