Author Topic: DaBoss88's healing schizophrenia journal  (Read 162798 times)

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: DaBoss88's healing schizophrenia journal
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2014, 02:04:31 am »
And you feel ok taking a derivative of Soy?

This one is derived from Sunflower oil although is only Alpha.
http://www.nowfoods.com/Sun-E-400-60-Softgels.htm
 It can be tough finding a Gamma without unwanted additives and not derived from Soy...
Gnawing on bones.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:35 pm »

It can be tough finding a Gamma without unwanted additives and not derived from Soy...

Yes, I'm fine with it being extracted from soy. I know the company very well, and they specialize in hypoallergenic and SCD legal supplements which means they're very strict with allergens.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »
Hey DaBoss, do you ever think you will consider stepping back on you vitamins and supplements?  I am not asking to be challenging, I am just wondering if that is one of your long term goals?  I have been wanting to congratulate you for being so diligent you have been with your supplements, diet and also self care.  Its overwhelming to me to think that so many people out there are suffering needlessly with mental health issues because our society does not understand how intrinsically linked proper nutrition and mental wellness are......let alone what "proper nutrition" and "mental wellness" even entail.  Anyway, your journal is really inspiring, thanks for keeping it up!

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2014, 09:25:00 pm »
Hey DaBoss, do you ever think you will consider stepping back on you vitamins and supplements?  I am not asking to be challenging, I am just wondering if that is one of your long term goals?  I have been wanting to congratulate you for being so diligent you have been with your supplements, diet and also self care.  Its overwhelming to me to think that so many people out there are suffering needlessly with mental health issues because our society does not understand how intrinsically linked proper nutrition and mental wellness are......let alone what "proper nutrition" and "mental wellness" even entail.  Anyway, your journal is really inspiring, thanks for keeping it up!

No, getting off supplements isn't one of my goals. The most important aspect of my routine is the supplements, especially the niacin therapy. I consider it more important than RPD. Before RPD I was doing very well just using supplements, even eating cooked SCD w/o special attention to other supplements, sleep, halogens, or anything else.

RPD is great in addition to my Orthomolecular routine. It limits heat created toxins, provides enzymes, more useable nutrition, and since it's from healthy animals less toxins in general and a balance between omega 3 and 6. But it's not a replacement for Orthomolecular medicine, especially in my case. The only legitimate information I've seen about remedying schizophrenia is from Dr. Hoffer using niacin therapy. Other things are great add ons to the niacin therapy, but they're not replacements, I've seen that first hand.

That being said. I plan to continue with the supplements. But who knows, maybe one day down the road I need less methyl-folate, or something else. I'd be willing to decrease it. I already modify my dose of iodine regularly because some times I think it's to much or to little, but not with the intention of stopping completely. It's not a goal because I don't view supplements as being horrible and damaging. The science doesn't show that. I don't consider supplements to be equivalent to drugs, so while I view getting off meds as important, I don't see a need to get off supplements.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:03:55 pm by DaBoss88 »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2014, 12:03:48 am »
I don't see supplements as damaging either.  I just think the body has an incredible ability to heal and rebalance itself and I consider that perhaps the imbalances that lead to schizophrenia are not totally irreversible if you are able to heal the physical and mental patterning that lead to its symptoms.

In my own experience, I take a similar supplement regime, although definitely at much smaller dosage, and have found it to be extremely helpful in addition to a diet of raw fats and meats, keeping my life extremely low on environmental stress, whether that be mentally, emotionally or physically and also doing a lot of repatterning of my mental and emotional reactions to situations using mindfulness and also psilocybin.   It's hard for me to even think of a situation where I would lose my mind like in the past because my reality, in all aspects, is so far removed from what it used to be.

So perhaps I never really had "schizophrenia" or my body overcame the way it was utilizing nutrients, or, or, or...I am not sure.  I don't think, at this point, I would choose to stop taking supplements either though, but I also consider that that is a choice based on fear of the past.  At this point I would definitely be more concerned with running out of good fats, meats and clean water than not being able to take supplements .

Anyway, just wanted to add my experience to the mix, really glad to see your progress DaBoss, hope I got all my "then/than's" right.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 06, 2014, 02:18:51 am »
Anyway, just wanted to add my experience to the mix, really glad to see your progress DaBoss, hope I got all my "then/than's" right.

Lol I was really stressed when I wrote that (to Chris). I apologized afterward because I realized I said it in a demeaning way, when usually I mean it as a joke and to poke fun at TD.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 06, 2014, 03:38:22 am »

Here's a good response from Dr. Brownstein on this.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Dr-Brownstein/Vitamin-E-and-Soy/2011/02/14/id/476772

"Question: You have recommended taking vitamin E with tocopherols, which contain soy. Yet you wrote a whole article against soy in your newsletter Natural Way to Health. Can you please explain?

Dr. Brownstein's Answer:

Many vitamin E supplements are derived from soy. In manufacturing vitamin E from soy, a multistep process removes soy proteins from the end product. The goitrogens in non-fermented soy foods (such as soy milk, cheese, formula, etc.), which I wrote about in the December 2008 issue of Natural Way to Health, are removed during the manufacturing process. These substances suppress thyroid function and cause goiter, an enlargement of the thyroid gland. Although the vitamin E product has to be labeled as derived from soy, there should be no traces of soy and no goitrogens in the final product."

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 06, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
Really impressed reading your journal. You really have gone at it scientifically. Your postings are very articulate detailing your process. And the weaning off medication has been done so responsibly.

My boyfriend's brother has schizophrenia, and regularly has had to be hospitalized. Years ago when I met him, I had the thought of him trying raw meat and raw fat. I did not mention it to his family as I think they already see me as odd eating this way myself. I am grateful that they don't give me a hard time with it. In traveling to Ireland they even worked it into our schedule to stop at the local butchers. And every time I come to visit they receive my box from Miller's or Northstar bison.

Not sure what you do for a living. It would be great to see a psychiatrist work with you and utilize your experience to heal others they work with. Well done! I'll keep reading your updates. And I'm going to look for a ferrier file.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2014, 11:19:34 pm »
Really impressed reading your journal. You really have gone at it scientifically. Your postings are very articulate detailing your process. And the weaning off medication has been done so responsibly.

Thank you.

My boyfriend's brother has schizophrenia, and regularly has had to be hospitalized. Years ago when I met him, I had the thought of him trying raw meat and raw fat. I did not mention it to his family as I think they already see me as odd eating this way myself.

FYI, the raw diet has been the least important in resolving schizophrenic symptoms for me. Before starting RPD, I ate a cooked paleo diet. Even before that, I ate a regular diet with the worst of the worst foods, and I did alright. The way I managed was using Dr. Hoffer's niacin therapy.

So I was on niacin therapy eating a very bad diet, and I was still able to live a normal life. Eating a regular diet while using niacin therapy I reduced my dose of medication from 120 mg of geodon to 40 mg, and 1500 mg depakote to 500 mg. And the only reason we didn't go lower was because my doctor was nervous about going lower since he said it already wasn't enough to have the needed effect. That was before I even used a good b complex with the active forms of the b vitamins. I was literally just taking 1000 mg niacin and vitamin c, and 50 mg b complex 3x daily.

If you're interested in giving your boy friend's family a starting point for resolving his schizophrenia, Dr. Hoffer's book "Healing Schizophrenia: Vitamin & Drug Treatments" is a good place to start. That's where I first started and it was just what I needed. Dr. Hoffer has other books, but he's the expert on healing schizophrenia. I wouldn't even mention a raw diet, literally I'd only mention the Orthomolecular/supplement aspect of it. Most people are turned off by the thought of a raw diet. Mentioning a raw diet can make people not want to hear anything you have to say about nutrition and health.

Thanks again.  :)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2014, 12:25:14 am »
I saw my psychiatrist yesterday and informed him I started taking 5 mg Sunday night. He's ok with it, and we made an appointment in 6 weeks. I'll discontinue the geodon in 6 weeks when I see him again.

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2014, 07:36:16 am »
If you're interested in giving your boy friend's family a starting point for resolving his schizophrenia, Dr. Hoffer's book "Healing Schizophrenia: Vitamin & Drug Treatments" is a good place to start. That's where I first started and it was just what I needed. Dr. Hoffer has other books, but he's the expert on healing schizophrenia. I wouldn't even mention a raw diet, literally I'd only mention the Orthomolecular/supplement aspect of it. Most people are turned off by the thought of a raw diet. Mentioning a raw diet can make people not want to hear anything you have to say about nutrition and health.
Very good advice. Thanks.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 07, 2014, 10:17:24 am »
FYI: stopping some drugs abruptly can cause withrdawal effects. Geodon is reportedly one of them, if you weren't already aware.

Talk to your doctor before you stop taking Geodon; you should not stop taking Geodon abruptly. You can reduce Geodon withdrawal symptoms by slowly tapering off of this medication. http://www.goodtherapy.org/drugs/geodon-ziprasidone.html
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
PaleoPhil have you even read DaBoss's journal?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:27 am »
FYI: stopping some drugs abruptly can cause withrdawal effects. Geodon is reportedly one of them, if you weren't already aware.

PaleoPhil have you even read DaBoss's journal?

Lol right? It's not like I haven't been posting for the last year+ how I've slowly tapered from 80 mg to the 5 mg I'm on now.

I spent 6 months on 20 mg, 3 months on 10 mg, and I plan to do at least 6 weeks on 5 mg. That's a pretty slow taper.

You really do make it seem like you haven't looked at my journal, PP.

If you decide to take the Geodon, make sure you measure your blood glucose, as Geodon can raise BG (per www.geodon.com). I haven't used the drug myself, and didn't know what it was, so out of curiosity I googled it and the first hit mentioned that.

You posted that when I mentioned I was tapering it to 5 mg and I had already been on it for a while.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:14:55 am by DaBoss88 »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:24 am »
I either missed or forgot the 5 mg bit, sorry. I guess I don't have to warn you now that I am forgetful.  -[  It seems like the forgetfulness got worse after some time on VLC too, though it's hard to say for sure. My sister also reported forgetfulness on VLC. Good short-term memory also supposed to be an explanation for good dream recall. I haven't been very good about getting enough resistant starch and B6 recently and I noticed that my dream recall dropped off again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:42:47 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 07, 2014, 09:47:16 pm »
I either missed or forgot the 5 mg bit, sorry. I guess I don't have to warn you now that I am forgetful.  -[  It seems like the forgetfulness got worse after some time on VLC too, though it's hard to say for sure. My sister also reported forgetfulness on VLC. Good short-term memory also supposed to be an explanation for good dream recall. I haven't been very good about getting enough resistant starch and B6 recently and I noticed that my dream recall dropped off again.

Hmm sorry to hear that Phil, didn't meant to sound rude.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2014, 01:25:24 am »
I also didn't mean to sound rude, PP.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2014, 07:29:28 am »
That's OK folks, it was indeed pretty funny. For years I've identified with the character Forgetful on Sesame Street. ;D

Maybe I'll get lucky and resistant starch will bring some of my S-T memory and mental clarity back.

I thought I was listening to my body and didn't connect the problem to VLC early on, because I had memory problems and mental fog before VLC, and it helped greatly at first, but I realized how much of a connection there probably was last week when I skipped a day of potato starch (it supposedly helps to skip a day now and then) and had already been taking less B6 (because the RS seemed to be helping), but that combo was going too far and I was in a fog for much of Thursday (including forgetting to start taking the PS again) and I forgot what day it was. I also got a couple bits of shocking news that threw me for a loop (such as that lots of folks are being seriously harmed by VLC that's low in RS). I unintentionally missed work Friday because I thought it was Saturday and the idea stuck and I didn't snap out of it until a friend told me what day it was on Saturday afternoon. LOL

This reminded me to start taking more potato starch and B6 again and the contrasting improvement drove home the importance to me again. It also motivated me to get set up as a new patient at a medical practice (talk about red tape) that does gut biome tests. Ironically, when something's working decently, it's easy to get complacent and not stick well enough to the program.

Like Brady the honey guy, in retrospect it seems that in the longer run VLC has been one of the worst things I've done to my health, although limited-budget SAD is up there. If I can recover quickly from VLC, then maybe it will turn out to have not been so bad. Either way, I hope my mistakes will be a warning to others, and I'm bound to make more.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:35:39 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 08, 2014, 11:33:12 pm »
Since adding in the Vitamin E, and therefore getting all the fat soluble vitamins, I've practically stopped taking any iodine. I might take less than 2.5 mg (1 drop) per gallon. I would get detox effects from anything more than that.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 09, 2014, 02:51:45 am »
I was putting one drop in each gallon I put into my 2.5 gallon container. I stopped doing that 2 gallons ago, and today I put one drop of the 2% (2.5 mg) and diluted it so I could put 1/5th of a drop in each gallon of water. So I'm getting 500 mcg daily for now.

The RDA is 150 mcg for people over 19. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:49 am »
I started experimenting with glycine.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/treatments.php#glycine

It's supposed to help. I'm not sure if I'll get up to the 30 grams they recommend daily. But I'm taking one 500 mg pill 1-3 times each day for now.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 10, 2014, 04:55:04 am »
I found a good glycine supplement from Now Foods which has 1,000 mg per serving, 454 servings per bottle.

http://www.nowfoods.com/Glycine-Free-Form-Vegetarian-1lb.htm

That makes it much easier to increase my dose if I want to try the higher doses recommended.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:57 am »
Gelatin is pretty high in glycine. I wish I knew what measurements the "Amino Acid Analysis" was in though:

http://www.iherb.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Co-Beef-Gelatin-Collagen-Joint-Care-Unflavored-16-oz-454-g/52775

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

WAPF probably has a ton of articles as well.  Do you ever consider food source??  Do you think its wise to target specific animo acids and do you consider the imbalances that might arise from that?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2014, 08:49:29 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try the supplements for now. Maybe later down the road I'll try something different. I think the supplement is a good place to start.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2014, 03:57:10 am »
I got my glycine today. I took 1,000 mg so far, and I'm likely to get up to maybe 5,000 mg daily in the next few days.

I'd like to mention this in my journal as an explanation for why there's such emphasis on supplements, and why I barely mention diet.

Before starting RPD, I ate a cooked paleo type diet. I was doing very well, and did very well for over 2 years. The whole time I was taking the important supplements that I take now. I was doing very well. Before eating a cooked paleo diet, I was eating the SADiet, and I was doing pretty well also. Everyone around me noticed a change in my mental status, and I was able to taper all my medications by 2/3 (1,500 mg depakote to 500 mg, and 120 mg geodon to 40 mg) while still eating a SADiet. I had doctors telling me they didn't think I was schizophrenic, who also told me the low dose of medication I was on wasn't enough to have the effect it's supposed to have.

When I started a raw diet, I stopped all my supplements and my health rapidly declined. I was readmitted into the hospital and had a full relapse of all my symptoms. After leaving the hospital, I continued trying to eat raw - with no relief to my symptoms for many months. After starting the supplements again my symptoms went away, and I went back to living a normal life.

RPD is a great diet when done properly - but it's not a cure for schizophrenia. Dr. Hoffer's niacin therapy returns schizophrenics to normalcy, where they can live normal, productive lives. RPD didn't do that for me, orthomolecular medicine did. It made me well before I started a raw diet, and it's the reason I'm well today.

I came to the RPD forum/yahoo group to "upgrade" my cooked SCDiet. To make my diet raw, and better than what it was. I've done that, my diet is much, much better than what it was. But now I'm focusing on what has worked for me in the past, and what continues to work for me - orthomolecular medicine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk