Author Topic: Synthetic vitamin C causes atherosclerosis  (Read 8116 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Synthetic vitamin C causes atherosclerosis
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:03:26 am »
I never understood how people can trust artificial products like vitamin pills.

Here is a nice article about synthetic vitamins:

http://drmarkbernhard.com/articles/the-whole-truth-about-vitamins

Among other things, the author of the article mentions three studies about synthetic vitamin C:

1998: A British study found that 500 mg of synthetic C promoted free radical damage of DNA; the opposite of the findings with whole food vitamin C, a natural anti-oxidant.

2000: Reuters Health reports a study on men who took 500 mg of synthetic vitamin C daily. Over an 18-month period, they had a 250% increase in the thickness of the inner lining of the carotid artery, a measurement for the progression of atherosclerosis. That is, synthetic vitamin C induced atherosclerosis, even at .5 grams/day. Whole food vitamin C protects and repairs the inner lining of blood vessels and is a preventative against atherosclerosis.

2003: A study of men taking 500 mg of synthetic Vitamin C daily found that, over an 18 month period, they had a 250% increase in the inner lining of the carotid artery. This thickening is a measurement of the progression of atherosclerosis. In other words, synthetic Vitamin C induced atherosclerosis even at a dose of 500 mg per day.

Löwenherz

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Synthetic vitamin C causes atherosclerosis
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:03 am »
Yes, I couldn't agree more. Synthetic vitamins and supplements are noxious and should be totally avoided. In his books published in 1963, Günther Schwab explained this very well.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:50 am »
I think this has got to be a core message for newbies to raw paleo.
We are here looking for complete nutrition.
Must be shared with other friends and family.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:16 am »
I'm not sure I agree with this article.

When I started raw paleo, I got very sick from stopping all my supplements.

When I started back on the niacin I got better almost instantly.

While I agree it's best to get vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, etc. from a healthy raw diet, I think there are instances where supplements are necessary.

Like for me, I need niacin. There's no way to get 1,000 mg per meal using whole foods.

Again, I'm all for getting vitamins and everything else from food. But I do think in some cases supplements are necessary.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:50:32 am »
Of course there are exceptions.
There are special needs, especially for emergencies.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:22:08 am »
I knew my instincts for avoiding synthetic vitamin C were good.

I still take vitamin D, but that's because I see so many health benefits from it.

Sometimes i take magnesium too, but I don't think it causes any real problems.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 03:28:53 pm »
Yes, I couldn't agree more. Synthetic vitamins and supplements are noxious and should be totally avoided. In his books published in 1963, Günther Schwab explained this very well.
Was Schwab a rawist? Then I could perhaps add mention of his books in a relevant sticky thread.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:36:28 pm »
Günther Schwab on Wikipedia
“The dance with the devil” is available on line, apparently on a religious website even if the book has nothing to do with religion. It just uses “the devil” words as a metaphor; the whole book reads like a kind fiction novel in the form of an interview with the devil in his premises.
Dance With The Devil, by Gunther Schwab – a must read.

No, not completely rawist but on the same trend.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 01:34:58 am »
I am still taking vit c. I haven't been able to come off without getting quite ill. I immediately feel better when I restart it. I don't want to be on them forever but I haven't been able to withstand the detox. I'm down to 1gram/day and feeling good. I have been eating as much raw seafood as I can afford. I feel like that is helping me to feel better decreasing vit C. Maybe its yhe natural iodine in the shellfish that helps.I also take CLO, vit D, and just started Mg. If I could rest and heal for months that would be a different story but, I can figure a realistic way to accomplish that. I do what I can, I don't smoke or drink, it's a vitamin. It's good info I'm glad to have it in mind. Thanks.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
I am still taking vit c. I haven't been able to come off without getting quite ill.

Which symptoms do you get?

Löwenherz

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:29:32 pm »
I am still taking vit c. I haven't been able to come off without getting quite ill.

I think the lesson in the article here is to replace your ascorbic acid type "vitamin c" with a whole food vitamin c supplement.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 01:17:21 pm »
Grapes tend to be high in vitamin C.  Actually high, I tested them in junior high school in science class.  Oddly, oranges had no vitamin C at all.

Phil, I think you had this same experience, right?

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:13:33 pm »
I think the lesson in the article here is to replace your ascorbic acid type "vitamin c" with a whole food vitamin c supplement.
Vitamin C is the same ascorbic acid in supplements and foods and in animals that can produce it themselves, so something doesn't fit in those studies.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »
Vitamin C is the same ascorbic acid in supplements and foods and in animals that can produce it themselves, so something doesn't fit in those studies.
No it isn't the same. A processed supplement will never have the right enzymes etc. that a more natural version thereof will have.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
    I like the prittee one.  Just joking, but I saw a wall chart years ago with natural and synthetic C crystals years ago in my chiropractor's office. They were so different from each other, more than this picture.  This one is from a site on Henry Kellogg.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk