Author Topic: avocado hatred  (Read 8502 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
avocado hatred
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:00:23 am »
its funny, theres so many foods I hear people talking about having trouble with like dairy or honey or tomatoes and various other things that I have zero trouble with and all make me feel great. But I never hear anyone talking about avocados being bad but they make me sick EVERY time with quite uncomfortable nausea. I had another one today and now im sure im done with them.
-----------

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: avocado hatred
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:05:20 am »
Everyone is different.
You are allergic to avocados.
I'll take note of that.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
does just nausea and a bit of stomach discomfort count as allergy? I don't feel like any amount of it could seriously hurt me like people with a peanut allergy or something like that. I feel like its the only raw thing I cant deal with. That and salmon but I think I'll give salmon another try because i love it so much for taste and I'm in a bit of denial even though last two times I ate it wasn't very pleasant at all.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:29:59 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:30:54 pm »
Farmed salmon should be avoided. The above issue re avocadoes is a sign of food-intolerance, not allergy as such. I also have a few foods to which I react very mildly.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:55:43 pm »
People can be allergic to all sorts of things.
In our house alone we all have individual weird allergies.

I am allergic to tomatoes.
A maid is allergic to calamansi (our local lemon).
Another maid is allergic to garlic.
The driver is allergic to chicken.
My son is allergic to shrimp.
My wife says her tummy can't take shellfish.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »
i would never eat farmed fish. It was wild salmon that made me sick.
-----------

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:23 pm »
i was going to say the same as td, that's intolerance, not allergy. 

it's been a long time since i've been able to eat avocado, but my body is doing very well with them right now.  i'm enjoying them very well for now until my body tells me it's had enough.  may not be a seasonal thing to be eating right now, but i haven't eaten them in so long i'm too happy to care. :)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 11:45:45 pm »
Coming from the land of plentiful avocados, I find that there are many different tastes and textures among the different varieties of the fruit. Also, their degree of ripeness is very subtle and can affect the taste dramatically from one day to the next. In particular, I find that the non-domestic varieties are watery and bitter at any stage of ripeness. If the label says Peru, Chile, Argentina, Australia (the major suppliers in our off-season), I won't buy them. In-season California or Mexico avocados are better, IMO.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »
i would never eat farmed fish. It was wild salmon that made me sick.

wild salmon makes many people nauseous, including me. There's a specific chemical in it, I forget the name.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:16:06 am »
I'm in a similar boat as Troll. When I eat avocado I experience a greater degree of the negative effects that I typically get from carby foods than I do when I eat certain other even carbier foods like raw fermented honey and berries. This was quite a surprise to me, because many LCers tout avocados for their low-carb and high-fat content. It shows me just how complex nature is and how different people's individual experiences can be.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:50 am »
I think the secret is in our individual digestion. I can only eat relatively small amounts of coconut cream because too much will trigger diarrhea. I know it's not an allergy because I love coconut water and can tolerate the meat just fine. Avocado isn't exactly an easy thing for all of us to digest either, it's a lot of fat and fiber together and is a somewhat unique fruit. I'd be interested to know if anyone else who has difficulty digesting coconuts also encounters problems with avocados.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:39 am »
Yes, but I found that I could digest small amounts of mature coconut meat and centrifuge extracted coconut oil and over time my digestion of it seems to have improved. I never adapted to the expeller-pressed coconut oil, which still gives me nausea if I eat more than a tiny smidgeon and tastes awful to me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:08:34 am »
So you're pressing some of your own oil? That's really interesting. I wish I had access to better coconuts to even make that worth it for me. When I have coconuts I send them through a juicing screen and out comes some really nice tasting cream. I've also eaten the coconut fiber from the juicer separately and again, too much gave me nausea. I think in my case that too much of the coconut fat, or too much of the fiber will upset my digestion. I haven't had this happen with any other foods though.

In your case it seems like the most natural processes are tolerated best?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 09:34:18 am »
So you're pressing some of your own oil?
Nah, it comes from Wilderness Family Naturals. Rather pricey, but it's FAR better than the expeller-pressed stuff. I was amazed at the difference. It seems that a little bit of heat really can ruin a food.

That's really interesting. I wish I had access to better coconuts to even make that worth it for me. When I have coconuts I send them through a juicing screen and out comes some really nice tasting cream. I've also eaten the coconut fiber from the juicer separately and again, too much gave me nausea. I think in my case that too much of the coconut fat, or too much of the fiber will upset my digestion. I haven't had this happen with any other foods though.
I haven't seen anyone else report this, but I actually seem to tolerate the unprocessed coconut meat best. However, I did overdo it one time and was sick for most of a day.

In your case it seems like the most natural processes are tolerated best?
Yeah, it's rather interesting. So far nature and the most primitive peoples have been the best guides for me, much more so than scientists, physicians, most bloggers and forum/blog commenters, and so forth (though some folks here have been extremely helpful and I'm thankful for that). I suppose it's a sort of "Instincto" approach that has worked best for me, except with some cooking included (sorry if that offends).

Some of the super-genius bloggers who claim that cooking is fine and heat not much of a factor would probably condemn my regimen as "Paleo emulation" or some such thing, but the reason I do it is because it has worked best among what I've tried, not because it's so-called "emulation" (and I'm not even a 100% pure emulator anyway). Whatever the reason, I've just found that nature tends to steer me more in the right direction than the "experts."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:40:08 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:41 am »
Have you completely ruled out the possibility that some of your food intolerances may be psychological in origin? Perhaps certain forms of cooking or heating of foods could trigger the response of biological revulsion in you. I know this is a bit of a stretch but some psychologists believe that many phobias such as trypophobia are actually related to revulsion, that particular feeling that we've all experienced. I'm just musing and don't mean to offend. Like I think a lot of us here are, I'm the type that can't help but always wonder what else must be going on.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:40:09 am »
Paleophil do you think since it's centrifuged it retains its enzyme?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55:36 am »
I don't know, I just know that my experience matched what the people who recommended it in this forum said--it tasted much better and digested better for me. I was surprised. I was expecting a more than 50% chance that it would be a fail for me, but the praise seemed more than the usual hype, so I gave it a try. Plus, I'm not afraid of much and willing and curious to try many different foods, which helps explain why I tried raw Paleo to begin with. Not many people are willing to try raw animal foods these days, though there seem to be more since the stunt/dare reality, survival and strange food TV shows came out and people saw that the folks eating the odd foods didn't die. Being curious and adventurous with foods and lifestyle has paid dividends for me. YMMV
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:03:13 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 04:51:44 am »
wild salmon makes many people nauseous, including me. There's a specific chemical in it, I forget the name.

I could eat kilos of fresh wild salmon in one meal. It is one of the few species of fish I have no problems with. I seem to be allergic to most species of sea fish. For example I tried a couple of sardines today and had trouble breathing for the following hour or so and my lower lip is still slightly swollen about 7 hrs later. I often wonder if man is actually fully adapted to eating fish that live out at sea. I can't imagine them being on the menu all that much during the paleolithic. Salmon on the other hand, as I'm sure we all know, migrate in huge numbers up rivers to breed, where they would have been very easy prey.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 07:05:14 am »
I agree actually I just read an article about how our ancestors might have caught shallow water fish and prawns at night. Interesting stuff, but not many real citations, just theory. http://www.polyphasicsociety.com/polyphasic-sleep/beginners/evolution-and-sleep/

Offline Michelle

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 02:11:42 am »
I LOVE avocados, but I can't eat them very often. If they're slightly under-ripe they do give me acid reflux.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk