Author Topic: Raw Cheese: Types, Brands, Sources, Reviews  (Read 26073 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Raw Cheese: Types, Brands, Sources, Reviews
« on: March 14, 2013, 12:17:58 am »
I'm experimenting with Vitamin K2 sources lately and the lady who is a K2 proponent says that Brie and Gouda are cheeses with excellent K2 amounts.

I am lucky that the Brie Cheese I bought is a raw cheese: Brie de Meaux (French)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brie_de_Meaux
I just read somewhere that it is illegal to import raw cheese in the USA.

I think Brie tastes pretty good.

All over Metro Manila you can by Brie cheese in Rustan's and Santi's outlets.

Let this thread be a depository of raw cheese discussions.
Types, Brands, Sources, Reviews.

Aajonus Vonderplanitz on RAW CHEESE:

CHEESES, RAW, NO-SALT-ADDED, are made from raw milk and
there is no salt added to the milk. Similar to clay, cheese supplies
concentrations of minerals that bind with radicals and poisons that the
body dumped into the stomach and intestines. Also, cheese draws the
poisons from the blood, nervous and lymphatic systems as they pass
through the stomach and intestines. Unsalted raw cheeses act like a
sponge to absorb those toxins, relieving nausea. Since cheeses lack
most bioactive enzymes, causing dehydration, eating raw fat with
cheese, such as unsalted raw butter or coconut cream, helps prevent
constipation.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:23:08 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Cheese: Types, Brands, Sources, Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:26:00 am »
It is legal to import/sell raw aged cheese in the US, but not raw soft cheese. I can buy domestic and imported raw sheep, cow, and goat cheese in many stores. Funny, though, the cheese says "raw" but not "grass-fed" or "pastured" so I make the general assumption (true or not) that imported sheep's-milk cheese is grass-fed and all others are not.

Trader Joe's carries raw-milk cheeses, none are specified as grass-fed. Also, Trader Joe's carries a grass-fed cheese that contains pasteurized milk.

I also find raw cheeses at independent supermarkets such as Ava's in Mountain View, Gene's Fine Foods in Saratoga, and many more places in the South Bay (San Francisco) area. I have also found raw cheese at the Campbell (Sunday) Farmer's Market. Grass-fed beef at the butcher counter seems to signal that there will possibly be raw cheese in the dairy case.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:27 am »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:45:40 am »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
What does pancrease taste like?

Japanese natto is extremely high in K2, much much higher than cheese.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/353239-foods-rich-in-vitamin-k2/

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:50:41 pm »
Beef pancreas that I get tastes bland and good.  No bad taste from my point of view.  I did get cross eyed once for 2 days after eating too much pancreas.  Since then I just eat a slice at a time.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:08:52 pm »
I've eaten buffalo pancreas regularly in the past from NorthStar Bizon.  The taste was very strong.  I could only eat 2-3 ounces at a time.  Never tried from other animals.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:00 pm »
I think one is meant to eat less than an ounce or two  at at a time.  Try hanging it in the fridge for about 5 -7 days, taking slices from it as it ages. 

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:27:36 am »
It appears cooking makes it less stronger.  I've heard it is a popular dish in the South - sweetbreads.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:17 am »
do you really trust any cheese in a store to be truly raw? their definition of raw is unpasteurized. at least, i'm guessing that they boil the milk before adding cultures.  plus the added salt.  it's too much, and who knows what kind.

i really like sweetbreads!! i've never just taken a slice of pancreas, but i love the flavor it adds when ground with muscle meat.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:01:52 pm »
Technically, I posted this topic about raw cheese in Aajonus' Primal Diet section where raw cheese is "legal".

Yes, you are correct about trust, this is why I'm asking for feedback and experiences from others, which brand to trust.

I agree that raw organs may give K2, but I think my son who needs K2 is not ready for raw organs regularly yet.

Past 2 dinners I had raw fish eggs of a 5.6 kilo dorado fish.  Hopefully that contained a lot of K2.  My son took a bite of the raw fish eggs and said they were ok.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:56:39 pm »
I was a great lover of raw cheese. In Switzerland, the Sbrinz and Tilsit cheese were made with raw milk and perhaps still are. In "cantons" of Vaud and Fribourg there is a very soft an creamy cheese called "vacherin"; it's in a wooden box which keeps it in shape. It was made with raw milk but after some people got salmonella with it, it had to be compulsory pasteurized. The same fate happened to another kind, the small "tomme vaudoise". 

I never ate cheese again (nor any dairy) ever since January 1987, except once about a cubic centimeter of raw goat cheese, which I found heavy to digest.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:59:51 am »
Aajonous also writes on how to make the cheese yourself. that's the only cheese i would trust to truly be raw if i were going to eat cheese.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:18 am »
do you really trust any cheese in a store to be truly raw?

the is a great selection of local raw cheeses in the pacific northwest/inland northwest.  I trust the farmers, they are very very traditional farmers and are really lovely to supply the community with access to raw milk and raw milk cheeses. those are definitely a treat, very addicting!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 10:24:10 pm »
Added this info on the first post for reference to new readers:

Aajonus Vonderplanitz on RAW CHEESE:

CHEESES, RAW, NO-SALT-ADDED, are made from raw milk and
there is no salt added to the milk. Similar to clay, cheese supplies
concentrations of minerals that bind with radicals and poisons that the
body dumped into the stomach and intestines. Also, cheese draws the
poisons from the blood, nervous and lymphatic systems as they pass
through the stomach and intestines. Unsalted raw cheeses act like a
sponge to absorb those toxins, relieving nausea. Since cheeses lack
most bioactive enzymes, causing dehydration, eating raw fat with
cheese, such as unsalted raw butter or coconut cream, helps prevent
constipation.

Offline John Worfin

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 06:44:21 am »
I have wondered about this claim that raw cheese binds to toxins. It makes some sense that it could pull toxins from the blood when it is in the digestive track. However Aajonus states that iridology shows that toxins are also stored throughout the body, say in the lungs and brain and affect those organs. I am wondering how cheese being in the digestive track could be affective in removing toxins stored in other areas.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:12:14 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:19 am »
I have wondered about this claim that raw cheese binds to toxins. It makes some sense that it could pull toxins from the blood when it is in the digestive track. However Aajonis states that iridology shows that toxins are also stored throughout the body, say in the lungs and brain and affect those organs. I am wondering how cheese being in the digestive track could be affective in removing toxins stored in other areas.

Maybe it is because blood flows.  There are theories that the stomach also plays that role in cleansing the blood.  Barefoot Herbalist MH is on the same page with Aajonus on that hypothesis.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 09:23:18 am »
I thought about whether or not to reply...  here goes,  occasionally I think 'we' find reasons to eat certain foods we like.  Another example is butter mixed with honey suggested by Aajonus.  Does nothing for me other than raise blood sugar levels, and act as a comfort food that can be quite addicting if taken frequently, for what else in the raw paleo world comes close to being as sweet and fatty (besides Durian).    I remember being Chastised by the Bear when I asked where he gets his calcium, and should we be be grinding bones.    But then you read where he eats quite a bit of cheese, and hence gets His calcium from it.    With cheese, one might say the mucous I get when eating most could be from the toxins that the cheese pulls.  My vote/opinion would be something different.    I think it's also important to remember when proclaiming the benefit of a certain food,,  what food have you substituted it for.   For instance, butter and honey may be a relief to the body when substituted for chocolate with it's often included processed ingredients.   Cheese may be a substitute for eating breads or cooked starches for one transitioning away from cooked or processed foods, and hence, again, be a relief for the body.         But then again, the Swiss are some of the longest lived peoples in the world according to Price and they certainly relied on cheese as almost if not their staple.  But then I've been to those mountains, and have tasted dairy in many of their forms, and the vitality of dairy from swiss mountain cows/goats eating the multi-varied grasses and herbs during the summer months, is probably unsurpassed anywhere in the world. 

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 02:29:27 am »
WARNING: 95% of raw cheese sold in stores is not raw but simply heated below elgal pasteurization tempurature. This means they can label it raw if its just 1 degree under legal pasteurization temperature.
 make sure your cheese is raw before eating it.

as far as cheese types go iv been loving goat feta lately. It makes me feel REALLY good and energized, something to do with its inherent tanginess.
-----------

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 02:56:04 am »
I love raw cheese, Brie and Camembert are absolutely delicious but I get constipated after eating them. I can't eat a slice or two, because I can't stop until I finish the hole box :-))
It's a fairly small box of Camembert but I get constipated every time I eat it.
Am I the only one who gets such a horrible side effect?
Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 03:13:59 am »
I love raw cheese, Brie and Camembert are absolutely delicious but I get constipated after eating them. I can't eat a slice or two, because I can't stop until I finish the hole box :-))

1. the cheese might not be truly raw, check with the manufactureer.
2. aajonus recommends mixing cheese with fat to prevent constipation.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:39 am »

It's the extremely high calcium to magnesium ratio that causes this.  I advise eating only butter and fermented cream, as far as dairy goes.  The excess calcium can cause heart disease, after several decades.  In addition, it can cause calcium to be deposited in weird places around your body, that can create pain and other symptoms.

Also, those cheese aren't raw. Hopefully they are at least grassfed, but you're better off looking for truly grassfed, raw dairy.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:23 am »
It's the extremely high calcium to magnesium ratio that causes this.  I advise eating only butter and fermented cream, as far as dairy goes.  The excess calcium can cause heart disease, after several decades.  In addition, it can cause calcium to be deposited in weird places around your body, that can create pain and other symptoms.

Actually, I've started looking into this extensively. It's not necessarily calcium itself that is bad. Calcium is a necessary nutrient and beneficial for dental, bone, and other aspects of health.

It's the LACK OF VITAMIN K2 that leads to all the problems associated with calcium.

Vitamin K2 directs the calcium to go to bones and teeth. The lack of vitamin K2 basically lets calcium run a muck in the body and get deposited in places it doesn't belong (like the brain, arteries, etc).
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:12 pm »
Actually, I've started looking into this extensively. It's not necessarily calcium itself that is bad. Calcium is a necessary nutrient and beneficial for dental, bone, and other aspects of health.

It's the LACK OF VITAMIN K2 that leads to all the problems associated with calcium.

Vitamin K2 directs the calcium to go to bones and teeth. The lack of vitamin K2 basically lets calcium run a muck in the body and get deposited in places it doesn't belong (like the brain, arteries, etc).

My understanding is that magnesium and vitamin D actually play larger roles in keeping calcium from causing problems.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 01:22:35 am »
all the calcium studies you are basing this on were done on heated calcium. excess raw calcium is excreted through the urine just like all other excess minerals. this is the point of urine. if its raw it doesn get stuck anywhere and cause problems.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk