Author Topic: Vice article featuring Me  (Read 209769 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vice article featuring Me
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2015, 03:49:01 am »
Derek, Luke Sniewski spoke rather positively about you here... The host, Armi, was critical at first, but Luke really turned him around quickly. That was one of the most effective bits of persuasion I've heard on a podcast.

I haven't listened yet, but interestingly enough Luke is a graduate of Green Mountain College's Masters in Sustainable Food Systems Program. I happen to be one of the instructors in that program, and teach an online graduate-level course in Agriculture and Energy (SFS 6030). Small world...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2015, 05:30:16 am »
too bad she had to spit out what ever that was she was eating at the table.   Couldn't she had sampled something earlier to have gotten the courage before sitting down,, and then maybe eaten a simple piece of raw fillet or something benign?
I second that. That was appallingly unprofessional to just spit it out like that. I am sure that if she had tried the raw kidney for example that that would have been far more palatable to her. Then again, given her staged behaviour all-round,  I suspect that she was told to deliberately spit the raw meat out in order to be "in sync" with modern established so-called "beliefs" about the yuckiness/dangerousness of raw foods.

I saw a recent Daily Mail "experiment" of c. 6 diets, one of which was a raw vegan diet and the miserable old fool claimed to have gotten an infection during the raw vegan experiment  so that it turned out to be the worst diet he had ever tried of the 6 . If this congenital retard had bothered to do any research, he could have found out about detoxes and the like.

I am very proud of SB for this. Not many of us would have the balls to do a presentation like this and he came across well in the segment. What we need now, I guess, is some raw segment on CNN, Fox or some godawful show like Oprah.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:06:29 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2015, 06:08:08 am »
Having that spitter on the show was simply a production decision based on the program's target market. In this case, they were using an attractive girlish female who enhanced her girlishness with juvenile behavior such as making faces about the taste of food.

When Derek's fame skyrockets, he will be able to control the interviewer's tone as part of his contract. Right now, he has to accept the offers he gets.

Great job, Derek.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2015, 07:00:36 am »
Indeed. She is emblematic of the general woosification of the Western world and Derek stands in brave contrast against that. I like that he didn't show any sign that her behavior bothered him in the slightest and his face remained serene.

It reminds me of when Andrew Zimmern was grousing about stinkheads and a couple of Eskimo elders who were sitting with him just continued to eat the stinkheads with smiles on their faces, with one of them saying something like "yum, yum."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2015, 08:34:30 am »
I'm not too sure what the German doctor said, If someone could translate, it would be appreciated? The doctor from the other show was American. He said that although my labs were perfectly normal, that I was an isolated case and he could not draw any conclusions.

The female journalist, was a tool. She had a very cordial and professional front, but it was very clear to me that it was her mission to act grossed out . She wouldn't even try my lamb which was excellent.... the meat she ate was bought at a " grassfed" butcher shop that had sub quality beef that I don't even care for the taste of very much... but still she was over acting being grossed out.

The camera man was really cool about everything, he told me about traveling across Europe and eating raw meat dishes. He even tried a bite on my lamb(off camera) and said it was good.

Still waiting for the BBC show to come out, and will let everyone know as soon as I hear something.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:02 am »
Maybe 'next' time, you can mention and remention  foods like steak tartar and other raw meat prepared dishes, and even prepare your meats to look the same.  French cuisine is noted for being one of the most evolved and of course included are their raw dishes.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »
The German doctor  basically warned people not to imitate you. He also said:- " if I nourish myself with just meat, then I have the thought that there are essential parts that are important  for our organisms that are absent(in  your  diet).

Well, I watched the video again, and was truly disgusted as the woman was so clearly trying to disrespect you with pseudo-exaggerated revulsion. She has all the false hauteur and lack of feeling of a prostitute.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2015, 09:39:24 pm »
I really think that making our own YouTube (or Dailymotion, or Vimeo) videos is the way to go. That way we control how we're portrayed. In a recent online course I taught on Agriculture and Energy, one of the students' assignments involved designing for themselves a diet that they would eat for one day that delivered more edible food energy than it required as fossil fuel energy inputs. I made a YouTube video to explain the assignment (linked below) and noted specifically that eating mostly raw foods would make achieving an 'energy positive' diet easier. In the video I drink a half dozen raw eggs, and talk about other raw foods.

http://youtu.be/ZhQ2ni-zBoY
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:34:40 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2015, 12:13:05 am »
BBC.Eat.To.Live.Forever.With

The UK documentary has arrived, my piece is in there around the 38 minuet mark!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2015, 09:40:54 am »
Congrats. Giles Coren was reasonably open minded and polite, in contrast to some other media people. Interesting to see both him and your father acknowledge your good health.

Good also to see Bernando Lapallo again. He's quite likable and he's looking great at 113. What do you think of his diet and results?

This bit was funny:
Giles Coren: "What age does your desire for sex drop?"
Bernando Lapallo: "I don't know, I haven't lived that long."

So sad to see Coren falsely claim that Bernando's fruits, veggies and salmon are "not Paleo at all."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2015, 10:35:19 am »
I think Bernando was a practitioner of the paleo diet.... with fruits, vegetables, fish and the occasional lamb being the foundation of his diet, along with some supplemental green drink mixes. His avoidance of grains, refined sugars, artificial fats and the other foods which cause degeneration disorders must have played a role in his longevity as well.

I think its funny that the longevity expert doctor critiqued all the other profiled diets in the piece, but wasn't interviewed regarding my diet.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »
Even if it has a good scientific background*, the calorie restriction diet looked the worse  :P

I mean, they had to wear frickin' weight vest so as not to loose all their bone density, and do food-visualizing meditation to attenuate their crave to just down a bowl of onion-strawberry porridge!

I don't think anybody has to go to such lengths to enjoy the benefits of the CR diet. Respecting satiety and periods of absent appetite should be enough.

* http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3958810
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:01:09 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »
I didn't watch the whole episode, but I did watch your segment, Derek.  You seem to have really become much more comfortable in yourself, your demeanor is very calm and humble and physically you look much healthier, more vibrant, and very strong.  I like that the clip was very non sensational and matter of fact and that the gentleman doing the interview seemed respectful.  It's funny that your father notes that your health has improved but still cant believe that diet is (mostly) the cause...

I did see a little clip of a guy wearing a "grok" t shirt, i am guessing he was at one of the "primal diet" gatherings?  I thought it was silly he was wearing a hat and sunglasses out in the sun............dude......

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:59 pm »
I didn't watch the whole episode, but I did watch your segment, Derek.  You seem to have really become much more comfortable in yourself, your demeanor is very calm and humble and physically you look much healthier, more vibrant, and very strong.  I like that the clip was very non sensational and matter of fact and that the gentleman doing the interview seemed respectful.

Ditto from me! You are so credible - a perfect spokesperson for eating raw.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:16 pm »

I did see a little clip of a guy wearing a "grok" t shirt, i am guessing he was at one of the "primal diet" gatherings?  I thought it was silly he was wearing a hat and sunglasses out in the sun............dude......

You should look for the segment with Mark Sesson.... 33 minuets in Giles interviews him while in a hot tub, Mark proclaims his self a fat burning beast and goes on to explain a little about the fat burning metabolism .

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:22 pm »
I didn't watch the whole episode, but I did watch your segment, Derek.  You seem to have really become much more comfortable in yourself, your demeanor is very calm and humble and physically you look much healthier, more vibrant, and very strong.

He's always seemed that way to me since the first clip I watched of him with the paleo diet demo that was uploaded in 2012.

Anyway, cliffs about the first part of the show before Derek:

*chubby doctor telling fit guy that he's too fat based on BMI (nothing wrong with her chubbiness, but come on)

*vegan calorie restriction health guru's wife with sunglasses on 24/7, even in her own home

*67 year old vegan calorie restriction health guru looks very sick and weak besides mentally unstable and immature (says he still is a little boy, and kind of acts like one), tells guy that his skin looks better 4 days after trying vegan calorie restriction, when in fact he looks thrashed, and actually looks more like the health guru (sick and weak) than he did before

*Mark Sisson seems to be more into ketosis now than he was in the past from what I remember.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:44:03 pm by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2015, 07:06:21 pm »
Saber did you know about this?

Your lifestyle is presented in one of Rhett and Link's quite popular "Good Mythical Morning" show:

5 People Who Only Eat 1 Thing

(They talk about you starting at 6:25 in the video)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:14:08 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:39 pm »
Well they decided that SB's example was the weirdest, which was absurd. I mean the other examples included people either eating only ramen noodles with chicken sauce, eating only french fries or eating only cheese pizza. And SB is NOT eating "only one food" but all the different raw animal organs  as well.
" Ron Paul.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2015, 10:59:34 pm »
Well they decided that SB's example was the weirdest, which was absurd. I mean the other examples included people either eating only ramen noodles with chicken sauce, eating only french fries or eating only cheese pizza. And SB is NOT eating "only one food" but all the different raw animal organs  as well.
It doesn't really matter to the average person. To them "raw meat" is just one type of food, as they rarely get to know the variety inherent to it.

You know how Eskimos have dozens of ways to describe "snow", when the rest of us rarely uses more than one or two words?
That's because it is much more a part of their daily life than it is to us, therefore they may better acknowledge the variations of snow that may seem too subtle for us, but more obvious to them.

The average person might find a raw meat diet to be weirder than a fries-only or cheese pizza-only diet because they get to eat the latter from time to time, and never the former. So they can better relate to the "one-cooked-food" people. I mean, how many (non-RPDieters) people do you know eat raw liver or raw sheep meat...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:10:45 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:41 am »
Actually, more than you might expect. For one thing, raw liver is a traditional Lebanese dish. And, over the years, I have come across several people who mentioned, in passing, that they happened to eat  mostly or wholly raw RVAF diets, even if they did not personally view themselves as being rawpalaeodieters or raw animal foodists. Granted, though, most people would view raw meat as being the weirdest. I just meant that, aside from the media-driven needless bacteria/parasite scares, raw meat is way more nutritious than ramen noodles  or cheese pizza or french fries, even from the stand-point of a cooked-foodist.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:55 am »
Saber did you know about this?

That was how I first learned about sabertooth, and thought it was super cool. Although I had known about AV for several years prior.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2015, 10:08:47 am »
http://www.vice.com/read/its-now-seven-years-since-this-guy-ate-anything-besides-raw-meat

New Vice article is causing some interest, a producer from the Doctors wants to talk to me about a possible appearance on the show.

Here is part of the forwarded email...
"Thank you for sharing your email with me. My colleague and I saw your article in Vice about Derek Nance and found it super interesting. We work for The Doctors, a daytime medical talk show, and are interested in possibly doing a segment on him. Could you put me in contact with him?"

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:52:16 am by sabertooth »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 18, 2015, 10:58:55 am »
http://www.vice.com/read/its-now-seven-years-since-this-guy-ate-anything-besides-raw-meat

New Vice article is causing some interest, a producer from the Doctors wants to talk to me about a possible appearance on the show.

Here is part of the forwarded email...
"Thank you for sharing your email with me. My colleague and I saw your article in Vice about Derek Nance and found it super interesting. We work for The Doctors, a daytime medical talk show, and are interested in possibly doing a segment on him. Could you put me in contact with him?"

I hope it goes well. We'll have to stop acting like jerks around here if you get on that show. LOL

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 18, 2015, 11:39:52 am »
Wow. Vice is kind of a big deal. Cool.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 18, 2015, 12:53:20 pm »
I had a feeling that a lot of meat in Europe wasn't as good as here, however I have had really good fatty acorn finished ham in Spain that tasted better than salmon and I am sure there are many good places to get good meat there. The ability of parts of the Netherlands and a few other places in Europe to grow cool season grasses (most of the food that grass fed livestock in America eat) far surpasses what is possible in the majority if not entirety of America. The pastures of the Netherlands rank among the best in the world along with New Zealand and parts of Australia. Also I'm not a soils expert but I would entertain the notion that the Appalachian Mountain Range has quality of soil more similar to much of Europe than to the rest of the United States.

You didn't eat any good horse meat in France? They cut off most of the fat here too, it's super hard to find good fat in America.

Lol I just got to the bottom and read you want to go to Australia or NZ haha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk