Author Topic: Wild snakes of the local river  (Read 10439 times)

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Wild snakes of the local river
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:23:44 am »
Here are some sources of food for some people of this region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunectes not sure which one of the four subspecies..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boa_constrictor

Next week, probably on saturday, I will meet one of the village elders who is supposed to know just about everything of this area.
I ll ask him about the flora and fauna and share knowledge in general with me.

I asked some locals to take me hunting with them but they refuse since "it is exclusively for men" heh
but they told me they will share the snake with me, if I want.

I noticed that the thought of eating fishes/seafood and also reptiles does not disgust me as much as eating herbivorous animals. I cannot stand their fleshes.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:29:37 am by Aura »

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
Re: Wild snakes of the local river
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:30:26 am »
i've been eyeing the python meat at the local butcher for many months (it comes frozen, from tawain i think), but i can't swing the $30/lb price tag...  especially knowing i can get this myself, for free, a short drive into the everglades...

please share what you learn!

"..and also reptiles does not disgust me ..."
btw, i think alligator is delicious!
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »
I certainly will!  ;)

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »
I've heard snake has a "fishy" taste. Looking forward to reading your experiences : )

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:14:18 am »
Hi guys,
like I have anticipated above, today I have been to Josia house, one of the elder that knows about the forest.

We talked for 3 full hours and we parted with the agreement that he would take to the primary forest once the rainy season ends (in about a month)..

I was very impressed by the amount of first hand experience he gathered during the years spent in the forest.

Here is his story:

The Chain saw and the Forest within – the drama of Josia.
[/size]

Several years ago, Josia was working for some illegal logging companies responsible for having chopped down most of the original forest in this region but also worked somewhere in the deep forests of Para´state..

He would spend weeks or months in the forest, living and eating from it, healing with plants, improvising, surviving wild and poisonous animals.. During this period of his life, he met with many souls telling him to stop doing that horrible job but he did not want to listen: trees were just inanimated "things" for him, therefore why not chopping then down and make some good profit out of it? After all, he  - like most of us - needed money to go on with his life..

Many times during his work - that roary chain saw in his hands - he would still hear a particular specie of trees scream while this merciless sharp blade cut its way thru their trunks  but never paid too much attention to it; "perhaps it is just a trick of the mind" he said to himself and his collegues, "a weird noise from the machine.."

Today, recalling those times to memory, he barely can keep tears away from his eyes. I can read into his eyes that he always knew those were the voices of the trees he was killing. Josia the man in his 40s, with a family to feed and a mortgage to pay, did not allow himself the time to feel that for every tree he cut, a part of him was also dying with it.
Despite being heavily wounded, tortured and mutilated, Nature continued to do its job of spreading forth the seeds of hope into the soil and a spiritual one must have surely gotten  into Josia´s heart, to finally blossom in a latter season of his human life.

It was only after he retired, in the apparent calm and monotonous daily routine that his love and respect  towards nature  - and especially about ancient trees - came to soothen the old, violent memories of those days back then when he could not value the generosity of the forest enough, when he could not freely abandon himself to that invisible, impalpable, unconditional love that kept him alive..

The old Josia needed help now, to escape from those terrible ghosts lurking inside his conscience. His weak body, his restless mind, his broken spirit - like those screaming trees - were crying out asking for Forgiveness.
And Nature once again came in to help,  to relieve the pain of his spiritual scars, just like when she physically healed the scars of his body with the woody skin of one of her tree- creatures.

Today the Josia I met is a man totally confident in the wisdom of the forest, that found total redemption in the arms of Mother Nature, that exclusively cures himself with homemade plant/bark/leaf extracts, oils, resins and tinctures/medicinal wines made with the gallbladder of the "paca" .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowland_paca

He gifted me with freshly squeezed copaiba oil http://www.experience-essential-oils.com/copaiba-oil.html, truly raw, no processing, extracted exclusively on a full moon night.

I feel profoundly honored.

He also knows several allucynogenic wild plants from the forest he drankt the tea to heal from poisonous bytes. He told me of a leaf that makes somebody vomit out just the poison, instantly relieving from any symptoms..

Josia thinks the best natural medicines are the most bitter ones and if a medicine does not taste bitter or make you feel sick/stoned for a while, he would not consider the drug effective..

Because in his philosophy Nature needs first to clean you out for good, "purging" the sick for having strayed from her, sending this sinner to its sensorial hell, burning its guts like flames would, then finally heals you, showing abundant mercy , just like a caring mother does with her sons.

I asked how did he learn all these things about plants and he said to me the Forest told him.
Everytime he would get lost, needed to renvigorate the body and the mind, he would lay on the ground with his forehead touching the soil and just wait for the knowledge/strenght to infuse the spirit and the fleshes. That if I want to energize by embracing a tree, I should choose the ones between 120-150 cm in diameter. The bigger trees have less energy, according to him.

During our chat he kept saying: "we (humans) die but never learn". Looking at his grandchild, he feels sorry for not having preserved intact that valuable body of knowledge Nature stored in its creatures. He is left with little or nothing to show him, to validate the truth of his words, making sound his real experience like a fairy tale -  hard  to say where reality ends and fantasy starts.. Memories of the big Great Forest from another world, vestiges of our once original Home.

All this  story saddened me a bit but also fueled me with new energy to continue in my pursuit of reclaiming my status of "earthling", accepting my "true nature", fulfilling the purpose I was created for; a vessel to hold divine Light from above.

Just like Josia, I feel the need to totally surrender my ego that like a hungry chain-saw is deforesting the wild spirit of Nature within me.

Gratidao, Josia.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:19:30 am by Aura »

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:07 am »
during the time my children were very young, i had told them that, "if you listen, you can hear the trees talking..."  we were spending much time out hiking, and communing with mother nature, they thought i was being crazy and silly.

a couple of years ago, my daughter said to me, "remember when you would tell us that the trees could talk?  i think i'm beginning to understand what you meant..."

i anticipate the day when i can reconnect with nature on a more meaningful level...  while my move to florida allows me to bask in, and appreciate her beauty and splendor, it has been difficult for me to return to the personal relationship we shared in previous years.  now, it's more like we "talk on the phone"...

your story is meaningful, and inspirational.  thanks for sharing.
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:54:28 am »
Beautiful story Aura, thank you for being where you are and sharing.  I am reading a book of the same tone...its called The Unlikely Peace at Cuchumaquic: The Parallel Lives of People as Plants: Keeping the Seeds Alive by Martin Prechtel.  It talks about how the seeds of nature are the seeds of human life, because they are also our heritage.  Through co creation with the whole planet we are related to every type of being, animate or not.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:36:03 pm »
how can I contact one of the elders in my area? How do I find american indian tribs in ym area who would take me hunting?

where did you find these people?
-----------

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:52 am »
how can I contact one of the elders in my area? How do I find american indian tribs in ym area who would take me hunting?

where did you find these people?

I think it is easier than you think.
Just look over the internet to find communities and get in contact with their representative and tell them you d like to visit.

I met some indigenous people just walking in the street and a local worker introduced me to Josia.

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:02:08 am »
Hi guys!
We just catched a "Pico de Jaca" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachesis_muta crawling in the garden.

Some locals eat it, by cutting away a palm from the head and a palm from the tail to ensure avoiding the venomous parts.
But than they cook it.

So, I want to eat it raw but everybody here is saying it is dangerous (for many reasons..)

Have you ever ate a raw poisonous snake? Do you think is it enough to cut away the extremities?  :P

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 02:56:23 am »
Are it's pupils in the shape of a diamond (like a cat) or a circle (like a humans)? I heard that only snakes with diamond shaped pupils are poisonous, but wiki says it's venomous. I can't see in the pictures but it looks like circle pupils.

I would imagine the meat is safe as long as where you cut doesn't destroy the venom glands contaminating the meat. It could be risky. There is a reason we don't eat spiders and other colorful bugs; poison.

Do the locals eat anything else raw?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 03:04:29 am »
Sure you can eat the flesh raw. There's no venom in the tail by the way.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 04:30:03 am »

I never ate a snake but I would agree, as long as the smell is attractive and the taste is good.
Does it smell? How do you perceive that smell? If you like the smell, be careful anyway: don't swallow immediately but keep a small chunk in the mouth and be ready to spit if a bad taste appears after a few seconds.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 06:31:57 am »
Are it's pupils in the shape of a diamond (like a cat) or a circle (like a humans)? I heard that only snakes with diamond shaped pupils are poisonous, but wiki says it's venomous. I can't see in the pictures but it looks like circle pupils.

They are circle.

I would imagine the meat is safe as long as where you cut doesn't destroy the venom glands contaminating the meat. It could be risky. There is a reason we don't eat spiders and other colorful bugs; poison.

Do the locals eat anything else raw?

They eat some raw seafood and serpent s eggs. The other meats are all cooked up with veggies and palm oil.

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 06:34:16 am »

Yes, but they are still a bit concerned about the small rattle tail..

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 06:40:10 am »
I never ate a snake but I would agree, as long as the smell is attractive and the taste is good.
Does it smell? How do you perceive that smell? If you like the smell, be careful anyway: don't swallow immediately but keep a small chunk in the mouth and be ready to spit if a bad taste appears after a few seconds.

So, I ate the snake.  8)
Around 1 kg of flesh.

It tasted and smelled nice!
 Felt sleepy afterwards though.. a bit absent-minded I d say..

Did not feel like overeating..
Do you think 1 kg is too much in a meal?

I cannot use cronometer to calculate the amount of nutrients in 100grs of serpent flesh! hah O0

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 07:24:52 am »
Ya thats more than I usually eat a day. Haha you were hungry after hunting eh? ;)
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 12:02:43 pm »
I can't believe you ate a bushmaster.  ROFL  I'm surprised the locals hunt and kill them.  They are very deadly.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »
Great ! So, if they weight 3 to 5 kg (according to Wikipedia), you ate about a quarter of it, didn’t you? What happened to the rest? Did the locals cook it? Did some of them saw you eating it raw? Was it hard to peel off the skin?

Do you think 1 kg is too much in a meal?

1 kg of snake meat is probably not much in 30 years of life… ;) But 1 kg of snake meat eaten at every meal during 30 years would certainly be a lot!  ;D

Snake is then a food we failed to include into our diet, something I still have to discover. But snakes in Europe are small and probably hardly worth the work to skin it. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:06:24 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »
Great ! So, if they weight 3 to 5 kg (according to Wikipedia), you ate about a quarter of it, didn’t you? What happened to the rest? Did the locals cook it? Did some of them saw you eating it raw? Was it hard to peel off the skin?

Do not know its weight but it was a 2 m long and "fat" heh
Yes, they took home the rest and cooked it. They saw me eating it there on the spot, right after we skinned it and fillet it.
BTW, the morning after I woke up and had some mucus and my body odour was ..how should I say  l), "intense"..
Does it happen also to you, guys?
It is unusual to me I believe because I m used to fruits and clear pees and almost no body odour at all..
It digested fine though.. My stools were right.
Certainly, a very powerful meal for me!

It was kind of weird to skin it but with their help, I managed it.
Should practice more often though heh

1 kg of snake meat is probably not much in 30 years of life… ;) But 1 kg of snake meat eaten at every meal during 30 years would certainly be a lot!  ;D

Well I do not eat fleshes often and my morning meals are always fruity, therefore I have PLENTY of space left for lunch! heh

Snake is then a food we failed to include into our diet, something I still have to discover. But snakes in Europe are small and probably hardly worth the work to skin it.

Guess so..

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:41 pm »
BTW, the morning after I woke up and had some mucus and my body odour was ..how should I say  l), "intense"..
It must have triggered exchanges of molecules: your body, finally receiving perfectly suitable proteins/fats would have expelled some flawed ones it had kept because there was nothing better available.  :)

Well I do not eat fleshes often and my morning meals are always fruity, therefore I have PLENTY of space left for lunch! heh
And plenty of empty storage space for animal proteins…  ;)

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 11:06:23 pm »
It must have triggered exchanges of molecules: your body, finally receiving perfectly suitable proteins/fats would have expelled some flawed ones it had kept because there was nothing better available.  :)
Yes, could be! Today is all gone. Was it too short for a proper detox?  ???
I d like to read more about this since on my natural hygiene/ fruitarian education I ve learnt that some foods CAUSE mucus, i.e polluting the body. Slightly different view.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 11:44:11 pm »
Yes, it can be due to improper food (farmed fish, meat or eggs from animals fed with heated food, wheat, cooked leftovers etc.) OR it can be due to detox. The only way to know is to be sure that the meat-fish-eggs are fine, that the animal never received any heated junk and had no access to human garbage.

http://www.reocities.com/HotSprings/7627/ggraw_eat2.html

o The facts themselves are disquieting, so much so that I had to give up explaining them in a traditional way. For instance, I noted that cats, that had previously been fed cow’s milk, vomited the first time they were given “initial” food_i.e. raw meat, raw fish, and even after eating field mice, which are, after all, their favorite dish. Now, cats that have always been given “initial” foods_raw meat, mice, avocados, etc_never vomit the first time they’re given raw fish. How else can one explain the discrepancy than to assume that a kind of poisoning is triggered by dairy products, which, in fact, cannot be called “initial” food.

_Don’t you think you’re jumping to conclusions?

o I only came to that conclusion after having observed what I’ve just said very many times. In medical terminology, such a phenomenon is known as intolerance or anaphylactic shock.
That reminds me of an unfortunate event from my salad days. My instinct initiates, who numbered but a few in those days, and myself had divided up among us a roebuck we had purchased from a hunter. This wild venison tasted heavenly to most of us, in spite of ever so slight a feeling of revulsion. The following day, my phone rang incessantly: Some of the roebuck enthusiasts had brought up their dinner during the night. My first thought was that the meat must have been contaminated and that their digestive systems had been ridding them of the toxins through vomiting. Another conjecture was that eating such a wild “initial” food set off reactions that were intricately bound up with previous poisoning resulting from cooking_the most logical interpretation being that the body was undergoing some rather unpleasant upheaval in order to cleanse itself.

_If, with your methods, beginners always start out vomiting...

o Don’t panic; those are rare cases, or, at least, somewhat so, as compared with the total number of people involved. The overwhelming majority of such reactions never get beyond a feeling of slight nausea_meaning that something is happening deep within the body, even if there are no other clearly perceived ill effects. Obviously, such reactions are responsible for the disgust people generally feel when they start eating raw food_especially for raw meat and raw fish. It would be highly instructive to know why the body reacts, in such a way, to foods which, by the looks of them, are not toxic.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:57:24 pm by Iguana »

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 02:27:25 am »
Thank you Francois!

I was thinking.. I did not eat the skin! The locals quickly discarded it and I went straight to the fillets! They were looking so rich!
Surely next time. 8)

Would you eat it?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 02:41:19 am »
Isn't a snake's skin very hard, too hard to be eaten? I only eat the parts tasting good  to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk