Author Topic: Mackerel sushi  (Read 9863 times)

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
Mackerel sushi
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:45:03 am »
This was my dinner tonight.
Mackerel, fresh, rolled into nori-sheets. It was really Delicious. I had fresh thyme too and little onion.
You can use tamari if you like. I did eat a lot more as in the picture though.. ;)

Very easy, very delish.

Inger

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Mackerel sushi
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:12:28 am »
Thanks for the contribution. Few people take the time to do this sort of thing.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:29:17 am »
This was my dinner tonight.
Mackerel, fresh, rolled into nori-sheets. It was really Delicious. I had fresh thyme too and little onion.
You can use tamari if you like. I did eat a lot more as in the picture though.. ;)

Very easy, very delish.

Inger

It is looking gorgeous.

I really want to copy this dish, but dear Inger, I am afraid I have absolutely no chance of making such dish.  :(

At least for me (who has never seen such cooking style before except for the Eastern Cooking Style) the only way to follow this dish is through Video.

Do you fillet the Mackerel  (and de-skin) it yourself?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:24 am »
Nicely done Inger!

Thanks for the contribution. Few people take the time to do this sort of thing.
In large measure, in my case, i'ts because I don't have the fancy dishes or good quality camera to enable this sort of thing, in addition to not being particularly interested in doing it. ;D I'm more interested in the benefits that foods provide me, and their tastes, and in enjoying other activities (a la Lex Rooker), than I am in the presentation of my foods, but I do see how it's nice from your perspective that Inger does have the equipment and the interest to do this, so as to present raw Paleo in a positive light and attract newbies who might consider it.

None of my guests are into raw, and since going raw I've forgotten much of what little cooking ability I had, so I can't prepare foods for them anyway, the nice side of effect of which is that it saves me from having to worry about presentation. :D
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »
That looks very lovely and yummy.

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
Video how to make mackerel-sashimi
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »
Thank you for your nice comments,
this is totally easy and take almost no time at all. ;D

Zaidi,
I did this video today because I had some mackerels (happy girl I am ;)), but in German..
(a German lady wanted me to make one for her that is why)
I hope you can still get some idea out of it how I make it?
I fillet it and skin it all myself, you see it in the video. It is totally easy. :)

Makrelen-sashimi

If you like you can add whatever on the mackerel / nori-sheet before you roll it; carrots, avocado, cucumber.. onion, herbs.. whatever! Just slice into long sticks and place it beside the mackerel-slices and roll all together.

If there is somenthing unclear what I do just ask I will explain.

Inger

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
and what I did to the fish heads..
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:08 am »
and what I did with the mackerel-heads.. O0

I pureed the whole heads. It tasted real bad I almost puked but I ate them all. I closed my nose with my fingertips after the first bit though..
I guess it was really healthy, no way I could ever throw such treasure away.. so I will always puree and eat the heads I figure.
I felt real good afterwards! ;D

Inger

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:33 am »
I've always maintained that we rawpalaeodieters are at a disadvantage. After all, scientific studies show us that babies in the womb artificially develop a taste for foods that their mothers ate, no matter how unhealthy these foods were. Then there are the first few years of infancy. Yet peoples who ate raw foods regularly, like the Inuit, had no problem with eating raw, aged, fish heads etc. While I may have issues right now with raw, aged, fish-heads/organs, even after c. 10-11 years of eating rawpalaeo, I am sure I would have been fine re taste of all raw animal foods if my parents and I had been eating rawpalaeo from birth.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:03:46 am »
Inger that is sooo awesome that you're using the whole animal from nose to tail! A wonderful example for all of us!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:03 am »
Inger that is sooo awesome that you're using the whole animal from nose to tail! A wonderful example for all of us!

Indeed.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:24 am »
Here's a Native American way to clean fish in 10 seconds (when doing it quickly):

HOW TO CLEAN A PERCH IN 10 SECONDS!!!!! INCREDIBLE VIDEO!!!!
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:16:24 am »
haha for some reason i am suprised the fish heads tasted like barf to you inger!  i was assuming you would let them go high and then feast away  :P

fish video is impressive, i love chewin on fish skin tho, seems like the layer of fat tends to stick to it..

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »
Thank you for your nice comments,
this is totally easy and take almost no time at all. ;D

Zaidi,
I did this video today because I had some mackerels (happy girl I am ;)), but in German..
(a German lady wanted me to make one for her that is why)
I hope you can still get some idea out of it how I make it?
I fillet it and skin it all myself, you see it in the video. It is totally easy. :)

Makrelen-sashimi

Inger

..... and happy man I am  ;D

Yesterday I succeeded in getting the fresh mackerel (although I was trying since I saw this Video, but didn't get it).

Also for the first time in my life, I went to an Asian (Thailand) market and explored the products (although I only wanted to buy Noori). Also bought Thai peppers for Kimchi. It was really interesting trip to Thai shop and I was amazed to see the big numbers of variety of products there. I felt I was in some another world.

Now coming to  preparation of mackerel sushi. Before appearance of Video, I never thought I could ever be making this recipe. But after Video, I succeeded EASILY. What a surprise for me.

And it was really tasty.

.....  From searching of fresh mackerel .... visit to Thai shop ... Preparation .... Eating .... I enjoyed all the steps.  Many many THANKs to my Paleo sister. 

(in my culture, a person who is guiding you automatically becomes Brother or Sister as mark of respect).

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:09 pm »
Here's a Native American way to clean fish in 10 seconds (when doing it quickly):

HOW TO CLEAN A PERCH IN 10 SECONDS!!!!! INCREDIBLE VIDEO!!!!

Cool.

Do you also have the Videos of Inuits of how they eat different types of fishes raw? I saw only one short clip where they were de-skinning the fish with their teeth directly. It was a short clip and of bad quality. I was unable to figure out which fish that was.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:31 am »
At some point in Nanook of the North, the family eats raw frozen fish, pulling the skin off with their teeth, IIRC.
Nanook Of The North, Robert Flaherty 1921 part 1/8

Anore Jones: The Fish That We Eat (there's a pdf link of the book at this site):
http://www.westonaprice.org/thumbs-up-reviews/fish-that-we-eat

Man Vs. Wild Eat raw fish

Man vs. Wild: Bear Grylls Eats a Fish

Arctic Fishing - Ray Mears World of Survival - BBC

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 08:03:28 pm »
Thanks Phil. Interesting Videos.
Also love to see the videos how our Mods & Senior Members here eat different kind of fishes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk