Author Topic: Price check on Meat  (Read 13758 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Price check on Meat
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:02:29 am »
Hmm,  one possibility would be to eat raw pork, the trouble being finding  raw, grassfed pork, as Muslims and Jews both oppose eating it. Muslims, at any rate, form a large part of the world population. Plus, Hindus are pretty vegetarian due to religious leanings so I doubt they will contribute much to rising meat prices.

One good thing:- I have noticed  no rise whatsoever in prices for raw wild game!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »
Thanks for the pork idea, and I would be all for it, except that beef tends to be cheaper than pork in my area, when comparing comparable cuts/types of meat (such as ground pork vs. ground beef). Plus, pork fat tends to have more PUFA, due to what they tend to feed the pigs.

Another article about the price increases, and this one even specifically mentions Paleo:
Paleo Dieters Suffer as Panera Fights Protein Price Jump
By Leslie Patton and Megan Durisin  Jun 18, 2014 5:09 PM ET
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-18/paleo-dieters-suffer-as-panera-fights-protein-price-jump.html

Eating like a caveman is getting costlier.

That’s dour news for the growing number of Americans adopting diets that mimic the eating habits of their hunter-gatherer ancestors. ...
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:54 pm »
Grass fed is way cheaper, however the more cows you have the less labor per steak. This is normal for the conventional industry but organic/grass fed is usually much more small scale. I feel certain that at a large scale grass fed beef is the least labor intensive and cheapest calorie in the human diet. What makes cows efficient is not their ability to produce meat. They have two incredible advantages, one is that they can convert extremely low quality desert and tropical forages  few other animals could live off of into a calf, all while not dieing and two a growing or milking cow can convert lush high nutrition forages into more meat per day per animal than any animal and milk more milk than any animal.

Americans favor the cow because our culture is continuously moving ease and convenience and there is just less labor in dealing with cattle than there is in pigs, sheep and chickens or even milking goats.

North America is in an odd position when it comes to beef. Probably the biggest part of why it is so hard for us to compete on the world market is that the majority of our continent is not the ideal place for raising herds of beef cattle. Breeding cattle to produce calves is not very efficient land use. Especially like in North America we have long harsh winters that often necessitate winter feeding which is the most cost intensive part of beef production. They cannot produce like a pig or a chicken or even a sheep. However they can produce on land that the other three cannot. So where land is cheap because of low fertility and low precipitation or where forage is extremely plentiful and course due to high rainfall and heat cattle will dominate.

So China, Argentina and Brazil are more natural beef havens.

The beef industry in America has actually long been propped up by the cheapness of grains. Now that grain production has become so expensive the people who grow the cheapest grass will have the best beef economy.  The best hope for North American beef is the increased use of winter pastures and the shunning of hay making equipment.

I also predicted the terrible price increase of meat and animals. Beef is higher then ever, I heard about cow calf pairs selling for 3200 at auction. Worthless cull cows sell for around 1000.

I was blessed this year with 3 heifers and a bull so far, which brings me up to 10 females, all my herd is worth over 15'000. We survived the overall coldest winter in the history of Michigan!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:34:26 pm by RogueFarmer »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 11:46:49 am »
How about that horse meat fiasco being mixed in with the ground beef on a regular basis?  Has that realization brought down beef prices or allow the selling of horse meat on a regular basis in the USA?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 02:47:16 pm »
Bo bloody Derek got horsemeat banned in the US, unfortunately.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 07:11:28 am »
I live in the horse capital of the world, the problem is there are so many bleeding heart horse lovers here, that they have made it a crime to slaughter them for meat.

If you mention eating horse meat to some people , they will look at you like you murdered a unicorn...

What is morally outrageous is that japans companies are allowed to buy up all the unwanted horses for dirt cheap, and once they are loaded up on cargo ships and outside of U.S. waters the animals are slaughter butchered and packaged, before arriving at the international markets. There are many of poor families here who could benefit from eating healthy horse meat, but instead its all being exported.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Saris

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »
Meat prices didn't go up. The Human population is what went up.

Offline Saris

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »
I live in the horse capital of the world, the problem is there are so many bleeding heart horse lovers here, that they have made it a crime to slaughter them for meat.

If you mention eating horse meat to some people , they will look at you like you murdered a unicorn...

What is morally outrageous is that japans companies are allowed to buy up all the unwanted horses for dirt cheap, and once they are loaded up on cargo ships and outside of U.S. waters the animals are slaughter butchered and packaged, before arriving at the international markets. There are many of poor families here who could benefit from eating healthy horse meat, but instead its all being exported.

Horse meat doesn't even taste good. So let's not shed too many tears.

As for poor families, c'mon. We could have done things years ago, do you know how cheap it is to give them certain veggies?

We're not going to do anything for the poor until we actually care about them, we don't, we pretend that we do -- often.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 03:40:36 pm »
Horsemeat tastes great, actually. One of the best.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 02:14:05 am »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk