Author Topic: Question, do we all need to consume raw fermented cod-liver oil to avoid cold?  (Read 9588 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
Hi all. I m getting tired of handling the cold episode one after another of my five yrs old son, who's diet is nothing , but strictly based on raw food, raw paleo. Only thing he is missing here probably minerals, but I do give him time to time little blood juice from heart or liver. I stopped giving him raw fermented cod-liver oil past one year and see, his cold becomes a constant factor now. Should I start again that oil? He eats mostly marrows, brains, fats, egg yolks as his fat sources.

I'd like to add that he was vaccinated unto 9 months age and his last vaccinations were given 3 together in one day.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:20:47 pm by TylerDurden »
bugs or country chickens

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
does he eat any other fermented foods? 
broths?
seaweed?
green veggies or any other vegetables?
fruits?

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
He was born when I was vegan. He was vegan till 2yrs of age. He used to hates veggies so much that always used to throw up even a small doses. I used to grow most of them or wild form. All types of fruits and nuts too. But introducing him raw meat, he even rejected to take the most delicious fruits over meat. Now he only like apples mostly, but raw meat and organs his most favorites items. He does not absolutely like veggies.

I know that if I give him seaweed in water to drink, that would be easier to give him. I used to do these seaweed things in my vegan time. But strore bought one.
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
No fermented food yet. He does not even like raw goat milk acidophilous that i make for my 13 months old daughter. But I did give him a little piece of high meat last night while he has fever. Today morning, he seems feeling much better, but tired eyes

I never give any broth. Myself, I just do not like the idea the way we cook, specially on toxic gas or radiated electric stove. But burning wood could be the most better choice if I ever consider cooked food (obviously not heated proteins) for my children , given from my hand
bugs or country chickens

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
is he getting enough vitamin D?

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
He was born when I was vegan. He was vegan till 2yrs of age. He used to hates veggies so much that always used to throw up even a small doses. I used to grow most of them or wild form. All types of fruits and nuts too. But introducing him raw meat, he even rejected to take the most delicious fruits over meat. Now he only like apples mostly, but raw meat and organs his most favorites items. He does not absolutely like veggies.

I know that if I give him seaweed in water to drink, that would be easier to give him. I used to do these seaweed things in my vegan time. But strore bought one.

Good suggestion might be to grow many small daily sprouts, and maybe push them regularly into the raw animal food he likes?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
There's a thread on raw broths somewhere. You could also add lemon juice, raw apple cider vinegar, or raw coconut vinegar to it to help extract the minerals and gelatin.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Does he get enough vitamin C?

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
No he is not getting enough vit D , living in colder climate. Fish oil he needs for fit D. Also we don't take anything that has vit C, except apples.

Please, send me the link of raw broth. Thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
I don't have it, sorry. Did you try searching for it yet? I would think that the only difference would be that you wouldn't use heat and you would soak longer to compensate (something acidic is generally added in both cooked and raw versions, as I understand it).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:27:46 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Something to consider.. While a VLC diet is fine for adults. LC diets for kids typically aren't good since kids have a harder time converting protein in carbs. Also kids need a lot of carbs since they're growing.

Maybe consider incorporating more plant matter that's high in vitamin c.

Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I find that grapes are very high in vitamin C, when I've actually tested them in a lab.  Citrus fruits are NOT high in vitamin C.  They usually have none at all.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Well, I have started again on Cod liver oil and son is doing very well. I think it is vit D and omega 3 play an important role on cold> He hardly had cold on fermented fish oil before.
bugs or country chickens

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Well, I have started again on Cod liver oil and son is doing very well. I think it is vit D and omega 3 play an important role on cold> He hardly had cold on fermented fish oil before.

Good. Let us know if things change.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
He eats mostly marrows, brains, fats, egg yolks as his fat sources. 

I would have thought he would be getting plenty of omega 3 from those, especially brains.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Hi all. I m getting tired of handling the cold episode one after another of my five yrs old son, who's diet is nothing , but strictly based on raw food, raw paleo. Only thing he is missing here probably minerals, but I do give him time to time little blood juice from heart or liver. I stopped giving him raw fermented cod-liver oil past one year and see, his cold becomes a constant factor now. Should I start again that oil? He eats mostly marrows, brains, fats, egg yolks as his fat sources.

I'd like to add that he was vaccinated unto 9 months age and his last vaccinations were given 3 together in one day.

Several friends told me that since they started giving their kids a large glass of fresh fruit juice/smoothie (including citrus fruits) first thing on the morning everyday (upon my suggestion), their kids no longer suffer cold/flu.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
yes, cod liver oil likes the magic for my children to stop the frequent cold.They take extremely cold shower in coldest day without any sign of cold.  Also my hubby suffers from severe mucous problem and cod liver oil just solves this problem right away like 80%. my kids are on 0% vegetable and very low on citrus fruits . they are on high protein and fats mostly
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk