Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 825577 times)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #1775 on: December 26, 2012, 04:39:32 am »
Hi lex, have you tried tumeric and black pepper as a very strong anti cancer effect?

Offline Roxann

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 27, 2012, 03:41:13 am »
Hi Lex,

I want to get the buffalo 1 1/2 lb pet food from Slankers. How long do you thaw it? Thanks.

Offline Roxann

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:18 am »
I have my answer. I let it thaw at room temperature for about six hours and started eating it. It's the high organ mix.  I like it. I may make this the mainstay of my diet.

I hope you are doing well.

Roxann

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:01 am »
Alive - No, I haven't tried those specific herbs.  I find that most of the herb hype is just that, hype.  All the sure fire herbal cures that I have tried haven't worked at all.

Roxann - I thaw my meat until it is no longer frozen.  No specific time.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 31, 2012, 04:08:51 am »
Another myth busted, at least for me.

My wife had a medical procedure recently that ended up with complications.  This had me cooling my heels in the waiting room of our local hospital for several hours with all the uninsured kids with runny noses and the flu.

Of course I’m very smug in my knowledge that I’m well protected against such common ills as I’m doing all the right things.  I’m eating the proper raw foods, taking large doses of Vitamin C every day,  I’m taking large doses of Zinc daily (the active ingredient in Zicam), I’m taking large doses of selenium daily, and of course, I’m taking large doses of iodine – to the point that my skin has turned yellow.

Yup, I ended up with the common cold.  Sore throat, runny nose, swollen sinuses, hacking cough – the whole nine yards.  It’s been 5 or 6 years since I had a cold like this.  I expect many of you are sure that this is some sort of detox reaction.  I’m unconvinced.  It looks like a common cold, feels like a common cold, and coughs like a common cold – that tells me that it is probably a common cold.  I’ve also had the best medical doctors available (the ones attending to my wife in the hospital for the last 5 days) verify that it is indeed a common cold. 

Anyway, so much for all the theories about perfect diet, Vitamin C, Zinc, and iodine protecting us from things like the cold and flu.  I now have some personal experience to the contrary.

Lex

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 31, 2012, 04:28:51 am »
It’s been 5 or 6 years since I had a cold like this.

Well, you beat the odds by a whole lot. I don't know the exact figures, but I'm sure that "colds per year" in the US runs in the 1 to 3 range. You're doing a great job.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:54 am »
I’m taking large doses of Zinc daily (the active ingredient in Zicam)
My understanding is that the dose of zinc in Zicam is homeopathic strength (meaning nonexistent--see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zicam). If you want a zinc supplement, I recommend taking a chelated form like a zinc/copper amino acid chelate. Chelated forms of zinc are more absorbable and less harsh on the stomach than cheaper zinc supplements and will likely provide much more zinc than Zicam. Though if you don't notice any symptom improvement from a zinc supplement, then I wouldn't bother with any and would try to get zinc from foods.

I’m taking large doses of iodine – to the point that my skin has turned yellow.
Hmmm, that sounds a bit unnerving. Could you be overdoing it?

Anyway, so much for all the theories about perfect diet, Vitamin C, Zinc, and iodine protecting us from things like the cold and flu.  I now have some personal experience to the contrary.
One cold in 5 years does sound like partial protection/defense, just not total protection. I don't think anything offers total protection. I also get fewer and less severe colds and "flus" than I used to, though I'm also not totally immune and didn't expect that raw Paleo would make me so.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #1782 on: December 31, 2012, 05:49:19 am »
Another myth busted, at least for me.

Yup, I ended up with the common cold.  Sore throat, runny nose, swollen sinuses, hacking cough – the whole nine yards.  It’s been 5 or 6 years since I had a cold like this. 

Lex

Not so fast! If it's true that vitamin C is required for the proper digestion of carbohydrates, then you have been overdosing.  "An excess is as good as a poison".
I read somewhere that carnivore bodies use citric acid for similar purpose, and have for years occasionally used a drink of 1/2 lemon juice with a large pinch of dried seawater in a cup of water after the evening meal,
Got citric acid from purebulk.com, haven't tried it yet - still have lemons.

It might be at least 8 years since I had a cold, nothing noticeable anyway, but I get a break for months as it's too cold for the cold virus. Should be -18C/0F tonight.
Learned that in the High Arctic - nobody gets sick if they avoid newcomers from the South.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1783 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:15 am »
Zinc I get from live raw oysters.
Try oysters... it will raise your sperm count to fantastic levels.
I bet your zinc supplement can't raise sperm count levels.
In 2002 when I was into SAD, introducing raw oysters as lunch 3 times a week in 1 month raised my sperm count from 100 million per ml to 300 million per ml.

Vitamin C I get from fresh raw guava.  At the wet market.  And lately we have a tree.
Also get Vitamin C from papaya. 

--------

Sharing my experience maybe 2010.

My wife and 3 kids acquired colds cough and phlegm and I eventually had a cold myself.

Which led me to suspect environmental causes. (Since raw paleo dieters usually do not get colds.)

Found out eventually our house which was submerged months previously in a flood still had 8 sacks of fine dirt was mud in the 6 inch attic space.

Plus later on we found a leaking water pipe in the wall between our shower and storage room.  This was also giving out bad fungus smell which was making us sick.

-----------

Also my experience with Chicken Pox when my kids got it.

I was not immune from Chicken Pox and I got it as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:04:20 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #1784 on: December 31, 2012, 11:22:10 am »
GS, didn't you get a chicken pox/smallpox vaccine as a child? All westerners do.

William has a point. I am always amused by my Mother who insisted always in the past that one got colds from being out in the cold. Not true at all. The viruses lie dormant then.

As regards Lex's cold, I got a flu once, 4 years into being rawpalaeo. it could not be described as "detox" as I had clearly gotten it from my brother who'd just been recovering from a severe bout of flu himself.

As regards the excess artificial , processed forms of zinc:- all a waste of time, as GS has pointed out, zinc in the form of raw, wildcaught oysters is far superior. By all means carry on trying the iodine protocol, but I am highly dubious.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: December 31, 2012, 12:55:40 pm »
Well, you beat the odds by a whole lot. I don't know the exact figures, but I'm sure that "colds per year" in the US runs in the 1 to 3 range. You're doing a great job.

Lex is rarely around children, in large workplaces, or in hospitals.  Basically, he's almost never exposed.  I think that's the main reason he hasn't gotten sick.

Hospitals have some of the worst germs/viruses around. it's not surprising he got sick.

I still get sick, but I don't feel particularly bad, physically, when I do.  Mainly just mucus and a stuffy nose.  Not fun, but I'm still able to work. OTOH, my SAD-eating coworkers are often out of work for DAYS when they get the same cold/flu that I do. 

It's nice to be more robust. 

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: December 31, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »

William has a point. I am always amused by my Mother who insisted always in the past that one got colds from being out in the cold. Not true at all. The viruses lie dormant then.
The worst cold I got was by 32° C - 90° F (about night and day) in Sri Lanka on the Indian Ocean shore. I was eating cooked food at the time, but also plenty of jackfruits and other fruits.

it could not be described as "detox" as I had clearly gotten it from my brother who'd just been recovering from a severe bout of flu himself.
Why not? Most (if not all) virus carry a fragment of DNA or RNA which apparently provides the body a complement of  genetic info allowing  a specific detox program — for new and noxious chemical species generated by cooking and other modern processes.

Why this idea that there’s a fundamental difference between a “common cold” and a “detox cold”? What would be the purpose of a “common cold” then ? What is coming out of a runny nose? Isn’t there something the body expels for some reason?

A NEW THEORETICAL MODEL OF VIRAL PHENOMENA

As regards the excess artificial , processed forms of zinc:- all a waste of time, as GS has pointed out, zinc in the form of raw, wildcaught oysters is far superior. By all means carry on trying the iodine protocol, but I am highly dubious.
I concur. We don’t need pure chemical substances but minerals and trace elements included in living organisms, embedded in complex organic molecular structures.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:00:06 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: January 01, 2013, 04:32:45 am »
Lex I think "getting a cold" is evidence that your immune system is stong and functioning well, I wouldn't get a flu shoot even if I did belive they worked. 
  I work in a hospital, and care for people who die from the flu. I get the flu/colds, and I recover. It's like immune exercises, where you build resistance and excrete phlem.
    wipe your sore nose and be proud of how healthy you are, I doubt you'll die and if you let yourself rest a little you'll probably feel better than ever when you recover.
I hope so  ;)
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 01, 2013, 06:42:01 am »
@Phil - The zinc I take is a chelated form.  It is part of the iodine protocol that I'm working on for the BPH issue.  I take 50mg/day which is a fairly large dose.

@William - The Vit C is part of the iodine protocol and is considered very important if not critical to its success.  As I remember you are the one that recommended the iodine protocol in the first place and provided the links describing the critical co-factors of which Vitamin C is one.  I don't remember any disclaimer stating that if I don't eat a carb centric diet that I should not take vit C as part of the iodine protocol.   News to me.

@Cherimoya_Kid - Where do you get the idea that I'm seldom exposed to children or other sources of common infections?  Since we've never met, I'd be intersted in what evidence you have to support such a statement.  I'm sure the students of the classes I teach, the youth groups I support, the community organizations that I belong to, and my class mates at the local Jr College that I attend would be interested as well.

@Adora - Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.  I doubt that I'll die, well not today anyway.  Just wanted to let people know that no matter what you do, you are not immune from the everyday maladies the befall everyone.  So many people seem to think that there is some "perfect" lifestyle that will protect them from everything.  When I was young I believed this myself, then the realities of life got in the way and burst my bubble.  I try to report the good and the bad in my journal just so people know that there is no perfection in life, at least on on this earth.

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:43 am »
@Phil - The zinc I take is a chelated form.  It is part of the iodine protocol that I'm working on for the BPH issue.  I take 50mg/day which is a fairly large dose.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation.

As regards the excess artificial , processed forms of zinc:- all a waste of time, as GS has pointed out, zinc in the form of raw, wildcaught oysters is far superior.
For you, yes. For me, no. Chelated zinc supplements do work to raise my zinc levels, based on zinc tally tests, and they do work for me to get rid of acne breakouts if I eat too much carbs.

Shellfish aren't available year-round where I live, whereas zinc supplements are, and the supplements are far more convenient. I don't take them every day, but they come in handy when needed.

It's nice to be more robust.
Here, here.

Just wanted to let people know that no matter what you do, you are not immune from the everyday maladies the befall everyone. So many people seem to think that there is some "perfect" lifestyle that will protect them from everything.  When I was young I believed this myself, then the realities of life got in the way and burst my bubble.  I try to report the good and the bad in my journal just so people know that there is no perfection in life, at least on on this earth.
Thanks for those wise words, Lex.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #1790 on: January 01, 2013, 11:20:42 pm »

@William - The Vit C is part of the iodine protocol and is considered very important if not critical to its success.  As I remember you are the one that recommended the iodine protocol in the first place and provided the links describing the critical co-factors of which Vitamin C is one.  I don't remember any disclaimer stating that if I don't eat a carb centric diet that I should not take vit C as part of the iodine protocol.   News to me.
Lex

The iodine protocol is made for the carbohydrate-addicted, and vit. C is necessary for them. Not so for us.
I bet that the idea that carnivores might try iodine has never occurred to the inventors.
I used to use vit. C to be rid of the foul taste of cigarettes, no longer needed since I started taking the ATP co-factors.

Beware zinc!   I can't find it in the iodine protocol at breastcancerchoices.org
It is a copper antagonist, and must have washed too much copper out of me, resulting in supposedly deadly heart arrhythmia. I took 30 mg/day with 2 gm. Vit. C for years, and did not know that it must be balanced with copper separately - IIRC about 4 hours separation.
There should be plenty of zinc in the raw beef you eat.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:27 am »

@Cherimoya_Kid - Where do you get the idea that I'm seldom exposed to children or other sources of common infections?  Since we've never met, I'd be intersted in what evidence you have to support such a statement.  I'm sure the students of the classes I teach, the youth groups I support, the community organizations that I belong to, and my class mates at the local Jr College that I attend would be interested as well.

Lex, teaching a few part-time classes is not the same as being in close contact, with recirculated air, 40+ hours a week, with several hundred co-workers.  In addition, even THAT kind of environment is nowhere near the germfest that a daycare or elementary school is.

So yeah, compared to many people's daily lives, you are NOT getting much exposure.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:14 am »
Lex, teaching a few part-time classes is not the same as being in close contact, with recirculated air, 40+ hours a week, with several hundred co-workers.  In addition, even THAT kind of environment is nowhere near the germfest that a daycare or elementary school is.

So yeah, compared to many people's daily lives, you are NOT getting much exposure.

For someone who has never met me and knows nothing about how I spend my time, your unwavering conviction in the accuracy of your assumtions is breathtaking.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 02, 2013, 11:41:17 am »
The iodine protocol is made for the carbohydrate-addicted, and vit. C is necessary for them. Not so for us.
I bet that the idea that carnivores might try iodine has never occurred to the inventors.
I used to use vit. C to be rid of the foul taste of cigarettes, no longer needed since I started taking the ATP co-factors.

What evidence do you have that Vitamin C is not recommended as part of the iodine protocol for people eating a low carb diet?  I've found nothing to support this.

Beware zinc!   I can't find it in the iodine protocol at breastcancerchoices.org
It is a copper antagonist, and must have washed too much copper out of me, resulting in supposedly deadly heart arrhythmia. I took 30 mg/day with 2 gm. Vit. C for years, and did not know that it must be balanced with copper separately - IIRC about 4 hours separation.
There should be plenty of zinc in the raw beef you eat.

The suggestion for supplementing with zinc came from a pub-med extract.  I decided to go with it for the relative short term of this experiement.

Lex

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:55 am »
For someone who has never met me and knows nothing about how I spend my time, your unwavering conviction in the accuracy of your assumtions is breathtaking.

Lex

Dude, you don't have a job.  You don't have small children, and you're not confined with hundreds of other people in an enclosed space with recirculated air for 40+ hours a week, or anything like it.  You simply don't have the exposure.  However, there are plenty of people who DO have FAR more exposure than you.  My wife works in a daycare.  Daycares are the most germ-ridden places around.  Those kids carry communicable diseases that I've never even heard of.  I am exposed by proxy to those germs, and sometimes directly, when I visit her at work. 

For the last 7 years or so, I've worked mainly in large offices and call centers, where literally hundreds of people, many/most of whom have small children under the age of 8 at home, all breathe the same air for 40 hours a week or more. 

You've been pretty clear about how proud you are that you've retired young.  Well, some of us have to work for a living.  That sometimes means being around the most snot-covered and germ-ridden members of our species, small children. It also can mean being around the parents of such children.  In my family, it's both.

I'll be happy to link you to the relevant studies about infectious disease vectors in our country, if you'd like.  And drop the attitude, please, OK?  You're trying my patience.  No one cares about your feelings.  this is a fact-based message board.  ROFL

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 02, 2013, 01:23:34 pm »
What evidence do you have that Vitamin C is not recommended as part of the iodine protocol for people eating a low carb diet?  I've found nothing to support this.

The reduced need for Vitamin C is mentioned in Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat... book. He states:
Vitamin C is the one vitamin that is relatively scarce in animal products. But it appears to be the case, as it certainly is for the B vitamins, that the more fattening carbohydrates we consume, the more of these vitamins we need. We use B vitamins to metabolize glucose in our cells. So, the more carbohydrates we consume, the more glucose we burn (instead of fatty acids), and the more B vitamins we need from our diets.

Taubes, Gary (2010-12-28). Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (p. 176). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Of course, he is not directing his remarks to your iodine protocol, but it's a thought that might apply. HTH
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

William

« Reply #1796 on: January 02, 2013, 01:32:56 pm »
Lex

None, providing that it isn't consumed at the same time as iodine. I've tried it, and found no benefit.
Your circumstance might be different; if it helps I hope you will let us know.

I can't resist the snot-nosed kids stuff - The Germ theory of Disease is Dead! No kidding.
I thought we all knew that malnutrition is the cause of practically all disease.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 02, 2013, 02:02:10 pm »

I can't resist the snot-nosed kids stuff - The Germ theory of Disease is Dead! No kidding.
I thought we all knew that malnutrition is the cause of practically all disease.

William, this is off topic for this thread.  Start another thread if you want to have that particular argument, please.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:31 am »
This is all highly speculative theory, but it seems to fit the discussion.

I tend to take the AV stance on viral illness, and view viral outbreaks as a necessary though sometimes painful and unpleasant cleansing process, at the very least. I suspect there may be a more divine purpose at work within the biological matrix which virus are an integral part. Imagine the possibility that the emergence of a virus is triggered by some type of internally driven genetic response to environmentally adverse circumstances. By spreading through the population and inducing similar purgative reactions in other members of the same species, perhaps viral outbreaks are a way of maintaining genetic homogeneity and viability within the population as a whole. Not only do they cleanse and purge, but the can also alter the functions of our DNA leading to mutation and contributing to the process of adaption and evolution. Those organisms within the population who are in most need of purging waste or coping with deficiency or imbalance will of course have the most severe reactions, while the purest and most physically and genetically robust may only have a slight sniffle.

This is why suppressing viral outbreaks artificially through drugs and vaccines, due to the ignorance of the medical establishment is so insane. Evidence now shows that children who are not allowed to go through the childhood viral cleanse, such as chicken pox, hpv, measles, etc; while at the same time being shot up with genetically engineered viral strains, are being genetically culled and mutilated. This generation being raised in the age of socialized medicine as a result will be more prone to degenerative diseases that are now starting earlier in life. Their offspring will be less able to naturally adapt to environmental change, and it will ultimately lead to a Devolution of the species if these conditions of ignorance persist.

Medical science is either suppressing these new discovers, or perhaps is just ignorant of the implications of such an alternative theory. Either way the results are devastating.

There is still so much that isn't understood about viral illness, that its ludicrous for anyone PHD or Caveman like myself to make assumptions regarding causation of the common cold. From personal experience I can say that after going raw paleo my own chronic viral outbreaks have ceased. The year prior to going raw paleo I caught hand foot and mouth disease, viral meningitis, swine flu, and K-9 pravo. These were some severe purging reactions, it was a painful hell that I thought I wouldn't escape from. Looking back, honestly I think it was all biologically necessary(pain is just weakness leaving the body) and for all I know it may have lead to some kind of mutation that will better the next generations chance of survival in this ever changing world. Whatever the case was; These chronic recurring outbreaks have ceased after going paleo, and now when everyone gets full blow cold, I will often feel just a little off for a day, if any symptoms at all.

There are so many factors and co-factors involved that no one can be sure, considering how complicated the world has become in these post paleolithic epochs, but I believe that personally my chronic viral sickness was a combination toxicity and nutritional deficiency. These are the big two factors to consider. The dynamics of these two factors are different in every individual case, so much so, that modern medicine has yet to fully understand the implications and complications of such revelations as it pertains to treating diseases of civilization ;or even the common cold.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:19:16 am by TylerDurden »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: January 03, 2013, 05:30:57 am »
Sore throat, runny nose, swollen sinuses, hacking cough – the whole nine yards.

This is totally normal body response for unfamiliar virus strain.  The stronger the immune system the milder the response.   One little cold in 5-6 years - not bad at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk