Author Topic: Yuri recovery  (Read 229630 times)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Yuri recovery
« Reply #400 on: April 24, 2010, 10:35:12 am »
That does sound encouraging, I hope when they talk about "teeth" they mean both gums and teeth.

It is not obvious I have issues with teeth, it's the gums I'm concerned about.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2010, 10:51:46 am »
Since plaque irritates the gums and contributes to their receding from the gums, eliminating plaque would presumably improve gum health and in my case my gingivitis (formerly periodontal disease) does seem a little better, but my hygienist will be a better judge of that in a few months.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 24, 2010, 10:58:34 am »
yes, please report your results.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2010, 04:40:47 pm »
Virgin Coconut Oil + Neem Oil swishing (followed by sea salt swishing) is a worthwhile practice, twice per day, which I strictly fulfil (and it's endorsed by the other tooth healing wannabes around here).

Regarding the K2, I had a very scary and potentially life-threatening experience with the lab-created K2 MK-4 (menatetranone), so I'm concerned about the "nature" of these different isomers outside of a balanced food state source.

I'm seeking out raw goose/chicken livers for the K2 MK-4 (better source than ruminant livers), although I'm not quite sure about the other K2 isoforms, given that they come packaged as ferments with organic acids that destroy tooth enamel. There seem to be paradoxes like this in all nourishment...

@Yuri: Do you include some kind of grass-fed liver in your daily meat+fat ration? Grating frozen liver into the mix is a nice way to include raw liver, without the obvious slimy texture.
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 24, 2010, 09:17:05 pm »
Mr. BBQ, would you mind explaining how you grate the raw liver? I have been wanting to incorporate raw liver, but the wetness turns me off. I love eating air-dried raw ground beef and air-dried steaks, so I thought to air-dry liver, but was told that would not be ideal (and it made me sick to look at it in the fridge).

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 30, 2010, 01:04:08 am »
Here is a good piece on Intermittent Fasting:

What Happens To Your Body When You Fast?

This whole idea of Intermittent Fasting is extremely alluring but don't fall for it headlong unless you have adrenals of a horse otherwise you may end up in a complete misery:

"We see an increase in ACTH, along with an increase in cortisol, at least in Ramadan-style fasting of eating breakfast before sun-up and dinner after sun-down with nothing in between, a fast of approximately 13-14 hours. We also get an increase in epinephrine, further driving lipolysis. Norepinephrine is much less potent in stimulating lipolysis than is epinephrine and from what I’ve found, levels of norepinephrine don’t appear to change much during fasting."
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:49 pm »
ZC does not necessarily mean zero pain…

I suffered from the same kind of muscle inflammation only once in my life when I tried ZC for the first time (approximately two years ago). Now it happened again during my second no-carb attempt.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #407 on: May 07, 2010, 05:16:00 am »
Your theory on why this happens?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2010, 05:45:16 am »
Looks like laptop burn. The stricter you are with diet the more effect cell phones/wireless have (in my experience)
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2010, 10:29:41 pm »
Your theory on why this happens?
Most cases of simple muscle inflammation can be attributed to overexertion while exercising. Maybe it is delayed onset muscle soreness?

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2010, 10:37:10 pm »
"carnivorous diet" and "ketogenic diet": affecting thyroid levels.

What is dietary ketosis? It’s a state in which the body has shifted from a metabolism relying primarily on carbohydrates for fuel to one using primarily fat and ketones for fuel.

When does ketosis occur? The body enters ketosis if the diet does not provide sufficient glucose to replenish glycogen stores. Any diet which contains less than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day will induce ketosis.

Glucose sources. The major source of glucose in the body is from dietary carbohydrate.  However, liver and kidney also produces glucose from glycerol, lactate/pyruvate and the amino acids alanine and glutamine through a process called gluconeogenesis.

Macronutrients and Ketosis. The total carbohydrate ingested and produced by the body shall not exceed app. 100g.

Carnivorous ketogenic diet. If the protein is not restricted to some degree (less than 140g daily or so) on a carnivorous diet, an excessive protein intake will generate too much glucose, impairing or preventing ketosis.

From the above notions we may conclude that carnivorous diet does not necessarily induces ketosis. Bearing in mind the amounts of meats consumed by hunter-gatherers or Inuit we may assume they were rarely if ever in the state of ketosis, despite the lack of straight carbohydrates in their diets for most of the time.

The low and no-carb diets are mostly feared by their adverse affect on thyroid. It’s been shown that T3 levels (active thyroid hormone) in the body are primarily related to the carbohydrate content of the diet. It is possible that as with other hormones in the body (for example insulin), the decrease in circulating T3 levels may be compensated for by an increase in receptor activity and/or number.

However, the mentioned study examined the standard ketogenic diet which restricts protein intake. Hence, it may be assumed that if protein levels were kept higher, it could have disturbed the ketosis and prevented drop in T3.

Back in September 2009 I started a higher protein non-ketogenic carnivorous diet. I was eating about two pounds of fatty lamb daily and felt more or less fine. I was able to consume that much meat only because of Liposomal Vitamin C that I was taking at the time. As soon as I dropped it at the end of October my digestive abilities began to fade away very fast. As the time went by I consumed less and less meat. Finally I had to settle with a half a pound of lean meat daily. The rest of my diet was complemented by fat. Unwillingly I progressed to a standard ketogenic diet. Naturally I had some serious concerns how such restrictive diet could have affected my thyroid hormones levels and my metabolism.

My thyroid panel dated April 25, 2008 (just after I stopped Intermittent Farcing):
TSH – 1.33 (range 0.25 – 5.2)
fT4 – 17.87 (range 10.0 – 25.0)
fT3 – 12.64 (range 5.4 – 14.0)

My thyroid panel dated April 26, 2010 (after 8 ZC months):
TSH – 1.43 (range 0.17 – 4.05)
fT4 – 18.9 (range 11.5 – 23.0)
fT3 – 2.5 (range 2.5 – 5.8 )
Anti-TPO – 20.3 (range 0 – 12.0)
Anti-TG – 22.3 – (range 0 – 30.0)

Mild to moderately elevated levels of thyroid antibodies may be found in a variety of thyroid and autoimmune disorders, such as thyroid cancer, Type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, pernicious anemia, and autoimmune collagen vascular diseases. Significantly increased concentrations most frequently indicate thyroid autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves’ disease.

In general, their presence suggests that there is autoimmune thyroid involvement and the higher the level, the more likely that is. Rising levels may be more significant than stable levels as they indicate an increase in autoimmune activity.

In spite of my higher than normal Anti-TPO the doctor told me that I don’t have Hashimoto’s. He may be right but I’d like to retest it sometime later when I have available funds.

My fT3, which were well normal two years ago, plummeted down on raw ZC diet. With such fT4 it undoubtedly signals to the altered thyroid metabolism which is call thyroid underconversion.

I wonder if higher protein non-ketogenic ZC diet would have prevented the drop in t3…

Offline 00nightstorm

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2010, 09:51:30 pm »
Yuri, could you possibly have Chronic Pancreatitis?  It seems like all your symptoms are secondary and caused by the malabsorption of food by your digestive system.  Perhaps if it is not Pancreatitis, then it is Pancreatic insufficiency of some kind or even Pancreatic cancer... the pancreatic juices are not getting to the food in the correct volume and the undigested proteins are seeping through your digestive walls and causing all kinds of havoc?

Maybe you can see a doctor and get an ERCP to check your bile and pancreatic ducts?  Or get a pancreatic function test?  Maybe try taking potent prescription animal-based pancreatic enzymes (not the cheap over-the-counter plant-based ones) and see if that helps your digestion?  Just throwing out suggestions here...  I think in another thread you had already ruled out gallstones?

I think parts of your story are very much like my own and I like the way you think and express yourself.  I even like the way you look.  Too bad I don't live in the Ukraine I think we would be great pals:)

Your English/vocabulary is excellent by the way.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2010, 06:52:19 am »
Have you ever experimented with eggs or yolks, like lots of them AV style?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2010, 08:13:46 am »
That's very interesting that ketosis can be sustained with such a high dietary glucose content. Also that it can be derailed by a high protein content. Do those numbers crunch right for everyone?

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:32 pm »
Have you ever experimented with eggs or yolks, like lots of them AV style?
In July 2009 I had a good source of the finest quality goose eggs. It was a great opportunity to test AV’s lots of eggs advice. For the first two weeks or so I was eating 7 – 8 goose yolks daily (equals around 30 normal chicken yolks). The only other food that I was consuming back than was cucumber juice. I didn’t experience any dramatic improvement or any signs of recovery but I felt more or less OK. Then I tried to eat the whole eggs (5 – 6 daily) and crashed immediately. I promised to myself to never touch the raw egg whites again in my life.

I broke my word early in April this year. For three weeks I was eating nothing but goose eggs. This time my digestion was even worse than a year ago and I was able to only consume 4 eggs daily. It all started with severe stomach pains and continuous diarrhea. In about three or four days the loose stools disappeared and were replaced by steady constipation. All this time I felt like I was dead or even worse. As soon as I reintroduced the meat and butter I was back to my comfortable low. In general I went through exactly the same experience as described in this study.

red lights to raw whites!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:13:53 pm by rawlion »

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 27, 2010, 09:01:48 pm »
That's very interesting that ketosis can be sustained with such a high dietary glucose content. Also that it can be derailed by a high protein content. Do those numbers crunch right for everyone?

There are basically 4 distinct fuels which the body can use: glucose, protein, free fatty acids (FFA), and ketones. The difference in the proportion of each fuel used will depend on the metabolic state of the body (i.e. aerobic exercise, weight training, normal diet, ketogenic diet/fasting). The primary factor is the amount of each nutrient (protein, carbohydrate, fat and alcohol) being consumed, the second determinant is the levels of hormones such as insulin and glucagon, third is the bodily stores of each nutrient including fat stores and muscle/liver glycogen, finally the levels of regulatory enzymes for glucose and fat breakdown, which are beyond our control except through changes in diet and activity.

Mary Massung, the owner of the FatForHealth Yahoo! Group, designed this comprehensive chart comparing the key differences between the fuel sources:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:35:37 pm by rawlion »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #416 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »
Yuri,

I'm concerned about your mal-absorption of nutrients.
Look up "protein calorie malnutrition".
You probably need professional care to nurse yourself back to being able to absorb nutrients.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2010, 12:07:40 am »
Yuri,

I'm concerned about your mal-absorption of nutrients.
Look up "protein calorie malnutrition".
You probably need professional care to nurse yourself back to being able to absorb nutrients.

Good point Edwin, very good point. And that may explain why I am yet to post here on any kind of progress made for over two years. I may be eating right but the body still screams for the nutrients missing due to the absorption problems.

But it doesn't exist on its own. There must be a reason of sorts, say a parasite or a black hole in the gut. It is interesting how Merck Manual points to the Addison's disease as one of the possible causes of malabsorption. I attached a very detailed article on malabsorption which also mentions adrenal insufficiency among the disorders of intestinal malabsorption.

I may remind you that I measured my 24-hour urinary cortisol and result was weakly positive. My urinary cortisol excretion was extremely low at just 5% above the bottom range.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:20:11 am by rawlion »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2010, 12:35:49 am »
Try this from http://www.nutritionmd.org/health_care_providers/general_nutrition/protein_malnutrition.html

Marasmus is defined simply as chronic deprivation of energy needed to maintain body weight. Its extreme form is characterized by severe weight loss and cachexia.1 Marasmus is further characterized by subnormal body temperature, decreased pulse and metabolic rate, loss of skin turgor, constipation, and starvation diarrhea, consisting of frequent, small, mucus-containing stools.2

Treatment

Individuals treated for protein-energy malnutrition are at risk for refeeding syndrome, in which hypophosphatemia, hypokalemia, and hypomagnesemia may lead to disturbances in the cardiac, neurologic, gastrointestinal, respiratory, hematologic, skeletal, and endocrine systems. Guidelines have been developed to help prevent these complications and to establish a transition to normalcy. Treatment consists of 2 phases: stabilization and rehabilitation.

The initial (stabilization) phase proceeds from days 1 through 7. It consists of treatment and prevention of hypoglycemia, hypothermia, dehydration, and infection; correction of electrolyte imbalance and micronutrient deficiencies; and a cautious feeding regimen.

A rehabilitation phase proceeds from weeks 2 through 6. It consists of achievement of catch-up growth; provision of sensory stimulation and emotional support; and preparation for follow-up after recovery.

These initial 2 steps are followed by protocols for the treatment of shock and anemia; management of associated conditions; and guidelines for individuals who fail to respond.12

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 28, 2010, 11:07:00 pm »
00nightstorm

These are the real benefits of keeping a Journal. You may always be suggested something that could have been overlooked in the past.

I suppose I do not have chronic pancreatitis. Patients with chronic pancreatitis usually present with persistent abdominal pain and the normal structure of pancreas is altered. I had two ultrasound examinations of the abdomen in 2009. On both occasions my pancreas was not enlarged, the structure was uniform and the contour was defined as smooth. However there was a conclusion in the first scan report that I had signs of chronic pancreatitis. I think this is because I didn’t follow their absurd instructions of taking certain enzyme medication for three days before the examination and abstaining from sweet foods. So it was back in April and I did eat some honey the night before the scan. The following day I had intestinal gas which might have misled the doctor and he thought that was a sign of chronic pancreatitis. I had the second scan in November after two months on ZC. Everything was right that time.

Even if pancreatitis was confirmed I would not have been able to change my diet accordingly. You see, it is a common Ukrainian wisdom that excess dietary fat leads to enormous strain on the pancreas. And a standard recommendation in this case would have been to drastically lower the amount of fat consumption and eliminate raw foods of any kind (especially fruits and veggies) since they actively stimulate the production of pancreatic juices and further exacerbate the inflammation. Patients are usually required to follow a healthy, ALL COOCKED, very low fat, starch based diet…

It is interesting how over the past three years I’ve been kindly advised by the knowledgeable doctors and just ordinary people to significantly lower my fat intake or I will overwhelm and exhaust my pancreas over time.

I think if there was a bile duct obstruction that would have caused high levels of bilirubin. Any mine were just perfect.

Taking any enzymes on all raw diet goes against the core concept of raw eating. Moreover I have always been of opinion that such approach just papers over the problem and doesn’t really address the cause.

Who knows maybe one day I happen to be in the States or you visit Ukraine and we will have a friendly meat up…

p.s. since you complimented me on my command of English I may assume that you are either a foreigner or have been involved in some kind of linguistic study and realise perfectly well how much effort it may require to master a foreign language especially if you have never been abroad and didn’t have the real life practical experience. In most cases native speakers pay little if any attention to language skills as they take this aspect for granted.

Offline 00nightstorm

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 30, 2010, 08:47:24 am »
I agree with you about use of dietary enzymes but if you took them and experienced immediate improvement then that would be a way to pinpoint the cause of your problems as being purely enzymatic and related to the pancreas.  Is it possible to have normal levels of bilirubin and still have bile duct obstruction?  What about obstruction of the pancreatic duct?  Gallstones in the ducts don't always show up in ultrasounds...

What about pancreatic insufficiency? 

Pancreatic insufficiency is the inability of the exocrine pancreas to produce and/or transport enough digestive enzymes to break down food in the intestine and to allow its absorption.

Pancreatic insufficiency usually presents with symptoms of malabsorption, malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, and weight loss (or inability to gain weight in children) and is often associated with steatorrhea (loose, fatty, foul-smelling stools). Diabetes may also be present in adults with pancreatic insufficiency.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2010, 08:56:27 am »
New idea for you Yuri:

Try olive oil enemas. http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/05/30/irritable-bowel-syndrom-ibs-possible-cure-try-olive-oil-enemas/

Try Gerson Protocol, the original one with raw calf liver, young goat liver will work too. http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/gerson1.html
Timing and the right combination is important.

It's not about cancer, it is about re-training your system to absorb nutrients.  To reset your body.

It seems your fruitarian experiment did the most damage.  You need some push.

Let us know your results.  You always do.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 17, 2010, 09:59:36 am »
Hi Yuri

I still find it difficult to believe diet is your problem. All these crazy enemas/detox's/enzymes/macronutrient profiles etc etc just seem so ridiculous and possibly harmful when I look at this board from a non-health-nut perspective.

This is something which has helped me in the past. Have a look.

http://www.tmshelp.com/

Check out the testimonials, there's people on there who have come from the living dead. They sound in worse shape than yourself!

[/url]http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2433[/url]
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:01 am »
Thanks mate, I’ll check into that.

The long-drawn raw ZC atrocity is finally over. The fruit season has just begun and there are a couple of lbs of black currants in my today’s menu. After zeroing for nearly 10 months I am switching over to the higher carb (lots of local berries/fruits), lower protein/fat summer paleo diet. Let’s see how it feels.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:11:18 am by rawlion »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #424 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:45 am »
They look good.
I've never tasted them.
Good skill, let us know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk