Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 368967 times)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #375 on: February 09, 2010, 12:32:11 am »
didn't have diareaha, but had to lay on the couch for a weekend with no energy.  The body has to develop mean for using fat as fuel.  I would say it is adaptation.  look at the accounts of Stephason's men.  They all went through similar experiences.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 09, 2010, 12:35:21 am »
exercise does help.  It gets the blood and lymph moving, moves the intestines, gets oxygen to the brain etc.  Just don't do alot.  Walking is sufficient.  The tendency in the beginning is to just sit and lay around. 

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 09, 2010, 12:39:19 am »
Craving doesn't have to be for carbs. It could be also for more protein - I had got it.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:45 am »
When i exercise, i never get cravings for carbs for the rest of the day, it's only when i dont i find myself thinking of eating crap lol

Mainly because you're using your fat reserves far more efficiently for energy, then if you sit around

In order to use fat for energy efficiently you need to expend alot more energy, exercise is a part of that expenditure

Sedentary & endemic carb in tissue, brings on cravings for carbs, as a low exercise body burns fat far less efficiently, cravings for carbs, ie energy which uses less effort to use, occur

Fat is also far efficient then carbs in terms of density

Carbs have 4 calories per gram, while fat has 9 calories per gram

On a ketogenic diet, ie zero or low carb, diet, with exercise you're getting double the amount of calories by burning 1 gram of fat, then you would by burning 1 gram of carb's or sugar

Sedentary lifestyles crave carbs & sugar, because of their inability to use fat efficiently, even with ketogenesis, or on a low carb diet

Why people like aajonus or people who find exercise unhealthy, is because of the periodicity or their biological clock, after a term of ketogenesis, ie eating fat as a fuel, being stationary or sedentary forces them to use alternative forms of energy from their liver & muscle, which are different types of sugars from regular carbs, but still burn alot faster then fat

They would need prolonged exposure to exercise to allow their bodies to use energy from fat, when stationary or sedentary, as theyre bodies have adapted to processing sugars stored in their muscle liver etc., when sedentary or stationary
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:04:47 am by roony »

William

« Reply #379 on: February 09, 2010, 03:33:34 am »
I've been doing raw ZC for 3 weeks and this week, I had a bit of diarrhea, it was tolerable at 1st but yesterday it was pretty bad. I also had very little energy, no hunger, difficulty sleeping, so i ate some fruit yesterday and feel better already. It sounds like i've run into the same kind of troubles you did, do you know if anyone else on this forum experienced that too? Hopefully adding fruit will allow me to eat raw meat again without having diarrhea. I've had raw meat many times before doing raw ZC and never had this problem.

When a junkie addicted to heroin does cold turkey, he goes through withdrawal symptoms; if he takes heroin the withdrawal symptoms disappear.  It's that simple, except that you got your fix from carbs.

All of us doing RZC went through this.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2010, 03:48:47 am »
Except there seemed to be something else for me... Has anyone here had braising steak? The fat in fat doesn't taste nice, and is basically the same as the fat around kidneys and the heart. I was doing alright. Mainly I wasn't having that much fat because mostly I was eating this braising steak, or lamb which had fat like that too and I knew it would make me ill, but occasionally I'd force myself to eat a bit more of the fat than I could handle and I'd get ill. About week 3 I had way too much, and I was out with a proper fever then... Sent me back to square -5 -_-

During the 3 weeks I was doing lots of exercise, and never wanted carbs... I wanted fat.. but none of the fat I had tasted nice and it was bad so I mainly stuck to protein, so I had little energy(but even less when I had suety fat since it made me ill). I was much stronger, but when not doing exercise I was very cold... Eating the fat from lamb/braising steak would make me cold, or have no effect, where as the fat from rump steak(which I could only afford reduced) made me feel energetic. I struggled to believe it was raw as it tasted a bit like cooked fat, it was soft and yellowy too.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2010, 04:05:11 am »
I started having a look at what Dr. Cordain has to say about "Paleo"...well I found this

1) A lifetime of metabolizing glucose and stored muscle glycogen. When you get your only carbs from fruits and veggies, the carbohydrate content of the diet is severely reduced, and thus may initially lead to low blood sugar and lethargy.

2) The inability of peripheral tissues (i.e. muscle) to effectively use beta oxidation of intramuscular triglyceride as a substrate because flux through these pathways has been neglected for a lifetime. Once dietary CHO is reduced, then muscle must rely upon lipolysis from adipocytes as the major energy source, along with esterification of these free fatty acids at the muscle/blood interface in order to increase the intramuscular triglyceride pool.

This process takes about 1-2 months to occur in typical muscle glycogen compensated Westerners, and longer for women than men. Increasing the fat content of the diet and increasing fruit intake during the transitional phase will probably help with these energy issues.

But then again get your own "Paleo Diet Update" from him - I don't know...we talk about meat and fat - he believes low fat and all kinds of plants and fruit; if I go looking for wild plants and fruit I won't find any at this time of year...on top of that what about digestion!

Nicola

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2010, 06:29:42 pm »
A don't think so. When you exercice you need some amount of carbs, so if you don't eat them the craving will appear sooner or later.
  There's a big deal of difference between minor transitional symptoms as experienced by those who've successfully transitioned to raw zc, and the massive health-problems incurred by the majority who don't do well on RZC.

I continued the diet for a further 2-3 weeks in 2 of the trials. Of course, others have gotten even worse health-problems at an earlier stage, only a few days into the diet, so have had to give up earlier than me, or face hospitalisation in the end.

I gave rzc diet the benefit of the doubt when I tried it, much like with the raw-dairy-heavy Primal Diet. But , in the end, I had to give both up or end in the morgue. There's a limit to dietary fanaticism, and when one's health is completely compromised, it's wise to try something else.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 09, 2010, 06:51:40 pm »
  There's a big deal of difference between minor transitional symptoms as experienced by those who've successfully transitioned to raw zc, and the massive health-problems incurred by the majority who don't do well on RZC.

I continued the diet for a further 2-3 weeks in 2 of the trials. Of course, others have gotten even worse health-problems at an earlier stage, only a few days into the diet, so have had to give up earlier than me, or face hospitalisation in the end.

I gave rzc diet the benefit of the doubt when I tried it, much like with the raw-dairy-heavy Primal Diet. But , in the end, I had to give both up or end in the morgue. There's a limit to dietary fanaticism, and when one's health is completely compromised, it's wise to try something else.

Exactly, you need a broad spectrum of nutrition & bacteria, even with raw meats, limiting it to muscle meat, you severely limit your food groups, such as proteins & fats

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:03 am »
how do you eat the tip of an ox tongue? my teeth can't.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2010, 06:14:13 pm »
how do you eat the tip of an ox tongue? my teeth can't.
  Well, I just cut up the tip off with a knife , then cut it in two and ate those 1 at a time, just bolting them down. You really don't need to chew if the chunks are small enough.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2010, 06:43:22 pm »
I was talking about rawpalaeo sleeping-patterns in a previous thread. 1 thing I noticed about myself is that while I sleep a lot less than in pre-SAD days(even taking into account the chronic fatigue I had in pre-RPD days), I tend to wake up fully alert if I'm in a tent or if I'm facing a large window directly, and usually at break of dawn, even if I've gone to sleep past midnight. Conversely, if I'm in a darkened room with no sun's rays coming in, I can take till 8.30am to wake up, sometimes 9am, anmd initially feel rather tired.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »
Could there be anything wrong with eating tongues (from lamb and ox) as my main source of fat? I currently don't have access to a good source of fat or fatty meat, the meat i eat (ground horse) is very lean.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »
Could there be anything wrong with eating tongues (from lamb and ox) as my main source of fat? I currently don't have access to a good source of fat or fatty meat, the meat i eat (ground horse) is very lean.
Nothing wrong at all. I've depended almost wholly on raw tongue during many periods in which raw suet or raw marrow became unavailable for whatever reason. It's an excellent source of raw fat(if grassfed/wild).
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #389 on: February 17, 2010, 05:42:10 am »
One of the things that has brought me much joy in life in the last decade has been the website  allexperts.com. Not only do I enjoy answering questions on diverse subjects such as science fiction books  but I've also found it most useful for asking questions on subjects I'm not too familiar with. If you happen to be expert in some obscure subject(even if it's beekeeping or stamp-collecting or trainspotting etc.!), I would strongly urge you to volunteer on that site. I've always loathed the concept of charity in the form of giving money to others, as I find those types to be reminiscent of the utterly evil Mrs Jellyby of Charles Dickens fame, but volunteering information for free seems to be a worthwhile undertaking.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2010, 07:24:48 pm »
I'm about to go for a week's skiing so will be unavailable for any queries from members during that time. However, I have  1 minor thing to add to previous posts. I'm generally convinced that palaeoman ate aged raw meats much of the time, pre-cooking, given the obvious lack of fridges in those days. I therefore recommend that people age their raw meats a bit before eating. I do that from time to time, and I see it as a way to speed up/improve digestion. It's probably not necessary for me to do so while I'm still young, but I suspect that as I reach middle-/old-age I will benefit even more from increasing this practice as older people often slowly develop impaired digestion over the years(though that might be solely due to ingestion of cooked foods, of course).
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
I therefore recommend that people age their raw meats a bit before eating.
My recommendations are the same.
But this is one of the biggest anti-social issues.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »
My recommendations are the same.

me too!!

But this is one of the biggest anti-social issues.

i know!.. i can't let anyone see inside my fridge, lol.  (well, my meat is aging in the fridge and not room temp... is this okay??)

if my kitchen were to be observed, would someone think i just have a really well-fed dog??

Enjoy the slopes TD!

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »
i know!.. i can't let anyone see inside my fridge, lol.  (well, my meat is aging in the fridge and not room temp... is this okay??)
Aging a meat in the fridge is a slower process and IMO much convenient.
if my kitchen were to be observed, would someone think i just have a really well-fed dog??
I wish I lived near you ;)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2010, 09:20:32 pm »
I'm about to go for a week's skiing
I'm curious how you're gonna eat during that period of time.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:58 pm »
I'm curious how you're gonna eat during that period of time.
  I buy from a local supermarket over there. There used to be a butcher's who provided me with some high-quality raw meats but it went out of business. I'm able to get hold of things like raw pig's tongues and raw marrow if I order in advance, and of course there's fruit. Meat in Austria is often provided by small-time Austrian peasant-farmers so it's usually of much higher quality than the equivalent nonorganic meats found in UK supermarkets.

On the slopes, I either don't eat anything at all, or I bring some raw meats with me(rather difficult to eat such on the slopes unless I go far off-piste, so I do that rarely) - or I'll go to a restaurant either eating just raw fruit or, occasionally, some of the excellent (albeit cooked) wild game they often have there, such as wild boar  or stagmeat, since I can't always get those in the UK.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2010, 06:39:05 am »
Me three. I started air-drying/aging my meats more after I accidentally did it once and found I liked the taste, and realized it made sense to eat aged meat at least some of the time, since Paleo people's meat would have been left in the open air to age, and later smoked--which still involves some air-aging. I find I prefer the taste to damp meat fresh from a plastic package. I've noticed that folks at ZIOH and Dirty Carnivore seem to be aging their meats more these days too. It sounds like DelFuego was influential in that, but I haven't had a chance to read ZIOH much lately.

If I had a meat locker I wouldn't bother with my fridge/freezer unless I felt like eating some semi-frozen meat. Some of my relatives in rural Ireland didn't use a fridge until the 1970s and even when they got one they thought the idea of putting eggs in it laughable (and it really is). My great aunt kept the eggs in a ceramic pot by the door. It's amazing how much I was brainwashed into thinking that things HAD to go into a fridge (the utility companies certainly love the income from it).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2010, 07:43:45 am »
How would i go about air drying ground meat? I don't see how ground meat can be hanged. If i leave it on a plate, the part of the meat touching the plate won't get any air.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2010, 08:31:51 am »
me too!!

Enjoy the slopes TD!

Should post a photo of our fridges. I'm really caring less and less about my barren fridge. I feel so shit after eating SAD/Cheats I don't feel like socialising anyway so yeah it's this diet or moodiness/stress.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2010, 09:27:00 am »
To age meat don't you really need hooks?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk