Author Topic: Beauty Recipes  (Read 19185 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Beauty Recipes
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:40 am »
I thought it would  be fun to share some recipes or even decent products that people use for personal hygiene, beauty, etc.  I just read a book called 'no more dirty looks', and there were actually some good ideas in there. 

make-up: for black coloring (eye liner, mascara, eye shadow) - mix activated charcoal with oil

lotion: after using just coconut oil all winter and my skin still being horribly dry and rough, i am now in the process of making tallow based lotion.  according to online sources, mixing 10 parts tallow with 1 part any room temp oil will keep it soft enough. essential oils optional.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Beauty Recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:37 am »
I use dessert essence tooth paste, fluoride, gluten and sls free.

A water wise shower head filter that removes chlorine and other impurities. My hair has never ben softer.

I also use natural shampoos and conditioners that supplement stores sell.

Since starting this diet, I've noticed my hands are softer. And I've had people tell me I look younger and younger each time they see me. I think it's my raw version of the specific carbohydrate diet causing so many benefits, as far as aging and just looking healthy.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:36 am »
I noticed my skin does not get as dry as it used to be.  I only used lotion maybe a dozen times this winter.

Use Traders Joe toothpaste and deodorant.  From fall to spring I take shower every 3-4 days.  And I work in the office.

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:42 pm »
Anyone knows of a natural fat-free solution for washing hair?

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »
Love your idea, Ioanna!  :)

I am using all organic make up so far but I am going to try out the charcoal stuff. Have you tried it yet? For water soluable mascara could one mix the charcoal with water only?

I do not get dry skin if bathing only in the river.. but I do when I shower. The water is hard here, from own well and makes the skin dry out pretty bad. What I do is, right after the shower when still wet skin, I use lots of EVOO on the places that tend to dry out. Coconutoil should be great too! That helps a lot, for me at least.

Anyone knows of a natural fat-free solution for washing hair?

I have been using Ghassul mud for many years and I love it....  :) best shampoo ever! Makes the hair a little fuzzy maybe..lol like this;

but I am ok with it. Great for washing the skin too! I love love to wash with mud.. it is just so.. huh.. fun!
I use zero additional hair products, and I was a big user of sprays and stuff 10 years ago! So happy to get rid of all those chemicals.. I have pretty thin hair genetically so it want never get thick, but it is pretty healthy, even if using hair dryer every day for all my life.. -[ Too bad about the EMFs, I tested my dryer and it was horrible. Horrible. Made me use it only in emergency situations from now on.

In summer I make a amazing conditioner with horsetail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense, nettles, fresh lemon with peel and all, EVOO, one eggyolk and a bit water into the mixer, let it sit for a hour or so.. the best thing ever for my hair! And cheap. Now I get no horsetail because the snow is still present here but soon I will, and then I can start making the conditioner weekly.

If I want some additional color on my face I sometimes use chaga tea, it has pretty strong color so use only little.. Now I have already gotten some tan so I do not need it anymore. But I bet it is awesome for the skin too! Sometimes I put it on for the night.

Our sheep got lambs last week and I milked some colostrum and put on my face too...lol could not hurt!

I wonder how to make natural lipstick? Anyone tried something? With close to natural color please.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:02:55 pm by Inger »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
i forgot to mention that one about lipstick... for color try beet root powder, so you could mix the beet root powder with maybe coconut oil or a beeswax-coconut oil blend.  you could also just keep beet root in the fridge. when you want to use it, just cut a piece and apply to lips for color.

and for hair mousse: beat an egg white until stiff peaks form, voila! i've tried this one, it works! just don't use too much more than necessary because it excess creates white dandruffy look in the hair.

going to try your mud shampoo and your conditioner, inger :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05:20 am »
I am using all organic make up so far but I am going to try out the charcoal stuff. Have you tried it yet? For water soluable mascara could one mix the charcoal with water only?

i haven't tried it yet, though i do have the ingredients. i don't wear make-up on a daily basis, so i just haven't had a chance to try it yet.  i would think water and charcoal would work just fine too.  let me know if you try it.

i think it was van that posted once about using clay for shampoo and soap. is this what your mud shampoo is like?.. something dry?... or it's a paste/mix? 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 05:26:00 am »
I love dr bronners soap to lather up the hair and then a rinse of apple cider vinegar, my hair is soso nice and shiny after this.

mm I have used mud soap in the past, its amazing, I have a few mud bars that I don't use, I just use a body brush and a wash rag.

if I use anything on my skin its coconut oil, olive oil or dr. bronners lavender lotion, very basic ingredients

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:25:50 pm »
Thanks for sharing your success with using clay to wash your hair, Inger. After reading that, I looked it up on Youtube to see how to do it and a Youtuber claimed that it thickened and straightened her hair and permanently got rid of her dandruff after just 3 applications.

After just 1 application, my mother visited and said that my hair looked thicker and darker. After 3 applications (and I used a lot more mud in my 3rd application), I did notice that my hair thickened and straightened and looks cleaner longer, but so far I haven't noticed any additional help with remaining stubborn dandruff beyond what the fermented honey already does. Both the red Rhassoul clay and green clay seem to work with thickening and cleaning the hair.

In contrast, baking soda left my hair limp, flattened and dry, and with an unpleasant feel, and made it look paradoxically more greasy and in need of a wash after using it than before.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:38:06 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:47:16 pm »
PP, recipe and instructions please  ;D

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »
Rhassoul Clay
This is the vid where I got my info and it seems to work for me so far.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »
I've been using rhassoul clay on my hair ever since Inger mentioned it on this thread, and I like it. I have seen other women at the bath house putting rhassoul clay all over their bodies as part of their shower routine. What I like about it is that it pulls dirt and oil without drying or stripping the skin. I never use shampoo in my hair, and I rarely use soap on my body.

My beauty supplies are glycerine, baking soda, coconut oil, jojoba oil, a few kinds of clay. I also use an Italy cloth for scrubbing after an Epsom salts soak. This items serve to clean my hair, skin, and teeth.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:45:13 am »
how frequent are the clay hair washings?  once a day? once a week? 

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »
I did every day for years.. but lately I do every other or so. My hair easily get greasy me thinks but it might be because I have washed it every day for so long. I want to try to stretch it to every 3 day wash but it is hard as a waitress.. I no way can work with dirty hair..huh! And after a day of work in the restaurant I kind of have to wash my hair because it get smelly from the cooking.. I do not like that at all either.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:26:20 pm »
When I stopped using shampoo (any lathering hair wash), it took a few months for my scalp's oil production to calm down. That was many years ago. I went from daily shampooing to once every two weeks in winter, plus water-only rinses in between (when I'm sweaty). I have long, very curly hair, so when I use clay, I use a slim-nozzled squeeze bottle hair-color applicator to apply a pancake-batter-like clay mixture to my scalp and smush it around. I don't apply clay to all the hair strands because I only want to pull impurities out of the scalp. It seems to me a waste of clay to apply it to the hair strands.

Glycerine is a good emulsifier that can suck up oil - you might experiment with that to see if it works in your hair. I've heard that glycerine is hydrating, and I've heard that glycerine is drying. I find it hydrating, cleansing, and soothing. I'm talking about plain glycerine, not glycerine soap (soap with added glycerine). It is the residue left behind when they make bars of soap.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:30 am »
do you use glycerine for skin too? or just hair?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:41 am »
I use glycerine and baking soda for skin. My hair gets washed with a concoction that has glycerine in it, along with other oils, the oils being the main part and the glycerine acting as emulsifier so the oils wash out. There is no recipe - you can improvise to suit your hair. I want to emphasize how much hair improves when shampoo is abandoned.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 09:19:00 am »
I used to promote Baking soda,,,  but have switched to bentonite used in the shower thick like peanut butter.   Haven't used soap or shampoo for about twenty five years.  With either bentonite or baking soda, if you have hard water, it's hard to get the salts and minerals off your hair and skin,, it binds a bit with hard water.  But, I do have a water distiller and it's amazing how soft my hair is when I rinse it with a pint of distilled water,, strips whatever is binding to the hair after rinsing.    I also only use virgin centrifuged coconut oil, on skin and hair.  Just a little on your hands and then running your fingers through your hair adds such a nice sheen and darkens the appearance of the hair.  People always ask ( on a good hair day ) if I dye my hair. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 05:36:51 am »
I used to promote Baking soda,,,  but have switched to bentonite used in the shower thick like peanut butter.
Yeah, that's when it really worked for me, when I used lots after watching a vid.

With either bentonite or baking soda, if you have hard water, it's hard to get the salts and minerals off your hair and skin,, it binds a bit with hard water.  But, I do have a water distiller and it's amazing how soft my hair is when I rinse it with a pint of distilled water,, strips whatever is binding to the hair after rinsing.
Thanks for the tip! The water is very hard here.

I also only use virgin centrifuged coconut oil, on skin and hair.
Same here. It's amazing how much better centrifuged CO is than EVCO, which I learned from wonderful folks like Michael (whose contribution is missed). I never would have believed it if I hadn't tried it.

Just a little on your hands and then running your fingers through your hair adds such a nice sheen and darkens the appearance of the hair.  People always ask ( on a good hair day ) if I dye my hair.
Interesting, thanks. That may be why my mother said my hair looks darker--I've been putting coconut oil, cocoa butter and suet on my hair to help control it (the clay is working even better), and eating lots of fat. I googled it and one person claimed that fats moisturize the hair and somehow thereby make it look darker.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:56:25 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:55 am »
ah, thanks van! i tried the clay on my hair, but it feels like it won't come out. it's not soft, it's gritty, but it looks as it normally does. i'll try rinsing with distilled water!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:17 am »
seriously try rinsing with apple cider vinegar, just a very light dilution, it makes the hair soso silky.  I know its counter intuitive but it restores the ph of the hair.  wash your hair like normal, quick rinse with acv and then rinse that out well.

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »
I always rinse my hair in the river after washing it, our well water here is very hard too and makes my hair not so nice.
I am going to try the applecider rinsing today...  :)

After my teacher in high school told that one can preserve flowers with glycerine.. I never ever used it anymore.. how can this be good.. I do not want to be preserved! I have read elsewhere too that it collects in the body.. and the teacher said it is true but it is so little. But I do not want even a little, huh

I use only coconut oil, EVOO, and argan oil on my skin, sometimes sheabutter too, it is great for dry hands and lips, in winter I use beeswax lipstick too at times.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 04:51:47 am »
Same here. It's amazing how much better centrifuged CO is than EVCO, which I learned from wonderful folks like Michael (whose contribution is missed). I never would have believed it if I hadn't tried it.
To clarify, I only use centrifuged coconut oil (not EVCO) of coconut oil products but I also use cocoa butter and suet on my skin and hair.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »
Continuing to have good success with the clay. The dandruff continues to gradually decrease and the flakes are getting smaller and the hair is still thicker and more manageable, though that appears to last only 2 or 3 days before I need a re-application. I noticed that the part of my scalp that has the least hair has had the best improvement, and that's the part that it's easiest to apply the clay to. Thanks again to Inger!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:44 pm »
Continuing to have good success with the clay. The dandruff continues to gradually decrease and the flakes are getting smaller and the hair is still thicker and more manageable, though that appears to last only 2 or 3 days before I need a re-application. I noticed that the part of my scalp that has the least hair has had the best improvement, and that's the part that it's easiest to apply the clay to. Thanks again to Inger!

Does shaving your head fix the dandruff?  I get it too, and shaving my head helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk