Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824281 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #1425 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »
One thing I noticed whenever I visited Greece was the huge amount of cooked grease often  found on the various dishes.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 07, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »
Hi Lex,

have you seen any changes in your PSA levels?

Löwenherz

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:34 am »
Dorothy,
I use an FA73 commercial fat analyzer.  It is a small unit about 6" square and you put a precisely measured amount of meat in it and it cooks out the fat which drips into a small vial.  You then measure the height of the fat in the vial and it tells you how much fat is in the sample by % of weight.  This is the same unit that is used by meat markets and grocery stores to assure that they are meeting USDA standards when they label the fat content of their ground meat.  The device is very simple, but they charge over $500 for it.

I measured the Primal Beef and it came out in the 18%-19% range.

Tyler,
They love their olive oil.  My wife drenches everything in it.  It seems that if they don't add 2 cups of olive oil to every dish they don't think it is worth eating.  They also cook everything to death.  If there is the slightest bit of pink in the meat, many Greeks won't eat it.  I think the olive oil thing comes from being a poor country and needing calories to work hard in the fields all day (which no one does anymore).  They cook everything with lots of oil and then dredge slices of bread in it when eating.  It provides calories where meat is scarse.  I know my wife said it was a big deal that on Sunday they got to have chicken.  One chicken was divided between a family of 8.  Obviously no one got much.  The rest of the week was potatoes, greens, or squashes cooked in lots of olive oil and served with bread.

Lowenherz,

PSA levels have risen slowly over the past few years.  I remember 20 years ago when they were .5.  Now they are running 2 - 2.5.  Like everything else we measure, I'm not totally sure what it means, but at this point my doctor is not concerned.

Lex

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 13, 2012, 02:42:29 am »
..She suffers from diabetes, gall stones, very high triglycerides, cholesterol off the charts, blocked bile ducts (requiring medical intervention every couple of years), and rheumatoid arthritis that is slowly disfiguring the joints in her fingers.  She knows that she can control much of this with diet, but in her words "I eat what Greeks eat", and that's the end of that.  It is her life and she makes her choices just as I make my choices and we both must live with the consequences of our decisions.

Does your wife eat a lot of complex carbs?

Löwenherz

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 14, 2012, 10:19:19 am »
For most people I recommend that they eat mostly red meat and fat, drink mainly water, and choose one or two of the following each day:  a small serving of vegetable, small salad, piece of fruit, or a small serving of a starchy root vegetable. 

What starchy root vegetable would you recommend and what is your recommendation for the preparation? I'm under the impression that most starchy root vegetables (like potatoes) are harmful when eaten raw.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 16, 2012, 05:23:37 am »
Does your wife eat a lot of complex carbs?

She eats lots of carbs both simple and complex.  Every meal is carb based, (pasta, rice, potatoes, bread etc.).  Loves her deserts: candy, cake, cookies, ice cream etc.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:43 am »
What starchy root vegetable would you recommend and what is your recommendation for the preparation? I'm under the impression that most starchy root vegetables (like potatoes) are harmful when eaten raw. 

I really don't have any recommendations as to what to choose to eat.  You'll have to decide that for yourself.  There are pros and conns for everything (including meat!).  As for cooking starches, I can verify that raw root starches are difficult to digest.  When I was a vegetarian I found that potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, sprouted grains, sprouted beans etc don't digest as well raw as when they are cooked.  I might even make the leap of intuition that it was the  inclusion of these plant foods to our diet that started the cooking revolution - but that is just a guess.

Lex
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:36:48 am by TylerDurden »

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 04, 2012, 12:08:50 am »
Trouble may be brewing in paradise as I'm begining to notice some relatively minor problems poping up.  Some may be due to just getting older, some may just be ongoing issues not related to diet, and some may be be attributable to my Zero Carb diet.  As they say on Fox News, I’ll report and you can decide.

As I’ve reported previously in this journal I suffer from BPH (enlarged prostate) and take an Alpha blocker (Doxasozin) to help make passing urine easier.  I’ve been taking 2mg/day for almost 10 years but have recently upped the dose to 4mg/day.  This would indicate that the problem is slowly getting worse so the ZC diet may have slowed the progress but it hasn’t  stopped it.  Not sure where to go from here on this issue.  May try some of the herbal remedies, but if I did so, I don’t think I could say that I was eating Zero Carb in good conscience.  The herbal remedies may be tablets of concentrated plant extracts, but this only means that if I were actually eating the plants themselves, I’d be eating a lot of them.  I’m currently looking at “The Prostate Formula” from Real Health Laboratories which has good reviews, as well as “Crila” which seems to be a relative newcomer to the field and is a plant extract from Vietnam.  Neither of these is a cure, but they may reduce the dependence on the more invasive Alpha blocker drugs.

Due to the BPH and associated urine retention I tend to suffer from bouts of prostatisis (inflamed prostate) and general bacterial urinary track infections.  The last episode was about 18 months ago and as is usual for this sort of thing I ended up in the emergency room on a weekend with a fever of 102+F and voiding small amounts of urine every 20 minutes or so, with the usual painful burning and the whole nine yards.  It was a slow day in the emergency room so I got the Full Monty treatment.  Started with a catheter to check urine output (this took 8 hours), IV antibiotics, CT scan to check to see if my old kidney stone problem had returned (it hadn’t), and finally a prescription for Cipro, and instructions to see my personal doctor within the next couple of days.  Good thing I followed up as my doctor took a urine sample to send to the lab for testing. Ended up being a Staph infection that was resistant to Cipro, (as well as most other common antibiotics), and by the time we got it under control, bladder, kidneys, and prostate were all involved.  Was on an 8 week regimen of an antibiotic cocktail that did the trick.  None of this seems to be associated with diet and since these things have been recurring every 2 to 5 years for the last 20 years (I’ve always been subject to infections and especially UTI’s) I didn’t report it here, but doing so now so that you have a complete picture and you can decide for yourself.

In late December/early January I had what appeared to be a budding UTI only this time it happened during a week day so I got to skip the visit to the emergency room.  Had some minor burning when urinating and the glans of the penis was inflamed around the opening.  Didn’t appear to involve the prostate, kidneys or bladder yet, and there was no fever, so I thought I’d caught it early and it would be relatively simple to deal with.  Went to the doc and he took the usual urine sample to send to the lab and prescribed the same cocktail of antibiotics that worked in the previous case to get things started – that was a Thursday.  The lab needs at least 48 hours to culture the samples so I set up an appointment to check back on the results on the following Monday.  By Monday I was in real trouble as the drugs hadn’t done a thing.  The lab reported that they were unable to get any growth on the sample so it didn’t appear to be a bacterial infection.  After much testing and handwringing it turned out to be a fungal yeast infection and had to be treated with Miconazole Nitrate as well as the antibiotic.  This seems to put to rest the idea that Zero Carb will prevent fungal and yeast infections as this is clearly not the case.  Another Myth busted.  Though diet clearly did not prevent this problem both my doctor and I don’t believe it to be the cause of it either, but again, you get to decide.

Now we get down to things that might be more relevant to diet.  Over the last 18 to 24 months I’ve noticed a very slow but steady weight gain.  I’m now up to 175 lbs which is considered lean and almost perfect for my 6’1” frame but is about 15 lbs heavier than my previous plateau at 160 lbs that had remained stable for several years.  I don’t weigh myself often so the way that I noticed this was that I had to consistently let out a belt notch or two.  Waist has now gone from 32” to 34”.  It has been almost 6 years now since I started this ZC adventure and there have been continual changes over that time.  Early on the changes were fast and dramatic.  Over time the changes are much smaller and slower but as you can see they are continuing.  This also puts another nail in the coffin of the belief that you can’t gain weight on Zero Carb.  This belief is just plain false.  I’m certainly not fat or overweight by any means, but the trend bothers me.  My belief is that my weight should be stable if I’m doing things right.  A steady increase of weight, no matter how slow, could become problematic over time so it may be time to look at making some changes.

My eyesight has also progressively gotten worse over the last few years.  Probably not caused by diet, but again, a ZC diet didn’t halt or prevent the problem.  Five years ago I needed reading glasses of +1.75 and no correction for distance.  Today I need reading glasses of +2.75 and though I still don’t correct for distance, I’m noticing problems, so will most likely need a small amount of distance correction in the near future as well. I expect this will become an issue when next I take the vision test to renew my driver’s license. 

Last but not least, I’ve been noticing allergy type symptoms.  This has manifested itself as sneezing several times during the day, coupled with a constant runny nose with minor sinus congestion.  We are in the middle of winter in Southern California and Pollen and other irritants are rather low.  This is also a fairly new development over the last 18-24 months, (hmmmm, seems to co-inside with the weight gain), as I’ve never had this in the past.  The nasal discharge is clear and watery and the doc says there’s no sign of a virus or bacterial infection.  The medical diagnosis is allergies.  To me, this is the most worrisome of the problems.  If all was well in Zero Carb land then suddenly being afflicted with allergies shouldn’t happen.

None of this is earth shattering, and by themselves, each of these problems is small, but taken together it may point to it being time to reevaluate my dietary protocol and look at making some changes. Annual labs are still good but they only test for the normal things like blood glucose, cholesterol, and due to my age and prostate issues, PSA. I had dinner with Danny Roddy last night and his research has lead him to believe that more hormal tests should be done - especially thyroid related levels. I get the T4-T3 and TSH done in my annual lab tests but Danny believes there are some stressor hormoes that need to be checked as well.  Not sure I buy into all the hormone replacement therapy stuff that is so derigueur these days, but it is a place to start looking, and other than giving up a bit of blood to the medical vampires, the testing should be fairly harmless.

More on this as it develops.

Lex

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:36:58 am by lex_rooker »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1433 on: February 04, 2012, 01:09:08 am »
Things that pop into my mind:

If you have a skilled beam ray operator in your city, he may do a better job than the medical drugs.

I would use herbs instead of drugs. (olive leaf, oregano, etc.)

I would manipulate my body with high fat, high carb binges to jack up metabolism and speed up the healing process.  I don't see why you have to experiment with zero carb forever.  You can go back to zc once you are well.

Eyesight may be corrected by pinhole glasses.

I would look at distilling your own water.  Squeeze just a touch of orange for organic structure.  For better hydration than plain water.

Get a hulda clark book and check your home for pollution sources.  Things you put on your body, home pollution, etc.

If you have stopped having sex, you may try getting back in action, it's good exercise for the prostate.

There are prostate massage devices out there that work.

See a chiropractor, see an acupuncturist... get the highest levels of those experts as you can get.

You will need to repopulate your gut with probiotics.  Get a combination of different probiotics and overdose on them.  Include high meat.

a 3 day VCO detox will clear you of ALL fungal and yeast infections. You will like this, it is zero carb... with lemons and virgin coconut oil.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:28:10 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:58 am »
Goodsamaritan tell can you give me link to how to do this coconut oil lemon juice detox?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 04, 2012, 02:54:14 am »
If you have a skilled beam ray operator in your city, he may do a better job than the medical drugs.

Talk about retro.  I didn’t know Rife machines were still around.  Was into that stuff in the 1960’s and didn’t find that it did anything at all.

I would use herbs instead of drugs. (olive leaf, oregano, etc.)
Not sure if herbal remedies are any safer than some of the more modern drugs.  A friend of mine died from kidney failure from drinking a popular herbal tea (since removed from the market) in the 1970’s.  I know that some of the popular concentrated prostate remedies have led to heart and other issues so will tread with caution here.  The medication I’m taking has a long track record of safety with few side effects, but I feel that it is worthwhile to review the herbal alternatives every few years to see if there is something I’d consider trying.  I have tried olive leaf and oregano in the past and they didn’t have any side effects, but they didn’t have any other measurable effects either so I stopped taking them.

I would manipulate my body with high fat, high carb binges to jack up metabolism and speed up the healing process.  I don't see why you have to experiment with zero carb forever.  You can go back to zc once you are well.

I’m not into binging or manipulation without careful thought and a clear objective.  I have no idea what I’d be healing since I don’t know the source of the problem.   My metabolism seems to be relatively high as it, so not sure there is anything to jack up.  I also have no way to directly measure my metabolism and not convinced that binging on carbs would do anything but create temporary metabolic havoc.  Just not willing to do this without a clear understanding of what I’m dealing with and a well thought out plan. 

Eyesight may be corrected by pinhole glasses.
There’s that retro thing again.  Pinhole glasses (I still have mine) were popular in the 1960’s  I think I got my pair at the same time I purchased Rena Taylor’s Hunza Book at Waton’s Healthfood Store in Visalia Circa 1964. They are worthless for presbyopia.

I would look at distilling your own water.  Squeeze just a touch of orange for organic structure.  For better hydration than plain water.

Did the water distilling thing years ago.  Today I use a more modern deionizer and filter system.  My water has less than 1ppm of anything measurable in it.  That is as good as or better than distilled water.  I can't think of anything more hydrating than water since by definition, only water can hydrate.  No clue what organic structure is, but it sounds impressive - and you say all it takes is a bit of orange juice?

Get a hulda clark book and check your home for pollution sources.  Things you put on your body, home pollution, etc.

Unfortunately Hulda Clark was run out of town in disgrace here in the US years ago.  It seems the Federal Trade Commission had trouble verifying her claims so she went to Mexico where actually having something with verifiable benefit is not necessary.  As I remember, her big thing was the Liver Flush and her magic multi frequency cure-all machines ( I think one was called the Zapper so you know that had to be good).  I think I culled her books from my personal health library in the 1990s.  Nothing she claimed could ever be verified by anyone else and since I got no benefit from her ideas I dumped the lot.

If you have stopped having sex, you may try getting back in action, it's good exercise for the prostate. There are prostate massage devices out there that work.

My doctor recommended trying prostate massage 7 or 8 years ago and I performed it regularly for over a year before it became clear that it wasn’t going to work in my case.  I understand that it can be helpful for some people but it didn’t work for me.

See a chiropractor, see an acupuncturist... get the highest levels of those experts as you can get.

Can’t tell you how much money I spent on chiropractors over the years, all to no avail.  They all found mis-alignments, that when corrected would put me in the peak of condition, but all I ever noticed was that my wallet got lighter while headaches and other issues persisted.  Never tried an acupuncturist.  The idea of being stuck with needles for no other purpose than to be stuck with needles never appealed to me.  I’ve had friends and family that went to acupuncturists over the years but all have given up on them with no long term resolution to their problems.

You will need to repopulate your gut with probiotics.  Get a combination of different probiotics and overdose on them.  Include high meat.

I do this during and after taking anti-biotics as these tend to rec havoc on the bacteria population of the digestive system, and taking a dose of probiotics speeds up the natural replenishment of intestinal flora.  I’ve noticed no other positive benefit from doing this and my experience has been that taking probiotics on a regular basis is a waste of time and money.  If taking probiotics had any material effect on the conditions I’m experiencing, I’ve taken them on enough occasions over the years to have noticed.  I’ve never noticed any change in my various health conditions from taking probiotics other than those related to the digestive system.  Once the gut flora is reestablished, taking further doses has had no measurable effect.

a 3 day VCO detox will clear you of ALL fungal and yeast infections. You will like this, it is zero carb... with lemons and virgin coconut oil.
Been there, done that (several times), it’s never worked when a medically verifiable infection was present.

Lex
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:35:57 am by lex_rooker »

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 04, 2012, 03:34:18 am »
Lex you said you tried probiotics, did you try high meat. I have noticed that this is best done exactly a AV says. I have 2-3 small bites before eating anything else, chew well, swallow and rise my mouth with water, but I don't swallow the water or eat anything else for 10 mins.
     Also, is all of your food prefrozen? I notice a big difference in fresh.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 04, 2012, 03:34:50 am »
Re BEP Benign enlarged prostate, I had that issue years ago. I tried a large # of different things which helped somewhat, but in my case, what did the trick was I stopped drinking pasteurized milk. Instantly the problem was history. Raw milk is no problem for me. I am not suggesting that you do anything BTW, just that that is what worked for me.

I bought a zapper off of the web and it works like a charm on stubborn infections that I get from splinters from woodworking with cedar and (it's  long story) an infection that I got from kitesurfing and another infection on my nose. Zap it and next day it is gone.

It's essentially related to the beam ray, but is a very weak version that essentially doesn't penetrate further than the skin.

The jury is out on Hulda Clarke. I essentially think she is not playing with a full deck, but I am not sure. For instance she says to use plastic foodware. This is a very bad idea, considering the issues with the chemicals involved causing all kinds of problems such as messing up young girls causing younger puberty and there is speculation on it causing young boys to be space cadets and a host of other issues.

Beam ray machines. Like anything out there, there are good and bad ones. I have read of quite a few people who swear by them and seen video of them talking at length about them. I am still in the figuring out stage. I can see potential, but I want proof as they ain't cheap.

If they work as advertised they are worth the investment. I hope to get a chance to see one operate in the next few months. There are versions coming out that are approved by the FDA using a limited range of frequencies. The speculation is that the certification process is so difficult/expensive that the applicants decided to go for a limited range initially just for certification and possibly go for growth down the road.

Vision.

My wife and I discovered sungazing about 2.5 yrears ago. She was told by her eye doctor in February that she would need an operation for glaucoma, glasses for driving, at the next annual checkup and 3.5 diopter lenses.

We started sungazing according to HRM's method that July and at her next visit her glasses went back 10 years to 1.5 diopters, glaucoma gone, operation forgotten, in fact the doc had to measure everything twice as it didn't make sense. She is stable since and can read large print books.

Mine was around 1.2 diopters, but is now around 1.0, if I use them at all. I can read the newspaper and only use glasses when it is dark or I am tired.

There are a number of Ayurvedic solutions for prostate. I can't think of all of them right now as I am away from my library, but asparagus and dates (Medjool) come to mind immediately.
Cheers
Al

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 04, 2012, 03:47:10 am »
Lex you said you tried probiotics, did you try high meat. I have noticed that this is best done exactly a AV says. I have 2-3 small bites before eating anything else, chew well, swallow and rise my mouth with water, but I don't swallow the water or eat anything else for 10 mins.
     Also, is all of your food prefrozen? I notice a big difference in fresh.
Yes, I've done high meat and a most of the other natural methods of reestablishing intestinal flora.  They all work well for the intended purpose of reestablishing intestinal flora, but beyond that I've found no additional benefit.

All my food comes frozen.  I've tried fresh for extended periods to see if it made any measurable difference and I could find no difference at all.  To people that see a difference, I encourge you to do what works.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 04, 2012, 04:26:30 am »
Re BEP Benign enlarged prostate, I had that issue years ago. I tried a large # of different things which helped somewhat, but in my case, what did the trick was I stopped drinking pasteurized milk. Instantly the problem was history. Raw milk is no problem for me. I am not suggesting that you do anything BTW, just that that is what worked for me.
Wish it were this simple for me.  I haven’t drunk milk of any kind for many years, so it can’t be a milk issue, pasteurized or otherwise.

I bought a zapper off of the web and it works like a charm on stubborn infections that I get from splinters from woodworking with cedar and (it's  long story) an infection that I got from kitesurfing and another infection on my nose. Zap it and next day it is gone.

It's essentially related to the beam ray, but is a very weak version that essentially doesn't penetrate further than the skin.
I did a lot of research on the Zapper and the Beam Ray 40 years ago.  Being a certified electronic genius  ;)  (I was building Tesla Coils when I was in the 7th grade), I decided to build my own.  My oscilloscope said my machines were doing exactly what they were supposed to do, but they had little or no measurable effect on the problems they were supposed to cure.  We had a healing practitioner come with his Beam Ray machine to our local Watson’s Healthfood Store.  I was excited to go see the real thing.  Many people lined up to get treatment but as I remember there weren't any objective measurable results.  At that point I came to the conclusion that it didn’t work as well as advertised and gave up on the project.  I’m glad that your experience is positive and if it works for you then by all means stick with it.

The jury is out on Hulda Clarke. I essentially think she is not playing with a full deck, but I am not sure. For instance she says to use plastic foodware. This is a very bad idea, considering the issues with the chemicals involved causing all kinds of problems such as messing up young girls causing younger puberty and there is speculation on it causing young boys to be space cadets and a host of other issues.
Apparently the US Government didn’t think she was playing with a full deck either.  I never found her ideas of any practical use.

Beam ray machines. Like anything out there, there are good and bad ones. I have read of quite a few people who swear by them and seen video of them talking at length about them. I am still in the figuring out stage. I can see potential, but I want proof as they ain't cheap.

If they work as advertised they are worth the investment. I hope to get a chance to see one operate in the next few months. There are versions coming out that are approved by the FDA using a limited range of frequencies. The speculation is that the certification process is so difficult/expensive that the applicants decided to go for a limited range initially just for certification and possibly go for growth down the road.
As I mentioned above, the test equipment showed that the one I built was doing exactly the same thing as the one the healing practitioner had, and to the best of my recollection neither of them did anything objectively measurable, good or bad, in relation to the human body.

My wife and I discovered sungazing about 2.5 years ago. She was told by her eye doctor in February that she would need an operation for glaucoma, glasses for driving, at the next annual checkup and 3.5 diopter lenses.

We started sungazing according to HRM's method that July and at her next visit her glasses went back 10 years to 1.5 diopters, glaucoma gone, operation forgotten, in fact the doc had to measure everything twice as it didn't make sense. She is stable since and can read large print books.

Mine was around 1.2 diopters, but is now around 1.0, if I use them at all. I can read the newspaper and only use glasses when it is dark or I am tired.
It is interesting that I had a similar experience when I went ZC.  My eye doctor had me at 2.5 and within a year of starting ZC I was back at 1.75.  Unfortunately the improvement was short lived and over the last few years my eyesight has slowly but steadily degraded again to 2.75.  Sungazing in various forms is not new to the Natural Hygiene world.  It has been around as long as I can remember.  If it works for you, great, keep it up.

There are a number of Ayurvedic solutions for prostate. I can't think of all of them right now as I am away from my library, but asparagus and dates (Medjool) come to mind immediately.
I’ve researched the asparagus solutions and many others as well, though I must admit that I’ve not heard of the Medjool date protocol.  None of the ones I tried had any measurable effect.  I may try the date thing if I decide to move on from ZC as I love Medjool dates.  I used to eat tons of them when I was a vegan, so if they were a remedy for BPH then one might reasonably wonder why I got this affliction in the first place.

Lex
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:34:38 am by lex_rooker »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:57 am »
I've got a friend who had prostate problems from a weight-gain supplement, he started a website http://prostatesecrets.com/prostate-vitamins.htm   He uses several different herbs in his prostate formula.

Also, I've read that mango seed is good for prostate issues, although I've never tried it, since my prostate is fine.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 04, 2012, 05:21:28 am »
I've got a friend who had prostate problems from a weight-gain supplement, he started a website http://prostatesecrets.com/prostate-vitamins.htm   He uses several different herbs in his prostate formula.

Also, I've read that mango seed is good for prostate issues, although I've never tried it, since my prostate is fine.
Interesting site.  I'll add it to my list of products to investigate.

Lex

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:16 am »
Lex - I can totally relate to the trip down memory lane. Oy.

Just because the government was after Hulda Clarke doesn't mean that she didn't know something because the government has a tendency to go after people that do know things. The thing that proves to me without a shadow of a doubt that she was a hoax is that she died of cancer when she wrote book after book on how to cure and prevent it and the zapper she created was supposed to cure it.

Just because one person you knew died because of an herbal remedy pales in comparison with how many people die in the US from completely preventable modern medical mistakes (it's the third highest cause of death in the US the Journal of Modern Medicine says) - and you don't shun all modern medicine - and it doesn't mean you will die or even get bad results from herbs - but it also doesn't mean that just any herb will help. Saw Palmetto has been proven double blind testing to have a better affect at helping some prostate problems than drugs without the side-affects. 

Your weight gain I don't see as problem until it becomes one. Getting to be an ideal weight if anything could be a beneficial sign.

Here is a suggestion for your UTI. My mother was allergic to many antibiotics and got so many serious UTI's that the doctor told me to find an alternative or just take her home to die because there was nothing to be done. What I found was a solution that was amazingly simple for many forms of infection. The bacteria feed off of sugars so when they get to the urethra they will imbibed in it to eat the sugars there. D-mannose is a form of sugar that is found in cranberries that is not digested by humans and is sent out the urine. If you take d-mannose the bacteria won't embed because they will be too busy eating the sugar in your urine. You'd have to eat too many cranberries to get the same effect - but that's why people suggest cranberries for UTIs. This was the only thing that could prevent my mother's UTIs. UTIs come part and parcel with prostate problems. I hope that the above will at least help with some forms of infection for you.

The big question is whether or not a diet NOT preventing the progression of disease or symptoms of advancing years is an indicator that you should be changing your diet or not. It seems like this diet has helped you with some of those symptoms like the diabetes and that also has to be taken into consideration. I will be very interested in reading your decision and if you change your diet what you will change about it.

Wishing you all the best with this leg of your journey Lex.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 04, 2012, 07:36:22 am »
Thanks so much for your kind thoughts Dorothy.

I agree that there is much incompetence in modern medicine, and herbal remedies have their place.  Done the Saw Palmetto thing and it doesn't help me.  Unfortunately, most of these remedies are most effective in the early stages of the problem.  It appears that I'm past the point where most herbal remedies will do much except reduce the amount of prescription medication that I must take, but I feel that is worth further investigation just the same.

I'm not sure what ideal weight is.  I also prefer to be proactive rather than wait until I have to purchase a new wardrobe before I take some action.  I spent 30 years waiting until conventional wisdom indicated there was a problem before taking action and it makes me sad to think how much better my life could have been so much sooner had I been more proactive.

It is also important that I communicate these trends that I'm seeing to others.  There is no one else that I know of that has done what I'm doing for such an extended period of time.  So many of the guru's out there say one thing but then do another because they've built a following on a particular idea and when it fails them, they change their personal habits, but continue to preach the broken protocol to others.  My idea was to be brutally honest and report my actual experiences, good or bad, and identify the various stages that people can expect to go through if they follow a similar path.  I don't preach that my path is correct, I just report what's happening along the way, providing information so others can make informed decisions about their own lives.

Thanks for the tip on d-mannose.  I'm definitely going to look into it as UTI's are not pleasant and there may come a time when the bacteria have become resistant to all the antibiotics and then I'm really in trouble.  Again, I'll report on this if I decide to take this supplement and let people decide for themselves if it should be treated as a medication or as a super plant food that breaks the Zero Carb label of my dietary protocol.

There is no question that TylerDurden and his original RVAF Yahoo Group changed my life for the better so many years ago.  I'm deeply indebted to him for this.  It is all about having the best quality of life possible every moment of the time.  People need to know that there is no magic bullet.  No matter what we eat, drink, or do, we will age, become infirm and die.  As of the 27th of January I turned 61, and I'm able to do a lot of things that others of my age can't do.  None the less, as each year passes there are more and more items added to the list of things that I can no longer do.

This doesn't mean I'm going to remain static and wait for eternity to come.  With some of the trends I've identified, it may be worthwhile to investigate other ideas.  I've given this one a good run.  If I change something, I'll do it as I always have by deciding on the change, and then comparing the change with my previous results.  If, after a fair period of time the change isn't for the better, then I'll go back to what I was doing before.  If I see improvement in my quality of life I'll stay with the change.  What worked for me when I was 20 or 30 doesn't work at age 60.  We need to constantly be willing to change as conditions warrant.

The adventure continues,

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 04, 2012, 08:27:44 am »
When I was a vegetarian I found that potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, sprouted grains, sprouted beans etc don't digest as well raw as when they are cooked.
I find raw carrots and overnight-soaked raw sweet potatoes relatively easy to digest, and I'm someone with a history of GI issues. Raw carrots taste quite sweet to me now. Also, one of my Paleo nephews is a raw-carrot-aholic. They are like his candy. Granted, carrots of today are reportedly sweeter than their ancestors, but chimps have been observed digging up and chewing raw tubers (and spitting out the fiber, which is what the Bushmen do with the less easily digested tubers) and scientists have found evidence of raw tubers in the diets of human ancestors going back to at least Australopithecines. Even the inland Eskimos traditionally ate something called "Eskimo potato" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_potato)--don't tell the ZIOH folks. ;)

I might even make the leap of intuition that it was the  inclusion of these plant foods to our diet that started the cooking revolution - but that is just a guess.
The evidence indicates that some roots and tubers were already in the diet, but cooking made them more important and made more toxic ones available as foods.

Trouble may be brewing in paradise as I'm begining to notice some relatively minor problems poping up.  Some may be due to just getting older,
I've learned to become generally skeptical of that reason. I've seen every imagineable illness attributed to it and have found that many that are attributed to aging can be halted or even reversed.

As I’ve reported previously in this journal I suffer from BPH (enlarged prostate) and take an Alpha blocker (Doxasozin) to help make passing urine easier.  I’ve been taking 2mg/day for almost 10 years but have recently upped the dose to 4mg/day.  This would indicate that the problem is slowly getting worse so the ZC diet may have slowed the progress but it hasn’t  stopped it.  Not sure where to go from here on this issue.  May try some of the herbal remedies, but if I did so, I don’t think I could say that I was eating Zero Carb in good conscience.
I wouldn't remain wedded to ZC if your health is declining, though if it were me, my first step would be to go back to eating my fat raw, and forego the rendered fat for a while. I've noticed that I don't fare as well on rendered fat as I do on raw fat. However, that's no guarantee it would work for you, just trying to come up with some potential ideas to test.

The herbal remedies may be tablets of concentrated plant extracts, but this only means that if I were actually eating the plants themselves, I’d be eating a lot of them.
I don't think you have to eat a lot of plants to get the hormetic benefits. Instead, I think you could randomly eat occasional moderate amounts of very strong medicinal plants. My hunch is that very strong tasting and richly colored plants may have the most of what Native Americans call "medicine" (which is, paradoxically, often also "poison," aka biocides) and thus the greatest hormetic benefits--something along the lines of horseradish, sour cherries, tart wild berries, wild grapes, kale, sauerkraut, etc. (though not necessarily those specific foods--I would do some more research on which ones have the greatest potential for your specific issues)--and some scientists appear to share this view.

I’m currently looking at “The Prostate Formula” from Real Health Laboratories which has good reviews, as well as “Crila” which seems to be a relative newcomer to the field and is a plant extract from Vietnam.  Neither of these is a cure, but they may reduce the dependence on the more invasive Alpha blocker drugs.
FWIW, when I had prostate issues I tried various prostate supplements with no benefit whatsoever.

Your experience sounds like mine years ago. I was even put on a 9 month regimen of antibiotics, when the urologist decided it was time to really annhilate the bacteria to put an end to the chronic UTIs (the physicians and urologists also seemed puzzled that a male would have so many UTIs). That helped for a while but in the long run I think the loads of various antibiotics I was given caused more harm than benefit, and I think it's one reason I have such a low tolerance of carbs--gut dysbiosis. Dietary change cleared up all the chronic UTIs and chronic kidney stones for me.

I'm currently trying probiotics (raw fermented foods, not powder supplement probiotics, which never did me any good), and that might be something for you to consider as well. Oddly, the most benefit I've gotten so far is from raw fermented honey. Don't ask me to explain it. This is territory that no scientist has dared traverse, AFAIK. Raw fermented cod liver oil also seems to help a bit.

Anthony Colpo and other former VLCers are of the opinion that rather than rely on the crutch of VLC or ZC, it makes sense to try to ameliorate the underlying conditions that are causing the above-avg carb intolerance in the first place, and that seems sensible to me. FWIW, one thing Anthony found that improved his carb tolerance was lowering his ferritin level. Excessive ferritin stores can cause carb intolerance, apparently via insulin resistance. Again, these are just brainstorms, not necessarily right for you.

After much testing and handwringing it turned out to be a fungal yeast infection and had to be treated with Miconazole Nitrate as well as the antibiotic.  This seems to put to rest the idea that Zero Carb will prevent fungal and yeast infections as this is clearly not the case.  Another Myth busted.
That is my experience also, ZC did not resolve gut dysbiosis in me. I never intended to do ZC forever, but when my gut health started to relapse back towards the old poor level, it was a good motivator to end the ZC experiment.

Though diet clearly did not prevent this problem both my doctor and I don’t believe it to be the cause of it either, but again, you get to decide.
Most doctors don't have a frickin' clue (and like you I experienced little to no benefits from acupuncturists or chiropractors, though Chris Kresser is a chiropractor who actually gives seemingly sensible advice). I rely on them mainly for the tests they do. I find their advice generally worse than useless, with rare exceptions, and I should know, I review the notes of dozens of physicians and witness how futile their efforts are at helping people with chronic illnesses. They are much more effective at dealing with acute crises. The goal of every patient should be to eventually get off all the chronic medications that their physicians have prescribed.

This also puts another nail in the coffin of the belief that you can’t gain weight on Zero Carb.
Yup, I've seen many other folks report the same phenomenon. It seems the body eventually adapts to becoming an efficient fat utilizer and the brain increasingly recognizes animal fat as a marvelous source of calories and nutrients and people start gaining body fat again.

My belief is that my weight should be stable if I’m doing things right.
I suspect the same.

My eyesight has also progressively gotten worse over the last few years.
Could be age, but from snippets I've read here and there, it seems that hunter gatherers of years past had incredible, seemingly supernatural, vision that was not thought possible (see Peter McAllister, author of Manthropology http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-mcallister/pre-modern-man_b_836265.html).

Probably not caused by diet, but again, a ZC diet didn’t halt or prevent the problem.  Five years ago I needed reading glasses of +1.75 and no correction for distance.  Today I need reading glasses of +2.75 and though I still don’t correct for distance, I’m noticing problems, so will most likely need a small amount of distance correction in the near future as well.
That does seem like more than age.

Last but not least, I’ve been noticing allergy type symptoms. This has manifested itself as sneezing several times during the day, coupled with a constant runny nose with minor sinus congestion.
Sounds like a red flag. I have yet to encounter a single report of a hunter gatherer living in the wild on a wild diet with any allergies. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but it's much more likely due to a non-natural problem than simple age. My own allergies have gotten less and less with age, after I did dietary change. At this point, when I sneeze, it's an unusual rare event that surprises me. When I was eating SAD, during the late summers I used to sneeze like crazy every morning and have to go through about a third of a box of Kleenex.

If all was well in Zero Carb land then suddenly being afflicted with allergies shouldn’t happen.
Correct.

Not sure I buy into all the hormone replacement therapy stuff that is so derigueur these days, but it is a place to start looking, and other than giving up a bit of blood to the medical vampires, the testing should be fairly harmless.
Yup, when things are going sour, it's time to re-examine. You're one of the last extremely low carb Mohicans and it sounds like it may be time to try something a bit different. One thing I do recommend is making one change at a time and carefully noting the results, but that seems to be your standard approach anyway.

A friend of mine died from kidney failure from drinking a popular herbal tea (since removed from the market) in the 1970’s.  I know that some of the popular concentrated prostate remedies have led to heart and other issues so will tread with caution here.
My hunch is that one factor is that people are mistaking hormetic effects for purely good things. They figure if a small amount is good, then a ton must be better. That's not how hormesis works. The tea/supplement makers love it, though, because the tendency for folks to go to extremes means they can sell more product.

Just not willing to do this without a clear understanding of what I’m dealing with and a well thought out plan.
Might be a good time to consult with some of the other former VLC gurus, like Paul Jaminet, Kurt Harris, Stephan Guyenet, etc., or at least peruse their blogs.

You might also want to read up on bloggers who are into hormesis, like Todd Becker http://gettingstronger.org/ and Stephan Guyenet and self-experimenters like Seth Roberts http://blog.sethroberts.net/, though you already know a lot about self-experimentation.

I don't know why you doubt the power of zappers. I don't use them on myself, but I do use them to fry the brains of unwitting passersby on my street. They really work!

People need to know that there is no magic bullet.  No matter what we eat, drink, or do, we will age, become infirm and die.
Right, but we can use the beam ray zappers to take some bastards with us!

Good luck. Please keep us informed.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1445 on: February 04, 2012, 08:51:08 am »
2012 beam ray machines are far, far different from the old rife stuff.
Computer advances have skyrocketed from 50 years ago.
My suggestion is to find a beam ray OPERATOR, a skilled one.
I'm lucky to have one near enough.  I pay a token fee of some $50 per 4 hour session.
Saved us many times from serious stuff.
Try 1 or 2 sessions with a skilled operator may be a cheap trial with nothing to lose.

Hulda Clark's claim to brilliance is in POLLUTION AVOIDANCE.
She got the ball rolling on identifying home pollution, office, bedroom, car, personal pollution.
Best you take a look at that.
Her old book Cure for All Diseases is still in print.

You might wish to explore again eating plants and fruit to make up for what may be missing in 100% carnivorous, monotonous and frozen diet.

Go to the fruit stands, smell and taste what your instinct may tell you.  Iguana may know.

Plus there are many other animals in the ocean and on land out there with different nutritional profiles you may need.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:00:28 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 04, 2012, 09:13:50 am »
Hi,

I'm Glen and I've read this entire journal over the past week or so, and joined the forum based on its strength - you may say you do it for selfish reasons, Lex, but a selfish person could have written all this down on paper instead of putting it where people like me could read it. I thank you for your most unselfish act.

That said, I'd start checking out your environment. It's not your food that's causing the problems, as demonstrated over the past what, 6 years? 7? I would wonder what else has changed to cause your allergy-like symptoms. They COULD be just that - allergy symptoms. Have you changed fabric softener? Has the processing company that processes the D&C food been cleaning their equipment with benzene over the past year and a half? (Admittedly, this would be food carried, but not food caused).  Have you taken a break from the clocks lately to see if perhaps you've grown more sensitive over time to a cleaning product, or a particular type of oil, or glue?

Essentially, if it were me I'd work it like I believe you would by eliminating single items and seeing if any of that made a difference.. and I'd keep track of it. You're a far better scholar than I so you'd likely find it faster than me if it's environmental!
insert signature here

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 04, 2012, 11:36:12 am »
I love this, everyone coming or helping from their own angle.  Lex,  I can tell you that years ago I read a most interesting book by an old Italian Lady who raised dogs and fed them raw.  Made a believer of me.  Se went to great length to describe how often she had tried frozen meat for the the dogs over a good number of years.  Each time, the dogs failed in some fashion.  She was adamant over freezing.  Doesn't mean she didn't have her own ego centric beliefs that may or may not be true...  I can tell you that I gave up eating frozen fat when I had the chance to go from eating frozen to fresh and had an immense energy change.   
   Now to something more off the wall.  When I drank the milk from my goats  ( I live on the coast in N. Ca.) each fall when the grass would go brown, my nose would start running, or mucous, and then get a cold.  My unscientific conclusion is that milk or meat is only as healthy as the food animals are eating.  Look at the lush green knee high growth in May vs. Sept. and that's all the evidence I need.  Everything about the goats, their breath, the smell of their poop pellets, the sheen in their coats, etc. all were markedly better in May, than when they had mostly brown dried  grass to eat.  Now, to the punch line.  Texas is having an incredible draught. I was there earlier this year to look at a horse to buy, and boy was it dead back early in the summer.  I just saw on the news where ranchers are having to move their cows quite far to find pasture that's edible.  If you relate the goat story of eating green to eating dead brown grass, you may get the idea.  My guess is that all Slanker's cows are stressed in some fashion or another, and that things like GLA and other measurables are down substantially. 
   The other thing is that a few years ago I bought a bunch of fat from the Other rancher... he wet cures.  His fat came to me smelly and grey and he had no answer.  My point is that fat to these guys is in my opinion is a commodity, or a buy product, not something perishable, living,
and fresh.  Over the years of eating green grass grown cows,  I can tell you there's a huge difference in fats.  And once again not to even mention again freezing it. 
   Also, just a tid bit,  I buy my seaweed from Larch in Maine.  He hand harvests and dries his seaweed around 90 far.  Wonderful stuff.  I take a quarter pound of it, dry it completely in the freezer, and blend it with my powerful blender.  It almost turns into dust.  I keep that in the fridge in a small jar.  I eat a teaspoon each morning when I start to get hungry by itself to aid in more complete digestion.  I think this is a great way to get minerals some of the microbes of the sea. 

Keep us informed as to what choices you make, and I'm sure you know we're all pulling for you.  And here's that selfish thing again;  hey if it doesn't work for you, what about the rest of us?   

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 04, 2012, 12:26:53 pm »
Lex - I live in Texas and what Van just said might be pivotal. It is only just recently that we got rains and Slankers was feeding not fresh green grass - but dried grass probably most of the summer during the horrific drought here. It can't be exaggerated - we're talking over 100 degrees for over three months with not ONE drop of rain. Many small farms went under completely. Slankers simply was not, was not capable of, no one was capable of, feeding fresh green grass to their cows this summer - because unless you were right near a water source - there was not one little tiny bit of green ANYWHERE. Driving through the countryside was eerie and disturbing. The trees dropped all their leaves and we lost countless trees. The chickens' yolks were no longer golden from the beta carotene in the grass.

Good call Van. What you say might be pivotal - I mean - JUST with the drought conditions alone.......  Lex - have you asked Slankers Lex exactly what they had to feed their cows this summer?

Like Phil my body really doesn't like heated fats. That might be part of it - but that would have been part of it over the last 6 years whereas the drought was just last summer. We're just starting to recover here.

You might have also tried the primal meat blend which does not have all the organs. That might have affected you too.

I've been experimenting with the frozen meat from Slankers for my dogs and when I can get it consistently - their skin problems reduce and their health increases. You should have seen the difference in my chickens! Maybe it would increase more if I could get whole animal ground up fresh all the time - but for me what keeps on coming to mind is the WHOLE RAW animal vs. freezing. I can't get fresh whole raw and I'd be surprised if many can. But harder than fresh is to get the whole animal. That's darn near impossible for the most part for the average shopper except through Slankers and maybe some local sources.

You have different things to consider in your calculations and evaluations Lex:
1. Changes to how the animals have been fed
2. Change in what you were ordering (primal vs. dog food)
3. Perhaps some changes in how the food was processed - maybe some additive or something.
4. Environmental changes.
5.  Cooking the fat.
6. Freezing

I put them in that order because I am trying to look at things in the view of what might have changed rather than what might have started to affect you after the long term.

Phil sure had some good points. I don't think the hunter gatherers vision deteriorated like ours does - so no need for yours if you find the missing key.

Again - I wish you all the very best in trying to improve your situation and I thank you for keeping it honest and real. What you said about people not reporting their true continued results is spot on. Thank you for being someone we can trust to continue doing that.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 04, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »
Personally, I think Phil and GS were on point with more than a few things but i'll give my own (long) go.

Lets say the Inuit are in fact the heathy (known) model for human intake, and that if they were in a less harsh environment and had a nice computer and relaxing lifestyle and had whatever advantageous medicines or other treatments that exist as helpful (if they exist), that they would have had it even more made. We would have to account for the following:

- Inuits would have had some degree of supplemental plant foods part of the year and likely didn't skimp on them. Blueberries in blubber bowl anyone? Maybe the simple idea is that plants foods (possibly eaten in large amounts) at least part of the year is part of the program we are given here, and all months with no plant foods is not.

- Their intake of all wild foods is going to be vastly different than ours even if we today eat all wild food - type, quality, and pollution. Eating organ meats likely is a huge degree better than muscle meats and water, but it still might not actually mirror their complete intake of whole animal parts. These likely required some types of processing that are either known or lost in time. Also, that whatever people ate on the African plain ( and whether they ate seafood or not ) seafoods or other animals today that we have access to make up for more of these nutrients than ONE animal from 1-2 farms of the same grasses. What I see, is that even on 'ZC', there are simply alot of other non-significantly-carb contributing foods that are not being considered for much of any reason than what should be food, even if these things are known to hit certain nutrient needs.

- They were removed from many aspects of modern problems/poisons/also whatever AV shit one wants throw in that needs to be corrected - which may be a pro or a negative to long term VLC - unconfirmed. Possibly short term pro, long term negative.

- Many people have made a pretty simple observation/opinion about VLC in that it seems to work better for people who are overweight but not always as much for people that are consistently lean. Lets say that has any truth to it, dissecting that, if one is of the opinion that the way of nature is to fatten up on carbs over the summer to store for the winter, it can be seen as very likely that year after year of not having that process or excess fat might in itself be a problem. Gaining fat might be a natural or modern corrective response to something, added to the likelihood that Taubes is just flat out wrong. * Inuits tend to be fatties
( by our modern bias anyway - certainly not under 10% bf)

other stuff:

- LC is now widely reported to have tons of benefical effects on the immune system that may be short lived and then be a problem. The allergy thing is a flag generaly for low carbers because poor response to allergens generally go away when one goes on VLC but may return due to these same theories regarding VLC and the immune system. I've seen enough anecdotes to attach this to raw eating of any variety (so maybe that means its good! not ). It could be eating organs and raw food and way cleaner food than meatza every day discounts many of those issues, but perhaps not all. Just a few missing nutrients or not having those periodic glycogen boosts may esclate as larger problems than they conceptualy do on paper.

- compared to regular people not doing a bunch of harmful things in itself always has alot of advantages, couple that with a very convincing argument about our origins and the poor conceptual effects of sugar metabolism shows for a pretty good case. The thing I think which needs to be more commonly thought about in all this stuff is that missing some components that even "regular people" actually get, can be detrimental no matter how right in theory the idea is. This seems to be true for any kind of dietary exclusion, fruitarian to standard (not particularly low carb) paleo eating I imagine. What I learned from the vegan days is It really doesn't matter what people didn't do in the past because much of what we think about the past is likely wrong and its very easy to see people thriving while generally doing the opposite. When in the lurch with the pure ideas, It wasn't that I listened to the wrong people who had the wrong misconception about what our natural diet is, its that I lost touch with how I evaluated what was healthy or not as a complete package. This made me in turn give more signifigance to those ideas than they deserved. It seems like that isn't your problem, but perhaps making sure that some other system has to be as completely verifiable/logical as VLC is with our origins and others' perspective evidence...is . Sometimes you got to suck it up and make pinhole glasses - again, hocus pocus man, maybe eat some candy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:32:27 pm by KD »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk