Author Topic: DaBoss88's healing schizophrenia journal  (Read 162577 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: DaBoss88's healing schizophrenia journal
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:49 am »
If you decide to take the Geodon, make sure you measure your blood glucose, as Geodon can raise BG (per www.geodon.com). I haven't used the drug myself, and didn't know what it was, so out of curiosity I googled it and the first hit mentioned that.

Have you noticed any benefits from the methylfolate yet? Do you take methylcobalamin with it, which is supposedly "needed to allow the methylfolate to do its job"? http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2014, 08:51:56 am »
If you decide to take the Geodon, make sure you measure your blood glucose, as Geodon can raise BG (per www.geodon.com). I haven't used the drug myself, and didn't know what it was, so out of curiosity I googled it and the first hit mentioned that.

Have you noticed any benefits from the methylfolate yet? Do you take methylcobalamin with it, which is supposedly "needed to allow the methylfolate to do its job"? http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

I've been taking the geodon lol. My blood sugar is fine. I'm actually getting off it.

The methylfolate works pretty well. I definitely notice benefits. But I always do when I add something lol. And I do use methylcobalamin B12. My b complex and multivitamin both have it, and I also use a sublingual spray.

I just ate my first meal of seasoned food. I had .5 oz of brain, 4.5 oz lamb, and 2 oz beef fat. I used every season I ordered lol - oregano, basil, onion and more. It really made the food taste good, and kind of makes me feel more human. I'm not used to really enjoying what my food tastes like.

About my choice to use seasonings. I've been thinking about it, and I really disagree with instinctive nutrition. I don't believe animals eat what they eat based on taste, but rather on the tastes they've become accustomed to. I recently saw a documentary on farmers who switched their cows from feed lots to pastures. And the cows had no idea what they were doing in the fields.

They had to teach them how to eat grass, and they still had a lot of trouble because they weren't used to it. And I see that same behavior all over the place - cats not wanting raw meat, dog being accustomed to junk food too. I noticed I have a similar preference too.

All I wanted to eat was muscle meat, which I grew up eating. I didn't really like fish, which I rarely ate growing up. And organs are disgusting, which I literally don't remember eating even once growing up. So now I'm seasoning my food, and I can get it down - organs and all.

And I actually enjoy the food. Before I was wolfing it down, and I feel food is meant to be enjoyable as well as nourishing.

Another thing I've noticed is that every healing group - whether it's the specific carbohydrate diet yahoo group, GAPS diet yahoo group, iodine protocol yahoo group, or RPD forum all share one common ideology. All you need is specifically what our group focuses on for optimal health. This one healing protocol will resolve all your health problems.

On the SCD yahoo group I couldn't mention iodine or a raw diet without it being invalidated with the poorest evidence - as happens here. On the iodine yahoo group I couldn't mention a raw diet, SCD or even Vitamin K2 without it being deemed "unnecessary on the iodine protocol." And the same occurs here.

On the SCD yahoo group, I remember someone saying how Lugol's is toxic because WikiPedia cites that consuming a whole bottle of the 5% is toxic. Here the orthomolecular protocols are viewed as unnecessary (frequently).

So I do deviate from the norms here, as I deviate from the norms at all the healing websites. But that's because I accept there's more to health than one mode of healing.

A lot of times when a car isn't running properly, there's more than one thing wrong. Same is true for humans.

Sure HCA's, rancid nutrients, and the oxidized thing produced from them in the body are bad. But so are halogens, Vitamin K2 deficiency, low levels of fat soluble vitamins, not getting the active B vitamins, and much more.

I've had tremendous success with this approach and I mention it so others who perhaps have noticed similar things will know to be open minded when they don't get the results they want from any one healing protocol. Perhaps RPD, or the iodine protocol, or something else doesn't work. But that might just mean you need more than that one protocol. Had I not taken that approach and stuck to the dogmatic suggestions that members here encourage, I know my health today would not be what it is.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:14:02 am by DaBoss88 »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:05 am »
True, true.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2014, 01:23:13 pm »
True, true.

I just feel there's a lot of bad advice thrown around. If it's not members specifically promoting the exact things they're doing that's working for them. It's writing off all symptoms as detox. I think a sticky thread in the newbies area titled "Is It Actually Detox?" may be a good idea. (If you can't tell I've kept quiet for some time lol)

It could address the ever common "I'm having loose stools from my organic/green wise-publix beef," and the "I'm having a lot of trouble staying full, I'm eating 800 calories of lean meat daily while trying to avoid anything that's a plant," and the like. We've all seen memebrs legitimately write these off as "detox" and "needing less calories on a raw diet."
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:42 pm »
(If you can't tell I've kept quiet for some time lol)
lol

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:50 am »
The seasonings have really helped me get the organs down. I've been putting them on everything and it all tastes really good. I just ordered brain, liver, kidney, and heart. I've been able to eat organs with every meal. I had 1 oz liver for breakfast, 1 oz kidney for lunch, and for dinner I'll have .5 oz heart. Yesterday I had some brain and liver. Best part is it all tastes good and I'm not forcing it down.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:39 pm »
I'm cutting back on the beef liver. I'm going to try some lamb liver which has a little less copper per ounce next order from Miller's.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 21, 2014, 07:15:39 am »
I've been taking the full dose of the b vitamins the last few days.

I'm taking 50 mg b complex twice daily, 10 mg methylfolate once daily, 25 mg P5P twice daily, 1000 mg niacin 3x daily, and 18 mg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin-5 phosphate).

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2014, 04:43:41 am »
I'm still taking the same amount of B Vitamins, except I've increased the amount of B2 (Riboflavin-5-Phosphate) to 36 mg daily, which is one full pill.

I also decreased my calcium intake to 1,000 mg daily, w/ 400 mg phosphorous.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2014, 02:04:48 am »
I tried oil pulling today. I rinsed my mouth with a tbls of coconut oil for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »
I'm still doing the Vitamin K2 protocol. I'm not doing exactly what that link says, but I'm following the general idea. More fat soluble vitamins, electrolytes, etc.

Something most of those sites don't mention is ingesting adequate Vitamin K1 and Vitamin E. I recently started eating spinach to get more Vitamin K1, I eat about one ounce daily, and originally started with about 40 grams. I eat it with coconut meat to enhance absorption (fat soluble so absorbs better with fat). Each multivitamin pill has 67 mg Vitamin E (220% DV). I'm convinced for the Vitamin K protocol to work properly all the fat soluble vitamins need to be there in sufficient quantities.

I decreased my iodine consumption about the same time I increased my Vitamin E ingestion because I was experiencing some detox. I'm now taking in just 5 mg daily, when I was taking in 50 mg originally, and then decreased to 20 mg.

I ordered a 400 IU Vitamin E supplement, so I plan to up my dose of the multivitamin till I get it in the mail.

It's interesting because I'm adding in a lot of the stuff I was taking before starting a raw diet.

I continue eating organs daily. I've cut back a little bit. Instead of eating organs for every meal I now eat organs once or twice a day. I also take FCLO for Vitamin A and D.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2014, 05:23:34 am »
Tomorrow my Vitamin E arrives. I'm pretty excited to have all the fat soluble vitamins in sufficient amounts. K1, K2, E, D, A.

At the same time, I'll have all the active forms of the different B Vitamins. B2, B6, B9, and B12.

I plan to start working on other aspects of my life that can boost my health. Like sleep, exercise, and seeking enjoyable activities.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:24:56 am by DaBoss88 »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2014, 06:02:48 am »
Some of your doses seem high. Were they recommended?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2014, 06:19:34 am »
Some of your doses seem high. Were they recommended?

Which ones specifically are you saying are high. Depending who's looking at the dosages, all of them are high. Lol Literally, all.

Niacin - 5,000% 3x daily
B complex, in the same ball park
Vitamin C - 5,000%+ daily
Vitamin K2 -  6,000%+ 3x daily
Iodine - 1,000%+ daily
Salt - way more than the accepted healthy limits

The only ones I take moderate (low) doses of are zinc and selenium.

For the most part, they were recommended.

The niacin, b complex, and vitamin c were recommended by Dr. Hoffer in his book "Healing Schizophrenia: Complementary Vitamin & Drug Treatments."

The iodine and salt are recommended by Dr. Brownstein.

Japanese doctors use Vitamin K2 in doses 3x higher for osteoporosis.

The only thing is that all these alternative therapies are recommended alone, not all combined by most doctors. I've combined them.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:50 am »
Which ones specifically are you saying are high. Depending who's looking at the dosages, all of them are high. Lol Literally, all.
Lol

If you want a completely different take on supplements (rather negative about them in the longer term), check out Todd Becker's blog http://gettingstronger.org . He makes an interesting case for using hormetic therapies to improve the body's own ability to synthesize nutrients. I do use some of the therapies, but I can't say that they've eliminated my need for supplements yet.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think that eating more resistant starch may be reducing my need for B vitamins, such as B6 (P5P form).

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2014, 07:33:00 am »
Lol

If you want a completely different take on supplements (rather negative about them in the longer term), check out Todd Becker's blog http://gettingstronger.org . He makes an interesting case for using hormetic therapies to improve the body's own ability to synthesize nutrients. I do use some of the therapies, but I can't say that they've eliminated my need for supplements yet.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think that eating more resistant starch may be reducing my need for B vitamins, such as B6 (P5P form).

Thank you for the heads up. I'll look into it.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2014, 08:25:13 am »
I just took my first 400 IU/1,333% Vitamin E capsule with 3.5 oz of beef fat (muscle meat trimmings). I'm excited to see the effects it has. I really feel Vitamin E is one of the big nutrients in schizophrenia since the brain (and nervous system) is composed of so much fat, and from what I've read there's a big turn over of fatty acids in schizophrenics because of oxidation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3131721/

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2014, 08:57:24 am »
Be careful with vitamin E supplementation.  There was a study that showed an increase in all-cause mortality with vitamin E supplementation.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:10 am »
Be careful with vitamin E supplementation.  There was a study that showed an increase in all-cause mortality with vitamin E supplementation.

Please link the study/studies? I'll look at them, but I think it's likely I'll find they're studies like the ones in the "Don't Take Supplements" thread.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:38 pm »

I looked into it. A lot of the studies used synthetic Vitamin E, or used Vitamin E without any other fat soluble vitamins. There were also studies done on smokers and people with heart disease where they found it to be ineffective.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 03, 2014, 12:32:50 am »
I took a lot of Vitamin E yesterday. I took 400 IU w/ each meal (3 meals), and another 400 w/ some coconut meat around bed time. I'm trying to increase my Vitamin E status faster than I would taking one pill a day. I'll likely continue with 400 IU per meal today and possibly tomorrow, then drop to a maintenance dose of 400 IU daily.

I start on 5 mg of Geodon tonight. I think I'll go for a month, maybe two, before stopping completely.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 03, 2014, 04:23:14 am »
I looked into it. A lot of the studies used synthetic Vitamin E, or used Vitamin E without any other fat soluble vitamins. There were also studies done on smokers and people with heart disease where they found it to be ineffective.

Yeah, but vitamin A and D don't have any such studies showing an increase in all-cause mortality.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:56 am »
Which kind of Vitamin E are you taking?
Gnawing on bones.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 03, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »
Yeah, but vitamin A and D don't have any such studies showing an increase in all-cause mortality.

There are actually studies showing Vitamin A increased mortality.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/04/16/vitamins.health/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

"The findings of our review show that if anything, people in trial groups given the antioxidants beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E showed increased rates of mortality."

Odds are there were flaws with the studies though, ie. wrong forms of various vitamins, not using all fat soluble vitamins together, etc.

The studies showing Vitamin E are bad were flawed. Here's a good article.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss08/vitamine.html

Here's another good one.

http://wrightnewsletter.com/2011/10/24/truth-flawed-vitamin-e/

"You see, instead of using one of the natural forms of vitamin E that’s been proven over and over again to be essential to maintaining good health, they went ahead and used a synthetic. And not just any synthetic–they used the worst kind you can get. The 400 IU these men were taking every day was all-rac-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, which is pretty much junk."

Again, there are examples of synthetic vs. natural forms of various vitamins where the synthetic is bad. Ie. Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, folic acid, etc.

Here are two more articles, in case the first two weren't enough.

http://drgeo.com/doctors-agree-on-vitamin-e-study-being-flawed

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070923193622.htm

All these articles came up when searching google with the key words "vitamin e study flawed."

Which kind of Vitamin E are you taking?

I'm using one from GI Pro Health.

http://www.giprohealth.com/purevitamine.aspx

"Vitamin E with 30% mixed tocopherols.
Vitamin E is important for tissue repair, circulation and blood clotting, healthy nerves and muscles, and the proper functioning of all major organ systems. Vitamin E can also inhibit the oxidation of lipids and the formation of free radicals. Pure E is an all-natural, balanced, potent vitamin E supplement containing d-alpha tocopherol and 30 percent mixed tocopherols derived from highly refined soy oil that has had all traces of soy protein removed. This vitamin E supplement has been specifically formulated to be highly bioavailable and hypoallergenic to reduce the risk of allergic reaction. "

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:20 pm »
Today I'm taking one 400 IU serving of Vitamin E, and continuing with 5 mg of Geodon at night.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk