Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824424 times)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #1275 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:27 am »
>>>   I know of no “magic number”, whatever that is

.......many card-carrying-raw-true-believers apparently have chosen 104 F  as the maximum temperature above which they draw a "has been cooked" line in the sand.

Each of us gets to choose what we wish to believe, and then we use the infinite capacity of the human mind to rationalize conflicting reality to fit our chosen beliefs.  Can't tell you how many times I've fallen into this trap.  Objective critical thinking is hard work.  Probably why so few practice it.

Lex

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 20, 2010, 09:43:43 am »
Lex you're great, I just wanted to say.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 20, 2010, 01:55:43 pm »
Lex you're great, I just wanted to say.
Ditto!

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 26, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »
Hey Lex,
I just wanted to ask: I think you are not taking any supplements at all do you?
Thanks
Nicole

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 31, 2010, 03:09:50 pm »
Hey Lex,
I just wanted to ask: I think you are not taking any supplements at all do you?
Thanks
Nicole

Sorry, I've been busy with family and other commitments over the holiday.  Haven't spent much time on line.

No I don't take any supplements.  I do add a little salt to my diet but nothing in the way of magic powders, nostrums, or elixirs.

Lex

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 31, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »
Lex for how long you been into raw paleo?
all this time did you have any thing related to raw meat like parasites/worms some losen stools something?
And why dont you exercise?

:)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 01, 2011, 12:57:09 am »
Lex, I'm curious if you have enough time could you say something about those people you mentioned who are eating up to 50% calories from protein?

How long they did it, what success they had, how their experience differed from yours. That kind of thing.

I'm very curious now about lower ratios of fat.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:48 am »
Lex for how long you been into raw paleo?
all this time did you have any thing related to raw meat like parasites/worms some losen stools something?
And why dont you exercise?

You might want to read through my journal.  All the questions you ask are covered several times.  The short answers:

I've been paleo about 6-7 years, with the first couple of years eating meat cooked medium rare and eating a small salad and/or piece of fruit each day.  I've been raw Zero Carb for a bit over 4 years now (started in mid 2006).  It has been working well for me so I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future.  If I see evidence of problems I'll change in a heartbeat to whatever I think will remedy the problem.  I'm not doing this because I think it is right, I'm doing it because it seems to be meeting my needs.

I've never had any evidence of parasites.  Loose stools (along with bouts of constipation) happened on and off for the first year as I adapted to the all meat diet.  After that things settled down.  Loose stools don't necessarily mean you have parasites.

I don't exercise for the sake of exercise because I'm far too busy doing things I like to do.  I have no interest in wasting what little time I have on this earth in a gym lifting iron weights that serve no useful purpose other than to exaggerate muscles in a way that they would never be used in our natural environment.  I do walk/jog/run to the store, bank, post office, etc when time permits, but it is always with a useful purpose like picking up groceries, mailing a package, or the like.  I wear a backpack to carry things and the round trip is about 4 miles.  I spend most of my time in my shop making furniture, working on restoring antique clocks, or dozens of other projects.  I also have Boy Scout troops, church youth groups, and various individuals over to work on a variety of projects from jerky and pemmican to Eagle Scout projects, to community projects.  I’m often crawling under houses to rewire or re plumb neighbors, relatives, and friend’s homes, and dozens of other things.  In short, I’m very busy and have no interest in wasting my time with activities like “exercise” that accomplish nothing but to eat up precious time and if a gym is involved, to take money that I could put to better use.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 02, 2011, 03:35:02 am »
Lex, I'm curious if you have enough time could you say something about those people you mentioned who are eating up to 50% calories from protein?

How long they did it, what success they had, how their experience differed from yours. That kind of thing.

I'm very curious now about lower ratios of fat.

Sorry Josh, I don’t have anything to say about what others are doing, however, much of my journal covers my own experience with changing fat/lean ratios.  The bottom line is that I’ve not experienced any problems.  The lowest fat content I’ve consistently eaten is 55% of calories from fat and I did great.  This is about 11%-12% fat by weight which is what Slankers regular ground beef has right out of the package.  I’ve also eaten 85% of calories from fat for an extended period and did just as well on that.  BG curves were slightly different with higher protein creating slightly higher swings after meals, and I did put on some weight with the higher fat (higher calorie) intake, but other than that, I feel very good at either extreme and everything in between.  Why don’t you try your own experiment and let us know how it goes for you?

Lex

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:52 pm »
Thanks, I missed that bit. I would love to experiment, but I hate needles. You've given me more confidence to give it a go for a while though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 10, 2011, 02:06:43 am »
I sometimes use lard or tallow for convenience (I don't have to chop it and I can eat it faster when I'm in a rush, and the local market even sells lard for the same price as the raw pork leaf fat it's made from--because raw pork fat and suet and lard are all priced at the "miscellaneous meat" items price because they haven't bothered to create separate prices for them in their database) and I notice that I don't feel as good when I eat these instead of raw suet--especially if I eat only the heated versions for several days in a row. I was surprised by the degree of difference. I also noticed that the longer I ate mostly raw fats, the more that tallow and lard started tasting burnt to me (though this diminishes again the longer I eat the heated versions). I'm wondering if you've noticed either of these phenomena, Lex?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 11, 2011, 12:35:10 am »
.....I notice that I don't feel as good when I eat these instead of raw suet--especially if I eat only the heated versions for several days in a row. I was surprised by the degree of difference. I also noticed that the longer I ate mostly raw fats, the more that tallow and lard started tasting burnt to me (though this diminishes again the longer I eat the heated versions). I'm wondering if you've noticed either of these phenomena, Lex?

Can't say that I have.  I guess I'm too busy doing other things to pay much attention...

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:18 am »
I'll be leaving tomorrow to teach an antique clock repair class.  Should be back by Tuesday of next week.  I don't have a laptop and my cell phone doesn't have an internet browser or even a camera.  How's that for being disconnected.  I'll have to actually communicate with people face to face!

Anyway, don't be offended if I don't respond to postings or e-mail - I'm unplugged.....

Lex

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 26, 2011, 12:11:37 am »
as a clock repairman, what is your personal criterion for deciding when a clock needs to be adjusted for running slow/fast?

I usually don't see a clock until it stops and then it often needs a good bit of work to get it going again.  If you clean a mechanical clock every 10 years or so, it will last many years (often well over 100) and probably will never require any serious repairs.  The problem is that the cost of having a professional clean and service a clock is expensive so most people won't do it.  If you are the least bit handy you can learn do it yourself with just a bit of training and I teach these basic classes.  The classes are held at various places around the country and are sponsored by local chapters of the National Watch and Clock Collector's association (NAWCC).  I assist teaching at the Local Chapter 190 in Ventura California and we will be holding 6 or 7 classes this year.  The class that just ended had people from Idaho and Washington State as well as local folks from California.

Interesing link but not sure what it means in practical terms.  I suppose that higher protein provides for higher and faster BG spike which might provide a faster feeling of satifaction, but I wonder about long term satiety.  With higher fat meals I'm satisfed for about 24 hours, but with higher protien meals I may eat a bit less at a meal as I'm satified faster, but I get hungry again much sooner.

Lex

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »
well, not to pin you down to a number that you will prefer to retract during your Presidential campaign, but what do you feel is the needed level of accuracy in run-rate for a household clock?

in other words:  here's a mechanical clock in the Lex household.   Lex noticed that it was gaining XX minutes a day; he felt compelled to break out the jeweller's screwdriver set and dig in.

what is the value of XX ?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 02, 2011, 12:23:50 pm »
As with anything, the value of XX depends on the clock.  An old American Kitchen clock might be doing really good to maintain 2 to 3 minutes per week.  A jeweler's regulator maybe 5 to 15 seconds a month.  For most mechanical clocks I try for 1 minute or 2 per month. Unfortunately, if they are way off expectations it usually means it's time to tear them down and rebuild them.  Most of the time they are really dirty and usually several of the bearings ( called bushings in clocks) are worn and need replacing.  Spring wound clocks often need the springs replaced as the springs tend to loose their springyness over time and the clock runs slow or won't run a full week.

Lex

Offline ILM

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 04, 2011, 06:36:36 am »
... This is why I continue to eat a good measure of mixed organ meats in the form of Slanker’s pet food as part of my daily food mix, and only eat pemmican when fresh meats that meet my criteria are unavailable.  Pemmican is a marvelous food when fresh meat is scarce, but I suspect it has its problems if you attempt to eat it to the total exclusion of fresh meat.  Do we need organ meats?  I have no idea.  All I know is that what I’m doing has served me well for these many years and I have no interest in changing something that is working well just to see if I can create a problem.

Lex

Hi Lex! I joined this forum on the strength of your posts. Last Sunday, I spent half a day.... reading your posts. I've read about 80 pages of this thread, and understand what you do, how you do, what ratios you do, and the results from your experimentation.

Its been an insanely valuable read and I applaud and respect your dedication to critical thinking. I get a thrill from doing the same thing.

So, without further ado, I'd like to ask you to clarify the portion on the pemmican above. I made quite a bit, and learned that my use of bacon fat as the "binder" was too high in Omega 6's and so that cancelled that. I have yet to source good tallow/suet.

In the meantime, I've begun to acquaint my taste buds with rawer meat in the drive to become a raw food eater. In Africa, they make "biltong" which is meat that is prepared with vinegar, salt, spices like coriander and salt, and then dried through various measures. The meat lasts a long time, and is simply delicious. I douse my "biltong" - thinly cut strips of beef - with a splash of vinegar to give some flavor, and then after one hour, start drying it.

One chap (Phil I believe) wrote that no breakdown of meat enzymes can occur if the temp is lower than 104degF. With the above drive to raw meat, I've taken to "cooking"  - or more accurately - "drying" my meat with temps under that over several days.

With your take on pemmican perhaps not being suited long term, I'd like to know why - and what your take is on my meat prep. I'd appreciate it!

Best, ILM
One Life. Live it.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 05, 2011, 02:09:19 am »
With your take on pemmican perhaps not being suited long term, I'd like to know why –

Hmmmmm, really no magic here.  I consider pemmican an emergency food, a compact food for travel, and a food that can be stored for use during lean times like winter.  This is how it was used by the Cree Indians who invented the stuff.  I don’t think it was ever meant as a sole source of nutrition, but then that is just my opinion. 

Further, I like to include some organ meats in my diet.  Whether this is strictly necessary I have no idea, but it works well for me.  Others that have tried a ZC diet without organ meats seem to fail.  Since I don’t know all the circumstances for individual cases the best I can do is speculate that organ meats provide some necessary elements to the diet that is missing if only muscle meats are eaten.  That said, organ meats don’t work well in pemmican.  They cause the pemmican to spoil rapidly which defeats the primary purpose of pemmican and that is long term storage.

There are some that have tried a pemmican-only diet long term and they claim success (Delfeugo on ZIOH comes to mind), but, then again, I don’t know the specific circumstances.  One person that I do know about is Danny Roddy.  He ate a pemmican-only diet for two years.  At first things seemed to improve, but over the long term he got strange rashes on his legs and I believe some cravings.  I’ve never gotten any symptoms of any kind eating mostly raw meat with organ meats included through the pet food in my mix.  Is it the small amount of organ meats I eat that make everything work?  I have no idea, but I’ll continue eating them.  Why mess with success?

and what your take is on my meat prep. I'd appreciate it!

Your prep seems fine but is more work than I wish to do for daily meals.  I want to spend as little time as possible messing with food.  This is probably another reason I don’t eat much pemmican.  Way too much prep time.  Here’s what I do:

My prep is very simple.  I order all my meat from Slankers Grass Fed Meats in Texas.  I purchase their 2 lb packages of regular ground meat as well as their regular pet food.  Once a year I get about 300 lbs of grass fed suet from a local source near San Fransisco.  They don’t ship so I have to drive up there to get it.  I render most of it so that it can be stored without refrigeration.  I then use the fat to make pemmican (most of which I send out as samples) and also add to my meat mixture to raise the fat content to about 70-75 percent of calories.

Every 10-12 days I thaw 12 lbs of ground beef and 4 ½ lbs of pet food.  I mix these together in a large stainless steel bowl along with about ½ lb of rendered fat. Once everything is mixed well I repackage the mix in 1 ½ packages using Ziploc sandwich bags.  This makes 10 – 12 servings.  I leave a couple out in the refrigerator and refreeze the rest.  Each day I take a package from the refrigerator and set it on the counter to warm up for my daily meal, and take one package from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator to thaw for the next day.

My whole prep time is about 45 minutes once every 10 days to make the daily food packages.  Everything else is just moving packages from the freezer to the refrigerator and from the refrigerator to the counter.  Total prep time for each meal works out to about 5 minutes per day.

Hope this helps,

Lex

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 05, 2011, 02:16:02 am »
ILM. Re:biltong...if you're worried about homemade raw jerky tasting weird, don't be. If you make jerky with a bit of salt and pepper it tastes nice and beefy. As good as biltong, but different.

If you haven't tried it I would.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:22 am »
Hmmmmm, really no magic here.  I consider pemmican an emergency food, a compact food for travel, and a food that can be stored for use during lean times like winter.  This is how it was used by the Cree Indians who invented the stuff.  I don’t think it was ever meant as a sole source of nutrition, but then that is just my opinion. 

Completely agree. Frankly, I see pemmican as dead food...all the nutrients are dried out. I completely agree on a nutrient dense ZC diet. I include organs, coconut oil, grassfed butter and tons of eggs with my grassfed beef.

Offline ILM

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 09, 2011, 07:34:40 am »
Completely agree. Frankly, I see pemmican as dead food...all the nutrients are dried out.

If done at low heat (as it should be), do you have some proof available that the pemmican has all the nutrients dried out?

ILM. Re:biltong.... As good as biltong, but different.

If you haven't tried it I would.

:D Sorry mate, as someone who has had probably 50 pounds of biltong in my life, the jerky simply doesn't come close.

Having said that, I am using my oven on reallllly low heat to dry out strips of meat that I've put in vinegar overnite, and then spiced up the next day. Tasty!

One Life. Live it.

Offline ILM

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 09, 2011, 07:39:58 am »

There are some that have tried a pemmican-only diet long term and they claim success (Delfeugo on ZIOH comes to mind), but, then again, I don’t know the specific circumstances.  One person that I do know about is Danny Roddy.  He ate a pemmican-only diet for two years.  At first things seemed to improve, but over the long term he got strange rashes on his legs and I believe some cravings.  I’ve never gotten any symptoms of any kind eating mostly raw meat with organ meats included through the pet food in my mix.  Is it the small amount of organ meats I eat that make everything work?  I have no idea, but I’ll continue eating them.  Why mess with success?

Absolutely - no reason to mess with success. However, I also know that Danny Roddy chose to eat more pemmican (only) and all his symptoms (including the bruise/ rashes) disappeared quickly.

Your prep seems fine but is more work than I wish to do for daily meals.  I want to spend as little time as possible messing with food.  This is probably another reason I don’t eat much pemmican.  

Hope this helps,

Lex

Sure does Lex - thanks again. However, I was more concerned with your view on the nutritional quality of the meat that I am prepping. (The post is just above this one for reference)

Your insights there would be most appreciated.

Thanks, ILM
One Life. Live it.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 09, 2011, 07:45:48 am »
:D Sorry mate, as someone who has had probably 50 pounds of biltong in my life, the jerky simply doesn't come close.

Having said that, I am using my oven on reallllly low heat to dry out strips of meat that I've put in vinegar overnite, and then spiced up the next day. Tasty!
That's enticing, as I love the taste of plain beef jerky. What's your biltong recipe and method?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ILM

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:26 am »
That's enticing, as I love the taste of plain beef jerky. What's your biltong recipe and method?

Yes, the mere thought has me salivating as I sit and type this  :D

If you google "how to make biltong" - you will come across several sites dedicated to making the heavenly stuff.

Some insights:

a) The box is similar to Lex's pemmican making box.

b) Experiment with different flavours of vinegar (my fave is malt)

c) Experiment for personal preferences in terms of time in marinating the meat in the vinegar. If you love fish&chips, leave it overnight for sure at a minimum

d) The magical spice - bar none - is course ground up roasted coriander.

Here's one website. I never use the bicarb and never find the mould to be a problem where I live (ymmv)

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.BILTONG.HTML
One Life. Live it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk