Author Topic: How long meat is good in Plastic bags without vacuum?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
How long meat is good in Plastic bags without vacuum?
« on: June 21, 2013, 02:26:17 am »
I ordered the meat and they send it yesterday in small plastic bags without pre-freezing (but with ice bags). Plastic bags are sealed, but not vacuum sealed.

But due to some reasons, DHL is unable to deliver it the today and telling me that I will get it tomorrow.

In total = 40+ hours.

I hope meat will be ok till tomorrow, but still I want to know for how many days meat in plastic bags stay good (i.e. botulism danger)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How long meat is good in Plastic bags without vacuum?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:36:37 am »
it should be fine.  just take it out of the bags immediately when receive it or put it in the freezer.  the stuff you refrigerate should return to smelling normal and normal color after a while in the open air.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:41:44 am »
unfrozen, i've found 2 days is good...  by day three or four, it sometimes seems to take on the beginnings of an unpleasant odor and slimy coating.  inspect, and maybe cut off any questionable areas, and store unsealed in the fridge for immediate / quick consumption.

i "dry off ", and repackage anything going in the freezer asap.  personally, i store meats in plastic during freezing, but occasionally find on thawing, the signs of freezer burn...  (many forum members store/freeze in glass).  thaw in the fridge, or open air, unsealed.  a "drying" type atmosphere is definitely going to be your friend.  i keep thawed meats between folded sheets of paper towel, and change out the "dressings" daily, to remove contact with the soiled and moist towels.  i've experienced no issues with keeping meats in this manner.  i portion my general meat cuts into approx 1/2lb parts before freezing, to consume approx 1/4lb at each serving.  4-5 days is the max i usually have thawed chunks of meat kicking around in the fridge, if i don't eat it daily...
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »
A lot of thanks to both of you.
I have got the packet and just finished it unpacking as per instructions above. Some packets I immediately freezed (1 pound packets). Remaining I opened and kept in the fridge. At beginning, there was little bad smell, but vanished when I aired it for couple of minutes.

Thanks once again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk