Author Topic: I keep losing weight!  (Read 64631 times)

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
Re: I keep losing weight!
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2012, 02:20:06 am »
Another thing that contributed was consuming unfermented milk, miked with honey and closer to body temperature.

Contributed to gaining weight for you? Or contributed to the prior unhealthy weightloss? I assume it was to gain, as body temperature milk is agreed on by any person I know who is into natural health with milk a part of it to them. Also, raw milk has put weight on me. Other raw foods do not.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:24 am »
Like I said, if the person does not believe that he is discriminating, then he isn't discriminating. As regards the "nigger" word, first of all, all it means is "black" so isn't genuinely derogatory in the way that "moron", "freak" "malco" all are. Secondly, it's all relative, as if you used the word "nigger"  in Brazil, for example, a black man would be happy with that whereas if you called him "black" he would feel insulted, and the use of that term in the 19th century was routine among many authors without any racist connotation. Then there's the word "negro" which is still happily used by the older generation of blacks in the US but is now frowned upon by the younger generation, yet the word "nigger" is often used in rap lyrics among the young.

What it all boils down to is that almost anything will be perceived as insulting  or derogatory by someone somewhere in the world, due to a misunderstanding or a clash of  different cultures etc.. Therefore, any kind of political correctness  re forcing the use of specific words ultimately destroys any freedom of expression and ruins peoples' lives, introducing an Orwellian nightmare. A case in point being the UK nowadays.

Again - it's all about how SUREN interpreted what was said. Do we choose to respect her for her interpretation or insist that she is interpreting incorrectly and then further use words that could easily be interpreted negatively in response?  Why not just respect her boundaries, interpretations and requests?

And yes Al, like so many threads, this indeed has gone off topic. At this point I'm pretty sure that Suiren has gotten my intention of sending her a shout out in support of standing up for how she wanted to be addressed, so I am quite happy to drop it.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:46 am »

Another thing that contributed was consuming unfermented milk, miked with honey and closer to body temperature.

I've been hearing about ingesting dairy products at room temperature as being much more digestible. I gain weight with cold dairy - makes me wonder if my problems with dairy haven't been due to the fact that I always had them cold?

Do other people that have had problems with dairy also have it cold or do you also have trouble with room temperature dairy?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:58 am »
I've been hearing about ingesting dairy products at room temperature as being much more digestible. I gain weight with cold dairy - makes me wonder if my problems with dairy haven't been due to the fact that I always had them cold?

Do other people that have had problems with dairy also have it cold or do you also have trouble with room temperature dairy?
Dairy is difficult to digest and if it is consumed cold it approaches impossible. It should be body temperature as that was the way it was designed to be consumed but at least it should be room temperature. Sometimes I add hot water to it to warm it up.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:38 am »
Hmm, D,  I see that you're  not  a  fan of the 1st Amendment.

As regards dairy, I had problems with it cold or at room-temperature. Well,  your claim is the same as Aajonus'. Maybe his advice in this regard does indeed work for some people.   :o ???
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2012, 02:17:44 am »

As regards dairy, I had problems with it cold or at room-temperature. Well,  your claim is the same as Aajonus'. Maybe his advice in this regard does indeed work for some people.   :o ???
Well AV claims everyone can consume it. I do not claim that. I say that you will increase the odds of digesting it by ensuring you don't consume it cold. Some will not be able to consume it regardless of the temp.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:49 am »

Actually Tyler I'm a BIG fan of the first amendment - that's why I was giving Suiren support for speaking her mind. ;) Just because someone CAN write or say anything - doesn't always mean that others will not respond negatively to it. When in a community of people sharing ideas, looking for support and friendship - I'm not in favor at all of censorship - but I am suggesting that perhaps when someone says that they don't want to be addressed in a certain way, when certain words offend them, that once that is understood people might CHOOSE to hold back addressing them that way or similar ways in order not to make the other person feel uncomfortable unnecessarily. I spoke in hopes that Suiren and perhaps other young women might feel more comfortable. I had the honor of (in a sense) meeting Suiren before she came to the forum and I wanted to do what was in my power, use my own words as much as possible, to let her know that she was and is not alone in her perceptions. That in a sense is my acting on my own 1st amendment rights. ;)  I just wonder why anyone (in a forum such as this) would want to make others uncomfortable or escalate language that could easily be interpreted negatively towards an individual or group that is within our group. We're such a small community to begin with. It is likely that everyone will eventually use words or say something that is offensive to someone on a free forum and in a free society. It's the reactions that give us a chance to either escalate or to capitulate that are the most important imho. How is someone going to even know in the first place if what they are saying is considered by the other person to be offensive unless that person tells them? That's why I was giving Suiren a "brava" for speaking out. I've watched countless women in my lifetime cringe without saying anything. I used to do it all the time myself. I don't any more, but it takes more discomfort, time and effort to react instead of just letting it slide. This being a good example of how much effort can be involved. ;D 

On the dairy Tyler - I make no "claim" at all! I was just reporting what I've heard others saying lately and was interested in hearing  experiences in case it might perhaps make sense one day to try room temp dairy again one day - but that wouldn't be for some time as the negative results of dairy took so long to show up for me that I'm not willing to take that risk yet. So, Tyler, you are saying that room temp or not - still dairy is a no-go for you. Thanks for that info.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2012, 07:50:09 pm »
I am surprised to see this thread alive ( and off topic) again.

Thank you Dorothy for understanding, I know what you mean, and while some may argue about which words are harmless, and which are not, I was just personally disliking the combination of "hot", paired with saying that women then to obsess about their weight.
But I let it go. I did not want a lengthy argument over it, I just said what i felt and it kept going because users disagreed with how I felt about it.

Back on topic:
I have not experienced any weight gain, despite counting calories and eating up to 3700 cals a day. So I gave up, I eat small amounts of food when I am hungry and I have lost more weight. I don't really know what to do, but I am tired of stressing about it.
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2012, 02:08:14 am »
Hi Suiren, could your body want to lose weight at the moment, and if you just keep eating RP when you are hungry at some time in the future your body may decide to gain weight again?

If you have the health and energy to carry out your daily activities does it matter how much you weigh?

...My appetite is not great, but that is just because I don't like what I eat. Its like "Damn it I have to eat to stay alive..." -\...
Do you like what you eat now that you are waiting to feel hungry before eating?

...I try to avoid dairy mostly because I used to have a lot of hormonal issues (Pituitary Tumor + raised Prolactin, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) and also because of breastfeeding. I want to give my hormones the chance to be just on their own ;)...
Has your doctor recommended drug treatment to compensate for these hormone imbalances?

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2012, 07:28:50 am »
Hi Suiren, could your body want to lose weight at the moment, and if you just keep eating RP when you are hungry at some time in the future your body may decide to gain weight again?

If you have the health and energy to carry out your daily activities does it matter how much you weigh?
Do you like what you eat now that you are waiting to feel hungry before eating?
Has your doctor recommended drug treatment to compensate for these hormone imbalances?
I have less energy and strength than I do with more weight, but seeing bones is also not good on the eyes.
My family is really starting to worry about me. I haven't told them the full truth about my diet. I told them I need to avoid certain foods.

I like eating my diet better when I am hungry of course, but I don't love what I eat. I love to eat Pasta, Bread, rice all the bad stuff. I don't like meat, veggies and fruits all that much.

I used to take medication for the Thyroid and the Pituitary Tumor when I had problems. I stopped the meds for the pituitary tumor in pregnancy though, so I could breastfeed. And a few months later the thyroid hormones, since they have always made me feel miserable. I was symptom free before meds, and miserable on meds, now I am normal again.
My doctor also said I don't really need them at the time, since I don't really have Hashimoto's anymore. Just anti bodies still, but less.

As far as the prolactin goes, it was high at 6 mos. postpartum and caused me so much hair loss, I started having bald areas, but then it just stopped, and now my prolactin is normal, which means no more tumor, or that it shrank to the point where it does not cause a rise in prolactin. Either way is good :)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2012, 10:43:39 am »
I have no experience with your situation, so please ignore this if it sounds too stupid!

Since forcing yourself to eat has not worked, have you considered fasting until until you really want to eat RPD foods?

It would seem extremely unusual for a relatively healthy animal to just stop eating until it dies, so it would make sense for your body to want to eat eventually!

Did you take the probiotics you mentioned earlier? I found some that say they are in an acid resistant capsule to get through the stomach intact, and then break down in the intestines.

Have you stopped breast feeding yet? This would seem to be a good idea - you could pre-chew food for your baby to give yourself a break (I used to chew up carrots for my kids when they were babies).

How are you getting on now with eating raw animal fat & offal?

Another option is for you to go back to eating foods that you prefer, possibly with a healthier twist.
What if you ate more nutritious cooked high-carb paleo-like foods - yams, pumpkin, kumara, potatoes, turnips, swedes, carrots etc - would that be a compromise that might work for you?

I suppose I don't love eating RAF and RVF compared to how I loved eating ice cream and cake, but its worth it to be healthy, alert and energetic by chomping on bits of fatty meat & offal!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:06:15 am by aliVe »

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2012, 02:40:07 am »
I have no experience with your situation, so please ignore this if it sounds too stupid!

Since forcing yourself to eat has not worked, have you considered fasting until until you really want to eat RPD foods?

It would seem extremely unusual for a relatively healthy animal to just stop eating until it dies, so it would make sense for your body to want to eat eventually!

Did you take the probiotics you mentioned earlier? I found some that say they are in an acid resistant capsule to get through the stomach intact, and then break down in the intestines.

Have you stopped breast feeding yet? This would seem to be a good idea - you could pre-chew food for your baby to give yourself a break (I used to chew up carrots for my kids when they were babies).

How are you getting on now with eating raw animal fat & offal?

Another option is for you to go back to eating foods that you prefer, possibly with a healthier twist.
What if you ate more nutritious cooked high-carb paleo-like foods - yams, pumpkin, kumara, potatoes, turnips, swedes, carrots etc - would that be a compromise that might work for you?

I suppose I don't love eating RAF and RVF compared to how I loved eating ice cream and cake, but its worth it to be healthy, alert and energetic by chomping on bits of fatty meat & offal!

Yes, it is definitely worth the health improvements! I am surprised how many problems of mine are already gone, after just a short time of eating better.

I eat a little one side sometimes, but buying a variety of fresh produce and meats would really cost a lot more and likely exceed our budget.
I do try to mix my boiled sweet potato with veggies for variety, add seasonings or even try to do a curry sauce with coconut milk, but often I don't have the time for that because of my son and I decide to just eat whatever goes fast, to save myself the hassle of trying to keep him from taking the place apart while preparing food.

I did not actually fast, because I tend to get really jittery or even dizzy and pass out (used to deal with hypoglycemia a lot), but I ate a very low amount of calories for a while, and just gradually started increasing, hoping my body will take the opportunity to gain now.
I was once told that often diets fail because the body is trying to store more fat, thinking it is a time of hunger, and when the dieter starts eating normally again you gain a whole lot at once...hoping for that ;)

My son does eat some solids now, not a whole lot but he snacks on things here and there. I will likely be breastfeeding until I am done having children, since I am doing child led weaning, just like in nature.
It does not drain me though, and it only burns 500 additional calories a day that is evened out by an increase in appetite. I had the same weight problems before breastfeeding, only in pregnancy I gained a little weight , and was happy with 51kg at 165cm. It is still thin, but okay for me. I kept on weight, even while breastfeeding every 1-2hrs then, when I was still eating sad foods. Since going all paleo I started dropping weight.
I could not re-introduce some foods even if I wanted to. I have bad reactions to pretty much all non Paleo foods now, aside from coffee, raw cheese and a few legumes, which I still don't consume.

Some raw animal products I have problems with. Often wild caught fish gives me a really sore, swollen throat, yet farm fish does not, cooked fish is better too.
I don't have a problem with raw meat, it does not taste great, and I don't love the fatty stuff, but I can get it down. I haven't gotten into aged meat yet though, and I season it a little.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2012, 04:46:54 am »
A piece of info Suiren you might be interested in if you don't already know - coffee can curtail the appetite. It can put a great deal of pressure on the adrenal function too which also can affect the appetite and is quite bad for hypoglycemics. Coffee makes the body to release adrenalin which then makes the body release sugar into the blood stream from the body's stores of fat - so for people with blood sugar problems coffee can keep those disease processes in place.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2012, 12:02:14 am »
A piece of info Suiren you might be interested in if you don't already know - coffee can curtail the appetite. It can put a great deal of pressure on the adrenal function too which also can affect the appetite and is quite bad for hypoglycemics. Coffee makes the body to release adrenalin which then makes the body release sugar into the blood stream from the body's stores of fat - so for people with blood sugar problems coffee can keep those disease processes in place.

I have it like once in a blue moon. Special occasions like birthdays and such. Just wanted to note I don't have any effects from it like stomach ache, nausea or acne. That is what I usually get.
I know these things listed above are not good,
I have bad reactions to pretty much all non Paleo foods now, aside from coffee, raw cheese and a few legumes, which I still don't consume.
and I don't eat them, just know my reaction to them.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2012, 02:54:41 am »

I know these things listed above are not good,and I don't eat them, just know my reaction to them.

Ah ok - figured that might be the case - but thought I'd throw in my little wrap about coffee and hypoglycemia anyway just in case - ya know - for the masses. :)

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2012, 04:09:38 am »
Some raw animal products I have problems with. Often wild caught fish gives me a really sore, swollen throat, yet farm fish does not, cooked fish is better too.
Farmed fish is virtually free of parasites, wild fish like salmon on the other hand will almost always have them (more than 50%). I'm just not sure if wild fish is always frozen specifically with the goal to kill the parasites; more likely not, unless it's meant for eating it raw (e.g. sushi or raw herring). Herring for example has to be frozen immediately by law, even though then it is typically kept in brine for a long time.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2012, 05:56:18 am »
That makes sense. Maybe in the future I can tolerate wild caught fish better. But for now the detoxes are too strong. I have to go slow with a baby to take care of.

Dorothy
Sure ;) I can only imagine what coffee does to people who drink multiple cups a day. My parents probably have 4-7 a day (small European cups ;)

My hypoglycemia has gotten so much better. You could almost say I am problem free, since I have not experienced any problems lately. :)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2012, 06:11:11 am »
Farmed fish is virtually free of parasites, wild fish like salmon on the other hand will almost always have them (more than 50%). I'm just not sure if wild fish is always frozen specifically with the goal to kill the parasites; more likely not, unless it's meant for eating it raw (e.g. sushi or raw herring). Herring for example has to be frozen immediately by law, even though then it is typically kept in brine for a long time.

I also have red that most wild salmon has parasites.

Is there any way to find out if they're frozen to kill them? I've heard regular freezers don't go cold enough to kill the parasites. Is that true?

Also can fish parasites live in us land animals?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2012, 10:21:49 pm »

Ocean-caught wild fish is very low in parasites.  Wild freshwater fish usually do have parasites, however.

Offline shahidsaif

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »
please use the raw. thanks.  -v

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »
please use the raw. thanks.  -v

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to use the raw....
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »

As a matter of health principle and the sea food I get here in Manila, I avoid eating farmed aquatic creatures / fish.  I strive to get wild ocean.  I have not encountered parasites in any of my wild ocean creatures I eat.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:39 pm »
I am surprised to see this thread alive ( and off topic) again.

On topic, lately I had fast serious weight gain by following SPLEEN improvement methods and eating SPLEEN enhancing foods.   Consciously eating more YANG foods than YIN.  Look into traditional chinese medicine and the spleen.

Bone broths everyday made from fish (complete with innards and heads) or bone broths using beef of many various parts with very long boiling times... is warming, heals the gut, very YANG, you can add hot chili in them. (I'm healing my 11 year old boy's guts).

I have raw fermented ginger with meals that help immensely with giving nutrition to the spleen to help efficiently digest meats. (for my boy too).

Avoid anything cold.  Do not eat your raw paleo foods cold... warm them up to body temperature so you don't expend energy to warm them up.  Even drinks, no iced drinks.  Yang stuff / warming stuff.  Look up yang foods.  look up spleen foods.

You will be looking at traditional chinese medicine and ayurvedic medicine for spleen.  Those 2 regional medicines are very big on spleen. 

I gave my son Tung Shue Cow Head pills for 2 months.  The stuff works.  I tried it myself, and I gained serious weight fast. 5 pounds in a week.  With all the above stuff. 

Look into supplementing with Ginseng, I did.  My TCM healer says ginseng is not for children.

This dad does treatments for his child on himself 2 steps ahead of his own son.

Hope my weight gain experiments help you too.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »
On topic, lately I had fast serious weight gain by following SPLEEN improvement methods and eating SPLEEN enhancing foods.   

This is not particularly important, but the spleen is not the correct organ, it's a mistranslation.  The actual organ that the Chinese are referring to is the pancreas.

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:35 pm »
GS, what SPLEEN enhancing foods do U eat? I look the definition (also after talk with my acupuncture doctor) it is steam veggies and beans...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk