Author Topic: Raw Eggs  (Read 60119 times)

Offline lorenmark

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw Eggs
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:35 am »
Basically the subject says it all. I've never done it before, any pointers?

Also, looking to use the remaining ground egg shells in coffee and tea to neutralize the phytic acid content. My body appears to be super sensitive to phytic acid, but I really enjoy my morning caffeine - trying to have the best of both worlds. Anyone ever tried this?

I'd put dairy in my coffee or tea, although my body handles dairy horribly. I need something with calcium to neutralize the phytic acid so it doesn't pull minerals from my body.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:19 am »
I'd avoid the egg whites, unless they taste good to you. Yolks are where the good stuff is.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:02:39 am »
While it's true that yolks are the best part, egg whites also contain some good stuff. For example, raw egg whites are one of the few foods that contain all the major precursors necessary for your body to produce glutathione, the master antioxidant.

I've been eating whole raw eggs for years now without problems, and at this point both the whites and the yolks usually taste mildly sweet to me (I didn't care for the whites at first, except for the whites in duck eggs), but I buy the best quality local eggs I can get. My favorite for taste is raw duck eggs, but I buy mostly pastured chicken eggs, including some fertile eggs (which reportedly contain less avidin), when they're available.

Since this is a raw forum, you're probably not going to get a lot of coffee and tea tips here. I usually add Kerrygold butter when I drink coffee or black tea, but it's not considered raw Paleo, of course (though I buy the lightest beans I can find and don't heat the hell out of it).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:24:41 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:46 am »
Finding good eggs can be tricky, so I often do without. I absolutely will not eat eggs from cornfed or soyfed hens, even if they say "organic" on the label, which would indicate no GMOs. When I do find good eggs, they costs about $8 to $10 per dozen. I am an egg-yolk eater. A good egg yolk tastes so good I can barely stand the ecstasy.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline lorenmark

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:29:14 am »
Thank you for the pointers guys.

I've yet to be able to find GMO free eggs... I think all of them have at least corn or soy.

After doing a bunch of research last night, I'm going to give up caffeine. I believe I may actually have an allergy to it and it may be the cause of my eczema and other auto-immune issues. I also read that overtime it eats away at the mucosa barrier of the digestive wall, which I believe is strongly associated with auto-immune issues.

Do you guys ever worry about calcium on a raw paleo diet? I guess it's not a problem as long as you can get raw dairy. I know Loren Cordain states you don't need nearly as much as the modern RDA states, although I'd be interested to hear y'alls take.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:34:13 am »
I eat eggs daily. Max one at a time. In the beginning I ate a few at a time, but now I just poke a couple of holes in the shell and suck it all out. Tastes fine.

Regarding tea/coffee and other hot drinks, give them up if you want to be comfortable. Alternatively, do not boil the water.

One other possibility is to add fresh cardamom (green) to it as it somehow neutralizes the bad effects of it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:28 am »
Do you guys ever worry about calcium on a raw paleo diet? I guess it's not a problem as long as you can get raw dairy.

It's rather not a problem as long as you avoid Neolithic and modern foods. Dairy consumption is Neolithic and even a few decades ago there were still large populations in South West Asia, Africa and Oceania who never consumed any dairy.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:08:11 am »
Dairy consumption is Neolithic and even a few decades ago there were still large populations in South West Asia, Africa and Oceania who never consumed any dairy.
You seem to like your anti-dairy rant Iguana.  ;)

There are also large populations that have consumed dairy for a very long time. Some people do well with dairy and some don't. This person seems to not do well with dairy, so they should avoid it.

Bearing in mind that putting dairy in a hot drink renders it no longer raw if indeed it was in the first place. Non-raw or pasteurized milk will be more likely to cause issues than raw dairy.
Cheers
Al

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:23:28 am »
No, Raw-al. People are free to drink milk from animals if they like, even when they are adults! But as this is a raw Paleo forum I have to remind contributors that dairy and animal milk consumption is recent on the evolution timescale and therefore not paleo.   ;)

This is so obvious that I wonder why so many posters relentlessly keep on touting milk and dairy here.   
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:58:11 am »
... it may be the cause of my eczema and other auto-immune issues. I also read that overtime it eats away at the mucosa barrier of the digestive wall, which I believe is strongly associated with auto-immune issues.
Yeah, I think anyone who has autoimmune issues should probably try doing a super-strict autoimmune diet for at least a month, based on my experience and others. You can always add foods back in later, one by one, testing each as you go. My immune system has gradually calmed down some over the years and I'm tolerating more foods than I used to.

You may get grief from friends/relatives/bloggers/... for it, with today's worries about eating disorders, "orthorexia", etc., but I found that the health benefits were worth the getting hassled about it, and when I later added back foods I found I could tolerate, most of the worryworts relaxed some when they saw that. In my case I also had test results I could show them if they doubted I had an autoimmune issue and an elimination diet was actually prescribed for me, which I found satisfied folks who feel that a therapy is only safe if prescribed by someone in a white coat (though I found that my own personal testing of foods was vastly more effective than the prescribed diet based on the test).

Do you guys ever worry about calcium on a raw paleo diet? I guess it's not a problem as long as you can get raw dairy. I know Loren Cordain states you don't need nearly as much as the modern RDA states, although I'd be interested to hear y'alls take.
Other raw Paleo sources of calcium include marrow, greens, small bones and raw bone broths (there's a thread on that) .

Most concerns about calcium relate to bones. Collagen protein and phosphate are also important components of bones and there are important cofactors to calcium like vitamins D and K2 and other minerals like magnesium and zinc, but hardly anyone talks about them (other than vitamin D) because the dairy industry doesn't have a profit interest in those.

Another option is to try to improve the gut microbiota. Beneficial microbes tend to calm the immune system down, per the Old Friends Hypothesis and recent research. I find this much more difficult to achieve than improvement via dietary effects, unfortunately.

There are still other therapies that reportedly calm and improve the immune system, most of which involve hormesis or relaxation, such as cryotherapy, meditation and relaxation techniques, sunlight, quality sleep, etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:06:21 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 06:07:32 am »
No, Raw-al. People are free to drink milk from animals if they like, even when they are adults! But as this is a raw Paleo forum I have to remind contributors that dairy and animal milk consumption is recent on the evolution timescale and therefore not paleo.   ;)

This is so obvious that I wonder why so many posters relentlessly keep on touting milk and dairy here.   
I am not touting anything, I simply stated that some do OK on it and some do not.

As far as the paleo part goes, those boundaries have evaporated, as pottery has been found dating back 20,000 years.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 06:11:29 am »
Not many folks eat or gnaw on bones these days, and few eat grassfed bone marrow (and the calcium content is reportedly very low, though I suspect it helps in other ways, such as via K2), so I can understand some concern about calcium, even though it's probably overblown. I have a friend from a more traditional culture and I was astonished to see her chew up and consume bones. I asked her if it damaged her teeth and she said no. Sure enough her teeth are gleaming white and healthy. Granted, the bones were made softer by cooking, but I now think that it actually helps, rather than hurts, dental health, though it may wear down the surfaces a bit.

Alternatively, do not boil the water.
That's a good point, most folks don't know that you don't have to boil coffee or tea to make it, though some are aware of "sun tea." And you sure don't need to keep a pot of coffee constantly on for hours, so that it's always hot, as is commonly done at cafeterias and restaurants. I'm curious what the levels of heat-related toxins are in coffee that has been kept super-hot for hours like that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:21:51 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:21:17 am »
coffee is one of the worst drugs I have ever done. I could feel it wrecking my body right away. Thats not to say it cant be used medicinally sometimes like in coffee enemas. I think stuff like that is unnnecessary but some people may want to force things and thats cool too. Drinking it every day is highly advised against though.

I dont really like drinking eggs by themselves. I have a bout 8 a day though in delicious smoothies. Do 4 eggs some butter honey and any fruit you want and you quickly and deliciously taken in 4 eggs and a bunch of other great stuff.

I love my shakes.

-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:21:49 am »
and have you tried raw dairy?
-----------

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »
I take in powdered egg shells for calcium.  I get pastured eggs from a farmers' market. That is about the only way to get eggs shells that do not have chemicals on them.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:34 pm »
I am not touting anything
It’s not especially about you, there are plenty others. Almost the majority of posters on this Raw Paleo Forum are dairy proponents, which is nonsensical unless we change the name of the forum to “Raw Neo Forum”.

I simply stated that some do OK on it and some do not.
And then what? Some do OK (at least for a while) on white refined sugar, coffee, cigarettes, bread and cooked grain fed meat. Long term consequences take a long time to appear…  ;)

As far as the paleo part goes, those boundaries have evaporated, as pottery has been found dating back 20,000 years.
Perhaps, in some places, I don’t know. Domestication of animals happened a few millenary after the invention of pottery, it seems, and not everywhere. Anyway, whether it is 20,000 years or 10,000 years doesn’t change the order of magnitude against the duration of mammal’s evolution on Earth which is in the order of hundreds millions years and against the 6,000,000 years separating the hominid branch of the apes branch. 

and have you tried raw dairy?
Yes. Raw milk, raw butter, raw cheese were part of my diet during more than 30 years, with an interruption when I lived in Polynesia. My health had greatly improved during this stay on Pacific Islands, but at the time I wasn’t aware that it could have been be due the absence of dairy.

Moreover GCB and family were drinking raw milk at the beginning of their experiment with all raw nutrition. They even bought a goat to have their own, controlled, source of milk after having noticed infections and other health problems during the alternative periods in which they drank raw milk. But their own perfect raw goat milk triggered the same problems.

http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/articles/dairy-food-articles/

Please keep your promoting of dairy confined into the “Primal diet” section and let’s talk about raw eggs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:19:02 pm by Iguana »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »
I am not touting anything, I simply stated that some do OK on it and some do not.

please tell me more about this pottery. Iv always been suspicious of mainstream claims of when and what paleo time were
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »
I was asking the original poster if he tried raw dairy.
 I also didnt know that eggs were considered paleo by you. Theyd probably be only be a bit less rare than killing an animal with milk,
-----------

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:55 pm »

It should also be mentioned that mastery of fire is generally dated around 400,000 years ago, thus according to such reasoning we should be even much more perfectly adapted to grilled food — and to cereal grains as well since cereals cultivation very likely predates animals domestication.

I was asking the original poster if he tried raw dairy.
I also didnt know that eggs were considered paleo by you. Theyd probably be only be a bit less rare than killing an animal with milk,

I didn’t know who you asked but I answered anyway about my personal case, which I thought could be of some interest to you and others.

All kinds of eggs are found in nature where it has not been depleted by men. Sea turtles eggs for example are very easy to get, about 100 or 120 at once in a nest. Those turtles have become endangered species since men have killed most of them.

Killing a female wild animal and sucking a little bit of milk from her must indeed be a remarkable circumstance: I guess even more unusual than finding a carcass grilled by the lava of a volcanic eruption or by a forest fire started by a lightning.

Offline lorenmark

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:54:09 pm »
The only raw dairy I've been able to get is unpasteurized cultured cheeses, which my body didn't seem to handle all that great. With that being said, after I do consume a dairy product, my body becomes extra lean and hard which makes me wonder if I'm getting enough calcium.

I'm on day two of no caffeine, and the redness in my joints on my hands and feet have greatly reduced.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
My coffee "experiment" ended quickly due to an arthritis flare-up, even though I was using good coffee and cold-brewed methods.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 11:17:15 pm »
please tell me more about this pottery. Iv always been suspicious of mainstream claims of when and what paleo time were
I heard about it in an audiobook (I forget the name) (the book wasn't paleo tho...  ;D )

It was about South America, I believe the Amazon region. An author had gone there in search of a white British explorer, who had died in questionable circumstances around the beginning of the 20th century. (maybe he drank some milk and died) LOL

When there, he happened upon an archeologist who had found remnants of an ancient city in the jungle. The guess was that the conquistadors had spread their fatal disease to the locals and the whole civilization had collapsed in disease, leaving only a few people to survive in the jungle. These aboriginals are still there in this hostile environment, living in small family groups, which have been written about on this site.

The upshoot is that the stories that the returning Conquistadors told of a Golden City, large beautiful Amazon women warriors, etc may have been true.

No obvious visible remnants were left, because the cities were overrun with jungle in a very short time. Evidence of bridges, roads, etc built in a north/south/east/west grid were found, indicating an advanced society.

I suspect that there is more to history than the feeble attempts at explaining it that issue from the "out of Africa model". This model has quite a few holes in it that get conveniently swept under the rug, in order to keep the story straight.

These peoples had domesticated animals, but they were smarter about it and kept them outside, so they did not breed disease in shelters like the European model did.

Archeologists sound so intelligent when they make up their guesses about history. The fun part is reading the latest reports, that refute the earlier guesses.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:38:42 pm by raw-al »
Cheers
Al

Offline lorenmark

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 12:12:56 am »
My coffee "experiment" ended quickly due to an arthritis flare-up, even though I was using good coffee and cold-brewed methods.

I believe my arthritis is highly correlated with my other autoimmune issues, I wonder if caffeine is the underlyig cause...

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 01:52:22 am »

Have you tried decaf coffee to see if that causes problems too?  To see if it's JUST the caffeine, or maybe it's also the coffee?  My mom has carpel tunnel and I think arthritis too, and she drinks lots of coffee and coke, which I have been trying to convince her to stop drinking to no avail.  But at least here is one more thing I can use to try to convince her.  Even so, she still has the mentality that, "Oh, just a little won't hurt," so she thinks drinking half a cup of half-decaf coffee every morning will be fine.. sigh.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline lorenmark

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 02:57:27 am »
I switched to green tea from coffee a few weeks ago and my arthritis persisted, so I think it really is the caffeine or another molecule present in both coffee and tea causing, or exacerbating the problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk