Author Topic: How much fish can one safely consume?  (Read 8925 times)

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
How much fish can one safely consume?
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:34 pm »
I am talking about small fish, like sardines, sockeye salmon (wild alaskan native), shellfish, clams

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How much fish can one safely consume?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:14:57 pm »
Reason I am asking is because I feel incredibly good when I consume these fish

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:07 am »
anyone?

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:06 am »
Eat as much as you want of it until you dont want any more.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:45:35 am »
Eat as much as you want of it until you dont want any more.

Pretty much.

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 03:09:24 am »
As long as it tastes good --> keep on going.

In my experience it is easier to digest fish than meat. Furthermore, fish is more often attractive to my body / taste than meat. Maybe this is a evolutionary thing (fishes were much earlier on this planet than mammals).

my english sucks? i am aware of it!

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:35:53 am »
As long as it tastes good --> keep on going.

In my experience it is easier to digest fish than meat. Furthermore, fish is more often attractive to my body / taste than meat. Maybe this is a evolutionary thing (fishes were much earlier on this planet than mammals).

Not sure how true this is, but supposedly humans brains became bigger because their was a period of time where we lived near the ocean and consumed tons of fatty fish.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 07:03:09 am »
These are the sardines I consume:
http://www.drvita.com/p-8094-wild-planet-wild-sardines-in-spring-water-4375-oz.aspx?CAWELAID=1916423247&catargetid=1920411378&gclid=COvX6uzT5LcCFa9fQgodKWAAHg

Also, I consume wild caught sockeye salmon (alaskan variety) from costco. Is that safe?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 09:32:40 am »
These are the sardines I consume:
http://www.drvita.com/p-8094-wild-planet-wild-sardines-in-spring-water-4375-oz.aspx?CAWELAID=1916423247&catargetid=1920411378&gclid=COvX6uzT5LcCFa9fQgodKWAAHg

Also, I consume wild caught sockeye salmon (alaskan variety) from costco. Is that safe?

Is there any particular reason why you are asking this forum about the safety of eating cooked fish? Are the salmon, shrimp, and clams cooked, too? If so, all that was said about eating to satiety would not apply to cooked food in the same way as it would to raw food.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57:47 pm »
Is there any particular reason why you are asking this forum about the safety of eating cooked fish? Are the salmon, shrimp, and clams cooked, too? If so, all that was said about eating to satiety would not apply to cooked food in the same way as it would to raw food.

crazy thing! tests, what are you doing? this forum is about raw foods!

my english sucks? i am aware of it!

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 02:55:04 am »

I eat the salmon raw. The sardines are cooked? I don't consume shrimp, but I have ate some clams before

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 02:59:23 am »
Not sure how true this is, but supposedly humans brains became bigger because their was a period of time where we lived near the ocean and consumed tons of fatty fish.

For your information:

http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fatty-Acid-Composition-and-Energy-Density-of-Foods-Available-to-African-Hominids.pdf
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 03:10:23 am »
I eat the salmon raw. The sardines are cooked? I don't consume shrimp, but I have ate some clams before

Yes, I see you said shellfish, not shrimp.

ANY canned food that does not need refrigeration is cooked at rather high temperatures in the process of canning. If it were canned raw, there would be a problem from anaerobic spoilage.

With fish, you can pretty much tell that a food is cooked from the texture of the flesh.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:01 am »
Yes, I see you said shellfish, not shrimp.

ANY canned food that does not need refrigeration is cooked at rather high temperatures in the process of canning. If it were canned raw, there would be a problem from anaerobic spoilage.

With fish, you can pretty much tell that a food is cooked from the texture of the flesh.

I wish I could find uncooked sardines

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 07:24:41 am »
I wish I could find uncooked sardines

Look in Asian markets. You will probably find 99 Ranch, Seafood City, and some Korean supermarkets in your area. If not, go down to Garden Grove or Rosemead. Make sure you ask for what you are looking for to find out if they ever get shipments of fresh, whole, small fish. More often, I find herring or several varieties of mackerel.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 11:41:01 am »
the notion that humans developed larger brains, based on food consumption, is silly.  the only way to effectively produce cranial swelling is to be hit in the head with a bat.  our caveperson ancestors inadvertently discovered this from hitting prospective mates on the noggin with a club, before dragging them off to the "love cave" by their hair.  surely you've seen this scenario depicted in cartoons from childhood. 

this also explains why current day females are intellectually superior to males, since it was they who were usually clubbed and dragged off during this period of human "development" (isn't this true, ladies?)...

;)

you should have little issue sourcing raw / uncooked fish and seafood.  eveheart is correct, the canned fish is heated.  i enjoy raw salmon, tuna, live raw clams, mussels, and oysters on a somewhat regular basis, all from the local whole foods, with no issues.  i've found i don't miss sardines anymore, as my tastes have most certainly evolved while i progressed with the raw diet...  now, most cooked foods are no longer even slightly tempting.  eat up, it's good stuff! 
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »
the notion that humans developed larger brains, based on food consumption, is silly.  the only way to effectively produce cranial swelling is to be hit in the head with a bat.  our caveperson ancestors inadvertently discovered this from hitting prospective mates on the noggin with a club, before dragging them off to the "love cave" by their hair.  surely you've seen this scenario depicted in cartoons from childhood. 

this also explains why current day females are intellectually superior to males, since it was they who were usually clubbed and dragged off during this period of human "development"

I laughed at this. Excellent argument. What's this type of point called? Slippery slope argument? I don't remember...

humor aside, I find almost all arguments for evolution to fall along the same category as this. They defy observation entirely. But that's for another thread.

tests, even ordering online and frozen is better than cooked.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 05:46:50 am »
Look in Asian markets. You will probably find 99 Ranch, Seafood City, and some Korean supermarkets in your area. If not, go down to Garden Grove or Rosemead. Make sure you ask for what you are looking for to find out if they ever get shipments of fresh, whole, small fish. More often, I find herring or several varieties of mackerel.
I have not called those specific korean markets, but the ones I checked with do have a lot of fresh (even live) seafood, but no sardines or anchovies

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 09:46:18 am »
Regarding the sardines that are canned... Since they are heated, does that mean the omega 3 content of the sardines has gone rancid??

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18:25 am »
I would bet omega 3 should be fresh and raw.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:42 am »
I am talking about small fish, like sardines, sockeye salmon (wild alaskan native), shellfish, clams
Only 2.5 you must consume. More than that and tsunami will come.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk