Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 338647 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:11 am »
Another change I noticed from the RPD is that even when I haven't gotten much sleep and am very tired I yawn less than I used to and my yawns are much smaller and briefer. Anyone else notice that?

I hadn't noticed it myself but now that you mention it I do believe I've been yawning less lately.
On the other hand I've been getting regular aerobic exercise daily (jogging) with anaerobic sprints so I might just be processing oxygen better...
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

William

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2009, 11:28:17 am »
To help prevent tartar, I was thinking of getting something like this:

Primadophilus Reuteri Pearls 60 Pearls
by Nature's Way
Price: $16.39

It contains lactobacillus reuteri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_reuteri). Reuteri has been shown in studies to have dental  benefits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_reuteri#Clinical_results_in_humans). Probiotics seem more in keeping with a Paleo/Primal approach than processed sugar alcohols like xylitol. What do you think? I suppose high meat bacteria would be even better, so I will try to learn more about high meats and eventually try more of them. I also started taking some magnesium supplements again--I think I went down to zero too fast.

Zero carb seems to be all I need for clean teeth.

Another change I noticed from the RPD is that even when I haven't gotten much sleep and am very tired I yawn less than I used to and my yawns are much smaller and briefer. Anyone else notice that?

Yes, me too. I suppose the body is better oxygenated, greatly reduces chance of cancer.

I also continue to handle cold and hot temperatures better and better. It's like my body's thermostat is getting better tuned on a higher-fat diet.

Yes! I could work up to my waist in the cold springtime lake water while others complain when they have to keep their hands in it.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 07:05:02 am »
Yes, me too. I suppose the body is better oxygenated, greatly reduces chance of cancer.
Yes, and it's interesting that both cancer cells and bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease are anaerobic.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2009, 10:28:46 am »
Hooray! The information I shared is finally having some influence on a very good friend of mine who has endometriosis. She cut way back on wheat--eliminating bread, for example--and started eating plenty of fat-rich avocado. She doesn't like the idea of eating lots of animal fats, so I told her about plants that have similar fats, such as avacodos--they are not quite as good as wild or pasture-fed animal fats, in my experience, but far better than pro-inflammatory cooked high-carb, low-fat, grain-heavy diets. Her symptoms are markedly reduced. Her diet is still far from perfect, but most people will never attain dietary "perfection," if that is even possible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dictate diet to her. I tell her what has worked for me and others I know of and share tidbits of research I come across now and then and suggested she listen to what her body tells her. She noted that when she cut back on wheat her bloating improved quickly, and when she added avocado her symptoms improved further, such as reduced pain.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:36:25 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 11:51:20 am »
That's great. Phil.  She may want to try raw olives, virgin coconut oil, or raw palm oil.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17:04 am »
Thanks.

I've read how wolves and dogs and some people here drink lots of water after eating meat. I don't seem to get the same signal to drink lots of water and I'm wondering if there's a problem with my body's signals. Should be forcing myself to drink more water?

I do drink more water when I've eaten a small excess of fat and my saliva becomes slightly sweetened by the resulting ketones (too much ketones makes water taste sickeningly sweet). Could this mean some ketone production is actually a good thing?

William

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2009, 05:13:57 am »
Should I be forcing myself to drink more water?

I do drink more water when I've eaten a small excess of fat and my saliva becomes slightly sweetened by the resulting ketones (too much ketones makes water taste sickeningly sweet). Could this mean some ketone production is actually a good thing?

No! Force not the body - it knows what it is doing, even if we don't, and is never wrong.

I drank lots of water when I ate cooked meat, and drink some after eating pemmican/jerky, but raw "fresh" meat has almost all the water we need. And there is the word of A. Vonderplanitz and Dr. Bernarr (healself.org).

I've never had sweet saliva. Maybe because you are of the lucky who get the right fat, or carry a different burden of pollutants.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2009, 09:28:18 am »
Thanks for the info, William. I think the sweet saliva is from ketones, because when I get it I also test positive on the keto sticks.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2009, 09:02:25 am »
I didn't get much sleep Saturday night, yet I only yawned twice the whole next day--and very brief, small yawns at that. Even when I started to nod off during the day I didn't yawn. This is unheard of for me. Normally I would be making frequent, big, gaping yawns the next day. I also noticed that when other people yawn I no longer get that "contagious" yawn that people laugh about, which used to be unavoidable for me, even if I tried to stifle it. This minimal yawning phenomenon is completely unexpected. I've never experienced it before or heard of it. It's interesting that others report the same thing. I seem to recall lions yawning gapingly, but I don't recall if they were wild or zoo animals. Strangely, I also felt energetic and could walk and run nearly as fast as when well rested, despite being dog tired. It's curious. For those here who are yawning much less, what foods do you eat and in what general proportions?

My spine has straightened enough now that my left arm and shoulder are nearly as flexible as my right, for the first time since I was a teenager, and there is a bit more strength in my left arm. A chiropractor had explained to me that the left arm weakness was due to my curved spine pinching off some nerve connections and reducing or preventing their signals from getting through to my left side (I have a weak left leg and ankle too--although the ankle has gradually been strengthening over the past several years too). He used to demonstrate this by testing my left arm strength, then giving me an adjustment, and then testing my left arm strength again--it would always increase after an adjustment. The adjustments didn't last long, unfortunately, but now I've been making my own, longer-lasting adjustments through dietary change.

When I was around 19 or 20 I asked a physician if there was anything I could do for my increasing curvature short of surgery and if chiropractic helps. He said there is absolutely no way to straighten a curved spine short of surgery, unless I wanted to "abandon all faith in medical science." The fact that he said with an arrogant and derisive tone and didn't provide any further explanation or indication of the slightest interest in seeking out other possibilities helped inspire me to try to prove him wrong. Increasingly, it's looking like I finally am in the process of doing so, though I don't know how straight my spine will get.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:41 am »
Phil, you might want to take a look at this video from Esther Gokhale--www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYJ4hEYudE

This, plus the Alexander Technique and Neurocranial Restructuring, have really, really helped my flexibility, strength, and general well-being.  I recommend all of them.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2009, 10:23:59 am »
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm sure the posture work helped you quite a bit and I've tried some posture work myself in the past, as well as yoga, osteopathic physical therapy, chiropractic, accupuncture, accupressure, stretching, weight lifting, etc., and diet has been what has worked best for me. One reason I'm using only diet to treat my curvature is because if I combine it with other things, critics will claim it was the other things that straightened me, not the diet. So I hope that explains it somewhat and I do appreciate the help.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 09:14:08 am »
I forgot to mention that a few days ago I decided to try to finish off the refrigerated raw ground flax seeds I had left over from my plant-eating days. There was a substantial amount, so I added raw egg and a little bit of raw honey to make it palatable. The next morning I had a return of some dental pain, increased dry skin, and milk lower extremity pain. It's amazing how quickly carbs, even ones that don't seem that bad, bring back a return of symptoms for me. I'm guessing that the honey was the biggest culprit.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:46 am »
had any of those foods been in your diet recently? maybe eggs?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 10:40:03 am »
Yes, I'm still eating lots of raw eggs, so only the flaxseeds and local unheated, unfiltered honey were a change from my usual current diet. For whatever reason, I've experienced no negative effects from raw eggs, even when I've eaten 8 at once or a dozen in a day. They haven't been a big weight gainer for me, but I have gained a little, so maybe they've helped a bit. The best thing about them is they are a good fast food for me, which is useful for breakfast, and they provide a goodly amount of fat if I need it (though I usually have plenty of suet around), as well as lutein and zeaxanthin (http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/nutrients-in-egg-yolks-help-prevent-macular-degeneration).

Then there's also the interesting changes in iris color that eggs promote which we have discussed here. That same Eades link provides this additional example:

Ethyl D, 10. October 2006, 6:19

When I changed to a low-carb diet a few years ago, within a week I noticed a change in my eye color from pale grey-blue to a much deeper turquoise blue. I assumed this change resulted from either the additional eggs or increased fat in my diet. Does this seem likely?
So that is another indicator that eggs are a key factor in the eye color change. I don't find Eades' explanation very compelling (I don't dismiss it, but I think the idea of increased nutrients causing reduction of melanin suggested in this forum makes more sense to me), but even if he's wrong, at least he didn't dismiss or ignore this lady's report.

There are also reports there of improved vision from low carbs and eggs. Dr. Eades' explanation is: "a decrease in swelling [ie, inflammation] of the lens with the carb reduction." Since carbs are connected to inflammation, especially modern refined carbs, this does sound plausible.

There are a lot of dire warnings on the net from people saying raw eggs will deplete your biotin or give you nasty bacterial infections, but when I tried to find the sources they turned out to be based more on urban legend than studies or specific actual cases, so I decided to try eating more eggs, with more than half of them being fertilized (just to be somewhat on the safe side, since fertilized eggs are not believed to deplete biotin). So far no noticeable problems.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:53 am »
Thanks again for the Esther Gokhale vid, cherimoya_kid. I like how her posture training was inspired by the best role models--traditional and ancient peoples and babies who display a natural posture.

Interesting that she first learned about this sort of stuff from the Institute Aplomb of Paris, France. Once again France is at the forefront of Paleo/Instinctive lifestyle and nutrition among the modern nations. Vive la France!

My dandruff is further reduced today. Almost no flakes fell on my eyeglasses (they used to get covered in them by the end of the day).

On the down side, I was lambasted yet again today by a good friend for eating raw Paleo. She interrogated me about what I was eating and acted as if it was the first time I had told her, despite telling her several times before that I was eating this way. I guess the bright side of it is that insults from my friends may help gird me against the worse insults that are likely to come in the future from my adversaries. This WOE challenges much of the modern way of life, so if it gets noticed above the daily noise it will generate a harsh reaction.

Raw grassfed ground beef is beginning to taste really good to me, especially when eaten with the suet. It's a good development, because now I don't have to pay more for bison and venison to eat meats I really love.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:49:43 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »
I found I was really thirsty after eating if I was eating too much protein and not enough fat. 80% fat = no thirst.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2009, 04:59:32 pm »

Raw grassfed ground beef is beginning to taste really good to me, especially when eaten with the suet. It's a good development, because now I don't have to pay more for bison and venison to eat meats I really love.

That's good news. How long have you been eating raw meats? The taste-change usually takes c.8-12 months of eating largely raw.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
Thanks again for the Esther Gokhale vid, cherimoya_kid. I like how her posture training was inspired by the best role models--traditional and ancient peoples and babies who display a natural posture.

Indeed.  It makes a good counterpoint to the Alexander work, as well as Trager Work.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2009, 06:42:12 am »
That's good news. How long have you been eating raw meats? The taste-change usually takes c.8-12 months of eating largely raw.
Thanks. I had read people here, like Lex, claiming it took quite a while to come to enjoy raw grassfed beef, so I was surprised, because I've only been eating the raw ground grassfed beef for a couple of months. Of course, I was eating some low-heated jerky, raw eggs and VLC before that for several months. Plus, raw venison sausage tasted good to me the second or third time I tried it and raw ground venison tasted very good to me the first time I tried it. I think that the only reason the raw venison sausage tasted only OK the first time I tried it was that it was overly spiced. It's as if I was made for this diet.

Offline unthink

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2009, 12:24:53 am »
You might want to look in to structural bodywork, structural integration as well. Combined with proper pilates or other things already mentioned, its definitely  possible to get some proper permanent change. DonĀ“t ask the doctor as they live in a obsolete mould, when it comes to these things.  As structural bodyworker I see the change in people everyday.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2009, 12:52:35 am »
In The Warrior Diet they explain that, feeling more thirsty than hungry(while eating) is a sign that your body is satisfied & suggest to stop eating at that point. I've tried it. Seems to help with that bloated feeling you get after eating big meals. I haven't done it long term to really come with a better conclusion though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2009, 01:39:11 am »
I found I was really thirsty after eating if I was eating too much protein and not enough fat. 80% fat = no thirst.
I actually desire to drink more water when I've eaten more fat, not less, as a bit too much fat makes produces some ketones that make the water taste slightly sweet and more enjoyable. However, too much fat makes it taste too sweet. I don't have a scale to measure my ratios, so I eat lots of fat, but cut back a bit if my saliva starts getting overly sweet. It's my current natural signal to go easier on the fats.

In The Warrior Diet they explain that, feeling more thirsty than hungry(while eating) is a sign that your body is satisfied & suggest to stop eating at that point. I've tried it. Seems to help with that bloated feeling you get after eating big meals. I haven't done it long term to really come with a better conclusion though.
I don't get bloated regardless of how much I eat--not even from 2 lbs of meat and fat at a single extended sitting. I also don't get thirsty much, but I suspect that I should be drinking more water, given the reports of others and given people's reports here about wild carnivores drinking lots of water after eating. I think some natural signal may not be functioning fully in my system, though it's just speculation at this point.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:43 am »
My dandruff has diminished further. There were just a couple of teeny flakes on my eyeglasses today. When I scratch my head to check for flakes there are far fewer and they are tinier.

My hair loss has also slowed down further. Recently there have only been a couple hairs coming off on my comb each day instead of half a dozen or more.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:22 pm »
  Using baking soda for shampoo  ( a tablespoon mixed with water and applied to your scalp and left in place for about 5-10 minutes, then massaging it and rinsing very well with warm water) will take care of the dandruff/fungus and leave the sebum glands clean and open, thus preventing the hair follicles from getting choked from inflamed sebum glands.  Have personally only used baking soda for shampoo for  almost twenty years.  It works.  Also raw egg yolks, the healthy green and bug fed kind, will also save your hair.  Also have done this for about twenty years..   But you probably already eat yolks.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2009, 10:05:56 pm »
Thanks, I did try using baking soda and didn't care for it. It left my hair matted and feeling unclean and looking nasty and I didn't notice any decrease in hair loss. I have, however, noticed decrease in hair loss the longer I stick with grassfed raw meat and suet. Maybe I just need to give baking soda more time or something? Maybe I can cut my hair real short so it's not as noticeable how bad it looks, until my hair gets used to the baking soda? I also found it inconvenient and difficult to use, probably due to inexperience. I tried mixing varying amounts of water to get a good consistency, but none of the mixes seemed to work well. Can you give more details on how to use it: What container do you keep it in? How much water do you mix in? etc.

I'll try to remember to try the eggs. What do I do, whip an egg yolk in a bowl and then take the bowl into the tub with me, then dump it on my head and rub it in? Then turn on the shower? What do you mean about green egg yolk? One that has been left out in the open air for a certain time to rot?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:57:18 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk