Author Topic: Vague question  (Read 35089 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vague question
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:41 am »
I just applied for a butchers assistant job. I will be going out to farms and killing cows and other animals for money. It will be a good experience to learn everything about the trade. Most of the animals will be grain finished but I will get to pick and choose from the scraps. They throw out barrels of parts,

I picked up two cows heads today.

I could feed a whole puppy farm with what these guys throw out( too bad its all corn finished)
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:23 am »
Accountants do need to use social skills judging from some other forums I've checked.

I still have no real idea what to do.  I feel empty.

The trouble is that if I do things I love, it likely won't work. For example, I love dogs despite not having had the opportunity to have a pet. Being a dog-breeder only really works well if one either has certain dogs running in dog shows or if one has a puppy mill where one treats the dozens of dogs like sh*t. Hmm, I suppose a dog breeder feeding his animals on raw might work(?) but would be bloody expensive. Most pet-owners don't care about their animals and happily feed their pets on kibble etc., so finding the right clientele would be damned difficult.

The breeder I bought my working line German Shepherd in my avatar picture came from East German and Czech lines. She cost me $1500 USD. The breeder is a business breeder and is full-time with her family. She is very well researched and knows what her clients want and works directly with them. Almost all her dogs (over 30) are imports from either Germany or Czech. The remaining non-imports are still from import lines. All titled (many with SCH3 or KKL1 titles). All have clear hips and DM free. She has been breeding for almost 20 years now she said, with (as far as I can tell) almost all of her litters being fully reserved before they are even born, even though they have a ridiculously high cost. She encourages raw feeding (how I got into it for my dogs and myself actually) and feeds her dogs raw as much as possible (tough with 30+ dogs, but they are still very healthy)

My point is, it's not impossible to see breeding as too small of a clientele, even if you are putting yourself into an elitist realm of breeding working line or show line dogs. The biggest problem I see is the initial investment would be very expensive. However, if you are in the right area, get to know the right people, word gets around. For example, in the 3 months I've owned my pup, I've already directed about 4 serious dog buyers her direction. I was a satisfied customer and want to see her continue to succeed, as I'm sure she will be my breeder for the rest of my life.

You could also train, if you have any idea where to go with that. A KKL1 dog (titling is done ONLY in Germany, it is the most prestigious title for a German Shepherd) like this one http://schraderhausk9.com/dino.htm can go for about $10,000 USD. Granted it takes years of training so that is a little impractical unless you can train many dogs as they grow. Also, being a breeder selling pups from a line like that... oh yeah... people will buy left and right. Also, I think there is more money and steady clientele in working lines than show lines, selling to police stations, farms for herding, guard dogs, PPDs, tracking, SAR, therapy dogs, etc., dogs will always be able to do certain jobs that humans can't do, so they will always be sold.

You could also have a big impact on the dog/human diet world, getting them away from kibble and other processed foods. My breeder links pages from Wai and I was so confused when I first read that he was talking about humans eating raw meat. Besides, feeding your dogs raw I GUARANTEE they will be some of the most beautiful dogs people have ever seen.

I'm a little passionate about dogs too. :D
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 06:30:52 am »
the raw pet food thing is definitely big in the states, definitely bigger then raw vegan or raw paleo for humans.  have you done research to see if there is interest or a market tyler?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:49:49 am by jessica »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 07:52:18 am »
Admittedly no.

Thanks for the massive info Dr D!   ;D  That's the sort of  detailed info I was looking for. Not sure if I could get the initial startup money needed for a year or two yet, but it's certainly an idea. Checking online, my local area does seem to grasp things like the BARF diet a bit, so some pet-owners here  might well value such raw-fed pets a lot.

Any more details of other startup ideas of the calibre of DR D? Thanks, I just love this forum. 

In the meantime, I do have this raw food e-book to do, but I realise that it will take a long time before I will be really satisfied with it. I don't want just another New-Agey diet book with simple illustrations and simple words, I want to present a book with lots of scientific references/data so that  people can be convinced to go raw on a logical, common-sense basis.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 07:56:13 am »
Tyler,

Make your business plan and projections run on a spreadsheet like excel.  If you can make it profit there then there is a chance it will profit in the real world.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 08:19:58 am »
TD, how would your social skills be if you were talking about BARF face-to-face with a dog owner? or if you were talking to a dog fancier about a breed he might buy from you? I'm guessing that you would never be at a loss for words in the right situation.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 08:43:49 am »
TD, how would your social skills be if you were talking about BARF face-to-face with a dog owner? or if you were talking to a dog fancier about a breed he might buy from you? I'm guessing that you would never be at a loss for words in the right situation.
Sure, but buying a decent dog is the problem, at this stage. Maybe later I will be able to afford it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:00 am »
the raw pet food thing is definitely big in the states, definitely bigger then raw vegan or raw paleo for humans.  have you done research to see if there is interest or a market tyler?

Definitely this. I read of many Americans feeding their dogs raw admitting whole-heartedly they feed their dogs better than themselves.

Admittedly no.

Thanks for the massive info Dr D!   ;D  That's the sort of  detailed info I was looking for. Not sure if I could get the initial startup money needed for a year or two yet, but it's certainly an idea. Checking online, my local area does seem to grasp things like the BARF diet a bit, so some pet-owners here  might well value such raw-fed pets a lot.

Also, check your area for how often and big trials are. The various types are schutzhund (I'm positive Germany is REALLY big on it and would value well-bred dogs, GSD, Doberman, and Rottweiler are the most common but Belgian Melanois are getting really big too), Agility, herding, tracking, and of course, conformation showing.

Any more details of other startup ideas of the calibre of DR D? Thanks, I just love this forum.

My mom is a florist in an area that doesn't have one for 90 miles in either direction. We do a lot of driving but she gets a lot of business. Not saying you have to be a florist, but just look for something that people like but isn't available in your area.

Probably a way to start dog stuff if you don't have a lot of money to invest into breeding dogs, is to read books on breeding/conformation/temperament of the breed youre most interested in. That should help build some working knowledge and passion for it, without much time/money invested. Also, find the circles of dog lovers, go to trials, talk with people and see who their breeders are, see if anybody feels like they are lacking in quality breeding in the area, perhaps even make friends with the breeder and say you want to get into it. The dog I linked is co-owned by three kennels. That dog is seriously one of the best GSDs I've seen in my life and the breeders knew it so they compiled their money and breed him to whatever females they think would be best bred to out of each ones respective kennels. That's a good way to invest; say you would like to co-own a stud with someone and will put the money and work down. That would be part-time of course but that's the joy of co-ownership, smaller investment, smaller return, but your foot is in the door.

I don't know what passions you have but think of whatever hobbies you like to do and find a way to make money, regardless of what people say. As a musician, I don't have to only gig live shows, I can teach privately, record, buy/sell instruments, there is digital music that's getting big, etc. It really comes down to what you love the most, and being creative. Talk to everyone around you about it 24/7 until they see you and say "oh here he comes, he's gonna talk about x." But that will get it out there and you can get responses.

In the meantime, I do have this raw food e-book to do, but I realise that it will take a long time before I will be really satisfied with it. I don't want just another New-Agey diet book with simple illustrations and simple words, I want to present a book with lots of scientific references/data so that  people can be convinced to go raw on a logical, common-sense basis.

In terms of your book, I've seen a lot of your posts and you're very good at including science and those type of "diet" or "nutrition" books have held the most weight for me, as opposed to ones based on theory. I found more help from Body by Science than Why we get fat, although both were awesome, but body by science had so much complete observation and ruling out alternatives.

Sure, but buying a decent dog is the problem, at this stage. Maybe later I will be able to afford it.

I would definitely try to co-own with one or more established breeders, which would allow you to build a kennel of bitches. Then after enough litters, buy your own stud and re-breed all your bitches. Then grow from there.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2013, 09:09:04 am »
If you look at aging countries such as Japan, dog / pet ownership is a sunrise industry. (pets are cheaper than kids they say) 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 01:29:45 pm »
If you look at aging countries such as Japan, dog / pet ownership is a sunrise industry. (pets are cheaper than kids they say) 

I think your right GS ( I can spot a business guy a mile away).

Always ask successful business people for business advice. Do not ask your friends or family what they think of your business idea. When you start a business you will realise the stress can be huge there is no end to the fighting for money, dealing with everyones issues and meltdowns. You will have people that will tell you' no you cant do this' 'you need this' and 'this and this license'.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having a dog farm a bit yuck. I'm not a dog owner and never would but I like them and like the one in Dr's photo.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:58:27 pm by wodgina »
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2013, 04:31:41 pm »
I'm afraid that the dog business is out, really. It was pointed out that I don't have a garden for the dogs, so, despite my having a very large flat, the dogs would chew up the furniture. I am not clearly a very  practical man.

Any other ideas? The big problem is that I live in a capital city so things like florists are rather too available here.

My hobbies are rather too limited. Yoga is all very well but my body-shape isn't suited so a job as a yoga teacher wouldn't work. I can't make a job out of rugby or whatever.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Wai Kai Zen

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Raw Knowledge and Experience
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:20 pm »
I think its important you find out for yourself what you want..
How you can do this?
Make 2 lists; one list of 10 qualities that you and/or others recognize about you, one list of the things you like in your life.
When you combine things your good at with the things you like then you got yourself a goal.

An example of some of my things:

Things I like                                                                                    Things Im good at

-diet (raw paleo)                                                                                        -coaching one on one
-attraction between man and woman                                               -talk in front of groups
-helping someone out                                                                             -never giving up
-going out                                                                                                   -motivate people
-explore new ideas                                                                                   -make friends
-humble people who strive to become better                                -working hard
-out of the box thinking                                                                         -being flexibel
-reaching goals others find impossible

Now I could go on with this.. but this helped me come to the conclusion that I want to help men find a partner in life.
Im also busy with a theory that connects diet with attraction.. and gonna do some more tests and observation on this.
I even know which organisation I want to join and Im preparing everything into perfection just so that these guys will take me seriously. Achieving this goal doesnt happen overnight. Its about putting hours into preparation.. could take a year, maybe 2.. who knows.. but working on the goal and seeing progress is what counts.
When I reach the goal Id be soo proud of myself.

Well.. sorry about the talk about me, but it is to give you an example.
Make them lists and itll help you set a goal.

;D
Reminder to myself:
Search for truth, not dogma.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:23 pm »
Well, if I did that, it would involve teaching others how to go rawpalaeo. But, in my current country, one cannot get involved in diets unless one is  a certified doctor or dietician. Other countries seem to allow nutritionists to appear with virtually no certification at all.

Any others have any suggestions?
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2013, 11:43:28 pm »
Is it giving medical advice that's not allowed, or claiming to be a dietician/nutritionalist/doctor without certification?

My first thought is to make up a title that isn't legally bound; food counselor, nutrition guide, something that technically won't get you in trouble because you aren't claiming certification.

the other thing is disclaimers; "the government does not approve of this practice and this diet has no guarantee to heal, cure, or treat any disease or disorder. This diet is for entertainment purposes only" or something stupid like that. On paper is all that matters, the rest you can simply guide people and let the results speak for themselves. Again, try it short term. See what you can do. Charge a little for meetings so you seem like an already successful businessman. Don't give the milk free, make them buy the cow. People will be less dismissive of a diet/lifestyle they had to buy to learn about.
-Dustin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2013, 12:12:30 am »
it wouldn't work. I need more social skills for that sort of thing anyway and the government really cracks down on this practice  unless you are really a certified doctor.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 02:24:22 am »
Back to the dogs again,,  in the US, dog walking is a very (or can be) lucrative business.  Probably would have to be a high end urban area where people with their busy lives don't have time to ....

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2013, 02:52:39 am »
Back to the dogs again,,  in the US, dog walking is a very (or can be) lucrative business.  Probably would have to be a high end urban area where people with their busy lives don't have time to ....

That is actually a great idea especially in L. town. Maybe start off doing it out of work hours to see the potential.

Albert Camus

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:38 am »
tyler, just throwing his out here, but you should do improv.  do they have that where you are? its just ridiculous interactive comedy that pretty much breaks you out of your social patterns, comfort zone and really helps to improve connections with others and also wit.

I am a damn clever person in person, and it helps, I can chop it up with almost anything, but its because I have a great deal of empathy and feel like I can connect and get into another persons situation, to know how to relate to them, improv is really great for improving these skills.  its also absolutely ridiculous, you cant judge yourself or others, its just about making people feel happy and laugh...just something to look into.

Offline Wai Kai Zen

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:24 am »
Instead of breeding dogs.. maybe just start some sort of advice agency that helps dog owners with raw paleo diet.
Doest cost a lot of money to start it up + you already have the knowledge and experience.

P.s. Not the best in grammar, but I hope u catch my drift.
Reminder to myself:

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2013, 04:58:20 am »
I fear that in this country, I would have to be a veterinarian in order to be allowed to dispense nutritional advice re dogs.

I've read online that dog-walking is rather poorly-paid. Unless, I suppose, I knew a few celebrity dog-owners  - fat chance!

Any other ideas welcome! I'm  a desperate man. Well, OK, there is that e-book on rawpalaeo but I fear it will bring in peanuts.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2013, 05:21:19 am »

There is a lot of money in waste removal In most big cities maybe you could start some sort of hygiene/sharps/cleanup/drug lab clean up business?

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2013, 05:33:39 am »

There is a lot of money in waste removal In most big cities maybe you could start some sort of hygiene/sharps/cleanup/drug lab clean up business?

Well, I gather there are a number of  truck removal businesses who offer to remove peoples' junk for nothing, but it's all sent up as a market. No idea re waste-removal, wouldn't I need some sort of certificate and a degree re drug-lab etc.?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:10:06 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 03:47:31 am »
 I am now a professional butcher. Going out to a farm Monday to assist in the slaughter, skinning, gutting , and hanging of two cows.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Wai Kai Zen

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 04:02:46 am »
I am now a professional butcher. Going out to a farm Monday to assist in the slaughter, skinning, gutting , and hanging of two cows.

Arent you also a stripper/poledancer?
Much respect man. U really go for what u want.
Reminder to myself:

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 06:39:26 am »

awesome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk