Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 338768 times)

Offline alycia

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #525 on: April 16, 2011, 10:39:18 pm »
If I eat too much meat I get more constipated, whereas raw eggs, avocado, raw fermented honey, bone marrow, lard and berries seem to be sufficiently soft, easy to digest and fatty to promote good bowels..... plus maybe antifungal and probiotic effects?

HI Phil, I am really enjoying reading 50+ pages of your journal  :o
It's a lot to take in  ;D but it is so helpful to a newbie!!!

I have not seen yet if you say just "how much" fat you need to eat with the meat to avoid the Big C?  I just don't get percentages, i go by metric system.  Maybe you can help me by saying just how much fat in TSP or TBLS one may want to have with 4 oz of meat? 

Also you got me curious what "probitic" you are taking and if you notice a difference  :)

BTW - I know we all have different bod's and what works well for you may not for someone else but i know we have this one thing in common so  ;) 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 17, 2011, 01:54:35 am »
I haven't measured in a while, but I try to eat a lot of fat with any of the ground meats I eat. When I eat raw fish or organs I tend to eat less fat with it. Avocados also contain fat.

The probiotics I consume include raw fermented honey, raw fermented carrots with ginger, raw fermented cod liver oil, raw fermented meat (high meat) and raw fermented fish (stink fish). I don't know if the probiotic effects are doing much. The only thing obvious I've noticed is decrease in dry, flaky skin on scalp, eyebrows and forehead after eating the raw fermented honey and mildly improved dental health with the raw fermented cod liver oil.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:00 am »
A note: when someone asked me how much raw fermented honey I could eat at one time without major problems, I said unlimited, but I couldn't do that every day, so I wanted to clear that up. Lots of centrifuged honey consumed at one sitting usually makes my lips chap significantly, though not as bad as fully heated honey or lots of certain fruits. Lots of raw fermented honey can make my lips chap a little bit, but it rubs right off and doesn't leave a raw, sore or cracked underlayer like other carbs do. However, I still can't overdo it, as eating lots of raw fermented honey every day gives me dental problems, just less than other carbs, and too many big BG spikes is probably not good, though now and then may be OK, though I'm not certain.

The end result of modern society is converting more and more organic matter into human flesh and toxic waste, which we call "creating wealth" and "progress". Vegetarianism and veganism don't necessarily change that paradigm, despite their being linked to the green movement. Hunter-gatherers were the last people to live an organic lifestyle that produced only bio-degradable end products and didn't promote massive population growth. It's puzzling to me that vegetarianism/veganism have been connected with the green movement instead of the lifestyle of the last mostly-sustainable way of life (the one major downside was that they did kill off lots of megafauna).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:19 am »
Water intake seems to have almost no effect for me on skin/scalp/lip dryness and constipation, for some reason. I know, it makes no sense. I can consume huge quantities of water and most starches and fruits still dry me up. I try to remember to consume salt, though I've never noticed anything from it--at least not yet.

There are some carbs that I don't seem to get as much drying and chapping from: parsnips, carrots, raw fermented honey (if I eat a lot of it I get just a very light later of chapping on my lips which easily wipes away and reveals a healthy underlayer, and the dryness on my scalp actually decreases), small berries. Man do I love raw organic parsnips, and I've eaten 4 or 5 of them at one sitting without any problems of any sort, and my digestion of them is improving further. 2 or 3 used to cause my stomach to feel like it was full of them--now I can eat more.

The longer I eat nutrient-dense raw Paleo, it seems the better my tolerance of other fruits becomes, but apparently not of cooked grains and tubers. I tried eating more pineapple chunks today than I have in a long time, and so far no problems. Hurrah!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2011, 06:02:10 am »
I did get some lip chapping last night after eating pineapple earlier in the day, but I didn't get the stomach upset I normally do, so maybe my stomach health is improving or it could be just a coincidence.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 03, 2011, 09:52:59 am »
Borrowing from Bill Maher...new rule for cyberspace: if someone ends their argument with "case closed" or "check and mate" or the equivalent, they automatically lose the debate.

A humorous example of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47OC439x88

For now I'll call it the "Self-Proclaimed Victory Rule."

Offline Tsurugi_Oni

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:30 am »
Phil =D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 05, 2011, 05:17:21 am »
I did get some lip chapping last night after eating pineapple earlier in the day, but I didn't get the stomach upset I normally do, so maybe my stomach health is improving or it could be just a coincidence.

For the dry skin, have you tried the whole "no soap" thing? I'm curious if anyone else had tried it, lol.

Do you only eat fermented honey, not just raw honey?

As for your video, I'll just pass it up, lol. Controversy calls...  :D
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 05, 2011, 08:46:28 am »
Phil =D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Well if it isn't the brotha' from anotha' mutha'. Welcome Tsurugi!

For the dry skin, have you tried the whole "no soap" thing? I'm curious if anyone else had tried it, lol.
Em, no. I have a much easier and more pleasant solution: I won't eat too much pineapple or other fruits.

Do you only eat fermented honey, not just raw honey?
Yes, I find that raw fermented honey treats me better than ordinary raw honey, for whatever reason. It's really bizarre that fruits and centrifuged "raw" honey dry out my skin, whereas the Really Raw brand of non-centrifuged raw fermented honey helps clear up my dry skin and scalp, though it can cause a very mild lip chapping if I eat too much. This violates nearly every dietary dogma out there. I love that about it. LOL

As for your video, I'll just pass it up, lol. Controversy calls...  :D
LOL, yeah, it's too bad the subject is a controversial one. It would be funny with any subject, wish I knew of a less controversial example.

I've been noticing less reaction from mosquito bites in recent years. I used to get big raised welts and itchiness from them. Today a couple of mosquitoes bit me and I paid close attention to the location of the bite sites. Sure enough, there was no swelling or itching whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:35:37 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 05, 2011, 11:08:13 am »
Interesting. My daughter gets HUGE welts from them.

I have no idea how I'll get her into this. So far, she's resistant to it, and she's only 4.  -[
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 05, 2011, 11:26:01 am »
Most of the improvement with mosquito bites occurred before I went raw, so I doubt she has to eat all raw to achieve it. All she has to do is calm down her immune system. A standard cooked Paleo diet might achieve that, especially if it's rich in immune-calming foods like animal fats from slow and low cooked pastured meats and wild fish and eggs sunny-side up, and maybe you might eventually persuade her to try some raw animal foods like sashimi.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 12, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »
I tried a product that was on sale in my local healthfood market--VitaCoco coconut water with juice mixes. I found I could drink more of this than straight coconut water before becoming nauseous, but I still did become nauseous after I drank about 20 oz. I don't care for the taste much either.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2011, 12:25:25 am »
Another brand is O.N.E. Coconut Water. Juices like that have to be flash pasteurized, to kill microorganisms. I don't know how alive the juice is after that process, so I avoid it unless there is nothing else around.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2011, 02:42:09 am »
That's fine, it was just an experiment to see if the sugar of the other juices would enable me to drink coconut water without nausea as a possible electrolyte/energy drink alternative for my father instead of his usual molasses/juice drink and as a possible occasional electrolyte drink for myself after intensive exercise and also to see if anything would enable me to consume coconut fat without nausea and distaste. It helped a little, but not enough to bother with it, so I don't have any current plans to drink significantly more juice of coconut or other fruits or consume coconut fat.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »
Local Wildcat Produce Vermont organic strawberries are...

smaller
darker in color (deep red)
softer
juicier
and slightly more flavorful

...than Driscoll's California conventional strawberries, which are...

larger
lighter in color
tougher
drier
blander

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 13, 2011, 08:13:23 pm »
Nothing beats wild strawberries. These are tiny (equal or smaller than blueberries for example), but much more delicious than any modern varieties. Very hard to gather a significant amount though, since they are so small.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 14, 2011, 02:26:33 am »
Commercial California strawberry varieties are bred for large size and firmness (a good packaging quality). They don't even have to taste or smell like strawberries, as long as they look good and don't get squished in transit.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2011, 08:09:05 am »
My parents had been staying with me and as a result I had been eating more fruits and veg than usual and even some sweet potato and one of my teeth started to loosen. When my parents left I continued eating more fruit and honey than usual but the tooth loosened enough that it became concerning, so I cut out almost all fruits and honey and increased intake of organs, egg yolks, cod liver oil, meats, fish, etc. and within just a few days my tooth tightened up again. Amazing. It must have been an issue with the softer tissues like the gums and connective tissue rather than bone because I don't think bone would change that rapidly.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 20, 2011, 01:42:16 am »
that's interesting.  so you're not eating fermented honey anymore?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:57 am »
I still am, I just have a better sense of where the limits are. The cutting out was temporary to enable recovery. I like the benefits it provides my hair and skin and how it enables me to eat more food and increase my calorie intake, so I'm keeping honey and fruits in my diet for now, but at lower intakes and/or frequencies.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:36 pm »
My best guess as to what happened with my tooth is that it was loosened due to night-time grinding. When I eat too much carbs I tend to be more prone to dreams, nightmares and night-time grinding and this would explain why only one upper tooth was noticeably loosened and not my lower teeth that were already a little loose. I noted it to my hygienist at a dental cleaning today and she also found that a tooth adjacent to that upper tooth is also a little loose, so that would also fit that hypothesis and she thinks if my bite guard is not a good fit then damage can occur even with it on. I'm going to try to avoid over-carbing to avoid the extreme grinding and have the dentist look at my bite guard to see if he can make a better one.

On the bright side, it was the easiest cleaning I've ever had. Some time ago I increased the frequency of my cleanings again to every 3 months, but I think this visit was even better than any other 3 month visit. The hygienist also could not find the cavity that 2 dentists and a hygienist noted in the past. I'll have my dentist check that at the next 3 month visit. If that has already remineralized in just 3 months, that's amazing. The main changes I made since the last cleaning 3 months ago were to start taking an MSM powder (mixed in water) my dentist recommended and to start drinking bone broths. I also continued to take Green Pastures raw fermented cod liver oil and raw butter oil (for the vitamin K2). I know these are things that Tyler and others here don't approve of, but I wanted to improve dental issues that raw Paleo alone did not seem to be resolving, so I gave them a shot and so far so good, though I know that there are too many variables to attribute the success with confidence to just these.

Today I was convinced by the holistic hygienist to try a fluoride "paint" on my teeth for added remineralization, as there is one near-cavity that is still there that she found. I know, I know, fluoride is the devil, and even she said that they don't recommend consuming fluoride, but they are OK with it topically. I figure that with the bone broths, sulfur and foods I consume that I'm also building calcium and phosphorous and not just fluoride into my teeth so it may be OK. Who knows. I'm open minded about it and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just sharing my experience.

My holistic dentist said he read Ramiel Nagel's book that I recommended to him and he liked it and recommended it to a couple of patients who apparently benefited.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 23, 2011, 05:04:02 am »
I got a blue screen of death on my PC that won't go away (I think the motherboard or CPU got damaged from overheating), so I have limited Internet access currently.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 23, 2011, 05:13:49 am »
On second thought, the night-time grinding hypothesis for my teeth loosening isn't making sense, because the teeth that loosened are completely covered by my night guard, which I put on my upper teeth. It might be plausible if the loosening happened on the lower teeth, but I can't imagine how it could have happened on the upper teeth. Hmmm, maybe carbs do directly cause loosening of my teeth, but then the question becomes why this time only the upper ones? Quite a puzzle.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 25, 2011, 05:31:07 am »
I tried some wild growing fiddleheads in the local woods and they tasted much better than those sold in the market--softer, juicier and less bitter. The wild berries are still not ripe yet.

I noticed in some photos that I tacked up on my fridge that the eyes of my two Paleo nephews are quite Asian (narrow) in appearance now. I hypothesized that they likely have Native American ancestry on both sides of their family and mentioned this to their mother, who told me that she had indeed noticed some Native American features in them and researched the genealogy and found evidence of Native Americans on both sides of the family.

As they mature they are looking more and more like proto-Celtic/Turkic Western Asians of the Caucasian/Turkish steppes/mountains region, with both European and Asian features, though still weighted toward the European. Amazingly, within a single year the nephew that had been more badly affected by modern foods (his mother ate wheat germ while pregnant with him, on the advice of a pregnancy book, but didn't with the second son) has had his eyes go from round and bulging to narrow, without bulging, and Asian-like within a single year, and his eyes are now almost as narrow as his younger brother's. Both boys have experienced visible broadening of their jaws. In unfortunate contrast, my other two nephews that eat lots of junk food have had increasing narrowing of their jaws and skulls, especially the youngest, who is also showing increasingly prominent "buck" teeth, whereas the teeth of my Paleo nephews have been straightening and normalizing somewhat after starting out looking quite bad. It's sad to see my modern-foods nephews suffering physically and healthwise, but any time I or my father try to explain it to their mother she reacts with hostility. She was a junk-food-junkie in her youth too and thinks that we Paleo dieters are the misguided ones rather than her. She tries to find any positive thing she can in her family's health and any negative thing she can in Paleo dieters to justify her views. The slightest imperfection in a Paleo dieter is proof positive that it doesn't work, whereas horrendous health problems among modern food eaters like her own husband are irrelevant. It's amazing what cognitive dissonance can do.

So Weston Price's predictions are so far coming true, though he wasn't right about everything, of course, as Tyler has pointed out ad nauseum. My Paleo nephews don't consume dairy products, so their positive health experience seems to counter Price's view on the importance of dairy (as do the experiences of Tyler, myself and others here who don't consume significant dairy), though even Price acknowledged that some traditional peoples, like the Inuit, fared well without dairy and Price didn't seem to be as dogmatic about dairy as the WAPF is.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 01, 2011, 05:52:35 am »
Raw organic carrots taste so sweet to me these days, almost like candy, except without the excessive sweetness and dental gunk.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk