Author Topic: Intestinal blockage  (Read 114666 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Intestinal blockage
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2014, 04:41:27 am »
I find the lack of mentioning of gut flora in the replies very concerning
I just recently had some constipation issue with no resolving from eating raw + doing various supplementation and cleanses

I resolved it by providing myself with plenty of soluble fiber and probiotic supplements (In form of fermented vegetable and soil-based organisms), and now the issue has been resolved somewhat. I believe the reason for intestinal blockage to be the low-carb diet we seem to follow yet not considering the consequence of having killed off some bacteria in our gut system.

But I also want to say this is just speculation right now as I've only resolved this issue two days ago

I will definently be eliminating vegetables such as kale , spinach, and broccoli. I definitely will try adding fermented cabbage, beets, and carrots. Also maybe some sweet potatoes, steamed possibly, I don't know if you can eat raw.

I think people were under the assumption that raw meat/fat would heal my gut flora. I don't think I have a healthy enough gut to consume raw meat at this time.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2014, 06:39:48 am »
I think he is saying that aged and high meats might add to the beneficial bacteria biodiversity within your gut and perhaps aid your healing.  If made correctly high meat super potent and one only needs a small morsel at the benefits from the bacteria and enzymes.  It's probably one of the only ways to populate ones gut with the bacteria that are native decomposers of meats.

This isn't to suggest you only eat high meats, but just to add them to your diet to help you have a gain a more comprehensive ability to digest and to receive the plentiful nutrients that are available in dense amounts in raw meats, especially organs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:48:07 am by jessica »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2014, 08:03:02 am »
Congrats on your early success badboy9311. I agree that the gut microbiome is important (as anyone who reads my posts knows, and I hope I haven't beaten the topic to death :) ). A_Tribe_Called_Paleo mentioned taking psyllium husk powder, which can help carry prebiotics to the distal end of the colon, and to some extent also ferment and act like a prebiotic itself. Now that the initial emergency is past, perhaps he will further examine prebiotics and probiotics.

Your guess about low-carb diets (that typically tend to also be low in prebiotics) as a possible culprit is believable, as constipation and the need for magnesium supplements are commonly reported by LCers.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2014, 12:25:22 pm »
Congrats on your early success badboy9311. I agree that the gut microbiome is important (as anyone who reads my posts knows, and I hope I haven't beaten the topic to death :) ). A_Tribe_Called_Paleo mentioned taking psyllium husk powder, which can help carry prebiotics to the distal end of the colon, and to some extent also ferment and act like a prebiotic itself. Now that the initial emergency is past, perhaps he will further examine prebiotics and probiotics.

Your guess about low-carb diets (that typically tend to also be low in prebiotics) as a possible culprit is believable, as constipation and the need for magnesium supplements are commonly reported by LCers.

I'm going to try and add more carbs to diet through fermented, and some starchy vegetables. Things like fermented cabbage, beets, carrots, sweet potato, and winter squash. I will lightly steam sweet potato and waiter squash to aid digestion.

Also going to experiment with more raw honey. Only eating about 1/4-1/2 tsp aday right now. Going to try to double that.

Also going to take AVs advice with papayas, melons, pineapples...

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »
Magnesium supplement is definitely helping me pass stools, but still with great difficulty. Could this be a sign of dehydration?

Also wondering if it's a sign I'm magnesium deficient, or not absorbing it properly. Would you guys recommend a multi vitamin? 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »
Magnesium supplement is definitely helping me pass stools, but still with great difficulty. Could this be a sign of dehydration?

Many factors can cause magnesium imbalance/deficiency, which was discussed already. It's almost impossible to know all the details that go on in your body, but you can get a magnesium blood test to see if you are actually low. One thing you could try even without a blood test is increasing the dosage of your supplement - 1 1/2 or 2 times the recommended dose shouldn't be too much. Magnesium supplement works against constipation by NOT being absorbed, so you want to exceed your own threshold of absorption. The only way to find that level is by trial and error.

Most important: don't expect everything in your short term results. For example, establishing a different (=healthier) colon microbiome can take a few weeks or even a month. On top of that, if you have "leaky gut" (tiny holes in the colon wall), your overall recovery can take 6 or more months. Being hydrated enough, OTOH, takes a few hours at most, but I'm not sure why you think that's the case. Are you restricting the water that you drink?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

Also wondering if it's a sign I'm magnesium deficient, or not absorbing it properly. Would you guys recommend a multi vitamin?
Regarding dehydration. That you seemingly drink (or not) enough water does not mean you are actually hydrating yourself. Water has to have the right structures, the right way of molecules forming clusters in the water.
The body needs beautiful formations/crystalline formations/formations that correspond to healthy frequencies and vibrations that the body recognizes and can use. If water structure is wrong, ugly, distorted in bad ways, then the body has to use extra energy to try to correct the water structure within the body - but this requires more minerals, like magnesium.
Best water would be from unpolluted and clean nature, but since this is hard to obtain, unless you live close to nature, then there are ways to improve water structure.

The better structured water you drink the less minerals and nutrients you'll need, as there won't be much need to use them for correcting the structure in the body.

Water structures correspond to influences and information they were affected with or subjected to. If the water you drink is heated in bad ways and treated with chemicals, or anything negative, it will take structures corresponding to those negative influences. If you drink this negatively influenced water it will influence you in turn negatively - which is plain and simple nutritive imbalance/nutrient deficiency/toxic overload - which requires healing and correcting.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:20 pm »
Different forms of magnesium are also used differently by the body,  magnesium citrate helps draw moisture to the stool, magnesium sulfate does this as well, magnesium gluconate is said to be the most bioavailable and absorbed for different body processes. 

Offline badboy9311

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2014, 02:07:58 am »
Re A Tribe Called Paleo

hey, update from my solution
I've been using prescript assist probiotic for about a week and a little now, also supplemented with a whole jar of sauerkraut those early days of supplementing

I think the increase of probiotic + prebiotics has helped me a LOT in my recovery progress right now.
You might have different things that is lacking, but baseline and safe twitching your increase of microbiome will help a lot

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2014, 05:04:06 am »
I have read where one of the means the colon is signaled to have peristalsis is reacting to the acid level of the material.   As bacteria build up, their excrement also builds up and hence the acid nature.  To eat large amounts of sauerkraut ( acidic ) would seem to naturally stimulate that situation.  Unless of course that the stomach and small intestines neutralize those acids.   Don't you just love the unknown.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2014, 05:40:04 am »
Re A Tribe Called Paleo

I've been using prescript assist probiotic for about a week and a little now, also supplemented with a whole jar of sauerkraut those early days of supplementing

I think the increase of probiotic + prebiotics has helped me a LOT in my recovery progress right now.
You might have different things that is lacking, but baseline and safe twitching your increase of microbiome will help a lot
cool, congrats
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2014, 12:45:58 am »
Re A Tribe Called Paleo

Yeah I've been eating more raw honey(i think it's a good prebiotic), sauerkraut, pickles(good quality never pasteurized).

Also added roasted peanut butter, heard it's a great source of magnesium.

Add Kerrygold butter to my meat meals for more fat.

I've been having at least one BM a day for about 5 days now. Only concerning thing now is that i don't "get the urge" to go."

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2015, 03:28:06 pm »
Update:

I no longer get the "urge" signaling I have to take a #2. I have to force it out using a series of deep breathing and air squat like movements. The process can last 10-45minites and only produce small amounts. I Havnt had a full, effortless BM in since dec 16th. I am worried I have damaged my colon/intestines from harsh laxatives such as Epsom salt/castor oil.
No idea what to do. Running out of ideas.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2015, 04:15:23 pm »
Supposing you did harm to your intestines, there is no reason I can think of why they wouldn't heal, so don't worry and give it time with eating RPD. As I recall, you had a few possible diagnoses going from your internet consultant. It's time for a medical diagnosis, IMO, where they "rule out" some of the possibilities. Rectocele is one reasonable suspicion that would account for lack of mass movement sensation. It has a good range of treatments, starting with good nutrition options. I am in favor of moderate treatments, and I do mean "no more cleanses." Even if you don't go to the doctor, start eating right.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:28 pm »
I would say no more "cleanses" or laxatives as well unless it gets extreme.  instead focus on that deep breathing, not just when you are on the toilet. calming your body, gettig into you body and instead of letting your mind decide when its okay or time to poop letting your body take over instead.  It's very hard format people to do but the practice and routine of giving yoursef space before and after meals and quiet time other wise will allow your more subtle body functions to be free from the anxiety and psychosomatic issues that having severe constipation and digestive issues have caused.  The best example I can think of from my own life is the very few times I have had to vomit.  It's really gross but I realized if I got tense and tried to control the vomiting with my mind I would not happen, I had to get out of y mind and allow my bodies wisdom to take over.  Some things that helped me with anxiety over pooping were to have warm water and tea throughout the day, so keeping hydrated, it's also a very calming ritual for me.  Also knowing when I am most likely to poop or a the slightest urge dropping everything and giving myself however much time it might take, or multiple tries, sometimes drinking down some water and going for a short walk stimulates poops.  I have pretty regular bowels now but it took YEARS, because my physical and mental anxiety surround it, my own use of laxitives and purgatives and having digestive issues.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 09:26:24 pm »
Yeah I've stopped use of all cleanse/detox/laxatives, and even even my forces of nature magnesium supplement(I don't believe in taking supplements, long term use could cause problems).

The doctors said I was fine! Of course they still tried to prescribe me muralax....

I will research Rectocele! From what I read so far pelvic floor dysfunction is a possibility.

I'm not discounting high levels of stress/anxiety either! I even read high levels of emf radiation can cause constipation. I have to find the article again, but I believe it somehow blocks magnesium absorption in the intestinal track. Which in turn causes a lack of water, and drys out the stool. I am constantly on my phone an computer and connected to Wifi.

I've cleaned up my diet considerably. cooked paleo for now, cannot afford quality meat to eat raw until I return home for summer. Added lots of fermented foods. Sauerkraut, pickles, chutney, yogurt.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2015, 12:14:55 am »
I used the word "rectocele" - perhaps too specifically - instead of your internet consultant's term pelvic floor dysfunction, to mean that the poop is descending and gathering but not giving you an urge signal. Please don't go hunting for a diagnosis on my account.                                                                     

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:33 pm »
I'm new in this but I would bet it's the cooked foods that cause you constipation, in particular the cooked meats/dairy. I really cannot imagine someone getting constipated from raw meats or dairy.

When you said you don't get an urge to go, and have to do crazy amounts of trying to pass only a small amount, have you considered that maybe it's because there isn't much to pass anyway?

When I was eating cooked meats and dairy, the best way to prevent constipation was always lots of whole vegetables, for the fiber. Now that I've started eating copious amounts of raw meat every day, I juice my vegetables to intentionally remove the fiber, and I still can't imagine getting constipated. It's only been a little over 2 weeks though.

Also, I wouldn't get so concerned about the quality of the meats as I would about whether they're raw. Yes, grassfed, organic, unvaccinated, never frozen is a lot better for you. But if your excuse for having cooked is that you can't get high quality meats, I don't think that holds much water (pun not intended). If you take bad quality meats and cook them, they will turn worse, not better for you. I would just have those raw if it's all I can get.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2015, 03:05:47 am »
When you said you don't get an urge to go, and have to do crazy amounts of trying to pass only a small amount, have you considered that maybe it's because there isn't much to pass.

No, I eat way to much for this to be the cause. I work out(1-2hours) and play hockey(1-2hours) everyday. In my off time I do movement/mobility training as well. I eat 4-6 meals a day.

Pelvic floor dysfunction is the most likely candidate right now.

I'm hesitant to take phyllium husk/chia seeds because I don't know if I'll be able to expel them??? Maybe I'm being overly cautous/paranoid.
I've been reading Aajonus's book and think that pasterized dairy could be adding to the problem. He claims it's indigestible, I thought I could substitute it for raw dairy.

At the moment I cook my meats in a crock pot on low(212F) for 6hours. Would the broth left in slow cooker be beneficial for me?

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2015, 04:39:35 am »
I don't know, but when I was eating cooked stuff, well done beef was bad, and pasteurized cheese was the absolute worst in terms of constipation. I had to counter both of those with tons and tons of whole vegetables.

Now for the last 15 days I'm eating over 2 pounds of raw meat every day, mostly low quality feedlot beef which is most of what I could find, sometimes fish, and sometimes lamb that I think might be grassfed, but not sure. Today I also had 3 raw organic, mostly pasture raised (but supplemented with likely GMO corn) eggs mixed with raw honey (or at least I think it's raw, not sure) and natural vanilla extract (which I have no idea if it's raw or not). As I'm still adapting to the diet I've had overly loose BM's, but even though I've had almost no fiber (just a bit of fruit), I haven't had any constipation at all. If I was eating all this stuff cooked and without the fiber from the vegetables I would have massive constipation by now.

I'm allowing beef and lamb meats to ferment a bit in lemon juice before consuming them, to aid in the digestion process (it basically does the same as your stomach acid). That initially gave me some teeth sensitivity, but now that I added vegetable juice that's gone also. I'm slowly feeling stronger and healthier. Sometimes more so than others, but there is clear improvement nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:44:47 am by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2015, 09:07:22 am »
Have you ever considered you are over exercising and not able to process foods because your body is in a constant state of anxiety and flight??  Have you considered that it may be a good idea to slow down on training to get your nervous system back into a less engaged state where you will be able to relax and heal?  If you are having pelvic floor dysfunction it's because you have a weakness in one of he most important systems, your deepest core in the body.  This could very basically be due to overtraining with improper strength.  If you continue to overtrain you will never be able to heal your pelvic floor enough to where you can rehabilitate it and balance out your strength.   I am sure the idea of not training causes you anxiety because you are so used to being in a state of exhaustion that you instead recognize it as alertness and also you are addicted to the endorphins.  I would ask you to visit MarksDailyApple.com and read what you can about overtraining and the stress it causes, that's the best source I can think of ATM. 

Pasturized dairy is a pretty poor sub for raw because of the denaturing of the enzyme lactase as well as the probiotics that help the body digest and assimilate the beneficial nutrients in the dairy and thatbare beneficial to healing the intestines.  Are you eating fermented dairy like yogurt?  Or just straight milk?

Dariorpf if the meat you are eating is certified organic then it will not be supplemented gmo corn, it may be supplemented organic corn, but anything certified organic contains no gmos if he farmers are upholding to those standards.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:51:08 pm by jessica »

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2015, 12:20:47 pm »
it may be supplemented organic corn, but anything certified organic contains no gmos if he farmers are upholding to those standards.

Ah, good to know, thank you. They just said they supplemented with corn and I assumed it was probably GMO. Do you know if organic practices allow for vaccinations of animals? I know I avoided another source of good eggs precisely because they said the chickens were vaccinated (they said it thinking people would think that was good, I think it's horrible and likely to make the eggs a lot more toxic)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:21 pm »
Weird I have never heard of chicken vaccination for small scale farms before.  I doubt you missed out on any good eggs if they were from a farm that had to use vaccines.  Organic rules do allow for vaccination.  This is because most farms who produce meat and are certified organic are large scale.  Smaller scale grass fed operations don't generally use vaccinations because they are taking better care of their animals and not creating an environment where vaccines are necessary.  If you have a local Weston a price chapter that is a good way to connect with legitimate small scale producers in your area. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:38 pm »
Do you know if organic practices allow for vaccinations of animals?

There are vaccinations that are "okay" by law for organic practices. Depending on where you are, different laws may apply.

Vaccinations may be necessary in many CAFO settings because the animals are confined. That's why Jessica mentions that vaccinations are not used on small farms. When it comes to commercial poultry, confinement and quasi-confinement are so common, partly because maintaining natural feeding environments with enough bugs for birds is very complex. Pasture is good enough for ruminants, but there needs to be a source of bugs, such as cow patties in a pasture, for birds, if you want to raise a whole bunch of birds.

Unless you actually know the poultry ranch, it may be safe to assume that it is a large operation.

Antibiotics may also be a gray area in organic practices. In my area, there is a distinction made between "routine" (given to every animal) vs "necessary" (necessary to treat a particular disease) antibiotics for livestock. Some savvy ranchers know how to bend the rules to make "routine" antibiotics seem "necessary."

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2015, 01:52:35 pm »
Have you ever considered you are over exercising and not able to process foods because your body is in a constant state of anxiety and flight??  Have you considered that it may be a good idea to slow down on training to get your nervous system back into a less engaged state where you will be able to relax and heal?  If you are having pelvic floor dysfunction it's because you have a weakness in one of he most important systems, your deepest core in the body.  This could very basically be due to overtraining with improper strength.  If you continue to overtrain you will never be able to heal your pelvic floor enough to where you can rehabilitate it and balance out your strength.   I am sure the idea of not training causes you anxiety because you are so used to being in a state of exhaustion that you instead recognize it as alertness and also you are addicted to the endorphins.  I would ask you to visit MarksDailyApple.com and read what you can about overtraining and the stress it causes, that's the best source I can think of ATM. 

Pasturized dairy is a pretty poor sub for raw because of the denaturing of the enzyme lactase as well as the probiotics that help the body digest and assimilate the beneficial nutrients in the dairy and thatbare beneficial to healing the intestines.  Are you eating fermented dairy like yogurt?  Or just straight milk?

Dariorpf if the meat you are eating is certified organic then it will not be supplemented gmo corn, it may be supplemented organic corn, but anything certified organic contains no gmos if he farmers are upholding to those standards.

I don't think it's over training. I know I do have an extremely week inner core. Which is why I'm doing movement/functionality training. I was eating red hill goat kefir, sheep bri, lactose free grass fed sour cream, Kerry gold butter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk