Author Topic: Yuri recovery  (Read 229633 times)

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yuri recovery
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:01 pm »
I've just bought some "Swedish Bitters", which I will take just before meals to try to stoke up my digestive juices/fire.

Funnily enough, when I was Googling about the bitters with relevance to ketogenic/low-carb diets, I found this site and in particular, this page: http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/Marchant/Marchant's_story.htm#Marchant's%20story

The boy is very specifically (not through choice) on a ketogenic diet for fits/seizures - note the dark shadows under the eyes, coincidence? ;-# It makes one wonder...
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:31 pm »
@MrBBQ

I'm interested in the Swedish Bitters, do you make them with alcohol as traditionally done?

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2010, 02:41:44 am »
I would make an ethanolic extraction (maybe from alcohol of non-gluten source) of the fresh/dried herbs, although I do not have the time to expend/wait, so I just buy it from a mass producer.

The only tinctures I'd prep myself would be fresh cannabis flower (great as a sublingual spray for getting loaded anywhere you can't smoke a joint, plus no heat-mediated toxicity) or some obscure Chinese herbs where my local herbalist is unable to deliver.

Otherwise, let the trials commence...

I stll feel a little bit dubious after seeing keto-boy's black shadows/edema...
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »
I would make an ethanolic extraction (maybe from alcohol of non-gluten source) of the fresh/dried herbs, although I do not have the time to expend/wait, so I just buy it from a mass producer.

The only tinctures I'd prep myself would be fresh cannabis flower (great as a sublingual spray for getting loaded anywhere you can't smoke a joint, plus no heat-mediated toxicity) or some obscure Chinese herbs where my local herbalist is unable to deliver.

Otherwise, let the trials commence...
I wonder why bother with all those tinctures? The stomach responds to bitters before they arrive in it. When bitter flavor touches the tongue, it stimulates the exocrine and endocrine glands. These, in turn, stimulate the digestive juices to the stomach, liver, pancreas and duodenum. The flow of these juices improves the appetite, digestion, and assimilation. The stronger the bitter flavor of the food or herb, the more potent the action.

The digestive juices appear in the intestines within five minutes after a stimulation of the bitter receptors of the tongue and remain there for two or three hours. Why not just put some bitter herbs under your tongue for 5-10 minutes before and after the meals?

I stll feel a little bit dubious after seeing keto-boy's black shadows/edema...

ZC is not a ketogenic diet just because it excludes the carbs. Mind that most likely NOBODY on this forum is a true ketogenic dieter.

Certain macronutrients may either promote or prevent a ketogenic state, depending whether a given nutrient tend to raise insulin (anti-ketogenic) or glucagon (pro-ketogenic). Here is the ketogenic ratio:
Ketogenic --- K --- 0.9 fat + 0.46 protein.
Anti-ketogenic --- AK --- 1.0 carbohydrate + 0.1 fat + 0.58 protein.

This actually means that protein has both ketogenic effects (46%) and anti-ketogenic effects (58%). This reflects the fact that 58% of dietary protein will appear in the bloodstream as glucose, raising insulin and inhibiting ketogenesis. Consequently protein must be restricted to some degree on a ketogenic diet as excessive protein intake will generate too much glucose, impairing or preventing ketosis.  

Fat is primarily ketogenic (90%) but also has a slight anti-ketogenic effect (10%). This represents the fact that ten percent of the total fat grams ingested will appear in the bloodstream as glucose (via conversion of the glycerol portion of triglycerides).

For the treatment of epilepsy, the ratio of K to AK must be at least 1.5 for a meal to be considered ketogenic. Typically, this results in a diet containing 4 grams of fat for each gram of protein and carbohydrate, called a 4:1 diet.

This is what Lyle McDonald says about it in "The Ketogenic Diet".
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »
you need a girlfriend.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2010, 10:50:39 pm »
you need a girlfriend.

I agree 200% or 300%
You need 2 or 3 girl friends.
That will bring out the muscular you back.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2010, 03:17:29 am »
Those where I am FAT were taken this past Sunday. My weight is normal but due to decrease in muscle mass I have the extra fat.
No, I can’t get raw thyroid. The farmers mistakenly believe that thymus is actually the thyroid. Even meat inspection experts claim it is the same thing. I have no pictures of real thyroid to prove they are wrong.

If you really want to get hold of a thyroid, (or any other organ), you can always go to a park and catch a small animal (rabbit, squirrel, etc) or bird (duck, goose, etc).

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:29 pm »
If you really want to get hold of a thyroid, (or any other organ), you can always go to a park and catch a small animal (rabbit, squirrel, etc) or bird (duck, goose, etc).

;D ;D ;D

Hey Michael, have you ever been to Ukraine, where Yuri lives? I've been there and haven't seen any animals in the parks except pigeons. And it's very hard to catch them without being arrested by ukrainian police (miliczia). >D ;)
Your advice made my day, thanks!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:05:38 am by Cosmo »
Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2010, 11:34:37 pm »
I've thought about catching me a rabbit, but it doesn't seem so easy, granted they are very alert and they can run fast... especially in the undergrowth where they quickly disappear.

Any hints?

William

« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2010, 02:04:03 am »
Traditional Newfoundland women all learned to snare rabbits...

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2010, 02:26:42 am »
Traditional Newfoundland women all learned to snare rabbits...

So that means I should marry one?

William

« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2010, 09:25:58 am »
So that means I should marry one?

AFAIK they no longer exist. You can still get rabbit wire though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2010, 11:07:48 am »
...Initially, I seem to remember that PaleoPhil resolved long-standing nephritis with a raw zero-carb diet...Am I right PaleoPhil? If this kind of stress on the kidneys (clearing serum nitrogen etc.) is damaging, how could PaleoPhil resolve nephritis?
Close, I had chronic nephrolithiasis (kidney stones--most of them very small) and chronic urinary tract infections. The biggest help seemed to be when I cut out gluten, though my urinary flow improved further when I went ZC. The possible concerns I developed since going ZC are bubbly urine (possible return of past intermittent proteinuria?) and low urine pH. No other new problems have developed and those are only theoretical risks that haven't yet caused any actual problems I'm aware of. All my other health issues have improved either a little or a lot, though not all are resolved.

Also, all this talk of kidneys here and nobody experimented with nephrolithiasis dissolution through herbalism.I have bought all the roots/herbs I need now for the cleanse and I will subject myself to it next week, which should be interesting.
Actually, I think Lex reported trying pretty much everything in the book, and I've tried some herbal products in the past with no noticeable benefits, other than that ones with senna in them provided a mild laxative effect.

The question would be - why do some people have kidney challenge and others not?
I don't know. There may be multiple factors involved.

people only benefitting from meat+fat around here
Some have reported benefiting from larger inclusion of plant-foods, even though I haven't.

I suffer from severe chronic pernicious anemia and have all the typical symptoms. Even my lab results prove that.
Is pernicious anemia also associated with dark circles under the eyes? Did your physician suggest any explanations? Are you receiving treatment for your pernicious anemia, such as sublingual or injected B12?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2010, 11:16:02 am »
The possible concerns I developed since going ZC are bubbly urine (possible return of past intermittent proteinuria?) and low urine pH. No other new problems have developed and those are only theoretical risks that haven't yet caused any actual problems I'm aware of. All my other health issues have improved either a little or a lot, though not all are resolved.

Do you write about this somewhere on your journal? my urine after over 2 months VLC is like a bubble factory, whether it is clear or dark. Is there a concern, is this common with ketosis?

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2010, 07:35:42 pm »
Is pernicious anemia also associated with dark circles under the eyes? Did your physician suggest any explanations? Are you receiving treatment for your pernicious anemia, such as sublingual or injected B12?

Anemia may be the first recognized manifestation of an endocrine disorder.

In hypothyroidism, anemia may be caused by impaired haemoglobin synthesis, impaired intestinal iron and folate absorption or B12 deficiency.

In Addison`s disease there is also a decrease on plasma volume and hemoconcentration as a consequence, which keep normal hemoglobin levels.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2010, 01:45:30 am »
Recently I noticed a sudden onset of gingivitis with a rapid aggravation of gingival inflammation. I'd appreciate if you could help me identify the cause.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2010, 02:30:10 am »
I am seeing progressive gum recession as well.  They are not bleeding but I do not like where it is going.  There is definitely something missing in our diet or maybe something too much.

I eat about 1-2 fruits daily and raw organs regularly so Vit C issue should be out of question.  Everything else (A,D, iron, zinc, etc. ) checks out as well.  Not sure what is missing.  Maybe something is too much?

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2010, 02:44:59 am »

In AV's book it says something about lactose intolerance and recommends avoiding milk if milk+honey does not work.

The recommendation is to drink raw ginger root and honey mixed with mineral water and that it takes at least three months.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2010, 03:04:49 am »
hmmmmmmm...

i do not consume any lactose containing products.  maybe little cheese now and then, cheese does not have any meaningful amounts of lactose.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2010, 04:10:51 am »

Than it may be one of the other possible issues listed there, like mineral deficiency or low blood protein&sugar levels.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 24, 2010, 04:57:19 am »
I am seeing progressive gum recession as well.  They are not bleeding but I do not like where it is going.  There is definitely something missing in our diet or maybe something too much.

I eat about 1-2 fruits daily and raw organs regularly so Vit C issue should be out of question.  Everything else (A,D, iron, zinc, etc. ) checks out as well.  Not sure what is missing.  Maybe something is too much?

You didn't mention vitamin K2 (preferably the mk4 animal-source version), magnesium or calcium. Vitamin K2 seems to be especially important for dental health, according to multiple sources.

My experience re: unheated raw honey and acidic foods like vinegar and citrus fruits is that they undermine my dental health, rather than help it like Aajonus claims. YMMV.

Anyone else here trying mk4 K2 supplements for dental health?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 24, 2010, 05:42:54 am »
According to PANU having hard cheese here and there, eggs, and organs should be enough for K2.

Calcium, magnesium, Lex does not seem to have extra need for those.  Why should I?  He took his body through so many years of abuse and it appears that all meat/fat diet is pretty sufficient.

Or take any pure carnivore, I doubt their calcium/magnesium needs are that much different.

Another thing is my calcium blood levels are pretty high.

So what gives?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2010, 06:04:27 am »
According to PANU having hard cheese here and there, eggs, and organs should be enough for K2.
Yeah, except that supplementing with K2 softgels does seem to be reducing my dental plaque, and Richard Nikoley of Free the Animal also reports this.

Calcium, magnesium, Lex does not seem to have extra need for those.  Why should I?  He took his body through so many years of abuse and it appears that all meat/fat diet is pretty sufficient.

Or take any pure carnivore, I doubt their calcium/magnesium needs are that much different.
I don't know; you may not need it, but different people appear to have different needs, from what I've seen reported here and elsewhere, so it's possible Yuri, for example, might need more Ca or Mg or both. Just covering all the possibilities I can think of.

Another thing is my calcium blood levels are pretty high.

So what gives?
My dental problems weren't resolving completely on raw carnivore, so I added a K2 supplement. The powder version didn't help noticeably, but the softgel version does seem to be helping. Richard Nikoley's experience was similar.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:31 am »
Ok, I'm guessing K2 you are taking is the kind that comes from animal sources.

Do you know what animal organs were used to extract and concentrate K2?  I'm curious.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 24, 2010, 10:30:12 am »
Life Extension's brand contains both plant and animal forms of K. I don't think it's the addition of the plant forms that made the difference for me, I think it's the fat it contains, based on the experience of Drs. Davis and Harris with their patients doing much better on fat-containing softgel forms of vitamin D3 than dry capsule or tablet forms. Here is the comment that further convinced me to give a softgel form of vitamin K2 a try:

Richard Nikoley said (at http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/03/interesting-articles-in-ajcn.html)...

@ Daniel & Stephan

Since Stephan brought up K2 Mk4 way back when on that Weston Price post I've been supplementing daily with K2. First I used the Green Pastures butter oil. Saw amazing improvement in skin, smoothness of teeth even without brushing, thickening of finger & toenails.

Then I went to the Thorne product for a while 1-2mg per day, then for many many months on the Carlson Mk4 product, 5mg per day.

However, the results on skin & teeth became sporadic and I'd even get slight plaque buildup at times.

A few months back I switched to Life Extension Super K Complex which has:

K1: 1mg
    K2: 1mg (Mk4)
    K2: 100mcg (Mk7)

It comes in a gelcap with 215mg MCT oil.

Since going on that my teeth have just been super amazing. I'm over 6 months since a cleaning and have not so much as a spec of calculus or plaque and they are always super smooth, like pearls.

I'm definitely sticking with this product.
    March 26, 2010 1:23 PM

There is also this...

Michael Bender  // Mar 30, 2009 at 12:18 (at http://freetheanimal.com/2009/03/vitamin-k2-reduces-heart-disease.html)

Largely because of this blog and its many links I recently started supplementing with K2 (Life Extension Super K. The results have been amazing. Rarely do supplements provide immediate noticeable benefits but this one does.

For me the impact [has been] on my teeth. I have been told by my dentist that I have somewhat porous teeth that tend to hold onto food and bacteria. I have always had trouble with cavities despite nearly obsessive efforts at brushing, flossing and special rinses. After just two weeks of K2 supplementation all signs of placque have completely disappeared – most notably from the back of the bottom front teeth, which is a problem spot for most people.

I have one small "almost" cavity that I am keeping an eye on. It is due for a filling in July. I will keep the blog posted if anything awesome happens and it is able to repair itself.

I haven't experienced any noticeable changes in my skin as others report but the dental benefits are more than enough for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk