Author Topic: Round 2: From addiction to recovery  (Read 108748 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Round 2: From addiction to recovery
« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2011, 06:09:09 am »
I forget where on the coast you are KD but both you guys have an invite to stop here anytime you're passing through; just give me a heads up beforehand.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:59 am »
I'm guessing it would be 4 hours each way. We'll see how it goes. PD will be renting a car I assume, and I can probably take time off work. I don't know if I can take 4 hours of gallstone chat.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2011, 05:55:49 am »
Howdy all, its been brought to my attention that sometimes things I say on the world wide web are of poor word choice. I realized what I was doing when I said I wanted to punch PP in the gallbladder. Alot of this stems from extreme resentments I have against some of the things he has said to me on the forums.

Let me say that if I were to ever see PP I would not punch him in the gallbladder right away. In fact, I would give him a huge hug. I like PP. I think PP is a suberp poster and is the poster I most often click on his posts from the most recent posted column. I deeply care about his opinin of me. I want him to think I am smart and worthwhile and and valuable and contribute passionately with preciseness to the forums.

At the same time I hold lots of resentments against him and if I think hard enough I  can think of all the things where I thought he made a severe mistake in judgment. I actually have quite a bit of anger and nitpick his posts(in my head) and can find fault in lots of the things he posts. This is a product of my own perception and insecurities, not necessarily reality. I like thinking of myself as a superior thinking human able to decipher truth better than anyone.

One of my main complaints is my belief in his passive aggressiveness, still apparent in that PP had to complain about me in a pm to Dan instead of simply acknowledging to me directly that he had a problem. There is more like I said but there is no purpose in me posting it here.

Now if PP survived the hug, which is not a sure thing sinec he weighs 128 then he wont have to worry about being punched in the gallbladder. ;)

Also related to my internet rage is that I see loads and loads of bs across the interenet related to dieting where people are so blind to their own preconceived notions of what is correct. This 'disease' seems to be spread deep amongst the paleo crowd. I see covert lying all the time. Very few people are completely honest about what is really happening to them and cannot admit their wrongs. I suffered from this for a while - ZC IS THE WAY!!!!

And Dan - if you want to make the drive to KD's, cool!

I still don't undersstand how someone is supposed to survive in great health without a gallbladder or with one that is filled with gallstones and still eat a high-fat diet. Its likely that we can survive in good health but I still don't see why this isn't a bigger issue in the paleo crowd when 500k Americans get their gallbladder removed every year. I can only imagine how many have issues with gallstones.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2011, 11:24:33 am »
Dude i'm going to punch you in the gallbladder

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2011, 07:55:00 am »
And Dan - if you want to make the drive to KD's, cool!
Yeah, I could come meet you guys or you guys could come visit up this way, either works for me. Let me know a date in advance and I'll take a day or two off from work.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2011, 03:38:13 pm »
Is there someone here without a gallbladder or who knows they have gallstones? Do you(PD) not have a gallbladder?

How tall is PP?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 09, 2011, 12:38:37 pm »
PP is 6'7, 123 pounds with a BMI of -3.2.

Miley, I have a properly functioning gallbladder as far as I know. Lots of people have gone low-carb(high fat) without gallbladders and from what I've read most do surprisingly well with few reported problems(though some cannot handle large amounts of fat at once). That said, a healthy gallbladder is surely better than no gallbladder for a high-fat diet. I'm not sure about where the threshold between a sickly stone-filled gallbladder and no gallbladder stands. Surely there is a point where having no gallbladder is better than a sickly gallbladder and some have reported the relief to digest fatty foods again when the stone-filled gallbladder is removed(but had trouble with the stones).

Miley, I recall you passed a small yellow colored thing while you were fasting a while back. That sounds like a gallstone to me if it was in the 5mm size and sunk in water. Which gets my mind thinking that lex's success could be to passing lots of junk/stones through his month long fast. This is all wild speculation of course but fun to guess.

When I was zero-carb a couple years ago I did an experiment where i overate by around 2k calories(4800 calories total) a day for two weeks of pure animal fat and gained weight equivalent to my calorie intake which further leads me to believe that my gallbladder is fine. If I had not gained the weight then one of my suspicions would be that my gallbladder would have been malfunctioning as I believe others with gallstone problems report diarhea and the sorts after consuming high fat meals(the fat passes straight through them undigested?)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »
.... Also Ive planned a trip to visit KD during spring break. I'm excited! Also, I'm going to find PaleoPhil while I'm up there, punch him in the gall bladder, remove it, tear it open and go the nearest lake and spend hours skipping all the stones that are in there. Then I won't have to hear him complain about him not gaining weight or getting chapped lips from consuming too much honey.
Golly, PD, you've given me a free diagnosis of gallstones? How kind of you. And you'll do surgery on me for no charge? Doubly kind. I think I'd prefer psychic surgery, though. :D

PP is 6'7, 123 pounds with a BMI of -3.2.
How did you know? :P

As for any complaints you have about me, it would probably be better to take them offline in a personal message or report them to the moderators rather than have us potentially bore people with any discussion of them in the forum.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk